• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 NBA Playoffs |OT| Lakers started from the bottom, and they still there

I like to think that teammates would just be mature about it. Who cares.

Eh, I can see why somebody would be uncomfortable about it in the same way a female athlete might be uncomfortable about showering with a male teammate. That's why I think we'd be better off if we just didn't care at all, but we do.

Vire

Metta World Peace on Jason Collins...
"Whether it's a free country or not, you should be free to act as you want to do as long as it's not violent. No matter what it is. I came here in a Cookie Monster shirt because I wanted to, and I was going to wear the pants. But I thought you guys were going to judge me. I was going to wear the hat too. But I thought you guys would judge me. I didn't want Mitch [Kupchak] to judge me. So that's why I didn't wear the hats and the pants. But I should've wore it. You should be free to do and act how you want to act."

I shouldn't even be surprised anymore.

Glad that Collins is at a place where he can openly be who he is. Nobody should have to hide who they are because there are assholes in the world.

It would be nice if he could be in the league 1 more year just for what it would mean. Also nice to see the quick outpouring from numerous people in the NBA. Hopefully, this is a turning point.

KingGondo

Banned
It probably would have been nice for the guy in your avatar to see more than 200 total minutes. Including the 41 he played in the last game of the regular season.
No joke. He wasn't terribly impressive in that game, but he also hasn't had a chance to get acclimated to the NBA game and get used to playing alongside our rotation guys.

He's certainly more potent and dynamic than Fisher at this point, why not give him some burn?

iamvin22

Industry Verified
howarddealwithit.gif

the eye tracking is glorious. omg i am the floor right now lOL

Glad that Collins is at a place where he can openly be who he is. Nobody should have to hide who they are because there are assholes in the world.

It would be nice if he could be in the league 1 more year just for what it would mean. Also nice to see the quick outpouring from numerous people in the NBA. Hopefully, this is a turning point.

Yeah, it was real cool to see TP put up a note on his Facebook page throwing support towards Collins.

As for Gondo's conditional cheering of the Spurs, I kinda get it. He'd rather Timmy get a 5th ring than Lebron getting a second. That said, after the WCF last year, I just wanted both teams to lose.

dream

I'm not sure what I just read.

Metta is explaining that he once compromised his principles, modifying his identity because he was afraid of being castigated by his peers and his boss. And, in hindsight, he realizes now that it was a mistake--that he betrayed himself by doing so. As a result, Metta is very supportive of Jason Collins because the ex-Wizard stayed true to himself, making no excuses, and offering no apologies, in a way that is inspirational and empowering to Metta World Peace.

masud

Banned
Is Collins even gonna make a roster next season? If not how is this different from John Amaechi? It's not fair that nobody even remembers him.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Is Collins even gonna make a roster next season? If not how is this different from John Amaechi? It's not fair that nobody even remembers him.

Amaechi wasn't an active player afaik which is the big deal here. Some guys who have come out post career were worried if they came out how their job would be affected, and how teammates would react.

Emwitus

Yeah, it was real cool to see TP put up a note on his Facebook page throwing support towards Collins.

As for Gondo's conditional cheering of the Spurs, I kinda get it. He'd rather Timmy get a 5th ring than Lebron getting a second. That said, after the WCF last year, I just wanted both teams to lose.

This would be the best outcome of the season really

Nothing really to get fired over. It just made for awkward tv. ESPN is unbearable to watch right now. I'm gonna go watch Friends reruns instead.

To be fair to Chris Broussard, he was being very clear that he is tolerant of other people being gay, saying it isn't his place to do anything about what other people choose to do. He was basically saying "Hey, my religion says that is bad, so I think it's bad. But I'm not anybody in a position to tell others what to do. If that's how they wish to live, that's fine, but I don't agree with it. God will be the judge of that, not me".

I'm fine with that for the most part. I disagree with him, but I don't really care what dumb things he thinks if it leads to no actions.

KingGondo

Banned
Glad I unfollowed Broussard on Twitter a long time ago. Spamming his BS website and posting "rumors" that had approximately a .001% chance of coming true. That it, unless someone else had already reported on it.

Glad I unfollowed Broussard on Twitter a long time ago. Spamming his BS website and posting "rumors" that had approximately a .001% chance of coming true. That it, unless someone else had already reported on it.

I followed him and a shit ton of others during "the decision". I promptly un-followed him immediately after.

To be fair to Chris Broussard, he was being very clear that he is tolerant of other people being gay, saying it isn't his place to do anything about what other people choose to do. He was basically saying "Hey, my religion says that is bad, so I think it's bad. But I'm not anybody in a position to tell others what to do. If that's how they wish to live, that's fine, but I don't agree with it. God will be the judge of that, not me".

I'm fine with that for the most part. I disagree with him, but I don't really care what dumb things he thinks if it leads to no actions.

Like so many other people in this gay equality debate, he should leave his religion out of it.

Like so many other people in this gay equality debate, he should leave his religion out of it.

If he was asked to voice his opinion, I don't see why he should leave his religion out of it. I'm glad he brought up his religion. It's just an easy way to let us all know we should start ignoring him now.

If he was asked to voice his opinion, I don't see why he should leave his religion out of it. I'm glad he brought up his religion. It's just an easy way to let us all know we should start ignoring him now.

He is a sports reporter on a sports network. Nobody cares about his religious beliefs, especially not when you are trying to use them as a front for your ignorance.

KingGondo

Banned
That's the thing, that's his only supposed "authority" he can use to justify his underlying homophobia.

The whole "hate the sin, love the sinner" thing is such transparent bullshit. Being gay isn't something Jason Collins "does," it's part of who he is.

Multiple sources tell me Chris Broussard can go fuck himself.

Admitting to not having power or judgement over folks is really not of note when you're literally saying how much of an intolerant jackass you are to millions of people.

Giving a religious reason for why you're an intolerant shithead isn't a good enough excuse.

That's the thing, that's his only supposed "authority" he can use to justify his underlying homophobia.

The whole "hate the sin, love the sinner" thing is such transparent bullshit. Being gay isn't something Jason Collins "does," it's part of who he is.

Exactly. "Don't blame me, God tells me to be a homophobe!" doesn't fly.

Celtics coach Doc Rivers coached Jason Collins for 32 games at the start of this season before Collins was traded to the Wizards at the February deadline for scoring guard Jordan Crawford. Before Collins came out in SI as the first openly gay male athlete in a major American league, Rivers had referred to him as "one of the best guys" that Rivers had ever been around in the NBA.

"He is terrific," said Rivers on Monday. "Losing him was hard for me because I just thought he was such a great teammate and such a great guy in the locker room. That's what you want is those guys in your locker room.

"He just was honest. He was an honest teammate. He worked hard. He did anything you asked him to do. He accepted his role."

Collins averaged only 10.3 minutes per game for the Celtics, and yet the 7-foot center served as a constructive example for the rest of the team.
"He didn't play all the time, but when he did play he was ready," said Rivers. "What I was impressed with was how much he prepared. There are a lot of players who are not playing and then when you need them, they're not ready to play because they don't prepare. You could bring Jason Collins in at any point in the game, and he has studied the opposing team's scouting report like he thought he was going to be playing 40 minutes that night. And he did it that way every time.

"It actually became something the players talked about. I remember one time in a timeout, I asked the question of Jason -- 'You know you have to do this' on a certain play, and he said, 'Yeah, I know.' And in the huddle [Rajon] Rondo said, 'Don't ever question Jason Collins -- if anybody knows the other team's stuff, it's Jason Collins.' And the other guys started laughing. It was really cool, the sign of the fact that he was so prepared and everyone knew it."

Throughout his 13 seasons as an NBA player and 14 seasons as a head coach, Rivers said he never worried about whether there were gay players on his teams.
"I never thought it was going to be an issue," he said. "I thought it would eventually happen, and people would talk about it for awhile, and then it would go away. I'm really proud of Jason. He still can play. He'll be active in our league, I hope, and we can get by this -- get past this. I think it would be terrific for the league. More than anything, it would just be terrific for mankind, my gosh."

Rivers predicted that Collins, 34, will be able to overcome the obstacles he may face next season. After all, he is not the first pioneer in pro sports.

"After watching the movie about Jackie Robinson you learn that there were some teammates who didn't want Jackie, then they kind of learned to understand he was good; and then no one cared," said Rivers. "But more important, what you learn from that movie, 42, it wasn't his teammates as much as I thought it was -- it was the fans. So I don't think this will be a teammate thing. I think eventually it will be a thing where fans will learn to be more tolerant.

"Then it will go away. You rarely hear any racial slurring in the crowd anymore, but you did -- you used to when Jackie first played. But it went away. I think it will be the same in this case."

Rivers hoped that Collins' revelation would begin to bring an end to questions of sexuality in sports.

"I never gave it a thought, I could care less," said Rivers. "Every once in awhile you would hear about it from a player or a coach, but listen to me -- I was brought up better than that. I don't care. It never registered. I could care less. Why do so many people care? It's no one's business what you do. I've always felt that way and I've always had a strong belief about that -- that it's your preference, and so what? You can like who you choose to like, and you can love who you choose to love. That's the way it should be. The thing that should be celebrated is that two people love each other, and that's a good thing."
Rivers acknowledged the months ahead may not be easy for Collins. In the bigger picture, however, he saw this announcement as a good thing for his former player.

"It's funny, in some ways I'm happy for Jason," said Rivers. "I can't imagine trying to be something, and then try to be something else. I'm happy for him."

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nba/news/20130429/jason-collins-gay-boston-celtics/#ixzz2RsrjEIQg

If only he got "I could care less" right.

He is a sports reporter on a sports network. Nobody cares about his religious beliefs, especially not when you are trying to use them as a front for your ignorance.

They are talking about homosexuality. If you're going to use that logic, the whole sports network shouldn't talk about this since it isn't related to sports.

I don't think that is often the case. If you believe God is going to deliver you eternal salvation and are willing to believe all sorts of absurdities that religion tells, I don't see what is so hard to believe a religious person simply accepts that homosexuality is bad because God said so.

They are talking about homosexuality. If you're going to use that logic, the whole sports network shouldn't talk about this since it isn't related to sports.

The fact that an active professinoal player came out and is openly gay is very much a sports story. Whether or not Broussard "agrees" with it, or whether God does or doesn't allow him to grace Jason Collins with approval of his lifestyle, is completely irrelevant.

Nothing's going to happen to Broussard. Lebron won't let ESPN do anything about it. It will disappear just like his mother on a crazy weekend with Delonte West.

Top Bottom