• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 April NBA |OT| Pipe Dreams

Emwitus

Basketball has an inherent problem with parity IMO because star players are so important. It'd be different if more fans felt like their teams had a chance to be good, rather than tanking and praying you get one of the 1 or 2 potential star players in each draft.

Hell, I'm a Browns fan and I feel optimistic about next season with the addition of some players in the draft and new coaches.

Fans of bad teams in the NBA have little hope of seeing substantial improvement, especially in the short term. Sucks, but it's the truth.

Nba is different because sticking a player like durant on the bobcats would make them a playoff team.

Washington is a playoff team right now, swap Okafor for Howard and they're far and away the 2nd best team in the East. In a few years they'd likely surpass the Heat as they age and/or break up.

I don't see how its comparable to Dwights old team at all though. Everyone on the roster other than him could hit the long ball. Jameer is a .38% career 3pt shooter.They had a great backup big in Gortat.

Everyone other than Harden are significant downgrades. No real stretch 4 on the roster. Financially maxed out after they trade for him unless they can move Asik for a piece.

Not sure why you act like he'd be going to Milwaukee or something. Guys are getting huge notoriety in D.C. Harper, Griffin, Strausburg, Ovie (when he played well). D.C's a nice market. Shit, Wall hasn't even done anything until just recently and he's got like 3 or 4 signature shoes between Reebok and Adidas.

I think the 5 year max is overrated. 4 years is good enough for guys of Dwight/Bron talent, because longevity isn't an issue. They know they can always squeeze out another contract if they want it.
no real stretch 4 on the roster? that Monteijunas kid has great range for a big, especially for someone as young as him. He can hit that long shot and will only get better at it with age. In the meantime, Parsons can play the four spot in a small lineup. He's shooting 37% from three this year on 5 attempts a game. JLin can hit wide open shots, he's a great passer off the pick and roll. Carlos Delfino is a great shooter coming in off the bench. that team is great for Dwight.

Smokey

no real stretch 4 on the roster? that Monteijunas kid has great range for a big, especially for someone as young as him. He can hit that long shot and will only get better at it with age. In the meantime, Parsons can play the four spot in a small lineup. He's shooting 37% from three this year on 5 attempts a game. JLin can hit wide open shots, he's a great passer off the pick and roll. Carlos Delfino is a great shooter coming in off the bench. that team is great for Dwight.

Monteijunas is Aight. Parsons is nice though and Lin is.. I dunno. His backups outshine him sometimes. I dunno if I'd even want Howard tho real talk, besides getting to use him in 2k.

Boggles my mind.

This Rockets team with Dwight wouldn't be similar to his old Orlando team. Not sure how that's even debatable. I didn't say they wouldn't be good. Obviously Hardens better than anyone Dwights played with.

Let me put it like this. Dwight wants money and winning. Washington are years away from being competitive. Even with dwight they might barely be competitive and your front office hasn't shown any signs of being willing to make the necessary sacrifices to be competitive. Dwight is 27 years old coming off back surgery....why would he chose to come to washington if it would take 5 more years to become competitive? He would get a bigger deal in la, have more deals and a bigger market for his shoes in LA, have a front office that has shown it's willing to spend to win...etc etc. Again, i'm only pointing out how laughable washington is as a destination.

Do you even watch basketball.

If Wall hadn't been injured we'd probably be the 4th best team in the East.

Stan Van Gundy said:
Listen, since John Wall’s come back, the only teams that have been better — you look at a per-possession basis — the only teams that have been better [in the East] have been Miami and Indiana," Van Gundy said. "New York is just barely ahead of them as the third, and then Washington is a clear fourth.

I don't understand the argument that a Dwight led Lakers team has a better chance of being competitive than Beal/Wall/Dwight. Everyone on the Lakers is expiring and the only all-star they might be able to even get in free agency is Love, and I don't think he even leaves. Dwights going to be stuck on a treadmill in LA.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Washington is a playoff team right now, swap Okafor for Howard and they're far and away the 2nd best team in the East. In a few years they'd likely surpass the Heat as they age and/or break up.

Too bad Wall is getting the Max.

They'd be better off with Rondo...
If Wall hadn't been injured we'd probably be the 4th best team in the East.
Like this is indicative of success or something. Even the fucking Lakers could be the 4th best team in the East.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I don't see how its comparable to Dwights old team at all though. Everyone on the roster other than him could hit the long ball. Jameer is a .38% career 3pt shooter.They had a great backup big in Gortat.

Everyone other than Harden are significant downgrades. No real stretch 4 on the roster. Financially maxed out after they trade for him unless they can move Asik for a piece.

Not sure why you act like he'd be going to Milwaukee or something. Guys are getting huge notoriety in D.C. Harper, Griffin, Strausburg, Ovie (when he played well). D.C's a nice market. Shit, Wall hasn't even done anything until just recently and he's got like 3 or 4 signature shoes between Reebok and Adidas.

I think the 5 year max is overrated. 4 years is good enough for guys of Dwight/Bron talent, because longevity isn't an issue. They know they can always squeeze out another contract if they want it.

Yeah...

And Dwight made a lot of these guys better 3 point shooters than they really were. Jameer has fallen off a cliff in that regard since Dwight left.

Totally reasonable to expect guys that play with him to have their percentages tick up a bit as they get more open looks.

DY_nasty

You'll be paying Kemba the max in two years.

That's just the way the NBA is now bro

Dude, you were the one saying getting Okafor and Ariza was a good move in the first place.

It was never a good move. Your FO is short-sighted and dumb. All a team has to do is NOT commit to tanking to be in the playoff discussion in the East. That's all. If your team isn't better than the Knicks, it isn't worth talking about as a successful team.

Dude, you were the one saying getting Okafor and Ariza was a good move in the first place.

It was never a good move. Your FO is short-sighted and dumb. All a team has to do is NOT commit to tanking to be in the playoff discussion in the East. That's all. If your team isn't better than the Knicks, it isn't worth talking about as a successful team.

What are you even saying with this post? I'm talking about Dwight Howard lol.

DY_nasty

What are you even saying with this post? I'm talking about Dwight Howard lol.

I'm talking about you won't be able to sign him because your FO will rush to max Wall before anything else.

Do you honestly think that won't happen?

effzee

The same thing will happen to Kobe. The NBA is all about marketing the next guy. When you are trying to get new kids into the game they don't want to hear about how good Duncan was, they just want to hear that LeBron is the greatest basketball player of all time.

Thats what happen when you market the stars and not the teams. This isn't a problem in the NFL because that league is all about the teams.

No way will Kobe be forgotten. Only reason he isn't talk about more right now is because of the run Lebron and the Heat were on plus his team is struggling to hold onto the 8th spot.

There is nothing the NBA would love more than a Kobe V Lebron finals matchup.

Too bad Wall is getting the Max.

They'd be better off with Rondo...

Like this is indicative of success or something. Even the fucking Lakers could be the 4th best team in the East.

Wall is most likely getting the max, they'll ride or die with him at this point. They won't go far without a better frontcourt though. Okafor expires next year and Nene barely plays.

DY_nasty

And his telling you dwight wouldn't go to a team with a dumb ass front office.

And lets be real. Dwight can't do shit without shooters. Webster and Beal as a team's only shooters isn't going to work for him.

Wall and Dwight are a clusterfuck right off the bat too.
Wall is most likely getting the max, they'll ride or die with him at this point. They'll won't go far without a better frontcourt though. Okafor expires next year and Nene barely plays.

They're stupid for it. Beal is what's causing Wall to look better.

I'm talking about you won't be able to sign him because your FO will rush to max Wall before anything else.

Do you honestly think that won't happen?

Again, are you even reading posts?

I said Ariza/Okafor/1st for Dwight. We're capable of doing that with our cap situation right now.

After that, yeah, Wall gets maxed, bird rights. We pay a light tax penalty. As a young player Walls max isn't even all that big anyway. Money isn't an issue.

Emwitus

I don't understand the argument that a Dwight led Lakers team has a better chance of being competitive than Beal/Wall/Dwight. Everyone on the Lakers is expiring and the only all-star they might be able to even get in free agency is Love, and I don't think he even leaves. Dwights going to be stuck on a treadmill in LA.

WTF. We are talking about the los angeles lakers. When pau, kobe,metta, blake expires next year......No team has a better chance at acquiring free agents. Actually the only players on the books after next year is nash and dwight if he sticks around.

DY_nasty

Again, are you even reading posts?

I said Ariza/Okafor/1st for Dwight. We're capable of doing that with our cap situation right now.

After that, yeah, Wall gets maxed, bird rights. We pay a light tax penalty. As a young player Walls max isn't even all that big anyway. Money isn't an issue.

LA on its worst day isn't taking that garbage.

And there isn't a coach alive that can make a Wall/Dwight PnR work without at least 6 other shooters on the floor at the same time.

And lets be real. Dwight can't do shit without shooters. Webster and Beal as a team's only shooters isn't going to work for him.

Beal went from 36% from the floor 31% long ball shooting to 47/45 percentages since Wall came back. stop hatin

You're trolling used to be so much better than this dy, I'm disappointed

Beals a good player and I love watching him...so smart on the court, takes nice shots, can help the team even when he's not shooting, but Wall helps him out more than the other way around. He's assisted on something like 90% of his longballs.

And Beal hasn't even played that many games with Wall due to injuries. How the fuck does Beal allow Wall to suddenly develop a half court game and stop playing 100 MPH? You're better than this bruh.

WTF. We are talking about the los angeles lakers. When pau, kobe,metta, blake expires next year......No team has a better chance at acquiring free agents. Actually the only players on the books after next year is nash and dwight if he sticks around.

I have faith in Mitch, but the simple fact is that guys aren't available. They just aren't.

Beal went from 36% from the floor 31% long ball shooting to 47/45 percentages since Wall came back. stop hatin
Beal is shooting those numbers with Wall? dayum. that's really nice

His shooting isn't what its about at all.

Beal knows the floor and how to move better than anyone who's played in a Wizards uniform in years. He's infinitely valuable to any point guard for the sheer fact that he's always available to relieve pressure. He's a mental safety net - or crutch, depending on who you're talking about.

There's no stat for what he does.
Damn. Beal sounds nice

DY_nasty

Beal knows the floor and how to move better than anyone who's played in a Wizards uniform in years. He's infinitely valuable to any point guard for the sheer fact that he's always available to relieve pressure. He's a mental safety net - or crutch, depending on who you're talking about.

Edit: And when did Wall get a half court game? da fuck

Emwitus

I have faith in Mitch, but the simple fact is that guys aren't available. They just aren't.

Unfortunately, i don't have faith in jim buss lol. But will see, i don't know how many free agents will be available in 2014 but it can't only be love. Should be interesting. Honestly, i can't wait for the kobe era to be over..just anxious for new things.

the Okafor Ariza deal looks even worse when you consider how many comparable free agents there are going to be this offseason, especially bigs.

And let's be honest Wall is a great player. I don't think champion when I see him play, but then again there are only a handful of those types out there in the NBA.

And when did Wall get a half court game? da fuck

Beal still has a ton of work to do. A lot of what you're saying is true...dude is so far beyond his years mentally. But in terms of the actual court, there are a lot of guys Wall would be better off passing to in bad situations with a low shotclock. Beal can simply do very little off the dribble right now. This mentle zen shit you're describing only goes so far.

As far as the half court game, Walls been running PNR pretty well and playing good half court ball for the entirety of March.

Definitely, the Okafor Ariza deal looks even worse when you consider how many comparable free agents there are going to be this offseason, especially bigs.

Like who though? We don't want to max Josh Smith.

Westlo

that he wont hesitate to throw teammates under the bus for his own half assed D and bad shot selection.

Half assed d?

First Team Defense right here

Y5A5v.gif

bionic77

No way will Kobe be forgotten. Only reason he isn't talk about more right now is because of the run Lebron and the Heat were on plus his team is struggling to hold onto the 8th spot.

There is nothing the NBA would love more than a Kobe V Lebron finals matchup.
Kobe in the current state is not competitive with LeBron. They were from different eras.

Would have been interesting to see 2005-09 Kobe with a good team versus current LeBron.

As it stands now we might not win a game against the Heat, even with our dream team.

Edit: And when did Wall get a half court game? da fuck

umm, the Wizards are like the second best corner shooting team in the league this year. Wall gets his teammates a ton of great looks and hes getting them the ball in awesome spots.

DY_nasty

Beal still has a ton of work to do. A lot of what you're saying is true...dude is so far beyond his years mentally. But in terms of the actual court, there are a lot of guys Wall would be better off passing to in bad situations with a low shotclock. Beal can simply do very little off the dribble right now. This mentle zen shit you're describing only goes so far.

As far as the half court game, Walls been running PNR pretty well and playing good half court ball for the entirety of March.

Like who though? We don't want to max Josh Smith.

You're not catching Beal's value. The guy knows when to create space and pull defenders when he doesn't even have the ball - and when he's not even getting the ball. Almost every single one of Seraphin's good games can be attributed to Beal knowing what spacing is and actively creating it.

This year, as usual, John Wall is most effective at scoring and general offensive efficiency in the first 10 seconds of the shotclock. After that point, he turns into drunken Jamal Tinsley. John Wall simply can not run the PnR because he can't shoot - from 3, or from mid-range. So unless his team is already rolling on all cylinders, he's not doing shit. Dude is shooting below 40% from mid-range man.
umm, the Wizards are like the second best corner shooting team in the league this year. Wall gets his teammates a ton of great looks and hes getting them the ball in awesome spots.

Corner 3s are a worthless shot imo. Its not a great spot to be in either. Him being stuck in the air and either giving the ball away (turnover), giving a teammate a bad shot, (turnover), throwing up garbage (turnover), or getting bailed out (nothing you can win with) is nothing to give a guy max money over.

ok, you win, Wall is terrible, not worth anything, etc, and Dwight has a better chance of winning games in LA in the future than with the rox.

Going to go argue about the merits of Big Boss being voiced by Sutherland over Hayter now.

DY_nasty

ok, you win, Wall is terrible, not worth anything, etc, and Dwight has a better chance of winning games in LA in the future than with the rox.

Going to go argue about the merits of Big Boss being voiced by Sutherland over Hayter now.

don't go all emo because you watch your team play 3 weeks at a time and i remind you that your best player is the nba's justin beiber

You're not catching Beal's value. The guy knows when to create space and pull defenders when he doesn't even have the ball - and when he's not even getting the ball. Almost every single one of Seraphin's good games can be attributed to Beal knowing what spacing is and actively creating it.

This year, as usual, John Wall is most effective at scoring and general offensive efficiency in the first 10 seconds of the shotclock. After that point, he turns into drunken Jamal Tinsley. John Wall simply can not run the PnR because he can't shoot - from 3, or from mid-range. So unless his team is already rolling on all cylinders, he's not doing shit. Dude is shooting below 40% from mid-range man.

Corner 3s are a worthless shot imo. Its not a great spot to be in either. Him being stuck in the air and either giving the ball away (turnover), giving a teammate a bad shot, (turnover), throwing up garbage (turnover), or getting bailed out (nothing you can win with) is nothing to give a guy max money over.
wat? its a long two that counts as a three. an open corner three is a great shot

DY_nasty

eh?

The Corner 3 is becoming the most efficient shot in basketball.

As a second or third pass sure - but if your offense isn't already moving then you're either giving the defense a free chance to trap or forcing your offense to reset. There's a huge difference between a Denver corner 3 and a Washington corner 3.

As a second or third pass sure - but if your offense isn't already moving then you're either giving the defense a free chance to trap or forcing your offense to reset. There's a huge difference between a Denver corner 3 and a Washington corner 3.

yea, difference is we're better at it than them

http://www.nba.com/advancedstats/te...ds|1610612743,1610612764;year=201213;season=r

Except that we shoot the corner three better than them in overall matchups against them, from that spot this year and in overall 3pt% in general.

cmon son

Top Bottom