• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 April NBA |OT| Pipe Dreams

These things are always stupid. Did the article account for opponents foul rate? Warriors are one of the most foul friendly teams, Lakers get fouled the most. Is it surprising there would be a game like this? Maybe they're playing a stretch of teams that foul a lot or are undermanned (ala Portland who played a lot of rookies)?

Also the Lakers also got Pau back in that stretch, someone who gets to the FT line a lot more than Clark and Jamison, whose minutes he took over. If the Laker FTs didn't go up since Pau came back, something would be wrong, since his career FT rate is much higher.

so then why are the Jazz shooting below their seasons average over the last 10 games? why isnt Al Jefferson going to the line as much as Pau? dude shot 2 free throws last night. thats offensive.

kobe get's superstar call just like any other superstar and we have hack a dwight. Cry more.

You mean used to get.

Hey by the way, if Rondo was not injured, you'd probably go back to being a Celtics fan, right? You should be a Heat fan next.

Emwitus

You mean used to get.

Hey by the way, if Rondo was not injured, you'd probably go back to being a Celtics fan, right? You should be a Heat fan next.

I definitely wouldn't be a knicks fan. I'm waiting for the celts to knock your sorry asses out of the playoffs again.

kobe get's superstar call just like any other superstar and we have hack a dwight. Cry more. I imagine a durant/dwight or harden/dwight pairing would average an absurd amount of foul calls a night. Let's not act surprised here.

it'd be pretty crazy to have the two leading fta players on one team. 50 fta a night be a regular occasion.

on another note, can anyone explain why Nets and Hawks games are so, sooooo boring?

Happened to look up at a tv in the bar right in time to see the injury last night. Knew it was bad when he couldn't put weight on it.

Sorry lakersage :[

Sorry nba fans :[

paully

Banned
Damn, Lakers GAF is depressing me more than Kobe's injury. Get a grip on reality, people. This isn't the same as a family member dying lmao. Kobe will bounce back, he's a warrior (no pun).

bluemax

Banned
How Much Have NBA Refs Been Helping the Los Angeles Lakers Make the Playoffs?

http://www.blazersedge.com/2013/4/13/4219640/Los-Angeles-Lakers-playoffs-refs-referee-free-throws-officiating-conspiracy-nba

I can see an argument for LA being rewarded more FTs because they are playing desperate basketball and being more aggressive about posting up and driving. but it doesnt explain why the Jazz are not reaching their seasons FT average 9 out of their last 10 games. theyre an inside out team. their bigs are being fouled.

I'm all for saying the NBA is rigged but that's a lot of uncontextualized small sample size theater.

so then why are the Jazz shooting below their seasons average over the last 10 games? why isnt Al Jefferson going to the line as much as Pau? dude shot 2 free throws last night. thats offensive.

Maybe they're playing teams that foul less? Why didn't Al Jefferson get called for a clear double dribble on his game deciding shot?

Jefferson never shoots a lot of FTs. He shoots 2.7 FTA this year, 2.9 last season. He's steadily declined in FTA since he tore his ACL, never more than 3.5FTA per game.

Why would is be offensive that a guy who averages 2.7 FTA per game would only get 2 FTs. Do you know how averages and standard deviations work?

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
If it's any consolation to anyone I have spent some time watching the video of Kobe's injury and it does look like his injury is really low on his Achilles and close to the attachment point.

If so that would mean the surgeon can go in, remove a small amount of the torn ends (just to clean it up in there) and reattach at his heal. This usually is done by overlapping the ends of the tendon and sewing them together and in some situations the tear is low enough that the surgeon is able to attach directly over the existing attachment point so the scar tissue winds up encapsulating the tendon and the bone a bit.
* my tear was approx 3 inches above attachment point and is a much longer recovery process. But I don't play for the Lakers so it's all good. My career of being a dad isn't over. I will update Twitter soon, thanks for all the support*

His tendon will be a bit shorter for sure but the lower the injury occurs the better the recovery. Add in the wonders of science and I think you will see a good basketball player again.
I am making an attempt at an educated opinion here. It is just an opinion but I consulted with a NHL player and a national level high jumper in the past and assisted them through their Achilles injuries and now have my own issues so I have a bit of experience with the process.

I wish I could be a fly on the wall to see his recovery process. The blood plasma stuff that athletes are doing now alone could make a significant difference to his recovery. The biggest issue with the Achilles tendon is it has such a limited blood supply. After the first five to seven days of injury the blood supply starts dropping back to a normal level and that benefit to the healing process is gone. And then you have HGH and it's healing properties. I wish I could get my hands on some of that right now. :)
* my guess is that the NBA doesn't do any HGH testing until Kobe retires.

A full rupture of the achilles. He'll be back but he'll never be the Kobe we saw.

I honestly think that we may be about to see the best Achilles recovery in the history of the world.

edit: I spent too much time on that for it to be buried on the bottom of the previous page :)

Karakand

* my tear was approx 3 inches above attachment point and is a much longer recovery process. But I don't play for the Lakers so it's all good. My career of being a dad isn't over. I will update Twitter soon, thanks for all the support*

retweet, fav, screencap + post on popular video game message forum

If it's any consolation to anyone I have spent some time watching the video of Kobe's injury and it does look like his injury is really low on his Achilles and close to the attachment point.

If so that would mean the surgeon can go in, remove a small amount of the torn ends (just to clean it up in there) and reattach at his heal. This usually is done by overlapping the ends of the tendon and sewing them together and in some situations the tear is low enough that the surgeon is able to attach directly over the existing attachment point so the scar tissue winds up encapsulating the tendon and the bone a bit.

His tendon will be a bit shorter for sure but the lower the injury occurs the better the recovery. Add in the wonders of science and I think you will see a good basketball player again.
I am making an attempt at an educated opinion here. It is just an opinion but I consulted with a NHL player and a national level high jumper in the past and now have my own issues so I have a bit of experience with the process.

I wish I could be a fly on the wall to see his recovery process. The blood plasma stuff that athletes are doing now alone could make a significant difference to his recovery. The biggest issue with the Achilles tendon is it has such a limited blood supply. After the first five to seven days of injury the blood supply starts dropping back to a normal level and that benefit to the healing process is gone. And then you have HGH and it's healing properties. I wish I could get my hands on some of that right now. :)
* my guess is that the NBA doesn't do any HGH testing until Kobe retires.

I honestly think that we may be about to see the best Achilles recovery in the history of the world.

edit: I spent too much time on that for it to be buried on the bottom of the previous page :)

Thanks for the write up I hope your right.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Kobe is on instragram lol Man Konex you must have mixed emotions. It takes a major injury to be able to stalk him more.

Vahagn

If LA just buys Kobe out of his contract this summer and he retires - when's the earliest he can come back?

What's the cleanest way to wipe off 80 million of obligations and still get Kobe back in about a year.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
I feel like I learn something every time Truelize posts.

Thanks man I appreciate it.

My recent shoe info session kind of woke me up a bit. I have been pretty down about this injury and it was fun to get a chance to make my brain work again. Since then I have contacted several old contacts, started training for my own recovery properly and have had conversations with two athletes that would like my help this summer to prepare them for their next season of university ball. I feel like I'm moving forward again.

A special thanks goes out to Adidas too I guess!

Shadow780

He can sit out a year to play in China and show T-Mac how it's done.

He's basically a demi-god over there.

xxxN5FI.jpg

If LA just buys Kobe out of his contract this summer and he retires - when's the earliest he can come back?

What's the cleanest way to wipe off 80 million of obligations and still get Kobe back in about a year.

You cant' resign a guy after you amnesty him.

Nope.

Lakers can Amnesty him and bring him back in 2014. Only rule is you can't sign someone until their contract ends. For instance, Scola has 2 more years left so Houston can't bring him back til then. but Kobe has just next year so if he were to sit it out, Lakers could amnesty him, get the MLE back, drop below LT, and re-sign him in 2014.

But Kobe would have to agree with this, I'd imagine.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
I really do feel like all the time off is just gonna extend Kobe's career if anything

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes

Amnesty.

I really do feel like all the time off is just gonna extend Kobe's career if anything

Not sure, how.

Kobe won't play long if he can't play offensively at a damn good level. He won't be a 15ppg or less player. Once he dips below 20ppg and under 30mpg, he'll call it quits.

If you think he will make a full recovery at 34, and granted if anyone could it's him, then perhaps. But I just don't see it with this type of injury.

I think he goes for one more go at it, surpass MJ in points, and then his body will break down too much and it will be over. I'm not usually this pessimistic, but fuck.

Even the weather in LA is suddenly shit today after 2 weeks of awesomeness.

thekad

Banned
Just saw the last few calls last night again... Man, the Warriors got screwed. Sorry pilon even though it helps the Rockets.

That foul they called on Curry was truly amazing.

Sanjuro

Not sure, how.

Kobe won't play long if he can't play offensively at a damn good level. He won't be a 15ppg or less player. Once he dips below 20ppg and under 30mpg, he'll call it quits.

If you think he will make a full recovery at 34, and granted if anyone could it's him, then perhaps. But I just don't see it with this type of injury.

I think he goes for one more go at it, surpass MJ in points, and then his body will break down too much and it will be over. I'm not usually this pessimistic, but fuck.

Even the weather in LA is suddenly shit today after 2 weeks of awesomeness.

I do find the 20PPG pretty funny. I'm hoping when he comes back, there is some sort of graphic monitoring his PPG. The moment he hits 19.9PPG, he just retires on the spot.

Welp that didn't take long...

yDx3pZY.jpg

For this to be accurate, D12 would be dropping Kobe on his head.

That said, I'm convinced the Lakers will be better in the long term moving on with Howard and their post-Kobe era.

I dislike Kobe's attitude and how he's been crapping on his teammates all season, but man you never want to see someone go down like that. Here's to a full recovery!

Looks like the hockey vs nba thread blew up

A lot of those 'tough guy' fans are the same dudes who can't take any shit when it comes their way

balddemon

Banned
Looks like the hockey vs nba thread blew up

A lot of those 'tough guy' fans are the same dudes who can't take any shit when it comes their way

stuff like that thread is why I don't leave the nba thread for sports related threads. in general, gaf is ignorant and obnoxious as hell when it comes to sports.

Top Bottom