• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 Mar NBA Season lOT| Change This Face, Be Happy, Enjoy it!

masud

Banned
Indy lost
Nets lost
Celtics lost
Knicks won

500x1000px-LL-bfca9949_juh8ub.gif

Feelin' fine!

Back in that 2 seed!

(Not that I care or anything)

lulz, Porter dropped to 8th on DX's mock.

Can't say I disagree, his jumpshot is broken and he looks like the type of guy who is massively helped out by the shorter college 3 ball.

scouts must be mindthrowed after this tourney so far though.

I guess Burkes the only guy who's stock has really risen thus far...not sure why mock drafts hate Olynyk.

Can't say I disagree, his jumpshot is broken and he looks like the type of guy who is massively helped out by the shorter college 3 ball.

I guess Burkes the only guy who's stock has really risen thus far...not sure why mock drafts hate Olynyk.

probably because he had to redshirt against Robert Sacre

charsace

Olynyk is a top 5 player in this draft.

Did you guys read Manu's AmA on reddit?

This one was actually pretty moving:

Jumpingman8D
Hey Manu,
On December 4th 2012 you visited The Children’s Hospital of San Antonio and I was one of the patients that you Diaw and Mills came and visited as pictured here:http://imgur.com/co7qkFN I also got another special visitor that same day and I think you would recognize him : http://imgur.com/iQGPnE5 . That day was the best day of my entire 8 months in the hospital and it would be pretty tough to top such an awesome gift. By far you are my favorite player, you put so much of yourself into the game and you have that spark that everybody looks forward to when you come onto the court. We can all tell that you do this because you love the game and you love the fans. There have been times where I would get so upset whenever you would get injured because a game without Manu is not the same. Ever since I was a little kid I would always watch the spurs and cheer for you. I watched through the 2005 Championships when the Spurs beat the Pistons (back when you had long hair) and the 2007 Championships when the Spurs beat the Cavaliers. I just wanted to say Thank You to you and the Spurs for being an awesome team and supporting their city. A lot of the donations that Manu has given to the Santa Rosa Hospital have helped many kids including me. I know that this is getting repetitive but thank you once again.
I also went to the game last night VS the Jazz it was a great game and I knew that you all could win. Sincerely, Andy P.S. Diaw said he wanted my gamer tag on Xbox so we could play Black ops 2 and I gave it to him but he never added me so I’ll just leave it here again just for fun: Jumpingman8D also tell Parker I said hi as well.

You are the best! Thank you for your message! I'll remind Boris about your handle, he probably lost it that day. Wish you and your family the best. Keep in touch!

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/knicks/post/_/id/39208/frazier-heat-arent-so-great
"I think they're the best team in the NBA, but I wouldn't call them a great team. I wouldn't rank them anywhere near the top 10 best teams ever," Frazier said Friday on ESPN New York 98.7 FM's "The Michael Kay Show."

"It's more an indication of how weak the NBA is right now than their superiority," Frazier said.

Frazier doesn't think the Heat will break L.A.'s record.

"I never thought that that record would ever be matched, and Miami is close, but I don't think they're going to do it. You know why? They're struggling," Frazier said.

"When we [the Knicks] were the first team in 1969-70 to win 18 consecutive games, the starting five was on the bench in the fourth quarter. I mean, we were blowing teams out. Miami is not blowing teams out; they're making miraculous comebacks.

"So I think sooner or later it's gonna catch up with them. The other problem is they're playing mediocre teams. They're playing teams that have nothing to lose and they're looking to make their season by breaking that streak, so I think that's going to eventually cause their demise."

lol OK clyde

I love Clyde and if that's his opinion that's cool but some of the stuff he brings up kinda don't make sense. We're struggling? C'mon, it's the middle of the season. Without a doubt we should have lost many of those games but a lot of that is due to giving zero fucks. And I don't think we would beat the Jordan Bulls but it doesn't make sense to dismiss a team's historical place just because their management put more talent on the team than everyone else.

another NBA TV game? the fuck. I'm not sure who I hate more at this point, the league for putting a bunch of non-tuesday games on NBA TV, not letting you watch it on LPBB because it's on NBA TV, or verizon fios for not carrying that and nfl network even though I have LP and standard cable

another NBA TV game? the fuck. I'm not sure who I hate more at this point, the league for putting a bunch of non-tuesday games on NBA TV, not letting you watch it on LPBB because it's on NBA TV, or verizon fios for not carrying that and nfl network even though I have LP and standard cable

FiOS carries NBA TV. I know because I have Verizon.

FiOS carries NBA TV. I know because I have Verizon.

I know it does. But I get the Prime Package (which isn't even the worst one!) and they don't carry that, but the next best package (Extreme) gets that and NFL Network. I just didn't feel like dishing out a lot of extra money for those two channels.

So I don't get NFL Network or NBA TV but they give me NBC Sports Network; really fucking useful, right?

You might get it in your area if you have Prime but my area doesn't let us have it for some reason. It's really annoying.

He's right though. The NBA is as bad as it's been in a long time. There's no dominant big man in the current era.

The Heat would most likely get whacked by the title teams that had a dominant center and were loaded elsewhere on the roster. But it's just another pointless era comparison in my opinion and I don't like knocking any team down just because their contemporaries weren't as strong. "Your competition sucked, therefore your elite-ness will be pegged down just because!" is an argument that never made sense to me

I just want to appreciate this streak as it is and not try to have people sucking them off too much or trying to diminish their accomplishment

The other thing is he's saying the whole "coasting" thing didn't really exist for him, which is why the blowing out teams thing is important. Giving zero fucks isn't really a great way to show dominance.

The other thing is he's saying the whole "coasting" thing didn't really exist for him, which is why the blowing out teams thing is important. Giving zero fucks isn't really a great way to show dominance.

yeah but do you really need the Heat to blow out the Kings for them to prove their dominance?

I kinda get what you're saying, I think you are saying teams shouldn't get a pass for coasting but like I said earlier it's a different era, different competition, waaaaay different league. If they were trying their hardest to blow teams out then maybe Clyde is right, they would blow their load before the playoffs come (Kinda like LeBron's Cavs) But they're basically seeing how far they can go with the minimal amount of effort till the playoffs to me

Emwitus

yeah but do you really need the Heat to blow out the Kings for them to prove their dominance?

I kinda get what you're saying, I think you are saying teams shouldn't get a pass for coasting but like I said earlier it's a different era, different competition, waaaaay different league. If they were trying their hardest to blow teams out then maybe Clyde is right, they would blow their load before the playoffs come (Kinda like LeBron's Cavs) But they're basically seeing how far they can go with the minimal amount of effort till the playoffs to me

y'all are playing most of your games against a conference where most of the playoff teams aren't even in top form while at the same time having a relatively healthy roster. That's a big advantage. Thank the basketball sterns.

y'all are playing most of your games against a conference where most of the playoff teams aren't even in top form while at the same time having a relatively healthy roster. That's a big advantage. Thank the basketball sterns.

I never denied that it's a big advantage! I love having the Heat in the Eastern Conference.

But perhaps IWMTB19 can speak about how the rest of the league's competition was in the 70s cause I sure don't know how much of a challenge the league/conferences was back then and I highly doubt anyone else here is an expert on that.

I never denied that it's a big advantage! I love having the Heat in the Eastern Conference.

But perhaps IWMTB19 can speak about how the rest of the league's competition was in the 70s cause I sure don't know how much of a challenge the league/conferences was back then and I highly doubt anyone else here is an expert on that.
Walt Clyde Frazier just did and you pooh-poohed him.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes

You had Kareem vs Walton. Already better than '10s.

At the same time, the NBA/ABA merger wasn't until '76.

Walt Clyde Frazier just did and you pooh-poohed him.

You had Kareem vs Walton. Already better than '10s.

Those were the best teams of that era though. I'm wondering about the rest of the league that weren't contenders but I want to know were they capable of putting up a fight or were they just meant to be bitches for everyone else? Like were the lower seeded/non playoff teams also as terrible as the teams now? And the bad teams now are BAD but how do we know bottom feeders back then weren't equally as shitty?

I don't know how back then's schedule worked either so I don't know how many times elite teams faced each other.

linsivvi

You don't need to be an expert to know that there were about half as many teams as we do now and any team would have to play the Lakers, Celtics, Knicks, etc 5-6 times in the 70s.

The Lakers beat the Celtics 3 times in their little win streak.

everyone in the 60s and especially the 70s was either coked up or hung over during games. Clyde's a goddamn fool. Tired of these crusty old fucks thinking their era was so much tougher.

The ABA was stealing players from the NBA in 1972 (which meant no Artis Gilmore, Doctor J, Rick Barry, etc in the NBA) so the if the Heat win 33 straight in this era, it will be a good bit more impressive than the Lakers winning 33 straight in 1972 I think.

Wonder what Wilt would have to say about the Heat's winning streak considering how ridiculously arrogant he was throughout most of his life. Probably similar to Clyde's but to an even blunter/more delusional degree.

everyone in the 60s and especially the 70s was either coked up or hung over during games. Clyde's a goddamn fool. Tired of these crusty old fucks thinking their era was so much tougher.

He said that this Heat is not better than 96 Bulls. How is he talking about his era?

The ABA was stealing players from the NBA in 1972 (which meant no Artis Gilmore, Doctor J, Rick Barry, etc in the NBA) so the if the Heat win 33 straight in this era, it will be a good bit more impressive than the Lakers winning 33 straight in 1972 I think.

Wonder what Wilt would have to say about the Heat's winning streak considering how ridiculously arrogant he was throughout most of his life. Probably similar to Clyde's but to an even blunter/more delusional degree.

Wilt would take a huge dump on big men today if he was playing.

linsivvi

Yeah I guess, I forgot how small as shit the league was back then

Yep. It probably didn't have a big effect on win percentage since you played the shit teams more too, but pulling a long win streak was definitely harder since it was hard not to run into an elite team every few games.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
The Suns won 49 games and didn't make the playoffs. Neither did the Sonics with 47 wins. Ouch.

But the Hawks and Bullets did with 38 and 36 wins.

So, let that sink in: the Lakers won 33 straight games in a conference where two teams with 47+ wins each didn't make the playoffs.

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air

yeah also teams had better players by default due to being less teams meaning you had to have a lot of talent to stick in the NBA back then. Right now the whole league is diluted.

yeah also teams had better players by default due to being less teams meaning you had to have a lot of talent to stick in the NBA back then. Right now the whole league is diluted.

Eh, that sounds logical but we don't know if the other talent that we don't hear about (guys who aren't in the Hall of Fame) was any good either. Or if it was in the other league.

Again I'm not saying I know this for certain but I don't think that less teams automatically means they're all better just cause you have to spread the talent around less. Who knows how good those marginal players actually were?

countered by the fact that players are bigger, stronger and faster today. Every team has a guy on their bench that would have averaged 20 ppg in the 70s by sheer athleticism. Players are groomed for the pros form 7th grade now and eat, sleep and shit basketball 365 days a year.

Amount of NBA+ABA teams in 1972: 28

...How is that less diluted than today? Also, watch the big men of Oscar's Royals or the guards for Kareem's early Laker teams try to play basketball and you will quickly lose the idea that you had to be more talented to get an NBA spot back then.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Its amazing how Psychological Intellect has somehow topped the post count for the past couple OTs - yet, I don't think anyone remembers him saying anything that sticks out.

Top Bottom