• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 April NBA |OT| Pipe Dreams

Sure, but does anybody pay $60mil for an über-defender nowadays?

Yes. It's generally for centers (Chandler and Hibbert and Noah are great defenders whose scoring is not good and they got that level of money. The first overall pick in the upcoming draft can't score at all) since perimeter players can't make the same impact generally, but Iggy can reach close to that level of impact.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Yes. It's generally for centers (Chandler and Hibbert and Noah are great defenders whose scoring is not good and they got that level of money. The first overall pick in the upcoming draft can't score at all) since perimeter players can't make the same impact generally, but Iggy can reach close to that level of impact.

Right, but I'm asking for perimeter players of Iggy's caliber. Shane Battier was better offensively and defensively in his prime than Iggy, and he was a MLE player through-and-through.

EDIT: NM, for some reason I thought Gay earned $60mil, he's making $82m :lol

Right, but I'm asking for perimeter players of Iggy's caliber. Shane Battier was better offensively and defensively in his prime than Iggy, and he was a MLE player through-and-through.

Let's put it this way: If Rudy Gay is overpaid at $60mil, what would that make Iggy?

Paid at the right level? Rudy Gay is like Iguodala if you took Iggy's super high level passing and defense and made them nearly non-existent so I don't get the comparison.

EDIT: NM, for some reason I thought Gay earned $60mil, he's making $82m :lol

wat

Iggy deserves $10 million a year at MOST.

Kirilenko is like a super injury-prone Iguodala who was coming off not playing in the NBA and he got $10m a year last year.

Iggy's arguably the best free agent this year other than Dwight and CP3 (I think Smith, West, and Millsap are better players, but there's a case for it) and is the best perimeter defender in the NBA, $60m isn't that laughable of a goal...

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Kirilenko is like a super injury-prone Iguodala who was coming off not playing in the NBA and he got $10m a year last year.

Iggy's arguably the best free agent this year other than Dwight and CP3 (I think Smith, West, and Millsap are better players, but there's a case for it) and is the best perimeter defender in the NBA, $60m isn't that laughable of a goal...

Nobody said Kirilenko's deal was a good one, but at least it was a 2 year deal. Also, David Kahn.

We're talking about paying Iggy, what? $16mil when he's 34?

Branduil

Perimeter defenders don't make nearly enough of a difference in today's NBA to be worth that much. Tony Allen makes like $3 million, you can nearly always get good perimeter defenders for around that much. Iggy does have other skills yes, but not nearly enough to be worth close to the max.

Remember 2010 Gerald Wallace? Best defensive non-center in the NBA, good offensive production with it. He was 27 then and fell off pretty fast on both ends (compared to when he peaked).

I worry about those types of players and wouldn't pay them more than $10 million ever. Iggy is not a max player at his age. He could be worth $5 million by this time next year; it just isn't worth the risk.

Check out Wallace vs Iggy at their peak 27 and at 29 (Wallace is 30 now).

http://bkref.com/tiny/JH1jF
http://bkref.com/tiny/nXc9M

Would not touch at high price tag. These players regress faster than the Battier types. And I think Iggy has slipped on defense this year.

edit: And FTR I agree that you don't overpay for perimeter defense in this league. The rules just don't allow for great perimeter defenders to make that big an impact; it's all about the interior D. It's why, even though Iggy plays good defense on Denver, Denver still isn't anything special or close to it on defense. He's a great guy to have on the team, but if I have to pay him $50 mil over 4 or 5 years (if I'm Denver), I balk at his age. Those contracts are what really hurt franchises.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Remember 2010 Gerald Wallace? Best defensive non-center in the NBA, good offensive production with it. He was 27 then and fell off pretty fast on both ends (compared to when he peaked).

I worry about those types of players and wouldn't pay them more than $10 million ever. Iggy is not a max player at his age. He could be worth $5 million by this time next year; it just isn't worth the risk.

Would not touch at high price tag. These players regress faster than the Battier types. And I think Iggy has slipped on defense this year.

edit: And FTR I agree that you don't overpay for perimeter defense in this league. The rules just don't allow for great perimeter defenders to make that big an impact; it's all about the interior D. It's why, even though Iggy plays good defense on Denver, Denver still isn't anything special or close to it on defense. He's a great guy to have on the team, but if I have to pay him $50 mil over 4 or 5 years (if I'm Denver), I balk at his age. Those contracts are what really hurt franchises.

Wallace's contract was a steal though.

Vahagn

I'm purposely not looking at that injury. From what I've read and what you guys are saying, Jesus.

And how anyone can like college ball over NBA ball is beyond me. If you live in a town with no NBA team and u went to a college with a great tradition, I can understand...but the product is so much worse than NBA ball. Saying otherwise is just silly. Much less talent, much less defensive skill, and despite that, far worse offensive production. Say what you will about NBA iso ball, but any half decent iso nba player is more effective than the most well drawn college play. Those kids would get locked down trying to run that shit against the Bobcats. And well tuned NBA offenses like the Spurs or the Heat are a million times more effective than even the best college offense.

Wallace's contract was a steal though.

Sure, at the time. Giving a 25 year old Wallace or Iggy a 5 year $50 million deal isn't bad at all.

When they're 30, however, it's terrible. Nets are already regretting their 4/40 and I bet whoever signs Iggy will as well.

Vahagn

Does anyone else find it ironic that TheKad, a Rockets fan, keeps bringing up the failures of this collection of past their prime talent on the LA squad?

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Sure, at the time. Giving a 25 year old Wallace or Iggy a 5 year $50 million deal isn't bad at all.

When they're 30, however, it's terrible. Nets are already regretting their 4/40 and I bet whoever signs Iggy will as well.

Yeah.

Its just weird how well that contract worked out considering all that was going on at the time. When he got that contract, he was barely worth it imo.

You guys can have Olynyk, OKC will take Len.

It's not the easiest choice for me right now, I'm still looking up clips/tape and looking through stats...last year I wouldn't have even looked at Len, but the way Drummond was basically an idiot at Uconn but better floor spacing + his physical helped him play well in the league...idk.

And we definitely need insurance against Okafor bailing/aging out of the league.

At the same time though Len seems like a mental midget and I'm tired of drafting physical tools over smart/intelligent players.

I probably still want Olynyk. If I'm wrong I'm wrong.

charsace

Sure, but does anybody pay $60mil for an über-defender nowadays?
Yes. And seeing as how the league is perimeter oriented his defense and ability to help run offense are a good thing to have.

You guys can have Olynyk, OKC will take Len.

Len is a huge project. Both a 7 fters Olynyk is a much better offensive player than Len, stronger, far more coordinated, just the better guy. Len is a poor man's Myers Leonard.

KingGondo

Banned
It's not the easiest choice for me right now, I'm still looking up clips/tape and looking through stats...last year I wouldn't have even looked at Len, but the way Drummond was basically an idiot at Uconn but better floor spacing + his physical helped him play well in the league...idk.

And we definitely need insurance against Okafor bailing/aging out of the league.

At the same time though Len seems like a mental midget and I'm tired of drafting physical tools over smart/intelligent players.

I probably still want Olynyk. If I'm wrong I'm wrong.
Does Len really seem that dim, or is that just based on his performance on the floor?

All I'm gonna say is that one of these big man projects is bound to work out. Swift, Sene, Mullens, Aldrich... Surely the next guy we draft will be a stud. Law of averages.

Does Len really seem that dim, or is that just based on his performance on the floor?

All I'm gonna say is that one of these big man projects is bound to work out. Swift, Sene, Mullens, Aldrich... Surely the next guy we draft will be a stud. Law of averages.

He's not an idiot...

His situation is similar to Drummond. Guard play in Maryland has been so terrible that it's just hard to gauge what Len can really do...but it's clear he's not that great offensively but could he grow to be? His physical tools are really really good.

It's a selection that would be based completely on development and upside...which would be terrible for OKC considering they hate development these days.

charsace

I'd rather just pay Ariza half of what Iggy will make.

752541466.gif

Not!

Ehh, I don't disagree with the fact that interior defense is definitely much more valuable than perimeter defense, but I think comparing Iguodala to Wallace is a bit unfair. Wallace had injury after injury and collision after collision before falling off a cliff like he has whereas Iguodala has been really durable throughout his career. I think Iguodala will age a good bit better. I would rather give Iggy 3 years, $36 million than 4/60, but if a team feels they have to spend money on a player and needs a wing, I wouldn't be surprised if he got it and I don't think it would be one of the 20 or 30 worst contracts in the league even when he's 34.

What are the number of teams with cap room that can afford giving a terrible offensive wing 12 million per though lol.

Here's another way of looking at it hypothetically: Clips could get Iggy at SF and lose Crawford or get Ariza and keep Crawford.

Just from a value perspective..

PBY

Banned
I know we need something to discuss here... But this Iggy talk is ridiculous. Im hearing the pro argument, but the reality is that a K like that will really hurt a few years in.

Vestal

I have not seen the injury yet either and I have no desire to click on that picture

Ever seen what happened to Sid Vicious back in WCW when he jumped off the second rope for the big boot landing on one foot?

Exactly that, but without a boot to cover how the leg looked afterwards.

The worst injuries I think I seen live were Shaun Livingston (and another nba player who had a similar one, can't remember who) and Willis McGahee...I am sure there are more but that shit was fuuuuuucked

people told me this kevin ware stuff was worse than livingston. jesus

Jeff-DSA

The worst injuries I think I seen live were Shaun Livingston (and another nba player who had a similar one, can't remember who) and Willis McGahee...I am sure there are more but that shit was fuuuuuucked

people told me this kevin ware stuff was worse than livingston. jesus

Ware has about 6 inches of bone sticking out of the middle of his shin. Think about that for a moment. You can probably visualize it and decide which is worse.

Top Bottom