• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 Mar NBA Season lOT| Change This Face, Be Happy, Enjoy it!

Dwight also had a better rookie year. Not to mention that Davis just turned 20. Or that Magic was only 7 months older when he got to the NBA.
Lebron's PER his rookie year was 18.3. Dwight's was 17.2. Davis's is currently 20.95 and is going to rise after his game tonight.

Darkman M

Davis had no where near the impact Bron had his rookie season, not even in the same stratosphere. Davis isn't even the best rookie this year.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Come again?

Marcs a solid rebounder at worst.

Averages 8 rpg over his career

7.9rpg this year

When z-bo was out he averaged 8.9

mediocre?

He plays along side one of the best rebounders in the game in Z-bo who is going to consume a lot of them. And Marc also defends the lane extremely well in PnR's and is usually on the big that will be involved in them, so he's regularly out of position whilst defending the lane.

And he still averages 8rpg.

And he's mediocre?
He's a legit 7-footer with one of the biggest frames we've seen in a while. He should be a double-double machine. I don't care that he plays next to Zach -- that's like me saying Aldridge plays next to JJ (an undersized power-forward that gobbles up rebounds)...

Both are mediocre rebounders and should be better than they are.

Lebron's PER his rookie year was 18.3. Dwight's was 17.2. Davis's is currently 20.95 and is going to rise after his game tonight.

PER.

I'm talking overall impact on a team.

LeBron, love or hate him, hit the league and far surpassed expectations.

Are you guys talking about shooting % as the sole qualifier here?

I mean, you could argue Lebron or Davis. Davis is also being put into weird lineups.

Lebron had a good rookie year (some argued Melo deserved the RotY award fwiw) but it wasn't the best ever or anything close. But he was only 18.

Lebron took a big leap in year 2.

It's a weird thing to even look at, though. There's been so few players at 18 or 19 to start an entire season, let alone be good enough to matter. Okay, let's say Anthony Davis is the best 19 year old big man ever in the NBA. Will he be better than Shaq in the NBA at 20? I have serious doubts. In which case, who cares?

Looking at 19 year olds in the NBA for comparison makes no sense.

He's been really up and down. Struggles to stay on the court. His highs are definitely awesome for his age, there's a ton of potential there. But I think it's Lebron by a mile. Plus, I'm pretty sure KG in his rookie/second season was no slouch either. Then there's Wilt who came straight out of high school too right? Not sure he was 19 but probably was.

KG was 20 by his second year, Wilt had to play with the Globetrotters for a few years before he was eligible to join the NBA. Not sure Dwight was better.

There are definitely arguments to be made against him, but it was weird to see that he had the best PER ever for a teenager in their rookie season other than Drummond and Kyrie (and he had a much better college career than both of those guys and Drummond plays against bench guys) and yet he's not being talked about much.

Looking at 19 year olds in the NBA for comparison makes no sense.

I just thought it was interesting considering the limited media attention.

reilo

Davis isn't even 19 anymore! He turned 20 yesterday lol. Odd discussion is odd. The sample size for < 20 year old draft picks is so tiny.

EDIT: Kyrie his rookie year was dope: 18.5, 47FG%, 5.4APG, 40 3PT%, 1.1SPG, 21.4PER

Dwight also had a better rookie year. Not to mention that Davis just turned 20 yesterday. Or that Magic was only 7 months older when he got to the NBA. It's a dumb qualifier.

Yeah, no doubt, mama.

Magic was fucking filthy hitting the league @ 20.

Playing center, dropping 42/15/7/3/1 in a Finals game 6 (with KAJ on the shelf) all while hating his head coach.

Averaging 16/8/9 in his rookie fucking playoff year.

Imagine if there was an ESPN 24 hour cycle (and social media) in those days like today. Magic would have been the old LeBron!

I mean, you could argue Lebron or Davis. Davis is also being put into weird lineups.

Lebron had a good rookie year (some argued Melo deserved the RotY award fwiw) but it wasn't the best ever or anything close. But he was only 18.

Lebron took a big leap in year 2..

IWMTB19 merely said best under 20 player.

Not rookie.

Davis isn't even 19 anymore! He turned 20 yesterday lol. Odd discussion is odd. The sample size for < 20 year old draft picks is so tiny.

EDIT: Kyrie his rookie year was dope: 18.5, 47FG%, 5.4APG, 40 3PT%, 1.1SPG, 21.4PER

I know he turned 20 yesterday, that's why I was bringing it up now since his years under 20 were over.

EDIT: Kyrie last year was dope: 18.5, 47FG%, 5.4APG, 40 3PT%, 1.1SPG, 21.4PER

Shaq at age 20: 24-14-2 with 3.5 blocks. 56% shooting.

When Davis does that next season, then we can talk about him being an elite big.

edit: Of course there's Magic at 20 leading his team to a title...

Vahagn

KG was 20 by his second year, Wilt had to play with the Globetrotters for a few years before he was eligible to join the NBA. Not sure Dwight was better.

There are definitely arguments to be made against him, but it was weird to see that he had the best PER ever for a teenager in their rookie season other than Drummond and Kyrie (and he had a much better college career than both of those guys and Drummond plays against bench guys) and yet he's not being talked about much.

I just thought it was interesting considering the limited media attention.

Forgot about the globe trotters. And apparently Wilt did spend some time in college. But Kobe's entire second season he was 19. Played limited minutes due to being on a stacked team but the skill level was there and apparent. Air Apparent and all that. Then there's LBJ, Kyrie, Dwight, KG who you could argue did more for their team.

I dunno, good query I guess. He's not even a lock for rookie of the year. Kinda strange to be the best 19 year old ever in that case.

reilo

Here we go.

All 20 and younger players that played a minimum of 50 games and had a PER of over 18:

http://bit.ly/10L5phj

I think 20 and younger seems a fairer comparison simply because of the small sample size for 19 and under. Davis has played 45 games thus far fyi.

Here we go.

All 20 and younger players that played a minimum of 50 games and had a PER of over 18:

http://bit.ly/10L5phj

I think 20 and younger seems a fairer comparison simply because of the small sample size for 19 and under.

There have definitely been 20 year olds better than Davis has been, I was just wondering for under-20 stuff as a random piece of information. Comparing players when they were under 20 may not mean much of anything, but it was just interesting to think about.

reilo

There have definitely been 20 year olds better than Davis has been, I was just wondering for under-20 stuff as a random piece of information. Comparing players when they were under 20 may not mean much of anything, but it was just interesting to think about.

Sure. Raptors fans at one point thought it was interesting to think about how good Andrea Bargnani would be based off of a 13 game stretch, too.

Ultimately, it's just a weird qualifier in my opinion.

Sure. Raptors fans at one point thought it was interesting to think about how good Andrea Bargnani would be based off of a 13 game stretch, too.

Ultimately, it's just a weird qualifier in my opinion.

I'm not sure that's comparable. It's just funny to see Anthony Davis have so many areas where he needs to improve and yet his production has been some of the best ever for a guy under 20. To me it demonstrates how hard it is to be a successful Freshman and one-and-done or straight-to-the-NBA rookie and how much players have to grow.

I do think he's going to be really really awesome in a couple of years and none of what he did or didn't do under-20 will matter much if it he is or isn't by that point, but it just seems interesting.

reilo

I'm not sure that's comparable. It's just funny to see Anthony Davis have so many areas where he needs to improve and yet his production has been some of the best ever for a guy under 20. To me it demonstrates how hard it is to be a successful Freshman and one-and-done or straight-to-the-NBA rookie and how much players have to grow.

I do think he's going to be really really awesome in a couple of years and none of what he did or didn't do under-20 will matter much if it he is or isn't by that point, but it just seems interesting.

Take some melatonin and go to bed already.

He's a good big man in a league with few good big men.

Also Drummond is younger with a higher PER, fwiw.

giri

He's a legit 7-footer with one of the biggest frames we've seen in a while. He should be a double-double machine. I don't care that he plays next to Zach -- that's like me saying Aldridge plays next to JJ (an undersized power-forward that gobbles up rebounds)...

Both are mediocre rebounders and should be better than they are.

PER.

Your statement about comparing marc and LMA would be more valid if LMA played defense half as well as marc. As it stands, it's just silly.

“The two games that we played Miami so far, we matched up well against them,” guard Brandon Jennings told The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. “If you ask me, that’s who I would want to play first round, Miami.

“Right now we haven’t really played well against the Knicks. I just feel better if we play Miami first round, just the fact we have good games against them.”

young buck has much to learn

pilonv1

what about mkg? isn't he only 19? he's pretty dang good. makes big plays at least. tries hard on defense.

I like MKG but if I was the Bobcats and the Spurs offered me Kahwi Leonard for him straight up I'd take it. I worry that MKG has an Ariza level ceiling sometimes because of his shot.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
I like MKG but if I was the Bobcats and the Spurs offered me Kahwi Leonard for him straight up I'd take it. I worry that MKG has an Ariza level ceiling sometimes because of his shot.

Leonard came in the NBA with a meh jumper..

I think MKG had a G Wallace ceiling

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
MKG's shot has already improved since he got here. Before it used to el garbage - at least now he's not terrified to shoot in public.

And he's already more skilled than year 5 Wallace. I ain't worried. People forget that he's the youngest player in the league.
Let's not forget that Derrick Rose would be a bust and that Jerryd Bayless was an all-star.

Austin Rivers would be the shit too.

giri

I worry that MKG has a wallace ceiling, but only through bad coaching. He could be tayshaun prince good at worst though.

DY_nasty

I don't think people watch enough Bobcat games for this. Especially when we basically intentionally keep him out of 4th quarters.

The only thing MKG has in common with Wallace is his frame (for now), his suicidal tendencies, and his natural feel for diving in the low post. He's got a handle that Wallace has never had, body control that I've never seen for a guy with his frame, and an actual offensive skillset that doesn't mean he'll be completely reliant on people feeding him through passes or through rebounds.

He's got more in common with Josh Smith than anyone else.
Does he have the handles to be Prince?

He definitely has a better handle than Prince.

He just respects his own shot less than defenders do. He didn't even like being outside of 15ft and thinking he had to score. Shame would hit him harder than a defense could. Most trust him with the ball more than Sessions when he's not sulking over how ugly his shot looks.

As terrible as MKG's jumper has been he still has the 4th highest PER in his class behind Drummond, Davis, and Lillard. He's also 3 years younger than Lillard and is already a better defender. And considering Drummond's back troubles the only other player I'd take over him is Davis. His jumper has noticeably improved already this season as well, so I'm pretty damn confident he will only get better as time goes along.

DY_nasty

As terrible as MKG's jumper has been he still has the 4th highest PER in his class behind Drummond, Davis, and Lillard. He's also 3 years younger than Lillard and is already a better defender. And considering Drummond's back troubles the only other player I'd take over him is Davis. His jumper has noticeably improved already this season as well, so I'm pretty damn confident he will only get better as time goes along.

His jumper has improved drastically over the course of the season.

I'm really happy that we're keeping his minutes low instead of letting him kill himself like he wants. It'd be way too easy to throw him out there for 30 minutes a night.

How do you feel about Henderson though? You ready to send him off yet? :(

Yea, MKG's handle and body control should stop him from becoming crash. He's getting knocked around a bit but that's going to happen...you've gotta test the waters a little bit when the size and speed of guys at this level is so much different than what he faced before.

His FG percentage is really encouraging considering how limited his offensive tools are at this point.

Yea, MKG's handle and body control should stop him from becoming crash. He's getting knocked around a bit but that's going to happen...you've gotta test the waters a little bit when the size and speed of guys at this level is so much different than what he faced before.

His FG percentage is really encouraging considering how limited his offensive tools are at this point.

The only thing that worries me about him getting knocked around is that he got injured (generally with just mild stuff but still) in collisions in almost every single game Kentucky played last year as well. He's gotten into way too many collisions already and he seems to have a really unfortunate knack for getting involved in plays that could hurt him.

The best thing MKG has going for him is that he's not a bitch like some other recent 2nd overall pick with a shitty jumper.

So he won't spend games at a time comtemplating killing himself or bitching to refs.

The only he gets emo over is losing...which is fine.

His jumper has improved drastically over the course of the season.

I'm really happy that we're keeping his minutes low instead of letting him kill himself like he wants. It'd be way too easy to throw him out there for 30 minutes a night.

How do you feel about Henderson though? You ready to send him off yet? :(

I'm glad we're limiting his minutes too. We're not trying to win so what's the point? He played heavier minutes early in the season and we were (uncoincidentally I think) winning games. We put a stop to that thankfully. He's playing every night and working on improving without having the wear and tear of playing 40 mins a night.

As for Hendo, We tried to get good trade value out of him and we didn't get it so I say we resign him for what he's worth if he's willing to stay, regardless if we draft a 2 guard or not.

DY_nasty

^This is gonna sound bad coming from me, but I wish we'd kept Diaw around to help out MKG.
The only thing that worries me about him getting knocked around is that he got injured (generally with just mild stuff but still) in collisions in almost every single game Kentucky played last year as well. He's gotten into way too many collisions already and he seems to have a really unfortunate knack for getting involved in plays that could hurt him.

Completely agree. I swear every 3rd time down the court he's slow to get up. He's got no issue playing through injuries - but I'm glad that our franchise has finally shown the fucks necessary to limit a guys playing time for him and realizes when it needs to take things slow for rookies. Hopefully if he gets through a season or two and develops man-muscles he'll transition to being on the winning side of those collisions more often than not since its obvious he doesn't care about how often they occur.

He's got Dominique/Kemp body control with half the hops. I haven't seen a wing with body control around the rim like that in years - let alone someone his age.

MKG has surprised me with his court awareness on offense more than anything else though. I thought he'd be retarded on offense but he's got a great feel for it and knows how to play within himself (most of the time... he's kinda built a faux-hero mode complex over the course of the season but I can't really knock him for it considering his team blows).

DY_nasty

Actual Crash not having a concussion in the last like 3 years is pretty cool though.

Dude walks through them... I swear I remember him playing Orlando, catching a elbow or shoulder, blacking the fuck out, and never even breaking stride back down the court. It was surreal.

He suffered at least 8 documented concussions during his time with Charlotte. He wasn't even allowed to play more than 10 minutes at PF anymore before we traded him.

I miss Crash man, it's not saying much but he was the best to ever wear a Bobcats jersey. Whoever we take or trade for with that Portland pick we traded for him better be a damn good player.

Top Bottom