• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 April NBA |OT| Pipe Dreams

I like that this season's exposed what it's like to be a teammate of Kobe Bean Bryant. I'll tell my kids about it 10 years down the road when sports media throws Duncan under a bus and calls Kobe the best basketball player of his generation.

All those excuses and yet the "big 4" are like 6-14 when playing together.

That's misleading, though. It includes games like Nash breaking his leg early, Dwight hurting his shoulder late (which cost the win), Dwight getting ejected at halftime and I believe another ejection, etc, Pau getting concussed, and also most of the games have been against playoff teams prior to Pau and Kobe's return last week.

And they're 7-14.

Still a slightly better record than the Jazz, though. Shouldn't you still be crying over Stockton Jr. choking like daddy?

I like that this season's exposed what it's like to be a teammate of Kobe Bean Bryant. I'll tell my kids about it 10 years down the road when sports media throws Duncan under a bus and calls Kobe the best basketball player of his generation.

Exposed what exactly? All things considered, Kobe's been a better teammate than anyone would have expected. Force feeding Dwight, standing up for Pau and praising guys like Meeks, Jamison, Blake all season long.

This season exposed the team's age and poor coaching choices.

So salty. It's ok. The greatest player of the last decade will retire with atleast 5 rings, 32000+ points, and much more.

SamuraiX-

ZjWfZg1.png

wut wut

You missed pau's concussion. Really an insane season health wise

The wiz loss broke me. I just have no more cares to give. I still don't want to give the suns that pick but it's just not in me no more.

Crazy? I dunno. The team was already old, and the youngest superstar you have just came off major back surgery.

Crazy? I dunno. The team was already old, and the youngest superstar you have just came off major back surgery.

Jordan Hill is young and broke his hip.

Sure, Howard was starting off hurt but Pau hasn't been able to get healthy for more than 3 games the entire season. Blake getting an ab strain is pretty random. Nash breaking his leg is a super rare basketball injury.

I expected missed games of course, but I didn't think there would be this many 6+ week injuries. Lakers have had 5 main guys have 6+ week injuries (both Steves, Pau, MWP, and Hill).

edit: The Lakers would be giving up 135 a night if Dwight was hurt and this version of Pau played C. Howard has actually been very good the past month or so on defense, even more so of late. But everyone else is getting worse and MWP was the only other defender worth a shit. Hes obviously a LOT healthier now. His defense is so active and covers so many mistakes. But the Lakers make waaaaaaay too many mistakes (Kobe, Clark, Pau especially right now) that he can't do it all.

diehard

Fleer
Still a slightly better record than the Jazz, though. Shouldn't you still be crying over Stockton Jr. choking like daddy?

just the fact that Laker fans are still bringing this up is hilarious to me.

Youre better than a team led by an Al Jefferson that doesn't care? grats man.

um why would i care about Gonzaga.

aznpxdd

So...cancel the parade??

I wished I had more time to watch Lakers, but between timezone, work, MBA and the GF, no fucking time!

Jordan Hill is young and broke his hip.

Sure, Howard was starting off hurt but Pau hasn't been able to get healthy for more than 3 games the entire season. Blake getting an ab strain is pretty random. Nash breaking his leg is a super rare basketball injury.

I expected missed games of course, but I didn't think there would be this many 6+ week injuries. Lakers have had 5 main guys have 6+ week injuries (both Steves, Pau, MWP, and Hill).

edit: The Lakers would be giving up 135 a night if Dwight was hurt and this version of Pau played C. Howard has actually been very good the past month or so on defense, even more so of late. But everyone else is getting worse and MWP was the only other defender worth a shit. Hes obviously a LOT healthier now. His defense is so active and covers so many mistakes. But the Lakers make waaaaaaay too many mistakes (Kobe, Clark, Pau especially right now) that he can't do it all.

Oh right. Yeah, I guess if you guys have Jordan Hill playing more minutes you'd be all good. That's like me saying Gary Neal's plantar fasciitis is why we don't have our own 20 game win streak

Oh right. Yeah, I guess if you guys have Jordan Hill playing more minutes you'd be all good. That's like me saying Gary Neal's plantar fasciitis is why we don't have our own 20 game win streak

Man, I'm only pointing out how deep the injuries went. Even one of the team's young and athletic dudes had a major injury. When was the last time an NBA player broke a hip?

The Hill injury wouldn't be as big a deal if Pau or Dwight wasn't hurt at the same time just like the two steves injury.

Old team got plagues by injuries. It is what it is. Minnesota got fucked by it, too. Portland a few years back was the worst I've seen.

just the fact that Laker fans are still bringing this up is hilarious to me.

Youre better than a team led by an Al Jefferson that doesn't care? grats man.

um why would i care about Gonzaga.

You care about Jimmer!

The Lakers have some major decisions to make in the off season. I'm not convinced that they should resign Dwight. I think he could be better utilized on another team. If he only cares about money then he'll resign with LA. If he actually cares about being a major cornerstone of a franchise and winning he'll go elsewhere.

The Lakers have some major decisions to make in the off season. I'm not convinced that they should resign Dwight. I think he could be better utilized on another team. If he only cares about money then he'll resign with LA. If he actually cares about being a major cornerstone of a franchise and winning he'll go elsewhere.

The Lakers are the only franchise to make the finals in every decade.

Your comment is laughable. The team can hit the reset button in 2014 with Dwight, as well.

The Lakers are the only franchise to make the finals in every decade.

Your comment is laughable. The team can hit the reset button in 2014 with Dwight, as well.

The past has nothing to do with the state this team is in now. Nothing whatsoever. They're barely sniffing the playoffs now. Their entire team is sluggish, old, and they have terrible chemistry. If he sticks around for that he's a moron.

The past has nothing to do with the state this team is in now. Nothing whatsoever. They're barely sniffing the playoffs now. Their entire team is sluggish, old, and they have terrible chemistry. If he sticks around for that he's a moron.

Just like Dirk should have abandoned ship after another 1st round bounce out in 2010 on an old and busted team?

You are overreacting. Team was crazy hurt this season and they're still almost in the playoffs. There are maybe 4 teams in the league that could lose that many main rotation players that long and still be competing for the playoffs (with their superstar coming off back surgery).

This team has at most 1 more season of being old and sluggish after which Lebron is coming over.

Lebron is not coming to LA as long as Kobe is there. In fact, there won't be a single super star that goes to LA as long as Kobe is there. Your best shot is hoping that a bunch of journeymen, fringe all stars, and maybe a young player or two can mesh well with Kobe, Dwight Coward, and a hobbled Steve Nash.

Exposed what exactly? All things considered, Kobe's been a better teammate than anyone would have expected. Force feeding Dwight, standing up for Pau and praising guys like Meeks, Jamison, Blake all season long.

This season exposed the team's age and poor coaching choices.

that he wont hesitate to throw teammates under the bus for his own half assed D and bad shot selection.

Mamba said:
I need some help offensively to save energy and not have to isolate and do things like that. I'm going to need some picks. I'm going to need to catch-and-shoot … to make my job a little easier.
this was after an 8-25 shooting night. oh and his own man, Wade, scorched him.

linsivvi

He is a coach !

I'm pretty sure Nash tuned out this season. He's never really looked this bad.

I told you, he's still playing for the suns.

I think it's more like age finally catching up to him. He's 39 and he plays better than Kidd on most nights.

thekad

Banned
Lebron isn't moving to a third team wtf. He'll stay in Miami for a few more years then move back to Cleveland to end his career or just go straight to Cleveland.

The Lakers best hope is signing Love, but Dwight will probably be long gone by then.
I think it's more like age finally catching up to him. He's 39 and he plays better than Kidd on most nights.
Or that he is relegated to Steve Blake's role next to Kome.

Just like Dirk should have abandoned ship after another 1st round bounce out in 2010 on an old and busted team?

You are overreacting. Team was crazy hurt this season and they're still almost in the playoffs. There are maybe 4 teams in the league that could lose that many main rotation players that long and still be competing for the playoffs (with their superstar coming off back surgery).

This team has at most 1 more season of being old and sluggish after which Lebron is coming over.

Bulls have had worse injuries this year AND have less talent as well and they've done alright. Besides being in the Least, I think the difference comes down to coaching.

So salty. It's ok. The greatest player of the last decade will retire with atleast 5 rings, 32000+ points, and much more.

dude is a talented scorer whose been putting up 18 or more shots a game since 99...and hasnt sat out for any significant length of time. of course he gets buckets. you fucking better with that kind of relentless chucking.
But sure, he's the GOAT among his peers. if you dont value stuff like defense and being a team oriented player.

Dwight would do so well in D.C. Wall/Beal/Webster/Nene/Dwight...I think that team would actually give Miami problems.

Won't happen tho

Dwight would do well in Houston. team would basically be like Dwight's old Orlando team, but with a superstar guy out on the perimeter. Not sure what they do about Asik tho, dump him for a 6th man to come in off the bench?

Man, I'm only pointing out how deep the injuries went. Even one of the team's young and athletic dudes had a major injury. When was the last time an NBA player broke a hip?

The Hill injury wouldn't be as big a deal if Pau or Dwight wasn't hurt at the same time just like the two steves injury.

Old team got plagues by injuries. It is what it is. Minnesota got fucked by it, too. Portland a few years back was the worst I've seen.

You care about Jimmer!

The other thing to mention is that you have dumb ass coaches with dumb ass minute allotements. The Spurs big 3 is pretty old, esp in terms of pro basketball played, but Pop actually have a system that lets them blow out shit teams and manages minutes. And the Spurs have had a lot of injuries this year too. Leonard has missed a few weeks of games, there was the Duncan knee scare (he's just gotten back to where he was from that), TP missing games due to the ankle injury, and of course Manu is Manu.

I guess my point is, you have an old ass Laker team who has two players that play international ball, one off major back surgery, one is damn near 40, and shit coaches that are trying to kill them by playing them a lot of minutes in meaningless games (although to be fair, the Lakers depth was always shit. Then again, you guys did sink a lot of money into a core of players older than 32)

Emwitus

He isn't going to dallas thats for sure. lol Living in dallas, it amazes me how deluded fans can be sometimes. Why would dwight forego a team like houston to play in dallas? Or even the lakers? Especially after what mark cuban did to that title team. That might turn out to be the most reputation damaging decision a franchise can make. Although i understand him not wanting to end up in the same boat as the lakers, with them now paying pau 20/kobe 30, but atleast we had three straight years where we got to the finals which were all worth the pain now.

bionic77

I will say that it is crazy how Duncan seems to have been totally forgotten as a great player.

And also God I hate Pringles as our coach. We were spoiled by Phil Jackson for so long. I am pretty sure that Kobex is Jim Buss IRL.

I will say that it is crazy how Duncan seems to have been totally forgotten as a great player.

And also God I hate Pringles as our coach. We were spoiled by Phil Jackson for so long. I am pretty sure that Kobex is Jim Buss IRL.

Duncan doesn't market himself nor live in as a big as a market as Kobe. That's pretty much the main difference between the two. Dude is the best center in the NBA at age 36 (turning 37 this season) and he'll probably never miss the playoffs in his entire career.

bionic77

Duncan doesn't market himself nor live in as a big as a market as Kobe. That's pretty much the main difference between the two. Dude is the best center in the NBA at age 36 (turning 37 this season) and he'll probably never miss the playoffs in his entire career.
The same thing will happen to Kobe. The NBA is all about marketing the next guy. When you are trying to get new kids into the game they don't want to hear about how good Duncan was, they just want to hear that LeBron is the greatest basketball player of all time.

Thats what happen when you market the stars and not the teams. This isn't a problem in the NFL because that league is all about the teams.

Dwight would do well in Houston. team would basically be like Dwight's old Orlando team, but with a superstar guy out on the perimeter. Not sure what they do about Asik tho, dump him for a 6th man to come in off the bench?

I don't see how its comparable to Dwights old team at all though. Everyone on the roster other than him could hit the long ball. Jameer is a .38% career 3pt shooter.They had a great backup big in Gortat.

Everyone other than Harden are significant downgrades. No real stretch 4 on the roster. Financially maxed out after they trade for him unless they can move Asik for a piece.

ya think lol

Not sure why you act like he'd be going to Milwaukee or something. Guys are getting huge notoriety in D.C. Harper, Griffin, Strausburg, Ovie (when he played well). D.C's a nice market. Shit, Wall hasn't even done anything until just recently and he's got like 3 or 4 signature shoes between Reebok and Adidas.

I think the 5 year max is overrated. 4 years is good enough for guys of Dwight/Bron talent, because longevity isn't an issue. They know they can always squeeze out another contract if they want it.

The same thing will happen to Kobe. The NBA is all about marketing the next guy. When you are trying to get new kids into the game they don't want to hear about how good Duncan was, they just want to hear that LeBron is the greatest basketball player of all time.

Thats what happen when you market the stars and not the teams. This isn't a problem in the NFL because that league is all about the teams.

I'm not sure if you're saying Kobe will be forgotten or if he'll never miss the playoffs like Duncan

Cause neither will happen

KingGondo

Banned

Football is a far different sport than basketbal, and team success is far more dependent on star players in the NBA. Also, it's worth noting that most NFL players aren't nearly as recognizable because they wear helmets on the field and are 1 of 11 guys as opposed to 1 of 5.

bionic77

I'm not sure if you're saying Kobe will be forgotten or if he'll never miss the playoffs like Duncan

Cause neither will happen
Kobe won't be forgotten, but no one is going to want to talk about his accomplishments as a player once he is gone or close to it. Debating the past is only good for books, it does not sell tickets or get ratings. They do that by marketing the new stars.

It is already happening to a degree with Kobe btw. This is just the way its always been and always will be. People will do the same for LeBron once he starts to fade and KD or whoever is next takes over.

bionic77

Football is a far different sport than basketbal, and team success is far more dependent on star players in the NBA. Also, it's worth noting that most NFL players aren't nearly as recognizable because they wear helmets on the field and are 1 of 11 guys as opposed to 1 of 5.
It is different, but the problem might be less severe if they focused on marketing teams instead of the star players (I mean there are only a handful of teams with those). But then again I know fuck all about marketing. It is very possible that the league can only be popular if they market the stars. Also I am Lakers fan so this might come off as a bit hypocritical!

eh, NBA greats get screentime/acknowledgement on the regular once they are gone. The fact that you can see Bill Russell on TV a few times a year is kind of unbelievable considering the era he's from.

Emwitus

Not sure why you act like he'd be going to Milwaukee or something. Guys are getting huge notoriety in D.C. Harper, Griffin, Strausburg, Ovie (when he played well). D.C's a nice market. Shit, Wall hasn't even done anything until just recently and he's got like 3 or 4 signature shoes between Reebok and Adidas.

I think the 5 year max is overrated. 4 years is good enough for guys of Dwight/Bron talent, because longevity isn't an issue. They know they can always squeeze out another contract if they want it.

Let me put it like this. Dwight wants money and winning. Washington are years away from being competitive. Even with dwight they might barely be competitive and your front office hasn't shown any signs of being willing to make the necessary sacrifices to be competitive. Dwight is 27 years old coming off back surgery....why would he chose to come to washington? The only proven player on your team is wall....barely. Nene has knee issues, beal is too young and inexperienced, you have a terrible coach and front office, a city that doesn't attract free agents etc etc. He would get a bigger contract in la, have more deals and a bigger market for his shoes in LA, have a front office that has shown it's willing to spend to win...etc etc. Again, i'm only pointing out how laughable washington is as a destination compared to LA.....which isn't even the best option for him. I honestly see him finding a way to get back to brooklyn. I don't know how it's going to happen but it will.

bionic77

Is Dwight even worth the money?

He seems like such an idiot on and off the court. I guess we don't have any other option, but I don't see him ever winning a ring as the feature player on a team.

thekad

Banned
I don't see how its comparable to Dwights old team at all though. Everyone on the roster other than him could hit the long ball. Jameer is a .38% career 3pt shooter.They had a great backup big in Gortat.

Everyone other than Harden are significant downgrades. No real stretch 4 on the roster. Financially maxed out after they trade for him unless they can move Asik for a piece.

Lol

KingGondo

Banned
It is different, but the problem might be less severe if they focused on marketing teams instead of the star players (I mean there are only a handful of teams with those). But then again I know fuck all about marketing. It is very possible that the league can only be popular if they market the stars. Also I am Lakers fan so this might come off as a bit hypocritical!
Basketball has an inherent problem with parity IMO because star players are so important. It'd be different if more fans felt like their teams had a chance to be good, rather than tanking and praying you get one of the 1 or 2 potential star players in each draft.

Hell, I'm a Browns fan and I feel optimistic about next season with the addition of some players in the draft and new coaches.

Fans of bad teams in the NBA have little hope of seeing substantial improvement, especially in the short term. Sucks, but it's the truth.

Top Bottom