• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 Mar NBA Season lOT| Change This Face, Be Happy, Enjoy it!

linsivvi

Instead of a race to playoffs this is a true stumble to the post season.

It´s a joke, none of those teams are significant, and there´s a probability that either one of the thre will be swept in the first round by the Spurs or OKC.

Bottom seeds in the west haven´t been this shitty in a long time. Remember when you had to win 50 games or so to get in?

You can't just look at it like that. Wins don't come in a vacuum. In '08 nobody in the West were as dominant as the Spurs and the Thunders are, and there were 4 teams that were clearly tanking at the bottom. The Suns right now have a better winning percentage than those 4 teams.

A better way to look at the conference strength is winning percentage against the East. In '08 it was 57%, this season it is 58%.

In other words, the Eastern Conference is shit, and has been for a while.

Edit: And in '04 the West won 62% of their games against the East. Damn...

linsivvi

I feel like Rose is going to try and get traded soon. When is his opt out?

Under the 2011 CBA, maximum salaries, as expressed as a percentage of the cap, remained mostly unchanged. However, a player coming off his rookie scale contract is eligible to sign for 30% of the cap if he was voted to start in two All-Star Games, was named to an All-NBA Team twice, or was named MVP. This was dubbed the "Derrick Rose Rule" after the 2011 MVP. In addition, newly signed contracts now have a maximum duration of five years for players with Bird rights and four years for all other players (including sign-and-trade acquisitions). Every team is allowed one "designated player" who receives a five-year maximum extension on his rookie scale contract

His extension just kicked in and is named after him. There's no opt out.

LOL.

thekad

Banned
What an idiot. Someone who had to cheat on his SAT shouldn't be able to legally consent to a 5 year contract with no option.

Branduil

You can't just look at it like that. Wins don't come in a vacuum. In '08 nobody in the West were as dominant as the Spurs and the Thunders are, and there were 4 teams that were clearly tanking at the bottom. The Suns right now have a better winning percentage than those 4 teams.

A better way to look at the conference strength is winning percentage against the East. In '08 it was 57%, this season it is 58%.

In other words, the Eastern Conference is shit, and has been for a while.

Edit: And in '04 the West won 62% of their games against the East. Damn...

The eastern conference is actually worse than it has been a long time; that's how bad it is right now. I don't think a single eastern team is capable of winning a title outside of Miami, and that's not because the west is awesome, that's just how bad the east is right now.

If the eastern conference teams were in the west Miami would probably be the only playoff team.

The eastern conference is actually worse than it has been a long time; that's how bad it is right now. I don't think a single eastern team is capable of winning a title outside of Miami, and that's not because the west is awesome, that's just how bad the east is right now.

If the eastern conference teams were in the west Miami would probably be the only playoff team.

Thats a little bit of an exaggeration (the Pacers would definitely be in the playoffs; they're better than the Mavs/Lakers/Jazz) but not far from the truth.

I think if you were to power rank every NBA team you'd place 8 Western teams in the top 10

As if Miami needs any more advantages

The only other player that makes sense on that cluster fuck roster of theirs is Alex Len. I'd take Burke over Len.

Also think there is a good chance Bennett will fall to you if we don't take him. You guys need a stretch 4 and he's easily the best one in this draft.

29-Camron-NP.gif

Nah I'm good.

My board for the wiz:

1. Shabazz : Seems like the type of guy who coasted this year with the whole weight gain thing + Howland Effect + Never seemed to have any interest in anything other than playing in the NBA. Maybe once he gets there he'll start giving fucks.

2. Olynyk: New half-court PNR happy Wall having a guy as efficient shooting the ball as Olynyk would do wonders for his game. Wall would average 10APG with a big that can hit the mid range dump off with consistency.

3. Alex Len - Big body, nice jumper, good potential, hope we're not drafting Koufos II.

What an idiot. Someone who had to cheat on his SAT shouldn't be able to legally consent to a 5 year contract with no option.
two years ago he got some praise for being so loyal for not asking for a player option. kd doesn' have an option either, i think

KingGondo

Banned
Looking back at past NBA championships, it's crazy to think that there have been only 8 unique champions since 84. That's almost 30 years. In the same time frame, the NFL has had 14 unique champions, the NHL has had 15, and MLB has had 19.
It's harder to become a true championship contender in the NBA than it is in those sports. There's not as much roster turnover, and transcendent talent is a must (the lone exception being the 04 Pistons, which was a perfectly-assembled team of very good but not great guys who knew their roles). The fact that there are fewer guys playing makes a big difference too. The team with MJ/Hakeem/LeBron is gonna have a huge advantage in a 5 on 5 game, especially in the playoffs when they're playing 40+ minutes/game.

The other sports are more about who gets hot at the right time and makes a run through the playoffs, and the NHL has even more parity now because of the extremely punitive salary cap.

Also, teams like the Lakers of the 80s and 2000s don't deserve to be lumped together. As long as a major contributor has been added/lost, I don't consider these champions not to be "unique" just because they wear the same colors and team nickname.

He genuinely thought that The Bulls organization was really trying to win and not be a subsidiary of The White Sox.

I pray that I see the Bulls sold to different ownership in my lifetime. Even waiting for the current douche to die doesn't seem good enough, whoever it is he wills it to would probably care just as little as him.

Lack of Burke talk from IWMTB is kind of stunning. An underrated PG prospect with great college stats that's probably going to go like eight and he doesn't even reflect on the possibility...

I've talked about Burke, I like Burke, I hope the Jazz draft Burke. I just don't think he's physically gifted enough (and doesn't have the handle to make up for his lack of size or super quickness) to be great even if I think he'll be good.

AirBrian

Looking back at past NBA championships, it's crazy to think that there have been only 8 unique champions since 84. That's almost 30 years. In the same time frame, the NFL has had 14 unique champions, the NHL has had 15, and MLB has had 19.

You could actually go back to 1980 for championships. And since 1976, only 8 teams have represented the West and 11 in the East.

Jeff-DSA

It's how Stern wants things to be in the NBA. He's okay with a fluke team winning here and there, but he wants a few central powers in the league.

***** **** said:
My main focus has been defense. I just try to take a lot of pride in my defense and try to shut guys down.

The fuck is this.

Sern is retiring at the end of next season right? I wonder if Silver has a different vision for the league?

I doubt that vision will include best-of-3 rounds or unlimited salaries for a single player while still having a cap (two of the few things that could lead to parity) so I doubt too much change will happen in that area.

It's how Stern wants things to be in the NBA. He's okay with a fluke team winning here and there, but he wants a few central powers in the league.

Overall, you're mostly right. But this year isn't a great example.

The top teams out West are the Spurs, Thunder, Clippers, Grizzlies, Nuggets, Warriors, and Rockets. Except for the Spurs as a constant, and maybe the Rox, none of those are traditional Western powers. Instead, the Lakers, Mavs, and Jazz are fighting for the 8th spot, and the Suns are dead last.

Theres been quite a bit of shake up in the last few years. Sure, the Raptors, Kings, and Wizards are still awful, but lets not pretend the Warriors and Clippers being among the best isn't something out of the ordinary.

Jeff-DSA

Overall, you're largely right. But this year isn't a great example.

The top teams out West are the Spurs, Thunder, Clippers, Grizzlies, Nuggets, Warriors, and Rockets. Except for the Spurs as a constant, and maybe the Rox, none of those are traditional Western powers. Instead, the Lakers, Mavs, and Jazz are fighting for the 8th spot, and the Suns are dead last.

Theres been quite a bit of shake up in the last few years. Sure, the Raptors, Kings, and Wizards are still awful, but lets not pretend the Warriors and Clippers being among the best isn't something out of the ordinary.

This all happened because of Basketball Reasons, and I'm still shocked.

I've talked about Burke, I like Burke, I hope the Jazz draft Burke. I just don't think he's physically gifted enough (and doesn't have the handle to make up for his lack of size or super quickness) to be great even if I think he'll be good.

you don't think the 6'5" wingspan will help him cover for some things? I think he can better than prime Jameer/Mike Conley.

you don't think the 6'5" wingspan will help him cover for some things? I think he can better than prime Jameer/Mike Conley.

His measurements may be alright, but he just doesn't play athletically or big.

He seems to struggle to finish against everyone and doesn't get by people too easily.

Maybe (and hopefully) I'm wrong, but I think he'll be a bit worse than Conley because I think Conley is a lot quicker.

Statistically speaking the only team I could find that has a massive net rating advantage in matchups this season are the Knicks.

Pacers have a slight edge also.

please based god

let it be

KingGondo

Banned
Really trying to avoid all the Heat love. I think it would be worse if we lose this year than in 2011
Realistically, the only thing stopping Miami this year is 1) an injury to LeBron or 2) nagging injuries to 2 of the other big 3. They still have a chance of winning even if that happens though.

Even an LBJ-less Heat is good enough to win the East, and once you get to the Finals all bets are off.

Realistically, the only thing stopping Miami this year is 1) an injury to LeBron or 2) nagging injuries to 2 of the other big 3. They still have a chance of winning even if that happens though.

Even an LBJ-less Heat is good enough to win the East, and once you get to the Finals all bets are off.

In the Finals all it takes is a shitty game or two to get a team totally mind fucked (see: 2011 Finals)

I think they're past that stage and handle adversity a lot better but not taking anything for granted, anything can happen

I mean, Christ, last year I was certain they'd get eliminated in Boston

I will be making the biggest eat a bag of dicks y'all post I have ever done if we keep the team.

Usually you make a EABOD post when it's against people who have wanted the team out

And I don't think anyone here has wanted that

also your EABOD post will never top DM's a few years ago when another team failed 72-10

effzee

In the Finals all it takes is a shitty game or two to get a team totally mind fucked (see: 2011 Finals)

I think they're past that stage and handle adversity a lot better but not taking anything for granted, anything can happen

I mean, Christ, last year I was certain they'd get eliminated in Boston

IF Boston slides to the 8th spot Miami will have the toughest possible match up.

Bread

Banned
2. Olynyk: New half-court PNR happy Wall having a guy as efficient shooting the ball as Olynyk would do wonders for his game. Wall would average 10APG with a big that can hit the mid range dump off with consistency.
I don't see what you're seeing with Olynyk. Every time I've seen him play, he's taken stiffs off the dribble and scored close, and when the defense actually focused on containing him, he was shut down. He feasted on terrible teams all season and folded against Wichita in the final 5 minutes. I can't see him doing anything in the NBA.

giri

Is there a larger whinging vagina in the NBA than Dwight at the moment?

The guy that was told he had to wear a second shooting sleeve so his elbows would stop drawing blood, is getting upset in the media over... copping an elbow?

god, i hope the lakers miss the play offs just so there is less of this dweeb in the media.

I don't see what you're seeing with Olynyk. Every time I've seen him play, he's taken stiffs off the dribble and scored close, and when the defense actually focused on containing him, he was shut down. He feasted on terrible teams all season and folded against Wichita in the final 5 minutes. I can't see him doing anything in the NBA.

You can say that about anyone in the draft this year though. Nobody that goes lottery has not been shutdown at some point by some bum squad.

I'm not concerned about his rebounding at PF...his advanced percentages are better than Zellers and not even that far from Nerlens.

Offensively I'm looking at this through the lens of having John Wall, who routinely places his PF's and C's within this offense right on the FT line, and his finishing ability (ORTG,TS%) is crazy good, not to mention he passed the eye test.

His teammates are bums anyway. David Stockton.

Top Bottom