• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 April NBA |OT| Pipe Dreams

I love Mario so I'm probably biased here, but I don't feel like the New series really is too similar to SMW.

The newer games had levels with generally one or two ideas/gimmicks that slowly build until the obstacles start feeling barely possible whereas SMW just throws random shit at you and doesn't really build up events too much in most levels. SMW also has tension from how fast it feels whereas NSMBW is slower but has obstacles that are much grander and huger to inspire panic. SMW feels really manic whereas NSMBW is more focused (though SMW is definitely more creative to a ridiculous degree)

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
For a second there I thought you were about to talk up Mario Chalmers.

It was the right move, honestly. Jason Kidd has really regressed. Tyson Chandler is really the only piece he should have kept and even he had a history of injuries. Peja retired. Jason Terry has regressed too. So I didn't expect him to overpay for old, regressing talent.

holy shit I forgot that Peja retired

or that he even existed

He was nuts against the Lakers but I remember I think after game 2 or 3 of the Finals that Carlisle realized it was a really, really, bad idea to have Peja out on the floor against Miami

god damn it carlisle shit all over our coaching staff in games 4-6

Branduil

The Mavs were never going to get as much out of career scrubs like Brian Cardinal and Deshawn Stevenson as they did that year.

Trading Corey Brewer for nothing was dumb though.

The Mavs were never going to get as much out of career scrubs like Brian Cardinal and Deshawn Stevenson as they did that year.

I wanted to throw glass at puppies every time Stevenson made a 3 and did the bullseye

The owners hold all the purse strings, don't get it twisted.

I know but I wish there was some arbiter who could shove all this dumb shit back in their face and tell them to stfu

Like other former UCLA players, such as Arron Afflalo, Malcolm Lee or Tyler Honeycutt, Muhammad does not get in the passing lanes very often, averaging under one steal per-40 minutes. As analysts such as ESPN's Kevin Pelton have pointed out, it's rare to find too many successful wing players who have been successful in the NBA without generating many steals in college, as that appears to be a major indicator of athleticism. Players who fit that profile as freshmen or sophomores include the likes of Harrison Barnes, Damion James, Luke Babbitt, Kirk Snyder, Wilson Chandler, Nick Young and Joe Alexander – which is not the most impressive list you'll find.

Perhaps more alarming is how few assists Muhammad generated this season, just 27 in nearly 1000 minutes of action. He ranks 78th among the 81 college players in our Top-100 rankings in assists per-40, and 79th in assists per possession. The only non-big men first round picks we found in the past 10 years who averaged fewer assists per possession as a freshman or sophomore are Michael Beasley, Morris Almond, Lazar Hayward, Al Thornton, and that's it. Beasley, Hayward and Thornton played mostly at power forward before being converted to the wing in the NBA. Is Muhammad a selfish player as his poor body language occasionally suggests, or was his role as a finisher in Ben Howland's offensive simply not conducive to generating assists?

lol

Some PG any PG
Mayo / Vince
Marion / Brewer
Dirk
Chandler

would have been interesting. Better than the Mavs teams that they've fielded the last few years, at least.

Shame cause Chandler is the kind of player Dirk has needed his whole career...

Major hype pre-Howland is always a reason to draft a guy though.

He seems like a guy who's interests are the NBA lifestyle (money, girls, fame) far exceed actual basketball goals though, which combined with his playstyle is just disastrous for teams like the Kings and Wizards with their drafting history.

Might be a good gamble for a team with some vets that can humble his ass though.

NBA DRAFT.NET PRE-FINAL FOUR MOCK DRAFT said:
McLemore bounced back with a big final game against Michigan, showing off his feathery touch and athletic gifts. He is not a finished product and scouts will nitpick his level of assertiveness, lack of a fiery personality and other aspects leading up to the draft. But at the end of the day, he's the guy in this draft with the greatest shot at becoming a superstar.

Lol wat

And their continued insistence that the Cavs will draft yet another PG/SG hybrid seems kind of crazy.

I'm starting to like Bennett more though

NBADraft.net is pretty garbage in general. Hassan Whiteside was the next David Robinson according to them.

BREAKING: Former NBA player Javaris Crittenton has been indicted on murder charges. @TVRyanYoung will have the latest on Ch. 2 at 5.

:/

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Gil still shat in people's shoes doe. That's fucking wrong lol.

corey brewer and rudy fernandez could have been an interesting rotation at the 2/3 spots for the mavs. i mean they didn't really do anything together in denver that year either, but the possibility of dallas having two comparatively younger swingmen getting solid minutes should have been explored.

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
Yeah, but Kahn really doesn't get a say in many bball related moves any more, does he?

My understanding was adelmans son basically looks after that stuff now.

That's what I've seen intimated, but it isn't really clear what Kahn does anymore. But the mere idea of having that dude around and in Glen Taylor's ear in any capacity is nauseating.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
You guys see the Mike Rice video?

Even Larry Brown wouldn't do that shit
in public

The AD not firing him and only suspending him a handful of games is almost as pathetic. It is making Rutgers look absolutely awful that both of these people have not been terminated yet.

Rodeo Clown

All aboard! The Love train!
What I really like about the NCAA is that if a kid wants to transfer from Rutgers because of his coach, he can't play for a year.

giri

That's what I've seen intimated, but it isn't really clear what Kahn does anymore. But the mere idea of having that dude around and in Glen Taylor's ear in any capacity is nauseating.

The suns real hope is that by the end of his next 3 years contract lon won't have any more ex-clients that he can sign.

Because they were all terrible and should be out of the league.

Oh well, it's a 10 year wait now for the suns.

so far to go.

You guys see the Mike Rice video?

Even Larry Brown wouldn't do that shit
in public

thats some messed up shit. rutgers looks absolutely terrible as well. $50k and 3 game suspension...im sure he learned his lesson!

if calling your players "fucking faggots" and physically abusing them doesnt get him fired, what will?

charsace

I love Mario so I'm probably biased here, but I don't feel like the New series really is too similar to SMW.

The newer games had levels with generally one or two ideas/gimmicks that slowly build until the obstacles start feeling barely possible whereas SMW just throws random shit at you and doesn't really build up events too much in most levels. SMW also has tension from how fast it feels whereas NSMBW is slower but has obstacles that are much grander and huger to inspire panic. SMW feels really manic whereas NSMBW is more focused (though SMW is definitely more creative to a ridiculous degree)

I agree. The changes were made to make the game more accessible.

thats some messed up shit. rutgers looks absolutely terrible as well. $50k and 3 game suspension...im sure he learned his lesson!

if calling your players "fucking faggots" and physically abusing them doesnt get him fired, what will?

Well, there's always child molestation, but even that will have to brought to public before the college says anything about it

I agree. The changes were made to make the game more accessible.

I don't know if the slower pace with more buildup really was for accessibility. The extra lives and ability to save did that pretty well and both the old and new styles are pretty accessible. I think Nintendo's designers are better now at making games that focus on one concept and build it up to its most extreme possibility whereas the designers back then were better at creating a ton of new ideas that they could throw at the player as frequently as possible.

Some PG any PG
Mayo / Vince
Marion / Brewer
Dirk
Chandler

would have been interesting. Better than the Mavs teams that they've fielded the last few years, at least.

Shame cause Chandler is the kind of player Dirk has needed his whole career...

Chandler, yes. The others? No. That team would have been a five seed at best (due to Dirk's injury) and it would have been an extremely old team. I think Cuban understands that he has two options:

1) Try to get a triple A free agent that would allow Dirk to become the second option.

2) If that fails, surround Dirk with a legit second option and surround him with young players and solid veterans.

Anything would be better than this year. I still can't believe who their starting PG is.

Top Bottom