• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 NBA Playoffs |OT| Lakers started from the bottom, and they still there

bjb

Banned
wait, they really gave white flags (towels) to Laker fans before game 4?

lol

130429003354-lakers-offseason-dwight-howard-kobe-pau-gasol-t1-wide.jpg

lol

bjb

Banned
Wearing a tshirt under a blazer is perfectly fine as long as its plain imo. Kobe's shirt though looks like one of those affliction/tapout abortion shirts

I wasn't really familiar with the Affliction brand so I had to look up the shirts. Then the definition:

Affliction:
1. the state of being afflicted

2. the cause of persistent pain or distress

3. great suffering

Sounds like the Lakers season lol

Im not sold on Dwight because he hasn't shown us how/if he will fully recover, and his offensive game is still limited. However- the "bitch" narrative is dumb. Even if he is childish, I'm not sure that affects his ability to play- but more likely, it's just that every little thing he does is feeding into this broad narrative that surrounds him. The same happened with Lebron in 2010- and look where we are just one year removed from LeBitch.

As far as we know, Lebron never got a coach fired. And he's apparently highly coachable and a great teammate. And his game has improved every year he's been in the league. So yes, in the past Lebron has faked injuries and publicly humiliated the Cavs with his ESPN announcement, but the guy also has a Finals MVP, a ring, and multiple league MVPs. Dwight Howard is the same old Dwight he was years ago except now he has back issues. People have short memories when players start winning. Dwight Howard will never be a winner so the "bitch" narrative around him will only get worse.

giri

As far as we know, Lebron never got a coach fired. And he's apparently highly coachable and a great teammate. And his game has improved every year he's been in the league. So yes, in the past Lebron has faked injuries and publicly humiliated the Cavs with his ESPN announcement, but the guy also has a Finals MVP, a ring, and multiple league MVPs. Dwight Howard is the same old Dwight he was years ago except now he has back issues. People have short memories when players start winning. Dwight Howard will never be a winner so the "bitch" narrative around him will only get worse.

You're completely wrong in every way in your first 3 sentences.

It's a nice re-write of history though.

Triple U

Banned

Lebron never got Brown fired directly, but the Cavs fired him to try and sway Lebron. I'd say he's pretty coachable though. He bought in to Mike Browns system and played D and he obviously buys into Spo's. Most of Lebron's teammates past and present seem to like him.

Lebrons problem is his ego. He's definitely more likeable these days but not to long ago he was "blessing us every night with his game". Dwight is just confused.

Lebron never got Brown fired directly, but the Cavs fired him to try and sway Lebron. I'd say he's pretty coachable though. He bought in to Mike Browns system and played D and he obviously buys into Spo's. Most of Lebron's teammates past and present seem to like him.

Lebrons problem is his ego. He's definitely more likeable these days but not to long ago he was "blessing us every night with his game". Dwight is just confused.

Lebron should not be held accountable for what his franchise did. My fathers sins are not my own. And yes, Lebron has an ego. But most superstars do. So does Kobe. Duncan and Dirk don't, but they're anomalies. His ESPN special is all on him, but blame Danny Ferry for trying to keep him there by cleaning house.

lol @ giri saying Lebron's game has not improved. You are really clueless if you believe that. He's more efficient than ever. He's developed a reliable three point shot and a jump shot. This year, he set a career high in rebounding, three point AND field goal percentage. Compare that to Dwight Howard's game. In his rookie year he shot nearly 67% from the line. This year? 49%. He still doesn't have any semblance of a front facing offensive game. You're out of your mind.

giri

LoL

oh how quickly we forget LBJ's very public campaign to get Spo fired when he moved to Miami.

lol.

LBJ is many things, but people are just re-writing the narrative they want.

LoL

oh how quickly we forget LBJ's very public campaign to get Spo fired when he moved to Miami.

lol.

LBJ is many things, but people are just re-writing the narrative they want.

No offense, but no one is going to take you seriously when you believe that Lebron has not improved his game. That's more ridiculous than Curry's jumpshot.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
No offense, but no one is going to take you seriously when you believe that Lebron has not improved his game. That's more ridiculous than Curry's jumpshot.

I would like to hear what aspects of his game he has improved on..

I would like to hear what aspects of his game he has improved on..

His three point shooting for one. And his overall field goal percentage. He improved his rebounding this year as well. When he entered the league he shot less than 30% from three point land and now he averages over 40%. And he shoots them quite a bit too. His overall defense has also steadily increased since he entered the league.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Shooting, ball-handling, low post scoring, decision making.

His stats outside of his FG% are pretty much the same as his height in Cle.. He has gotten better but I would say some of his improvements is due to playing on a much better team

His stats outside of his FG% are pretty much the same as his height in Cle.. He has gotten better but I would say some of his improvements is due to playing on a much better team

hes a much smarter ball player than he was even 2 years ago and doesnt fuck around anymore with bailout long jumpers. hes either driving, posting up and if he does shoot a long jumper its cause his defender sagged off him or went under a screen. hes playing completely to his strengths, which is what everyone asked of him from the start. i dunno what left there is for him to do other than improve his free throw shooting

Triple U

Banned

He committed a career low number of turnovers and a brought down a career high number of rebounds also. I mean I can see a part of his assists going up or the turnovers lower because of a better team but I also think it has alot more to do with him simply peaking.

Even in his Cleveland MVP years or when he was dropping 30 a game, I've never seen him as good as he is now. And it has nothing to do with him "becoming clutch" or even his finals win. He's just alot better.

hes a much smarter ball player than he was even 2 years ago and doesnt fuck around anymore with bailout long jumpers. hes either driving, posting up and if he does shoot a long jumper its cause his defender sagged off him or went under a screen. hes playing completely to his strengths, which is what everyone asked of him from the start. i dunno what left there is for him to do other than improve his free throw shooting

Not to mention that when he first entered the league people were daring him to shoot three pointers. I'd watch players intentionally sag off of him like he was Rondo. Now if you sag off on him he's going to hit threes.

Vahagn

Lebron has taken huge leaps forward in the past couple years, part of that is just being in your athletic prime on a great great team.

But to say that Lebron has improved his game every year isn't true. Lebron in 2006 and Lebron in 2010 had the same holes. Weak footwork, no low post game, streaky jumpshot, etc.

All of the improvements most people talk about have happened in the last 2 years, there weren't even any marked improvements in his first season in Miami.

As for FG% - much of that is a product of playing in a better team and getting easier looks. Pau Gasol's fg% jumped something like 8-10% from the first half of the 07-08 season when he was in Memphis to the second half when he was in LA. Did he "improve his game" or just get better looks?

his fg% jumped from 53% last year to 57% this year. 36% from three last year to 40% this year on 100 more attempts. you cant downplay this shit, lol.

Vahagn

his fg% jumped from 53% last year to 57% this year. 36% from three last year to 40% this year on 100 more attempts. you cant downplay this shit, lol.

Last couple years he's gotten leaps and bounds better on his jump shot and his low post game. But he also, due to the strength of the team and the teams defense, almost never has to shoot a tough shot - you can't downplay that either.

And none of this proves he's gotten "better every year he's been in the league" anyway.

Last couple years he's gotten leaps and bounds better on his jump shot and his low post game. But he also, due to the strength of the team and the teams defense, almost never has to shoot a tough shot - you can't downplay that either.

And none of this proves he's gotten "better every year he's been in the league" anyway.

wat. I must be missing all those lay ups and and 1s at the rim where he plows through two or three defenders and finishes through significant contact.
edit: oh you mean jumpshooting.

Vahagn

wat. I must be missing all those lay ups and and 1s at the rim where he plows through two or three defenders and finishes through significant contact.
edit: oh you mean jumpshooting.

Yea I do. As for the layups with contact, for purposes of FG% that's a freebie. If the whistle blows - and it usually does when he misses a layup - it doesn't negatively affect his FG% anyway.

Triple U

Banned
Lebron has taken huge leaps forward in the past couple years, part of that is just being in your athletic prime on a great great team.

But to say that Lebron has improved his game every year isn't true. Lebron in 2006 and Lebron in 2010 had the same holes. Weak footwork, no low post game, streaky jumpshot, etc.

All of the improvements most people talk about have happened in the last 2 years, there weren't even any marked improvements in his first season in Miami.

As for FG% - much of that is a product of playing in a better team and getting easier looks. Pau Gasol's fg% jumped something like 8-10% from the first half of the 07-08 season when he was in Memphis to the second half when he was in LA. Did he "improve his game" or just get better looks?

I don't really equate improving your game fully to diversifying it. Its an important aspect sure, but its not end-all be-all. Getting better at what you're already good at is certainly improving.

Lebron took a huge jump from year one to two, another decent jump the year following. By year four he was in the finals, but he seemingly took a step back in stats. In 08 he was a fringe MVP candidate, by 09 and 10 he was winning it. I think 11 was another plateau but still, I would think that he's improved year to year pretty consistently.

Vahagn

I don't really equate improving your game fully to diversifying it. Its an important aspect sure, but its not end-all be-all. Getting better at what you're already good at is certainly improving.

Lebron took a huge jump from year one to two, another decent jump the year following. By year four he was in the finals, but he seemingly took a step back in stats. In 08 he was a fringe MVP candidate, by 09 and 10 he was winning it. I think 11 was another plateau but still, I would think that he's improved year to year pretty consistently.

The talent around him kept getting better. Much of the improvement you're attributing to him isn't born out in his numbers or in his ability to fix weaknesses, but in team success. Team success born out through improved talent and chemistry after a few years together and with coach Brown. Lebron was a fringe MVP candidate in 06 too. Some people thought he was a better player than Kobe during that year.

The fact is that most NBA players don't get better every year. Wade for example, hasn't shown much improvement since the 08-09 season. Once you're able to develop a complete game (which for most superstars happens within 5-6 years) - then its about small tweaks and mentally improving through experience and more hours watching film, developing chemistry, etc.

Lebron is an interesting case because up until his 8th season - he still had glaring holes in his game so the improvement is visible.

Triple U

Banned
The talent around him kept getting better. Much of the improvement you're attributing to him isn't born out in his numbers or in his ability to fix weaknesses, but in team success. Team success born out through improved talent and chemistry after a few years together and with coach Brown. Lebron was a fringe MVP candidate in 06 too. Some people thought he was a better player than Kobe during that year.

The fact is that most NBA players don't get better every year. Wade for example, hasn't shown much improvement since the 08-09 season. Once you're able to develop a complete game (which for most superstars happens within 5-6 years) - then its about small tweaks and mentally improving through experience and more hours watching film, developing chemistry, etc.

Lebron is an interesting case because up until his 8th season - he still had glaring holes in his game so the improvement is visible.

I disagree. If anything our offensive talent moved laterally, or even decreased until around 08. After Boozer left, the best offensive player we had after bron was a 11PPG on 37% shooting larry hughes. I don't think there's any factual basis at all to claim that Lebrons offensive improvements came from his terrible offensive team-mates. He simply got better as he got more comfortable.

Team success certainly came with Mike Brown and his defense though. Lebron is interesting because even though he had weaknesses that people deemed crippling, he was still rapidly growing to MVP levels. I stick with my claim that he's consistently improved.

LuchaShaq

Banned
If the Lakers give Dwight the full max they are idiots.

I can't think of a single player in the NBA more bitchmade than Dwight. How can you be the "best" center in the league when most Rec league pg's have more post moves than you?

I'll take any NBA player in a fight over Dwight Howard, that is how mentally weak that cat is. Can't even handle third stringers like Baynes/Joseph without throwing a hissy fit.

He should go to Houston where noone will pay attention to him because of Harden being great and Lin has crazy Asian media attention.

Dwight was LOOKING to get ejected bitching every second the 2nd half started. Guy wanted an easy way out.

Dwight makes LeBron's worst moments in Cleveland look like a war hero's story of courage and toughness.

Also Kobe waiting for the 2nd half to be underway to come out and get the gigantic fan response was both hilarious and perfect.

MVP

Banned

lol now you're just making shit up...let me guess, you're gonna post a video of their accidental shoulder bump, and call that his "very public campaign"?

LBJ, unlike a lot of the so-called greats who were divas (Kobe, Jordan, etc.), is coachable by anybody as long as you're not a moron. He deserves the creme de la creme of coaching, but he's never complained, he just goes out there and beasts it every single year. His basketball IQ is through the roof and all you need to do is just vaguely coach the supporting cast and let him create the game around him. That's how good he is.

Top Bottom