• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 April NBA |OT| Pipe Dreams

Omiee

Could not read all the news around but some sites are saying he is out for 6 to 9 months. That means he could either be back for the start of the season or miss the first 3 months right?

Thats better than some people expected right? Some people were saying this was the end of his career.

Hellion

y3hd+

itshappening.gif
Woooohooo Kobe signing as a knick. Believe.

Vestal

That doesnt make someone a good defender. The whole point of team defense is excerting the energy for large periods of time

this also comes down to defensive schemes and using each individuals talents on the defensive end. You don't need to kill yourself on defense if the system is set correctly. Look at Miami defense it even makes Ray Allen look competent on defense because of how everyone is in sync and how the traps trigger. Their defense basically comes down to trust, trust that if you push a player 1 direction on a drive and "let him go by" a defender will step up.

If Pringles gave half a fuck about defense they would set up a similar system, forcing players towards Howard.

giri

d[-_-]b;53811090 said:
Lol what were they thinking signing him for that money, does anyone know because since last season he was garbage.

We need another old player after we cut Thomas :(.

the fields money was an attempted cock block so they couldn't sign nash or something.

As usual, it backfired.

d[-_-]b;53811090 said:
Lol what were they thinking signing him for that money, does anyone know because since last season he was garbage.

We need another old player after we cut Thomas :(.

I honestly believe that BC signed Fields trying to get Lin to Tdot.

If it's any consolation to anyone I have spent some time watching the video of Kobe's injury and it does look like his injury is really low on his Achilles and close to the attachment point.

If so that would mean the surgeon can go in, remove a small amount of the torn ends (just to clean it up in there) and reattach at his heal. This usually is done by overlapping the ends of the tendon and sewing them together and in some situations the tear is low enough that the surgeon is able to attach directly over the existing attachment point so the scar tissue winds up encapsulating the tendon and the bone a bit.
* my tear was approx 3 inches above attachment point and is a much longer recovery process. But I don't play for the Lakers so it's all good. My career of being a dad isn't over. I will update Twitter soon, thanks for all the support*

His tendon will be a bit shorter for sure but the lower the injury occurs the better the recovery. Add in the wonders of science and I think you will see a good basketball player again.
I am making an attempt at an educated opinion here. It is just an opinion but I consulted with a NHL player and a national level high jumper in the past and now have my own issues so I have a bit of experience with the process.

I wish I could be a fly on the wall to see his recovery process. The blood plasma stuff that athletes are doing now alone could make a significant difference to his recovery. The biggest issue with the Achilles tendon is it has such a limited blood supply. After the first five to seven days of injury the blood supply starts dropping back to a normal level and that benefit to the healing process is gone. And then you have HGH and it's healing properties. I wish I could get my hands on some of that right now. :)
* my guess is that the NBA doesn't do any HGH testing until Kobe retires.

I honestly think that we may be about to see the best Achilles recovery in the history of the world.

Great post, thanks for the info. And I agree with the last part!

Could not read all the news around but some sites are saying he is out for 6 to 9 months. That means he could either be back for the start of the season or miss the first 3 months right?

Thats better than some people expected right? Some people were saying this was the end of his career.

I've been saying this all day but people have latched onto the "out for the year" bs

I asked this before the injury but i'll ask it again...

Laker fans, do you really want to see your team in the playoffs?

Yes. What a stupid question.

I do not want to give Phx the draft pick. The Lakers without Kobe are still more entertaining to watch than Utah, as well.

I'll take 4+ games of Nash and Pau please.

I've been saying this all day but people have latched onto the "out for the year" bs

It's really a 6-12 month timetable. No one knows how fast he'll recover. What we do know is the youngest people take 6 months at minimum, the older players generally 9+ months and some never do come back effectively.

But the sample size is small and the science has changed quickly.

giri

Yes. What a stupid question.

I do not want to give Phx the draft pick. The Lakers without Kobe are still more entertaining to watch than Utah, as well.

I'll take 4+ games of Nash and Pau please.

Uhh, my understanding is PHX get the pick regardless, it just won't be a lotto pick.

Though i cbf reading to confirm.

heavy will you stop guaranteeing shit, you aren't a part of recovery or playing basketball

I'm pretty sure a lot of Lakers fans were spending the latter part of the off-season saying that DWIGHT IS CLEARED WE GOOD TO GO

Uhh, my understanding is PHX get the pick regardless, it just won't be a lotto pick.

I believe Cleveland has the right to swap their Miami pick with it if it's outside the top 14. If that's the case, Phx gets the Miami pick. I'm fine with that.

Yeah who doesn't want to watch Dwight brick free throws on a team without the ability to even keep the game close?

So instead we should watch Al Jefferson get lost on defense and Favors riding the pine for 4 straight blowouts?

Utah is a boring team. Nash and Pau make the Lakers at least entertaining.

J2 Cool

Was watching the Lakers game last night at dinner, been crazy busy with work but check NBA scores at night. Bulls fan from Chicago, living in LA for some years.... And I feel devastated. I've become a Kobe fan more so than a Laker fan in the last few years without really realizing it. I was rooting against him with Boston playing them in 08. Just the longer he continues to do it, you get the sense that you're watching a real legend. Watching Rose get hurt last year was a totally different feeling. Like wind punched out of you, but more temporary. Moment lost now, two seasons, but... this is just different.

I meant to check Lakers score last night, but was running on 2 hrs sleep and didnt stop working long enough to. Checked this morning, worried they lost, really wanting to see this team in the playoffs and it's shocking. Don't expect to see Kobe go down ever. Such a shame, and we now have to wonder if we've seen the last of Kobe at an elite level. Really hate it. Still wanted my Lebron/Kobe Finals.

dalVlatko

Phoenix gets Miami's pick if LA gets into the playoffs

Cleveland has the right to swap the least favorable of their own 2013 1st round pick, Miami's own 2013 1st round pick (top-10 protected) and Sacramento's own 2013 1st round pick (top-13 protected) with the L.A. Lakers own 2013 first round pick (top-14 protected). If the L.A. Lakers own 2013 first round pick is #1-#14, then the L.A. Lakers' obligation to Cleveland shall be extinguished. [Cleveland-L.A. Lakers, 3/15/2012]

LA shot more free throws last night than the Jazz have in the last three games. and Utah pounds the rock inside all the time. shot just 7 free throws against Golden State the other night.
the media should be calling Stern out on this shit.

People need to start watching Lakers games & cut this b.s..

Every time Dwight gets the ball in his hands in the paint, he gets pummeled hard.
Teams aren't even taking a chance, they are just flat out fouling him immediately before he sets up to take a shot. Nothing biased about this.

Kobe as well, when he takes off fast, cuts, & drives to the basket with 2 or more defenders jumping up at him very closely, those calls tend to get any player a foul call. Even if their wasn't contact 100%.
Kobe also baits people more than anybody with fake jumpers & then jumps into the player.

Kobe24

Kobe Bryant Undergoes Successful Surgery
April 13, 2013 4:16 pm PDT
EL SEGUNDO — Los Angeles Lakers guard Kobe Bryant, who injured his left Achilles tendon late in the fourth quarter of last night’s 118-116 victory over Golden State, had an MRI exam this morning which confirmed a torn Achilles tendon.

After confirmation of the injury, Bryant elected to have surgery to repair the torn left Achilles tendon. The successful surgery was performed by Dr. Neal ElAttrache and Dr. Stephen Lombardo of the Kerlan Jobe Orthopaedic Group. Recovery time is expected to be a minimum of six to nine months.

The NBA’s fourth all-time leading scorer, Bryant currently ranks third in the NBA in scoring this season, averaging 27.3 points, to go along with 5.6 rebounds, a team-high 6.0 assists, 1.36 steals and 38.6 minutes in 78 games this season.

diehard

Fleer
People need to start watching Lakers games & cut this b.s..

Every time Dwight gets the ball in his hands in the paint, he gets pummeled hard.
Teams aren't even taking a chance, they are just flat out fouling him immediately before he sets up to take a shot. Nothing biased about this.

Kobe as well, when he takes off fast, cuts, & drives to the basket with 2 or more defenders jumping up at him very closely, those calls tend to get any player a foul call. Even if their wasn't contact 100%.
Kobe also baits people more than anybody with fake jumpers & then jumps into the player.

I do watch Laker games. You need to stop watching them with homer goggles.
If it means yo jazz go fishing? Yes.

Both teams are going fishing.

Only difference is we get a lotto pick out of it and our best player is coming back next season.

"DeAndre needs to prove that he can be a 48 minute per night player" /NBA TV pregame guy

That's right, DeAndre Jordan needs to start playing Wilt Chamberlain minutes to be good..

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
"DeAndre needs to prove that he can be a 48 minute per night player" /NBA TV pregame guy

That's right, DeAndre Jordan needs to start playing Wilt Chamberlain minutes to be good..

How bad do you want Gerald Henderson?

7 mil bad?

8 mil bad?

Top Bottom