• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2013 NBA Playoffs |OT| Lakers started from the bottom, and they still there

Move them for what? More bad contracts?

They can easily move them for filler. Especially to teams that have really cheap owners.

San Antonio will likely murder Golden State. They don't have anyone that can guard Duncan. I think the Spurs backcourt can make Curry and Thompson work hard, particularly because they have people like Leonard that specialize on defense.

Branduil

They can easily move them for filler. Especially to teams that have really cheap owners.

San Antonio will likely murder Golden State. They don't have anyone that can guard Duncan. I think the Spurs backcourt can make Curry and Thompson work hard, particularly because they have people like Leonard that specialize on defense.

Why would someone take Biedrins and Jefferson for filler? There has to be some kind of incentive in a trade.

And Bogut can guard Duncan. Golden State's going to get killed because their guards can't handle a press.

Why would someone take Biedrins and Jefferson for filler? There has to be some kind of incentive in a trade.

And Bogut can guard Duncan. Golden State's going to get killed because their guards can't handle a press.

No there doesn't. Owners take on expiring contracts all the time to shed payroll. In the end, there's a ton of savings for them.

giri

No there doesn't. Owners take on expiring contracts all the time to shed payroll. In the end, there's a ton of savings for them.

an expiring alone doesn't usually get it done these days, particularly when so many teams have been trying very hard to get under the cap already.

pilonv1

Shame GS still paid 20m for Jefferson and Biedrins next year, ruin their chance to have really good team till 2015.

If they didn't take Jefferson they didn't get Ezili, and probably not Green. And they'd have JAX's stupidity so it's worth it.

And Biedrins was averaging a double double at over 55% when they gave him his deal. Similar numbers to Bynum at the time.

numble

The incentive is to shed salary. A $10 million contract at the trade deadline means you only pay ~$2 million (2 more months of salary) and you could have gotten rid of contracts that cost more. Even if it was for another $10 million/year player that had another year left, that could save $35 million when luxury tax is taken into account. Paying $2 million to save $35 million is tempting.

numble

But that's the point. If the other teams are shedding payroll, Golden State would be taking on payroll. Bad contracts aren't "filler."

You could trade a expiring $10 million/year guy for another $10 million/year guy, expiring next year, it's not a waste, Golden State wouldn't be taking on a bad contract.

Here's a trade that works:
Richard Jefferson or Biedrins (expiring) for DeAndre Jordan (1 year left)
If Donald Sterling is projected to be over the cap in 2014/2015, he could save up to ~$37 million.
If he is already under the cap, or he wants to get really under the cap to chase LeBron to match up with Chris Paul, he sheds $11 million from his salary.

But what quality players will be available that have longer term deals?

Expirings aren't what they used to be in terms of value under the current CBA.

Look at what Calderon got and he's better than Jefferson. It got them Gay, a terrible contract and cost them Ed Davis too.

Atlanta traded a bunch of expiring for Joe Johnson, possibly the worst contract.

Yeah, can they ship Jefferson out? Probably. If it nets them Gerald Wallace, why bother? Maybe Nene?

Branduil

You could trade a expiring $10 million/year guy for another $10 million/year guy, expiring next year, it's not a waste, Golden State wouldn't be taking on a bad contract.

Here's a trade that works:
Richard Jefferson or Biedrins (expiring) for DeAndre Jordan (1 year left)
If Donald Sterling is projected to be over the cap in 2014/2015, he could save up to ~$37 million.
If he is already under the cap, or he wants to get really under the cap to chase LeBron to match up with Chris Paul, he sheds $11 million from his salary.

I'm not seeing the part where this makes Golden State substantially better though, which was the original point of this whole conversation.

You have to use the expiring to get a high quality player, but for that to happen the franchise needs to want to part with that player.

What such player will be available this offseason through trade deadline other than Pau and Granger? And Granger is a bad move given they have Barnes (and Pau is an expiring anyway and Lakers won't do that deal)

Truth is, if the Warriors want to improve going forward, they'll have to part with Klay IMO, but is that a move they're willing to make?

Fjordson

I think Bogut can guard Duncan.

I say Spurs win the series, but I think we can win at home. Maybe not both, but at least one.

numble

I'm not seeing the part where this makes Golden State substantially better though, which was the original point of this whole conversation.

They've always wanted DeAndre Jordan--and he wants to go there too, he even signed with them when he was a restricted FA.

But what quality players will be available that have longer term deals?

Expirings aren't what they used to be in terms of value under the current CBA.

Look at what Calderon got and he's better than Jefferson. It got them Gay, a terrible contract and cost them Ed Davis too.

Atlanta traded a bunch of expiring for Joe Johnson, possibly the worst contract.

Yeah, can they ship Jefferson out? Probably. If it nets them Gerald Wallace, why bother? Maybe Nene?

I think expirings can be worth a lot more under the new luxury tax regime. Shedding future salary is much more financially attractive than in the past, when it was just a dollar for dollar tax. The tax can cost you $52.5 million for a $10 million contract, if you are a repeat high-level offender.

Nelo Ice

Banned
You have to use the expiring to get a high quality player, but for that to happen the franchise needs to want to part with that player.

What such player will be available this offseason through trade deadline other than Pau and Granger? And Granger is a bad move given they have Barnes (and Pau is an expiring anyway and Lakers won't do that deal)

Truth is, if the Warriors want to improve going forward, they'll have to part with Klay IMO, but is that a move they're willing to make?

I think they would have traded Klay for Harden but not amnestying Biedrins and offering DeAndre Jordan that contract fucked it up since OKC wouldn't take back Biedrins or Jefferson.

I think expirings can be worth a lot more under the new luxury tax regime. Shedding future salary is much more financially attractive than in the past, when it was just a dollar for dollar tax. The tax can cost you $52.5 million for a $10 million contract, if you are a repeat high-level offender.

Expirings matter less because contracts are becoming shorter and smaller. Plus there are new owners around the NBA that aren't as penny-pinching.

Have to realize that most of these teams are just over the cap and not in the LT to begin with and the teams that want to shed salary and get under the tax have crappy contracts like Joe Johnson and gerald Wallace.

The Kwame for Pau was a very unique move because Pau wanted out and Memphis wanted to get really cheap. But soon every team must be what, 90-95% of the cap anyway, so they can't get super cheap.

It is counter-intuitive because you're looking at the LT issue. But the new CBA reduced contract sizes while also closing the variance in payrolls (lakers notwithstanding) among teams. Basically, all but a few big city markets and penny-pinchers are going to be between 60-70 million in salaries, leaving little value for expiring.

And who is going to trade good talent for an expiring? If anything, the James Harden fiasco is a lesson to teams thinking about trading away talent while the Gay issue shows how stupid it is to trade expirings for any available max contract.

numble

Expirings matter less because contracts are becoming shorter and smaller. Plus there are new owners around the NBA that aren't as penny-pinching.

Have to realize that most of these teams are just over the cap and not in the LT to begin with and the teams that want to shed salary and get under the tax have crappy contracts like Joe Johnson and gerald Wallace.

The Kwame for Pau was a very unique move because Pau wanted out and Memphis wanted to get really cheap. But soon every team must be what, 90-95% of the cap anyway, so they can't get super cheap.

It is counter-intuitive because you're looking at the LT issue. But the new CBA reduced contract sizes while also closing the variance in payrolls (lakers notwithstanding) among teams. Basically, all but a few big city markets and penny-pinchers are going to be between 60-70 million in salaries, leaving little value for expiring.

And who is going to trade good talent for an expiring? If anything, the James Harden fiasco is a lesson to teams thinking about trading away talent while the Gay issue shows how stupid it is to trade expirings for any available max contract.

There still will be a significant number of teams over the cap, a significant number of players that demand trades, and a significant number of teams wanting to drop their next year salary in pursuit of a FA or reduce salary cap issues to resign key players, making expiring contracts attractive.

Fjordson

Ah, forgot about that. I remember he got two fouls in like half a minute at one point.

Still, 16 and 10 in 24 minutes while shooting 50% from the field is solid for a rookie in the playoffs. Him and Barnes are producing nicely lately.

giri

i think numble, you have to think more about it in this terms, for 10m for expirings GS are going to have to give up something with that, in any trade, that is serviceable, but be expecting something in return that is an upgrade. a definitive upgrade, at that spot.

GS starters
Bogut
Lee
barnes
klay
curry

Reserves
Ezeli
Landry
Green
Rush
Jack

I could maybe see something like Bogut & Bierdrins for Noah & Taj because Noah is on contract longer than Bogut... but... EH. I'd rather play out the season with a healthy bogut and see where that lands you. If bogut can ever be healthy.

bierdrins and jefferson for pau, then decline bierdrins team option. Except that the lakers can't take back extra players in any trades, i believe, being so far into the LT.

derrick williams and ridnour for rush & green see as how jack isn't signed for next year.

if they could get eric gordon from NO for their expirings.. maybe. But they've been offered a lot more and turned it down, so unlikely. It would have to be a package like klay + rush + expirings. And why risk that on EG's health?

If OKC want to admit they fucked up, they could probably get ibaka. But would he start over Lee? Eh....

Thad young may want out of the 76ers.. but i think they intend to keep him for the most part. they would probably have to give up too much actual talent to go along with expirings to get him. For a backup role that's already covered.

An interesting player they may be able to get is LMA out of portland if he's asked for a trade internally. But... thats unlikely.

And the only really big contract on the wiz is nene and i don't see them parting with him any time soon.

There isn't really a lot out there for the warriors to use their expirings on.

jjasper

Why there's 4 game tomorrow and only one at sunday, wth with this scheduling.

Because the first round ends on Sunday and only 1 series has a game 7 as of now. If the Thunder, Grizz, ATL, or NY lose Saturday is a travel day and there will be more games on Sunday.

Shame GS still paid 20m for Jefferson and Biedrins next year, ruin their chance to have really good team till 2015.

they need to extend Klay next year and Barnes in '15, cause those guys are potential all stars, especially Thompson who is turning into a really good perimeter defender.

Jackson should put Klay on Parker, Thompson has the length and foot speed to bother Parker, like Sefolosha did last year. Bogut can guard Duncan. SA's big matchup advantage is ginobili, I can see him wrecking havoc.

giri

they need to extend Klay next year and Barnes in '15, cause those guys are potential all stars, especially Thompson who is turning into a really good perimeter defender.

Jackson should put Klay on Parker, Thompson has the length and foot speed to bother Parker, like Sefolosha did last year. Bogut can guard Duncan. SA's big matchup advantage is ginobili, I can see him wrecking havoc.

huh? barnes/green/jack can stick with ginobli.

it will be a series of pure execution, and poise.

in that regard, i see SA with the advantage.

Fjordson

I'm worried about the Duncan/Parker pick & roll. Bogut was great last night overall, but he was sagging off big time when Lawson was coming off picks. Parker could have a field day on us with that.

Edit: is Splitter good to go for game 1? He could also give us problems if healthy since Bogut will have to stick with Duncan.

Fjordson

Some great games tonight, just wish the Grizz/Clips game wasn't on at the same time as Houston/OKC.

Hoping for Marc and Z-Bo to take out the Clips and for Asik to own the Thunder again and force game 7.

Top Bottom