• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 April NBA |OT| Pipe Dreams

The Wizards started 4-28 and are going to end up with the 10th pick and are 10th in the East.

I remember when Faze was predicting a best/worst-case of the 5th pick and how no one believed in that.

They would be fighting for the 4th seed if they had the same winning percentage since their 4-28 start for all season (.56) and that's despite injuries to Beal.

Kind of impressive.

The Wizards started 4-28 and are going to end up with the 10th pick and are 10th in the East.

I remember when Faze was predicting a best/worst-case of the 5th pick and how no one believed in that.

They would be fighting for the 4th seed if they had the same winning percentage since their 4-28 start for all season (.56) and that's despite injuries to Beal.

Kind of impressive.
I kept saying if they had a healthy Wall/Beal/Nene day 1 of the season they'd be right around 6th-7th seed, if not higher. They've got all the knuckleheads out and have good bigs to clean up poor perimeter D. Martell Webster has also been a godsend for them.

lulz at this card in the NCAA tourney thread

TheNatural said:
That's my point, you can't even touch guys anymore. Rick Pitino was even commenting on how he went to see Earl Clark play the Heat out in LA and how he didn't even touch Lebron and they called a foul, and how crazy it is the difference between the college and pro game these days.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gx_kqvy9nZA

Stuff like that back then is a dunk nowadays, no one even contests this stuff, they just clear out.

I don't think it has to be Big East basketball, and wouldn't want the game like that, but there's no worth in anything in the NBA to me these days. You're not allowed to play defense, 20 point leads are meaningless in the pro game because of 48 minutes and the 24 second clock, the whole regular season is completely worthless - teams play even less hard knowing it's an 82 game season. The first three quarters look like a pickup game.

If you enjoy it, fine, I don't. The Heat are going to win the title again, the playoffs are going to be boring as fuck, and nothing really amounts to much - as usual.

lulz at this card in the NCAA tourney thread

Why worry? Same as a teenager going off on his blog about how the world is fucked up and the government "fucking sucks, man". Only people who think college ball is actually better are gambling addicts, idiots, idiot college kids, and the idiot parents of ncaa players.

There's like three guys in college basketball per season that have any idea what defense is and those guys are generally befuddled by every pick-and-roll they see in the NBA in their first few months.

Never got the "no defense in the NBA!" argument. Well, I guess I do get it. It's a defense against the fact that there's really low scoring in college basketball by saying its praise worthy instead of being worthy of mockery, but it's completely false and really stupid.

It still wouldn't actually solve NCAAB's two biggest issues:

35 second shot clock
Possession Arrows

The biggest problem is that 99% of amateur players suck. They need to change the rules massively to favor offenses so to stop ineptitude from ruining the games. Removing charging fouls, banning zone defense, and banning handchecking would help offenses a lot (which is really really needed at this point) and would help prepare good players better defensively for the NBA as well.

There's like three guys in college basketball per season that have any idea what defense is and those guys are generally befuddled by every pick-and-roll they see in the NBA in their first few months.

Never got the "no defense in the NBA!" argument. Well, I guess I do get it. It's a defense against the fact that there's really low scoring in college basketball by saying its praise worthy instead of being worthy of mockery, but it's completely false and really stupid.

Wasn't there a lot more scoring in cbb back then?

The thing with no one-and-dones, a shorter shot clock, and a three point line that's further away (which are suggestions pretty frequently brought up) is that they would take away a lot of randomness and upset potential from the tournament which has gotten to be its draw. The long shot clock minimizes possessions, the short three point line makes college basketball shooting (the most random aspect of basketball) dependent, the fact that most great players are one-and-done means that most of the truly elite players will have never played in an NCAA tournament before their first (and only) one and will be suffering from nerves...I can see why those rules may not be discouraged.

That there's still handchecking, zone defenses, and charging penalties when barely anyone can play is more confusing to me.

Branduil

The thing with no one-and-dones, a shorter shot clock, and a three point line that's further away (which are suggestions pretty frequently brought up) is that they would take away a lot of randomness and upset potential from the tournament which has gotten to be its draw. The long shot clock minimizes possessions, the short three point line makes college basketball shooting (the most random aspect of basketball) dependent, the fact that most great players are one-and-done means that most of the truly elite players will have never played in an NCAA tournament before their first (and only) one and will be suffering from nerves...I can see why those rules may not be discouraged.

That there's still handchecking, zone defenses, and charging penalties when barely anyone can play is more confusing to me.

Getting rid of one-and-dones, unlike the other changes talked about, would be a return to the glory days of college basketball though. A big reason for college basketball being so terrible is the complete lack of talented stars who know how to play within a system.

Plus it also contributes to the NBA draft being such a crapshoot.

pilonv1

Zones don't bother me in college but the amount of contact allowed off ball is terrible.

That and 35 second shot clock, so many timeouts/stoppages and late game FT processions are far worse than zones.

Branduil

They need to reduce the number of timeouts in both the NBA and College. In fact, they should just make it so that each team can only take two timeouts max during the last two minutes, regardless of how many they have left.

Branduil

It actually doesn't gross me out that much just because there's so little blood. The sight of lots of blood more than anything else makes me queasy.

Nori Chan

It actually doesn't gross me out that much just because there's so little blood. The sight of lots of blood more than anything else makes me queasy.

Blood I can tolerate.

But a bone literally piercing the skin I have never seen in my life.
inb4wtfiswrongwithyou

Getting rid of one-and-dones, unlike the other changes talked about, would be a return to the glory days of college basketball though. A big reason for college basketball being so terrible is the complete lack of talented stars who know how to play within a system.

Plus it also contributes to the NBA draft being such a crapshoot.

Ehh, it would lead to college basketball being much more top-heavy (even if Anthony Davis didn't go to a one-and-done factory because of rule changes, the team he went to would have destroyed every team they faced by 20 points this year, same with if Durant had to stay another year or Irving) and most players (who are around for multiple years) suck so much that they can stop a player's ability from showing regardless of their experience.

Andre Drummond would probably go top 3 while Austin Rivers went in the 40s if there was the rule was two years and the top teams would be more fun to watch, but I can see the arguments against it before even getting into the stuff about whether they should really be stopping from earning money in the NBA.

Weird thing to say but an injury like that isn't as bad as it looks. One can make a full recovery, I would be more scared shitless about an injury you weren't able to see like a torn Achilles tendon or ACL tear

jobber

Would let Tony Parker sleep with his wife
Rick Patino and nasty leg breaks seem to go together.

He was coaching Puerto Rico in the FIBA Americas tournament when Edgar Sosa snapped his leg at the knee and Sosa was trying to life his leg so it was dangling. The game had like 10 seconds left and it was already decided by then.

Both teams were crying. I think the refs said FUCK THIS and called the game over. The announcer was legit shook.

with that said...I'm not looking at that new shit

Weird thing to say but an injury like that isn't as bad as it looks. One can make a full recovery, I would be more scared shitless about an injury you weren't able to see like a torn Achilles tendon or ACL tear

Yea. That is what I was trying to get at. Seems it will be easier recovery since its bone.

Branduil

OMG FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

WHY DID I CLICK ON THAT

image.php

Top Bottom