• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 NBA Playoffs |OT| Lakers started from the bottom, and they still there

PBY

Banned
But he's not making that argument, you are. You're the one who can'tuse regular season examples.

I was responding to this:
"And the last time Knicks did it their home court was silenced, fans running for the exits in the third because Melo got in that ass. I like the 4th quarter shots of Lebron and Wade sulking as Carmelo was dropping bombs."

NY is liable to lay an egg and give a game to the old Celtics. Not to mention that they could lose to Indy....why are we looking ahead to the heat, let alone saying they have a shot?

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Huh?

He's a top 5 PG. I honestly don't even get what you're trying to say.

He's a Top 5 PG today. What I'm trying to say is that he's a deeply flawed player, but due to the watered down product that we are seeing on the floor today, he's still good enough to sway the balance in a championship battle.

NY is liable to lay an egg and give a game to the old Celtics. Not to mention that they could lose to Indy....why are we looking ahead to the heat, let alone saying they have a shot?
I'm not, I've been saying if they do meet. And NY will probably lose Game 4... in fact I'm hoping they do.
At least some Knick fans get it.
Because of the opponent and their deeply flawed nature, fuck 2 wins.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
The fact that one of the big keys to determining which team will win a championship rests on Russell Westbrook is... Yeah, fuck this league. Shameball all around.

Dude is a pretty good player

Vestal

The fact that one of the big keys to determining which team will win a championship rests on Russell Westbrook is... Yeah, fuck this league. Shameball all around.

umm huh?? Miami has been considered the favorites to chip. Okc was considered as coming out of the west. One of their 2 stars goes down and the landscape changes, what's so wrong about that?

He's a Top 5 PG today. What I'm trying to say is that he's a deeply flawed player, but due to the watered down product that we are seeing on the floor today, he's still good enough to sway the balance in a championship battle.

I think a 24 PER, 36 MPG player for a contending team getting hurt would affect potential championship battles every year.

reilo

Dude is a pretty good player

We used to make fun of guys like him. They were the Marburys and Francises of the league, and then we'd point and laugh at them.

umm huh?? Miami has been considered the favorites to chip. Okc was considered as coming out of the west. One of their 2 stars goes down and the landscape changes, what's so wrong about that?

I'm saying that Westbrook sucks. Read between the lines, people.

Oh, you want to lose to Boston, so you can finish them at home. That's dumb.
The "Yay Knicks won a series" mix tape I'm putting on YouTube needs the MSG fan celebration. I think it looks better, I even have the song ready.
I'm still pissed the Red Sox didn't throw a game to come back to Boston for any of their championships. What jerks!
Too busy throwing the 1st 3 gamesin the Yankee series, plus Boston faced teams that were actually constructed pretty well.

reilo

I think a 24 PER, 36 MPG player for a contending team getting hurt would affect potential championship battles every year.

Marbury had a PER of 23 at age 23.

Francis had a PER of 22 at age 21. And again a PER of 21 at age 25.

Heed my warnings, people.

Vahagn

0-2?

You can't draw any real conclusions from those games though.

Yea you can. Every time Dallas went zone in the regular season against Miami it shut Miami down for long stretches.

That was obvious to everyone. Celtics destroyed LA in 2008 during the regular season. Did in the Finals too.

It's not like all regular season matchups predict playoff success, but in some cases they do. And the Dallas-Miami one showed that Miami, much like LA, struggled against the zone.

PBY

Banned
Yea you can. Every time Dallas went zone in the regular season against Miami it shut Miami down for long stretches.

That was obvious to everyone. Celtics destroyed LA in 2008 during the regular season. Did in the Finals too.

It's not like all regular season matchups predict playoff success, but in some cases they do. And the Dallas-Miami one showed that Miami, much like LA, struggled against the zone.

So no but yes? VAAAAAAAAAAAG

Blackace

We used to make fun of guys like him. They were the Marburys and Francises of the league, and then we'd point and laugh at them.
When teamed with a big star they were considered quality assets
Only when teams tried to make them Star A instead of B did they become jokes

I don't understand why the idea of the Knicks beating the Heat is absurd. I mean the Knicks literally put a whopping on them in every game this season. Even the game the Knicks lost. The knicks were dominating. I could understand if the games were close, but the Knicks were blowing them out. Obviously none of this means anything in the playoffs , but it does mean the knicks will not get walked over like a door mat.

PBY

Banned
I don't understand why the idea of the Knicks beating the Heat is absurd. I mean the Knicks literally put a whopping on them in every game this season. Even the game the Knicks lost. The knicks were dominating. I could understand if the games were close, but the Knicks were blowing them out. Obviously none of this means anything in the playoffs , but it does mean the knicks will not get walked over like a door mat.

You answered your own question.

reilo

When teamed with a big star they were considered quality assets
Only when teams tried to make them Star A instead of B did they become jokes

True story: the most successful team that Marbury was a key player on? '98 Timberwolves that won 45 games.

Well, we know the Bulls can't really score; they ranked just 24th in points per possession in the regular season. The Nets ranked a robust ninth, and third in the Eastern Conference, but they have absolutely fallen apart over the last two games against a Bulls defense gleefully ignoring Reggie Evans and Gerald Wallace. The degree to which Wallace has become a liability — not just an average player, but a straight-up liability — in the first season of a four-year, $40 million deal is stunning.

Brooklyn has scored just 88.6 points per 100 possessions in this series with those two in the lineup, a figure that would have ranked last in the league by nearly 10 full points — a remarkable stat, considering it includes the Nets rout in Game 1. That number is down to an unthinkable 62.2 points per 100 possessions over the last two games.

First, the Knicks have to get out of the first round, then think about playing a Pacers team that is too stupid to know that they suck. I'm not ready to put the Knicks in the eastern conference finals yet.

Vahagn

So no but yes? VAAAAAAAAAAAG

Get at me when you've got a 100% playoff predictor. Until then, it's probably wise not to disparage all bits of information that don't provide 100% predictive results.

Do you do this with finances too? Ignore all past performance data simply because there's no guarantee of predicting future results?

As I said, when you get the 100% sports outcome predictor and the 100% stock predictor. Hit me up.

reilo

Does it burn Knicks-age that the Nuggets are still the better team?

MVP

Banned

LOL @ the Knicks and Carmelo C'anthony having even a slim chance at beating the Miami Heat in a playoff series. I'd be shocked if the Heat don't do what the Lakers couldn't and go 16-0 all the way through.

Because one of the wins Knicks did it without Carmelo. Heat throught they could cruise and got bulldozed. Another the Heat decided to rest the starters, and the third on Opening Night the Heat apparently "didn't want to play" and shit.

It's not going to mean much to the Heat, but in terms of building confidence it means alot to NY. Of course they'd actually have to meet in the playoffs for it to matter.

LOL @ the Knicks and Carmelo C'anthony having even a slim chance at beating the Miami Heat in a playoff series. I'd be shocked if the Heat don't do what the Lakers couldn't and go 16-0 all the way through.

JFJl5.gif

PBY

Banned
Get at me when you've got a 100% playoff predictor. Until then, it's probably wise not to disparage all bits of information that don't provide 100% predictive results.

Do you do this with finances too? Ignore all past performance data simply because there's no guarantee of predicting future results?

As I said, when you get the 100% sports outcome predictor and the 100% stock predictor. Hit me up.

Wait, did you just come at me with a finance analogy? Lmao. I don't even know what you're trying to say here.

Vestal

I'm saying that Westbrook sucks. Read between the lines, people.
I know what you were saying, I just find it a bit absurd. I find ynbs game to me the cancer of okc in regards to he taking more shots than kd and just making really bad decision. However it doesn't deny the fact that he is a great athlete and while he hinders KD he is still part of the reason that they have the second best record in the league

reilo

Your point is I am right? Awesome

No, my point is that mating a guy like Kevin Garnett with a player like Marbury nets you 45 wins and a quick sweep in the playoffs. Today, you pair a guy of KG's caliber (Durant) with a guy like Marbury (Westbrook), and it puts you on a path to the Finals. Back then? His ass got shipped out and rotted in Jersey.

Really, what I'm saying is that the league has changed enough today where guys like YNB/Marbury/Franics/etc can actually be a net-positive to a team due to the rule changes and preferred style of play.

balddemon

Banned
If curry doesn't play tonight it will be hard for me to enjoy the playoffs tonight. If he's out then my two favorite players are out with injuries - westbrook and curry

Blackace

No, my point is that mating a guy like Kevin Garnett with a player like Marbury nets you 45 wins and a quick sweep in the playoffs. Today, you pair a guy of KG's caliber (Durant) with a guy like Marbury (Westbrook), and it puts you on a path to the Finals. Back then? His ass got shipped out and rotted in Jersey.

Really, what I'm saying is that the league has changed enough today where guys like YNB/Marbury/Franics/etc can actually be a net-positive to a team due to the rule changes and preferred style of play.

If you ignore the rest of the team you make a good point

You answered your own question.
That is because i know nothing is guaranteed in life. You Miami fans act like teams can't even get a game off you. The Heat better hope they don't see the knicks. I believe they will and a lot of heats fans a re going to be sad that they have to keep their champagne on ice.

Because one of the wins Knicks did it without Carmelo. Heat throught they could cruise and got bulldozed. Another the Heat decided to rest the starters, and the third on Opening Night the Heat apparently "didn't want to play" and shit.

It's not going to mean much to the Heat, but in terms of building confidence it means alot to NY. Of course they'd actually have to meet in the playoffs for it to matter.

The knicks know they can not only beat the heat, but embarrass them. That is the type of confidence they have. They know they let the 1 game the heat did win go. If every game was close then I would have my doubts. However they torched them too many times for me not to believe they can get it done.

You forget that I'm of the opinion that Ibaka and Martin suck dangly bits.

So Westbrook, Ibaka, and Martin suck. And surely you'd agree Perkins and Fisher sucks.

So basically the Thunder are awesome because of Durant, Thabo, and Collinson and that's it.

makes no sense.

comparing WB to Starbury is silly. WB is still really efficient in comparison.

And while Ibaka is overrated on defense, he is underrated on offense.

Top Bottom