• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 NBA Playoffs |OT| Lakers started from the bottom, and they still there

diehard

Fleer
Just like a Jazz fan to quote regular season records when a player's ability to "win" is questioned.

"By Win you mean regular season winning percentages right?"

You're a laker fan, your team got blown out, shouldn't you have left the building already?

kobehobbled.gif

Laker fans can truly rest in peace.

pilonv1

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/blog/k...s-fixing-it-will-hurt-may-include-losing-kobe

Long before the soul-searching is over for these Lakers, ominous decisions will have to be made. The payroll already stands at $79 million for next season before Kupchak re-signs Howard. With the All-Star center re-signed, the Lakers will be at roughly $100 million without adding a soul to the roster.

With the new luxury-tax rates kicking in next season, that would put the Lakers' tax bill at a whopping $76.5 million (assuming an estimated $72 million tax threshold.) Beyond the sheer magnitude of the expense, staying irreparably above the dreaded tax apron -- $4 million above the tax line -- would deny Kupchak the tools necessary to improve the roster. No full mid-level exception, no bi-annual exception and no acquiring players in sign-and-trades.

basketball reasons

Vahagn

Well, they also made the conference finals and Finals in those seasons so I'm not sure what you're going for here.

Championships, going for championships. You're just re-affirming my point here.

And, for the record, Dwight stunk it up in the finals, and lost game 4 at the FT line.

Haha. No clue man. I guess if you were debating that if he was lighter he may have less knee pain that seems reasonable. But from the comfort of my basement I couldn't tell you anything about Wade's knee. No mathematical equation for weight/age/height to determine what an athlete should weigh. Does anyone even know what type of knee problems he is having?

But if he was wearing Adidas I could act smart and blame the scientists that made that ultra light foam. But outside of that I got nothing. :)
worth a try, Wade's knees are always suffering from something.

TNT replay that damn dunk, jeez,

And, for the record, Dwight stunk it up in the finals, and lost game 4 at the FT line.

Dwight has NEVER gotten to play on the most talented team in the league or had a team that was a consensus favorite to win the finals

So why you're putting that on him, I do not know

I'm not sure what your point is.

Are you arguing that "anything"=championships? Because there's only three guys in the NBA who have won a title as the best player on the team and are still somewhat close to how good they used to be (LeBron, Wade, Duncan, I guess you can argue Dirk) so you seem to not think highly of most of the league.

BobLoblaw

Banned
If this team gets healthy and has a great summer... they will come back to be a top 3 team in the west.
Everything else you said was true, but this is ridiculous. No way the Lakers will be a top 3 team. Pringles is still coach, there's no guarantee that Kobe will be Kobe (or when he will even come back), Dwight hasn't resigned yet, Nash is still old, Pau is not young, MWP is a shell, and their shit bench will still be a shit bench.

At best they can maybe be a 5-6 seed behind the Thunder, Spurs, Clippers, Grizzlies, and maybe the Warriors. Bottom line though is thinking they have the potential to be a 3 seed next year is a nice little set up for another first round exit next year. Until next summer, this team isn't going anywhere, healthy or not.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
worth a try, Wade's knees are always suffering from something.

TNT replay that damn dunk, jeez,

Yeah I would totally enjoy a casual conversation debating the possible reasons for knee issues. But trying to isolate a single contribution factor is just guessing. Wade could have torn his meniscus picking up one of his kids and just kept it quiet. Heck I tore some cartilage in my left knee while doing some Christmas shopping at a Walmart. Was walking, stopped and turned quick and heard a pop in my knee. I fell into a display of one of those M&M dudes sitting on a recliner. You pushed down on the leg rest of the recliner and a peanut M&M rolled into his hand. I took out a palette of those. Haha. It was painful, embarrassing and hilarious at the same time.

Vahagn

I'm not sure what your point is.

Are you arguing that "anything"=championships? Because there's only three guys in the NBA who have won a title as the best player on the team and are still somewhat close to how good they used to be (LeBron, Wade, Duncan) so you seem to not think highly of most of the league.

I'm just pointing out the silliness of you responding to someone saying Dwight Howard won't be able to allow us to win as our best player by showing a regular season record.

And you forgot Parker and Dirk from that list. And possibly Kobe too depending on how well/fast he comes back. But that's a separate point.

If you think Dwight as the best player on his team can beat a loaded Thunder with Durant, a loaded Miami with Lebron, a loaded Spurs with Duncan, a loaded Chicago with Rose, or a loaded Clippers with CP3 - I don't agree.

So dude's point is valid, Dwight as our best option won't result in chips. We need to look elsewhere if we want more than 50 win seasons and a WCF berth

So dude's point is valid, Dwight as our best option won't result in chips. We need to look elsewhere if we want more than 50 win seasons and a WCF berth

I would love to know who you think you can realistically bring in who you would call the best player on a championship team

media were totally wrong on this series..im guessing its cayse the Nuggets are the media darlings and the Warriors played like shit after the all star break

Vahagn

I would love to know who you think you can realistically bring in who you would call the best player on a championship team

No one, at least not for a while. Lebron if he comes but he won't. That's why there are usually long breaks when one superstar leaves. I'm all for re-signing Dwight to keep us out of irrelevance and make us a playoff team...but to win? We'll need someone else as our number 1.

Top Bottom