• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 Major League Soccer |OT| Pick your side, it's time for War

Status
Not open for further replies.

Askani

Cool. Glad to see it happened for all you Orlando fans. Welcome to the club!

Preloading a "Fuck you Orlando!" now for when the expansion draft happens.

Nesotenso

Cool. Glad to see it happened for all you Orlando fans. Welcome to the club!

Preloading a "Fuck you Orlando!" now for when the expansion draft happens.

SKC has to find a new USL-PRO affiliate. All the more reason to field a B side in USL-PRO and give younger players game time.

Osorio

Finally an MLS team down south

I don't think neither the Fusion nor the Mutiny deserved to be defunct but that was a different era for the league's finances.

I expect this to be a much more fecund entry into the league. I also believe this gives Atlanta a greater chance to enter the league as Orlando's closest rival at the moment is DC.

Nesotenso

Honestly the only way to grow and develop Canadian Soccer is to form a vibrant second division in the country or join more teams into the NASL. The only way Canada develops better players is to have around 10 or 12 local franchises at all levels and establish academies for them.

MLS right now is trying to increase their TV revenue so American markets are a priority.

Askani

So does this send SKC or Houston to the Western Conference?

It should be Houston. Houston and Dallas are too close to not be divisional rivals already and it's a shame they aren't. Beyond that SKC will be moved to the West eventually. With adding 3 teams that far East, you almost can't keep us in that division anymore.

SKC has to find a new USL-PRO affiliate. All the more reason to field a B side in USL-PRO and give younger players game time.

The more I think about it, the more I think it should happen. Also, I think they should seriously consider St Louis. Good soccer history, centrally located, large metropolitan area, good fan turnout for the European teams that just played there, close to KC, we'd be the closest professional soccer team, ease of scrimmages and practice for both teams...etc. I think it would be a good fit. No place in Kansas works, Or Nebraska. Or Arkansas. Des Moines already has a team. By then you're traveling too far to shuffle players around regularly or to keep them feeling connected.

It should be Houston. Houston and Dallas are too close to not be divisional rivals already and it's a shame they aren't. Beyond that SKC will be moved to the West eventually. With adding 3 teams that far East, you almost can't keep us in that division anymore.

Oh, I completely forgot about NYC FC.

xbhaskarx

I think it's pretty likely that the Beckham - Miami thing is happening. So with NYC, Orlando, and most likely Miami taking the league to 22 teams, any guesses as to which two other cities will join by 2020?

I think it will be two of these six:
Atlanta
Minnesota
Indianapolis
St Louis
San Antonio
Sacramento

Some other possibilities:
Nashville
Detroit
Oklahoma City
Phoenix
Las Vegas
San Francisco
San Diego

So uh, how about getting some teams in Canada?

There are already three teams up there, what more would you want, Ottawa? Calgary or Edminton?

hom3land

2 of those cities have NASL teams already. Edmonton and then Calgary enters the league next year I think.

And it's always sad seeing Raleigh not on potential lists. If only we had a rich owner, but we are still stuck with traffic sports.

2 of those cities have NASL teams already. Edmonton and then Calgary enters the league next year I think.

And it's always sad seeing Raleigh not on potential lists. If only we had a rich owner, but we are still stuck with traffic sports.
Nah brah that's Ottawa. Calgary is in inquiry stage. Virginia is coming, Jacksonville is coming, OKC is coming, Indiana, Tulsa is preliminary but Roughnecks name is owned by a villain.

hom3land

Nah brah that's Ottawa. Calgary is in inquiry stage. Virginia is coming, Jacksonville is coming, OKC is coming, Indiana, Tulsa is preliminary but Roughnecks name is owned by a villain.

Ah thanks for catching that.. It's still early. Looking forward to next year's new teams entering. Gets kind of boring seeing the 7 same teams come play.

In other Nasl news the soccer Bowl might be on espn3 and espn3 deportes

Osorio

Miami. Beckham's franchise.

I guess in fairness I keep talking like Miami is a done deal. it's not, but it's there for the taking if someone decides to pull the trigger.

Guess it depends on the stadium deal. He wants South Beach, the taxpayer just paid up for that Marlins ballpark nobody goes to.

Plus I'd imagine the stadium plan to be domed? My family is from Miami and I sure as shit don't want to go to a game there even at night.

Hieberrr

Honestly the only way to grow and develop Canadian Soccer is to form a vibrant second division in the country or join more teams into the NASL. The only way Canada develops better players is to have around 10 or 12 local franchises at all levels and establish academies for them.

MLS right now is trying to increase their TV revenue so American markets are a priority.

The thing is no one cares about NASL there because it's the "lower division". I'd love to have 1 or 2 more teams.

I
There are already three teams up there, what more would you want, Ottawa? Calgary or Edminton?
Over some of the "proposed" cities? Yeah, why not.

xbhaskarx

Over some of the "proposed" cities? Yeah, why not.

Have you compared their populations? Every Canadian metropolitan area with more than 2 million people has an MLS team...

For comparison:
San Francisco 8.4 (includes San Jose)
Miami 6.4 million
Atlanta 6 million
Detroit 5.3 million
Phoenix 4.3
Minneapolis 3.7
San Diego 3.2
Orlando 2.9
St Louis 2.9
Tampa 2.8
Baltimore 2.7
Pittsburgh 2.6
Sacramento 2.5
Charlotte 2.4
Indianapolis 2.3
Las Vegas 2.2
San Antonio 2.2
Nashville 1.8

The next largest Canadian metropolitan area, Ottawa at 1.2 million, would be the 48th largest in the US, comparable to Richmond, Virginia.
Like Richmond, cities like Ottawa, Clagary, and Edminton belong in NASL or USL.

Askani

Well that was horrible. Refs ruined that game with bad run of play calls and stole our goal. We advanced, but we really needed those points for seeding.

Nice to see the MLS clubs did just enough to advance in the CONCACAF games tonight. Would be cool to see a dominant performance every now and again against these small teams but it never seems to happen.

Nesotenso

Well that was horrible. Refs ruined that game with bad run of play calls and stole our goal. We advanced, but we really needed those points for seeding.

just hope Vermes takes the quarterfinals seriously. We need new and better forwards. Thought Jacob Peterson wasn't completely awful for once but Sapong and Bunbury bring nothing. I think Bunbury should resurrect his career elsewhere.For now it seems that he should have chosen to represent Canada internationally.

Osorio

I feel for you guys if yesterday's game against Olimpia is the regular for SKC.

They're frustrating as fuck to watch in the final third.

Reminds me of the Red Bulls last year. All possession, nothing dangerous coming in the box.

Osorio

St. Louis should already be in the league. Unfortunately, their owner was broke.

The team has a great history with soccer, and instant rivalries.

Askani

just hope Vermes takes the quarterfinals seriously. We need new and better forwards. Thought Jacob Peterson wasn't completely awful for once but Sapong and Bunbury bring nothing. I think Bunbury should resurrect his career elsewhere.For now it seems that he should have chosen to represent Canada internationally.

If this game was any indication it looks like he will be moving that direction. Our primary back four plus Zusi, Rossell, etc. Nielsen should get regular starts in the knockout round. Olum isn't the answer in midfield for sure and we have to have Feilhaber or Nagamura back for these games. Obviously we should have them though since there's 4 months until the next stage starts. Maybe we can finally find someone who wants to be a finisher too.

I feel for you guys if yesterday's game against Olimpia is the regular for SKC.

They're frustrating as fuck to watch in the final third.

Reminds me of the Red Bulls last year. All possession, nothing dangerous coming in the box.

It's slightly better when we have someone in mid who can pass the ball forward and make connections without always going wide. However it's not enough. We don't have any finishing. Kamara was good at going up and commanding headers, taking shots at the top of the 18, had lots of speed, hard working, and crashed the box well. We have pieces of that in other players but no one who really has any combination of those skills. Saad is decently quick and takes a good long range shot and has good feet. Sapong has good speed can be good on headers but his footwork in the box isn't great and he goes down or gets dispossessed alot. Bieler has a good shot from range but isn't good in the air. Bunbury is basically average or slightly below. Peterson is barely one step ahead of Bunbury. I could go on.

But yeah...now you know our pain. MLS matchcenter says we had almost 70% possession and 539 passes. That translated to 11 shots, 5 sog, and 0 actual goals.

That being said, I'm still upset about the wave off of Zusi's goal. Another time when Olympia was attacking, their guy was offside by at least a yard and a half. I'm confident I know this because the defensive line was in line with my seat when the ball was passed forward. The AR on our side, who had a real bad game, held his flag up and the head ref waved him off. It was unbelievable. Refs had a bad game all around.

CONCACAF'd

Nesotenso

It's slightly better when we have someone in mid who can pass the ball forward and make connections without always going wide. However it's not enough. We don't have any finishing. Kamara was good at going up and commanding headers, taking shots at the top of the 18, had lots of speed, hard working, and crashed the box well. We have pieces of that in other players but no one who really has any combination of those skills. Saad is decently quick and takes a good long range shot and has good feet. Sapong has good speed can be good on headers but his footwork in the box isn't great and he goes down or gets dispossessed alot. Bieler has a good shot from range but isn't good in the air. Bunbury is basically average or slightly below. Peterson is barely one step ahead of Bunbury. I could go on.

Spot on and well put. I would also add that for someone like Sapong playing on the wings is not an option. Sapong is well built physically but he rarely can make it past a defender or cross a ball in. Vermes is trying to replace Kamara with Sapong in his 4-3-3 and that is not working. I don't know the stats but our scoring seems down after Kamara left. Hopefully someone catches fire during the playoffs otherwise it will be difficult winning the cup.

Osorio

I guess the important stat is not possession but possession in the final third. What frustrated me was all that possession but I don't remember the keeper being challenged whatsoever.

Plus you guys were always outnumbered on the middle, forcing the play out wide but without a good number of bodies in the box.

hom3land

This wait is excruciating. Definitely rooting for Philly to at least draw but I can't fucking concentrate on anything!

A draw won't do them any good. They need all 3 points .. and matches later this weekend to go their way for a chance to make the playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom