• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 Jan NBA Season lOT| Beautiful Black Bodies on Top

image.php
image.php
image.php

Sigh....

Lol.

LeBron isn't going to win MVP because the Heat haven't been that good this year and his teammates have been great in the past.

I would argue that most of the guys on his team are giving no fucks so having Wade, Bosh, and Ray and being nowhere close to the Thunder in record or differential shouldn't be held that much against him, but it will.

Durant's having a pretty unbelievable season so him winning MVP isn't going to bug me.

Also, Heavy is cursing the shit out of my prediction of the Spurs winning the title, fuck, I might need to rethink this now.

I don't think the media can do the mental gymnastics of voting a guy MVP after not voting him MVP last year when his numbers were better.

It would be pretty insane.

The Spurs title chances are directly linked to: A. How well Duncan's knees are holding up at the end of the season 2. How hurt Manu is. He'll be hurt, but how hurt?

That 2011 Heat team had a +7.5 point differential compared to +5.5 for the current year though.

The Bulls need perfect health in the playoffs and to have Wade and Bosh not step up in the playoffs to beat Miami which isn't impossible, but I wouldn't bet on it...
Yea i'm not saying it's a lock but there's a chance and it isn't a tiny chance, maybe 30%. The stars have to align a bit with Rose's health but they could do it.

Look Heavy, I love Boozer as much as the next rational human being, but Bosh is the best PF in the league, and the Bulls still run a heavy ISO system. Once LeBron guards a recently returned Rose and clamps him down, the Bulls are done.
I can't tell if you're trolling with the bolded, probably are but i'll bite.

Love
Zbo
Duncan
Aldridge
I'd probably take Griffin and old man Dirk over him as well

Random, but this year's Thunder team is probably the greatest team ever at drawing fouls.

.29 FT/FGA for a team isn't that special in general, but fouls are down dramatically this year so it's insane compared to era. The second highest rate in the league is the Bobcats at less than .24 and the league average is .205. Absolutely crushing every other team in terms of getting to the line. I think that's kind of interesting.

The Spurs title chances are directly linked to: A. How well Duncan's knees are holding up at the end of the season 2. How hurt Manu is. He'll be hurt, but how hurt?

Pretty much. Clippers have the same issue with if CP3 will be solid by the semis and conference finals. I think OKC, SAS, MIA, and LAC are basically even this year otherwise (though I would lean to SAS)

Random, but this year's Thunder team is probably the greatest team ever at drawing fouls.

.29 FT/FGA for a team isn't that special in general, but fouls are down dramatically this year so it's insane compared to era. The second highest rate in the league is the Bobcats at less than .24 and the league average is .205. Absolutely crushing every other team in terms of getting to the line. I think that's kind of interesting.

I'd like to see the home and away split for that stat

bjb

Banned
Listening to Lakers fans' pre-season podcast and the orgasms they were having about this team lol.

Damn near every one wanted to throw a parade after Dwight came over. What a treat this season has been.

Cloudy

Banned
D'antoni isn't any worse than Scott Brooks or Vinny Del Negro yet they both coach elite teams. Mike has tried basically every roster combination possible and nothing has worked; the players just aren't good enough, period.

Fixed. He even seems to be coming to that realization after tonight:

"I do think they play as hard as they can play, and that's what's scary," coach Mike D'Antoni said of his Lakers, who are now 2-10 in January. "I mean I don't know how we can play harder or blame something else. We just didn't play well."

The front office is delusional if they think this team can make the playoffs w/o a significant trade

exarkun

D'antoni isn't any worse than Scott Brooks or Vinny Del Negro yet they both coach elite teams. Mike has tried basically every roster combination possible and nothing has worked; the players just aren't trying, period.

You think so? I think Vinny and Scott have tried to improve / change their coaching styles a bit. Brooks is still riding durant/westbrook hard to the money tree and Vinny has Chris Paul and Billups to help him not fuck up, but they both have done some things differently from last year. Brooks has changed the rotations a tiny bit (which is huge for him), and Vinny thinks about matchups a bit more (as shown by his willingness to let Barnes have smaller guys and Bledsoe to take the two guard on occasion).

I think D'antoni has largely stayed the same. With the right personnel, he could kill it. Those suns teams are evidence of that (and Linsanity to an extent). But he doesn't show a willingness to grow in terms of coaching. Then again, Vinny and Scott are alot younger.

lupinko

Listening to Lakers fans' pre-season podcast and the orgasms they were having about this team lol.

Damn near every one wanted to throw a parade after Dwight came over. What a treat this season has been.

=(

Oh well at least there's hockey now and the niners are in the Superbowl.

You think so? I think Vinny and Scott have tried to improve / change their coaching styles a bit. Brooks is still riding durant/westbrook hard to the money tree and Vinny has Chris Paul and Billups to help him not fuck up, but they both have done some things differently from last year. Brooks has changed the rotations a tiny bit (which is huge for him), and Vinny thinks about matchups a bit more (as shown by his willingness to let Barnes have smaller guys and Bledsoe to take the two guard on occasion).

I think D'antoni has largely stayed the same. With the right personnel, he could kill it. Those suns teams are evidence of that (and Linsanity to an extent). But he doesn't show a willingness to grow in terms of coaching. Then again, Vinny and Scott are alot younger.

I don't buy the fact that the wrong "system" will make Dwight, Kobe and Steve Nash worthless. Dwight played historically good defense in Orlando yet he's trash in LA, that doesn't just happen because of something the coach implements. Also D'antoni has tried so many lineups this year and nothing as worked, the players aren't trying because they're selfish fuckheads who aren't anywhere near as good as they think they are. Only Nash, Earl and MWP seem to be putting effort night in and night out; problem is is that Nash is 40 and Earl and MWP suck. You had that insipid fuckstain Antawn Jamison have the gall to complain about playing time when D'antoni rightfully benched his pathetic ass because he's a net negative who deserves to be sucking dicks for crack behind his local Olive Garden. You have Pau scoring at Rudy Gay efficiency whining about not starting when Earl, though less talented, at least tries and doesn't care if he doesn't get to shoot for 6 minutes. Dwight is a stupid cunt who complains that D'antoni needs to play inside-out more when he doesn't realize that pick-and-rolls result in him drawing defenders inside. And then you have Kobe being a selfish jackass who literally thinks taking 28 shots a game on a stacked team with multiple all-stars while allowing opposing players to have career nights is conducive to winning basketball.

I don't think D'antoni is an amazing coach but you're not in charge of some of the best offensive teams in NBA history by accident. Durant regularly gets frozen out and loses games due to YNB being allowed to do what he does, yet he's behind Scott Brooks 100% of the way. If the guys on the Lakers roster had that kind of attitude they'd at the very least be a playoff team.

lupinko

lakers remind me of the knicks a year ago

fire pringles

I wish Jim Buss could be fired but that ain't happening.

Jim Buss said:
"We thought Steve Nash was our future point guard for the next three years and we needed a coach we felt would fit with him," Buss said. "That was one of the main issues where we thought that D'Antoni was better than Phil. Well, not better, nobody's better than Phil, but we felt that he fit the team the way we wanted to work it.

exarkun

I don't buy the fact that the wrong "system" will make Dwight, Kobe and Steve Nash worthless. Dwight played historically good defense in Orlando yet he's trash in LA, that doesn't just happen because of something the coach implements. Also D'antoni has tried so many lineups this year and nothing as worked, the players aren't trying because they're selfish fuckheads who aren't anywhere near as good as they think they are. Only Nash, Earl and MWP seem to be putting effort night in and night out; problem is is that Nash is 40 and Earl and MWP suck. You had that insipid fuckstain Antawn Jamison have the gall to complain about playing time when D'antoni rightfully benched his pathetic ass because he's a net negative who deserves to be sucking dicks for crack behind his local Olive Garden. You have Pau scoring at Rudy Gay efficiency whining about not starting when Earl, though less talented, at least tries and doesn't care if he doesn't get to shoot for 6 minutes. Dwight is a stupid cunt who complains that D'antoni needs to play inside-out more when he doesn't realize that pick-and-rolls result in him drawing defenders inside. And then you have Kobe being a selfish jackass who literally thinks taking 28 shots a game on a stacked team with multiple all-stars while allowing opposing players to have career nights is conducive to winning basketball.

I don't think D'antoni is an amazing coach but you're not in charge of some of the best offensive teams in NBA history by accident. Durant regularly gets frozen out and loses games due to YNB being allowed to do what he does, yet he's behind Scott Brooks 100% of the way. If the guys on the Lakers roster had that kind of attitude they'd at the very least be a playoff team.

I mean...

*slowclap*. I couldn't say it better. That shade thrown at Jamison and Dwight is some HARSH love.

I agree with you about Durant and YNB. Though I'd argue that YNB is getting better and the trust from Scottie has allowed him to grow into the (for good or for bad) player he is now. But Durant, the way he is playing now, should have the ball on near every possession at the end of the games and he doesn't. So I agree.

The effort isn't there because Phil is the only one that could control that steaming pile of entitlement in LA. The hunger hasn't been there for years, and its because they been eatin so well 2010 and and before.

Great post. You have to wonder how much of the "fuck it I'm getting mine" comes from the fact that Kobe and Mitch have actively tried to trade every key player from their championship run. Everyone knows the organization is only loyal to Kobe, so you have a bunch of guys just looking forward to their next deal, and Nash, who finally is starting to look his age (not helped that the Lakers have the worst collection of shooters at 2-5 that he's ever played with). And then you have Kobe himself taking more shots than ever with a loaded team, and throwing everyone under the bus at every opportunity.

damn

h3ro

hot fiya.

also:
1. Vlade
2. Derek Fisher
3. Eddie Jones

linsivvi

And then you have Kobe himself taking more shots than ever with a loaded team

That's factually wrong. Check his stats.

Should he be taking less shots though? Definitely. Especially when he's having an off night. On the other hand the team's offensive rating is also +10 with him on the court so somebody needs to pick up the slack.

The fact that MWP has more field goal attempts than Nash and Dwight and as many as Pau should tell you something about how shitty the coaching is. And no, Antoni is not just as bad as Vinny Del Negro. He's much, much worse. I don't think there's a single coach in the NBA other than Pringles that would allow MWP to shoot more than Nash AND Dwight.

Meh.

Favorite Lakers of all time:

1. Vern Mikkelsen
2. Larry Foust
3. Dick Garmaker

They led the team to a 19-53 record.

Congrats for digging up basketball reference and finding these players from the 50s when the Lakers were playing in Minnesota.

Now, this is what I call trying too hard.

balddemon

Banned
I looked up Nash's, Dwight's, and MWP's FGA/game, hoping that MWP would have more than both combined...alas, he's only sort of close to doing so.

numbers from bkref.com

MWP: 197-468 .421 4.7-11.1

Dwight: 231-401 .576 5.9-10.3

Nash: 76-149 .510 4.2-8.3

Dwight+Nash: 307-550 .558 10.1-18.6

Top Bottom