• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: 2013 StarGAF Open

Ketch

The NeoGAF StarCraft 2 community is hosting the greatest community tournament of all time :// The 2013 StarGAF Open! Players will face each other in the ultimate test of true video game skill: StarCraft 2: Heart of the Swarm. This epic tournament will take place over the course of multiple weeks in effort to crown, once and for all, the best gamer on NeoGAF.

#1 Grand prize is a sick ass tag granted by EviLore himself!

Official Brackets

Players by Race
KCZqw4Q.png

Rules:
  • All games until the finals will be Best of 3, finals will be Best of 5.
  • All players are responsible for scheduling their own matches, and all games must be finished by the round deadline. If a winner is not determined by the round deadline, either the most active or the higher tournament seeded player will move on in the bracket (decided on by the tournament adjutants).
  • The match winner is responsible for posting match results in this thread by the round deadline. Feel free to include replays or analysis in your post.
  • If opponents are from separate regions, the game server will be determined by the player lower on the official SC2 ladder as determined by SC2ranks.com. Ladder ranks and tournament seeds will be posted to the official tournament page once registration is finalized.
  • Switching races is allowed between games/matches.
  • Trash talk is allowed, and even encouraged! but players MUST refrain from personal insults and oblige to GAF ToS.
  • Any issues with other players or anything else regarding the tournament should be brought to the attention of the tournament adjutants via private message as soon as possible

Tournament dates and times (all times are Pacific DST, UTC -7):
Deadline for Standard Registration (Closed)/Matches begin! - 8 pm, 22 May 2013
Deadline for Round 1 - 8 pm, 26 May 2013 (Completed!)
Deadline for Round 2 Winners Bracket / Round 1 Losers Bracket (Completed!)
Deadline for Round 3 Winners Bracket / Round 2 Losers Bracket - 8pm, 7 June 2013
Winners Bracket Semifinals / Losers Bracket Round 3 - 8pm, 9 June 2013
Loser's Bracket Semifinals - 8pm, 14 June 2013
Finals! - 15 June! Exact times TBD!

Map Pool:
  • Akilon Wastes
  • Cloud Kingdom
  • Daybreak
  • Bel'Shir Vestige
  • Icarus
  • Neo Planet S
  • Whirlwind

Veto Procedure (Best of 3):
  • Each player vetoes two maps, the higher ladder ranked player (posted below) vetoes first.
  • The lower ladder ranked player then gets to choose which one of the remaining maps will be played first.
  • The loser of each game gets to pick the next map.

Veto Procedure (Best of 5):
  • Each player vetoes one map, the higher ladder ranked player vetoes first.
  • Lower ladder ranked player then gets to choose which one of the remaining maps will be played first.
  • The loser of each game gets to pick the next map.

Offical StarGAF Ladder Rank:
  1. Shake
  2. Striek
  3. FluxWaveZ
  4. Qikz (StayDead)
  5. COOLIO
  6. EscapingJail
  7. Xenien (Zen)
  8. Wunder
  9. Paches
  10. Sonyx
  11. DerZuhälter
  12. ChaosJoe (Crimsonlink)
  13. Oldern (V_Arnold)
  14. Corran
  15. Ketch
  16. Profit
  17. Renlya
  18. Dragoonhunte (Suberzat)

Tournament Seed:
  1. Sonyx
  2. EscapingJail
  3. Profit
  4. ChaosJoe (Crimsonlink)
  5. DerZuhälter
  6. Wunder
  7. Renlya
  8. FluxWaveZ
  9. Qikz (StayDead)
  10. Coolio
  11. Zen (Xenien)
  12. Striek
  13. Corran Horn
  14. Paches
  15. Suberzat (Dragoonhunte)
  16. xmShake
  17. Oldern (V_Arnold)
  18. Ketch

Live events/Replay casting:
If you would like to allow spectators, or have your games casted please contact the Tournament Adjutants with the date/time you and your opponent have agreed upon. Of course, we cannot guarantee that all requested games will be live streamed or casted, but we'll do as many as we can. The final four matches will all be scheduled ahead of time and live streamed, for maximum community involvement.

Tournament Adjutants:
Ketch
Profit
Son1x

We could always use some additional volunteers so let us know if you want to help.

Resources:
Old thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=526182
NeoGAF SC2 Community thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=519039
Official StarGAF Open tournament page: http://challonge.com/StarGAF
Tournament SC2ranks: http://www.sc2ranks.com/c/14180/neogaf-2013-hots-tournament/
Official StarCraft Website: http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/

Ketch

Early registration has been completed, and I updated the brackets 2013 StarGAF Open. Here are the randomly generated seeds for the players who registered early:

1 - Sonix
2 - Escaping Jail
3 - Profit
4 - ChaosJoe
5 - DerZuhalter
6 - Wunder
7 - Renlya
8 - FluxWaveZ
9 - Qikz
10 - Coolio

Standard registration will be open until Wednesday 22 May at 8 pm pacific. When standard registration is finished, I'll generate random seeds for the rest of the players and they will be added to the brackets starting at the 11th seed. (Hope that makes sense)

Ketch

I got seeded against EJ? Oh god, shortest tournament run ever :(

I'm not 100% sure, but the match ups should change when the players from standard registration are added.

Also, it's double elimination! shortest tournament ever? or most epic comeback? You decide.

FluxWaveZ

Could you include some more time zones in the OP? It'd be easier for people (at least for me) to refer to without having to convert times all the time.

Ketch

Could you include some more time zones in the OP? It'd be easier for people (at least for me) to refer to without having to convert times all the time.

All the deadlines will be at 8 pm pacific, so you only need to convert it once. 8 pm pacific is 11 pm eastern I think

Ketch

Map pool has been added to the OP btw. check it out!

we're still working out the map picking/veto process right now, anybody have suggestions?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
[*]Trash talk is allowed, and even encouraged! but players MUST refrain from personal insults and oblige to GAF ToS.
:O! Done.

Son1x

Will racepicking be allowed?

I'll be playing random, but I'd (if possible) pick my race on certain maps/matchups.

Ketch

How about the adjudants?!

ehhh... I don't think so.

But maybe if we're the only ones in the tournament?!? OOPS! I think I just lost all the registration info except for Profit's, Son1x's, and mine.

What do you think the tag should say? "Best Gamer on NeoGAF"

profit

ehhh... I don't think so.

But maybe if we're the only ones in the tournament?!? OOPS! I think I just lost all the registration info except for Profit's, Son1x's, and mine.

What do you think the tag should say? "Best Gamer on NeoGAF"

I was thinking more race related:

Terran player: Commander
Protoss player: Executor
Zerg player: Overmind/Broodking/Broodlord

Ketch

Remember only 4 more days to register. We've hot 13 players total right now. PM me if you want to sign up

Ketch

Also, I don't think the brackets are representative of what the final brackets will be.

First seed should be playing against the last seed right?

I'll probably just have to remove and re add the list of seeded players for it to work properly.

Mumei

I'm not really interested in participating but I am looking forward to catching streams and possibly replays!

Ketch

Only if brackets are "full". So either 8, 16, 32 etc.

Yea, if it's an un even bracket then some people will be start in the second round or whatever, but the brackets right now have got player 12 vs player 13 and player 14 vs player 15. It shouldn't be that way right? Shouldn't it be something like player 3 vs player 12?

I think it's just a little messed up because I added the first 10 players and then added more as we got more people registered. So it might be like: "well here's the first 5 match ups, and those are set in stone no matter how many people you add". Which isn't the way I think it should be.

The first 10 seeds are already decided, but when I add 11-15 I want it to re-determine the match ups considering the full list of players.

It should be an easy fix though, I have the list of everybody and their seeds (if they've already been determined), so I just need to remove everyone and then re-add the whole list at once.

TL;DR: The posted brackets/match ups are subject to change once registration is finalized.

edit: or I don't know... I guess the whole backet is like that. EJ is 2nd seed, and profit is 3rd seed and they're playing each other. I guess it really doesn't matter since it's random seed and not based on skill. Here I am taking a chill pill.

edit 2: If we don't get another player by the end of the day (to make it an even 16) then I'll play in the tournament as well. /conflict of interest.

Son1x

Yea, if it's an un even bracket then some people will be start in the second round or whatever, but the brackets right now have got player 12 vs player 13 and player 14 vs player 15. It shouldn't be that way right? Shouldn't it be something like player 3 vs player 12?

I think it's just a little messed up because I added the first 10 players and then added more as we got more people registered. So it might be like: "well here's the first 5 match ups, and those are set in stone no matter how many people you add". Which isn't the way I think it should be.

The first 10 seeds are already decided, but when I add 11-15 I want it to re-determine the match ups considering the full list of players.

It should be an easy fix though, I have the list of everybody and their seeds (if they've already been determined), so I just need to remove everyone and then re-add the whole list at once.

TL;DR: The posted brackets/match ups are subject to change once registration is finalized.

edit: or I don't know... I guess the whole backet is like that. EJ is 2nd seed, and profit is 3rd seed and they're playing each other. I guess it really doesn't matter since it's random seed and not based on skill. Here I am taking a chill pill.

edit 2: If we don't get another player by the end of the day (to make it an even 16) then I'll play in the tournament as well. /conflict of interest.

You have to set the seeding rule on the "Edit Settings" page at the bottom. At the moment there is no seeding, just numbering.

Ketch

uhhh why am I not in the bracket... again? XD
Don't worry Zen, I have your registration. I just haven't generated the random seeds for anyone who registered during this registration period. As soon as 8pm rolls around and registration closes, I'll generate random seeds and you'll take one of the placer holder spots (players 11-16 at the moment).

Ketch

Registration is CLOSED! Tournament has begun!

OP Updated:
Tournament Seeds have been determined
Brackets are finalized.
Ladder Rank for the tournament has been finalized and posted

Deadline for Round 1 games is: This Sunday, 26 May 2013 by 8pm Pacific
Deadline for Round 2 games is: Next Wednesday, 29 May 2013 by 8pm Pacific

If your opponent is posted in the bracket then go ahead and contact them, schedule, and play your games. Make sure you follow the map pool, veto procedures, and tournament rules. Remember to post your results!

You might also want to post the time you schedule your matches so fellow gaffers can show up and spectate!

Good luck everybody!

Ketch

I never said what race I was gonna play, matchup picking all up in this bitch~

That IS allowed, I should add it to the rules. SC2 Ranks has you listed as terran though, not sure if it makes a difference to anybody, but ladder rank determines who vetoes first in the map picking process.

Top Bottom