• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 NBA Playoffs |OT| Lakers started from the bottom, and they still there

Vahagn

Sandusky took showers with little boys. Yeah, I think it's fair to take issue with showering amongst pedophiles.

Your comparison is ridiculous in each case. Collins has been showering with these men for years. To just be all "well, now that I know he is gay I will wait for him to shower first" makes him an idiot.

Jason Collins is a journeyman NBA player whose next team, if any, will likely have several players he's never played with. It would be a little weird for someone to have showered with Collins for years to all of a sudden tomorrow say "No man, you go ahead, I'll wait"

But some new player who doesn't know him? That would be more understandable I think.

cdyhybrid

Jason Collins is a journeyman NBA player whose next team, if any, will likely have several players he's never played with. It would be a little weird for someone to have showered with Collins for years to all of a sudden tomorrow say "No man, you go ahead, I'll wait"

But some new player who doesn't know him? That would be more understandable I think.

Collins isn't the only gay player in the league. There's probably a good chance that your average NBA player has already been in the same locker room as a gay player.

Branduil

...the Celtics? What?

i8Ae4o4LRyCih.jpg

i3tCNkbBQYq4P.jpg

They're obviously not exactly the same, but they both use the same monochrome type of color scheme with clean lettering and radial arching on the team name on the front of the jersey. The point is, Brooklyn was going for a "classic" look which implies the team has been in Brooklyn all along.

So you haven't exactly stated what you believe should be done. Lets say an NBA player comes out and says he doesn't feel comfortable having to shower with Collins. That he thinks Collins should shower separately. What is your response? What should be done in such a situation?

LuchaShaq

Banned

Understandable that they are idiots.

If they want to inconvenience themselves for no reason it's their problem not his.

I'm straight and would have no qualms showering in the same place as Jason Collins. He is gay, he isn't a rapist.

Sanjuro

They're obviously not exactly the same, but they both use the same monochrome type of color scheme with clean lettering and radial arching on the team name on the front of the jersey. The point is, Brooklyn was going for a "classic" look which implies the team has been in Brooklyn all along.

...you do know that is a black and white photograph?

Vag is gonna fail the gmat so hard if he's comparing Jason Collins' situation to women showering with heterosexual men or young men showering with Sandusky. Like...the fuck.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Vag is gonna fail the gmat so hard if he's comparing Jason Collins' situation to women showering with heterosexual men or young men showering with Sandusky. Like...the fuck.

Dude. He defended Chris Broussard. That's even worse.

He literally said Chris Broussard isn't a homophobe because he has gay friends.

Am I the only person who think Jason Collins coming out is actually bad? He wasn't seen as a great player. Also at 7 ft he was seen as a soft player. While yes there are many straight players who are seen the same way, it unfortunately gives people an excuse to hold it against them. People who come out will automatically be seen as soft, and will have a harder time in the NBA.

I can see many teams not wanting to shower with Collins. It means you are fucked at the center position.

kLVxJ.gif

Am I the only person who think Jason Collins coming out is actually bad? He wasn't seen as a great player. Also at 7 ft he was seen as a soft player. While yes there are many straight players who are seen the same way, it unfortunately gives people an excuse to hold it against them. People who come out will automatically be seen as soft, and will have a harder time in the NBA.

No.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes

Huh? Jason's reputation around the league is that he's tough as nails and a great lockerroom guy.

Still an idiot.

So fucking what? If you're fine with showering with 13 straight men at the same time, you should be fine with 13 straight men plus 1 gay man. If you're not, something is wrong with you.

Huh? Jason's reputation around the league is that he's tough as nails and a great lockerroom guy.

Yeah, wtf @ that. One thing Collins wasn't was soft.

Vahagn

So you haven't exactly stated what you believe should be done. Lets say an NBA player comes out and says he doesn't feel comfortable having to shower with Collins. That he thinks Collins should shower separately. What is your response? What should be done in such a situation?

My point is I understand if anyone for any reason doesn't wanna be naked in front of anyone else. Basketball locker rooms ain't prison, u don't have to get naked. I would think, in any NBA locker room, the majority wouldn't mind a gay player showering with them. So if the majority don't mind, and one player does, it's on that one player to shower separately rather than make Jason shower separately.

But I would understand where he's coming frm and not call him stupid or a bigot. Now if he didn't wanna be on the same team, or Any other activity - that would be a problem. You have a job to do, u can do it. But you don't have to be naked in front of anyone u don't want to - that's a pretty important right

My point is I understand if anyone for any reason doesn't wanna be naked in front of anyone else. Basketball locker rooms ain't prison, u don't have to get naked. I would think, in any NBA locker room, the majority wouldn't mind a gay player showering with them. So if the majority don't mind, and one player does, it's on that one player to shower separately rather than make Jason shower separately.

But I would understand where he's coming frm and not call him stupid or a bigot. Now if he didn't wanna be on the same team, or Any other activity - that would be a problem. You have a job to do, u can do it. But you don't have to be naked in front of anyone u don't want to - that's a pretty important right

What if five players mind? What then?

Sanjuro

I know the Celtics wore green, yes. But to be honest I bet part of the reasoning behind the Nets choosing black and white was that it looks like old b&w NBA photographs.

You might be on to something...

FUCK YOU BROOKLYN! They stole the Celtics' Geno! Have they been doing that all season?

Vahagn

Dude. He defended Chris Broussard. That's even worse.

He literally said Chris Broussard isn't a homophobe because he has gay friends.

I defended his right to free speech, freedom of religion and freedom of the press.

And someone can be misinformed, or blindly following a misled religion, and not be a bigot.

You're not able to differentiate between the two, that's not my fault.

I defended his right to free speech, freedom of religion and freedom of the press.

And someone can be misinformed, or blindly following a misled religion, and not be a bigot.

Nobody is saying he should be arrested for what he said. Freedom of speech and religion are completely irrelevant. If ESPN fires him they are not violating any of his rights.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Drunk taj should go home for missing that layup, and vag should go home for being wrong.
"Hey, I coulda made that if I didn't have to run to the store and *hiccup* look for something. You don't *hiccup* know me, buddy. I coudlajdahdjnbnne and then nshskhahd all day rararararararara. Tajjy hungry." -Taj Gibson

He's a grown ass man who is an employee for ESPN/ABC. He doesn't have the excuse of being misinformed. And if you blindly follow a misled religion, guess what, you're still a bigot. The only difference is you believe God told you to be a bigot.

PBY

Banned
He's a grown ass man who is an employee for ESPN/ABC. He doesn't have the excuse of being misinformed. And if you blindly follow a misled religion, guess what, you're still a bigot.

Pretty much. He can say whatever he wants, but his employer should be able to take action if he publicly speaks out in a way that they don't approve of.

I never saw him as tough. To each his own then, but I think for this to have a bigger impact we would need a marquee player coming out. As of right now this is nothing more than a blip on the radar unless the media and LGBT associations push this.

Vahagn

Nobody is saying he should be arrested for what he said. Freedom of speech and religion are completely irrelevant. If ESPN fires him they are not violating any of his rights.

Yea he can get fired and probably will. There are Christians who believe homosexuality is a sin because their religion teaches that and they're misinformed, but that doesn't make them bigots.

Christians think not be Christian is a sin. By being anything other than Christian they're going to burn in hell, gay or straight. That's a fundamental hallmark of Christian theology. That doesn't mean all Christians are bigots towards all non-Christians.

There are definitely bigoted Christians, but the very act of accepting the theology of the church doesn't make you a bigot.

PBY

Banned
Yea he can get fired and probably will. There are Christians who believe homosexuality is a sin because their religion teaches that and they're misinformed, but that doesn't make them bigots.

Christians think not be Christian is a sin. By being anything other than Christian they're going to burn in hell, gay or straight. That's a fundamental hallmark of Christian theology. That doesn't mean all Christians are bigots towards all non-Christians.

There are definitely bigoted Christians, but the very act of accepting the theology of the church doesn't make you a bigot.

Tell us more bout dat GMAT- howd it go? And are you taking it while still in undergrad?

Top Bottom