• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014-15 TV Cancellations: Under the Dome canned, what will CBS do with CG cows next?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slayven

There's a rumor on SpoilerTV that "Person of Interest" has been picked up for a fifth season, but the source (someone was told by a crew member during a set visit) seems kinda shady to me.

Ivy, have you heard anything? Or anyone else, for that matter?
Would be an ace move on CBS' part.....love that show :)

Not the most daring rumor, but quite a few procedurals have been given a 5th season just to get that syndicated number. POI would fit in perfectly on USA or CLOO

Oh wow. Allegiance was pulled only 5 episodes into its 13-episode order.

I feel for the production team. That one's gotta hurt.

Any word yet on Constantine or Man Seeking Woman?

Only two shows I care about that are up in the air at this point.

I really hope Constantine ends up pulling through. It's my favourite NBC show currently on the air.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Dateline: The Real Blacklist

Soon Dateline will be airing every day.

Well it's airing four days straight now (Thursdays through Sundays)

So NBC's weekly schedule is now:
  • Seven hours of Dateline
  • Six hours of The Voice
  • Four hours of original-run dramas
  • Four hours of drama repeats
  • Zero hours of comedies
Amazing schedule

Well it's airing four days straight now (Thursdays through Sundays)

So NBC's weekly schedule is now:
  • Seven hours of Dateline
  • Six hours of The Voice
  • Four hours of original-run dramas
  • Four hours of drama repeats
  • Zero hours of comedies
Amazing schedule

Huh, no wonder NBC went from my most watched network to just Grimm.

Allegiance cancelled? Noooo :(

What's going into the 8 pm timeslot?

How many allegiance eps were filmed? Hoping for a burn off airing.

Still want to see the the remaining episodes of mind games...
The remaining episodes of Mind Games aired internationally. I think you can find them if you look hard enough.

maxcriden

Dateline: The Real Blacklist

Soon Dateline will be airing every day.

Oh, I see. That is odd.

The remaining episodes of Mind Games aired internationally. I think you can find them if you look hard enough.

Oh, hmm. That is really good to know. :) Thanks!

Hmm. Damon, Eliza, and Adam haven't taken pilots.

No way. Did they turn them down? Ah...hmmmmmm. I don't want to believe it's really possible. If anything I'm thinking it'll be Netflix. I'm so skeptical it'll happen.

ivysaur12

Banned
I'm skeptical anything would happen, too. And there are still roles to be cast. But, like… they got offers. All of them. Where are they? And why?

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I'm surprised Cinemax hasn't been more aggressive with trying to procure more original programming - the current season of Banshee ends next week and Strike Back won't return until the summer, which means they won't have anything new to air for several months.

I understand that Cinemax makes more money when they outright own/directly license the shows they air (Banshee, The Knick), as opposed to their co-productions (Strike Back, Hunted), not to mention that everything can go to shit if one of the co-producers wants to renew and the other doesn't (RIP Hunted), but until they can buff up their roster with more internally developed fare, I wonder why they haven't gone ahead and tried to air more foreign mini/series that are on brand?

HBO does it all the time with the stuff from Chris Lilley and Ricky Gervias, not to mention things like Doll & Em and The Casual Vacancy. AMC is doing it with Humans and The Night Manager, SundanceTV with The Honorable Woman and The Returned, Starz with Dancing on the Edge and The White Queen, etc. etc.

Surely taking a chance on another foreign series and building up your brand would be a better option than having nothing but dead air for months on end?

I'm surprised Cinemax hasn't been more aggressive with trying to procure more original programming - the current season of Banshee ends next week and Strike Back won't return until the summer, which means they won't have anything new to air for several months.

I understand that Cinemax makes more money when they outright own/directly license the shows they air (Banshee, The Knick), as opposed to their co-productions (Strike Back, Hunted), not to mention that everything can go to shit if one of the co-producers wants to renew and the other doesn't (RIP Hunted), but until they can buff up their roster with more internally owned fare, I wonder why they haven't gone ahead and tried to air more foreign mini/series that are on brand?

HBO does it with the stuff from Chris Lilley and Ricky Gervias, not to mention things like Doll & Em and The Casual Vacancy. AMC is doing it with Humans and The Night Manager, SundanceTV with The Honorable Woman and The Returned, etc. etc.

Surely taking a chance on another foreign series would be a better option than having nothing but dead air for months on end?

I'm not going to pretend to know the intricacies of a Premium Channel's monetization but I mean is Cinemax really getting most of their subscription numbers from Original Programming or through being bundled with HBO by a lot of Providers + their whole softcore reputation (it is, afterall, referred to as Skinimax for a reason)?

I mean I enjoy Strike Back's crazy action (haven't seen the others but they're reputed around here as on par with Strike Back in terms of action) but are those shows really impacting subscription numbers for them?

Wiktor

I understand that Cinemax makes more money when they outright own/directly license the shows they air (Banshee, The Knick), as opposed to their co-productions (Strike Back, Hunted), not to mention that everything can go to shit if one of the co-producers wants to renew and the other doesn't (RIP Hunted), but until they can buff up their roster with more internally developed fare, I wonder why they haven't gone ahead and tried to air more foreign mini/series that are on brand?

HBO does it all the time with the stuff from Chris Lilley and Ricky Gervias, not to mention things like Doll & Em and The Casual Vacancy. AMC is doing it with Humans and The Night Manager, SundanceTV with The Honorable Woman and The Returned, Starz with Dancing on the Edge and The White Queen, etc. etc.

Surely taking a chance on another foreign series and building up your brand would be a better option than having nothing but dead air for months on end?
I think Hunted burned them, So now they want to own most of what they air. And they actually have been getting agressive lately.

I mean..they have Quarry and that exorcist show from Kirkman ordered to series, they optioned John Rain and have couple more shows in development.
Looking at ratings, this is a very small channel. So I suspect it's not much more than good advertisement for those shows and they make money on streaming and selling the content internationally. So it makes sense to just focus on making your own stuff.

Pachimari

When I were a kid I watched a lot of Buffy randomly but it was only 3-4 years ago I seriously got into TV shows with The Vampire Diaries.

So currently I'm watching:

Arrow
The Flash
Agents of Shield
Empire
The Last Man On Earth
The Vampire Diaries
The Originals
Jane the Virgin

I have finished The Walking Dead S1, Agent Carter and is about to start up American Crime and Broad City.

Is there anything else I might have missed that is currently airing? I'm keeping an eye on Fresh off the Boat, CSI Cyber and The 100.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I'm not going to pretend to know the intricacies of a Premium Channel's monetization but I mean is Cinemax really getting most of their subscription numbers from Original Programming or through being bundled with HBO by a lot of Providers + their whole softcore reputation (it is, afterall, referred to as Skinimax for a reason)?

I mean I enjoy Strike Back's crazy action (haven't seen the others but they're reputed around here as on par with Strike Back in terms of action) but are those shows really impacting subscription numbers for them?

Ever since Cinemax started programming original dramas, they've seen a lot of growth with their subscription base.

I think Hunted burned them, So now they want to own most of what they air. And they actually have been getting agressive lately.

Lately, sure. This year they've given out two series orders (Outcast and Quarry), but before those, their last series order was for The Knick way back in summer of 2013 - but why nothing in 2014? Cinemax pls.

Looking at ratings, this is a very small channel. So I suspect it's not much more than good advertisement for those shows and they make money on streaming and selling the content internationally. So it makes sense to just focus on making your own stuff.

HBO's supposed goal is to build Cinemax up to be the #2 premium cable network(s) in the US, so it just surprises me that they're not being more aggressive about it. I get that Hunted burned them, but surely one small failure doesn't overshadow the great success that Strike Back has been for them.

Also, that risk is nonexistent if they just pursued miniseries like Starz, SundanceTV, et al.

I really wish we got more Hunted :(

Same.

It's absolutely adorable/sad that people are listing what they watch overall and it's less than I DVR on Sundays.

Television addiction is real.

Pachimari

Thanks!
I'm gonna give The Americans and The Wire a go as well.

I just watched 20 minutes of American Crime and the production values seem very high quality.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I never vote for things like that because I can't be bothered to rank shows in the first place. I do enjoy the effort others put into it though.

When I were a kid I watched a lot of Buffy randomly but it was only 3-4 years ago I seriously got into TV shows with The Vampire Diaries.

So currently I'm watching:

Arrow
The Flash
Agents of Shield
Empire
The Last Man On Earth
The Vampire Diaries
The Originals
Jane the Virgin

I have finished The Walking Dead S1, Agent Carter and is about to start up American Crime and Broad City.

Is there anything else I might have missed that is currently airing? I'm keeping an eye on Fresh off the Boat, CSI Cyber and The 100.

Stop what you're doing and start The 100 immediately.

And no Bob's Burgers? Or is that just a given?

Also Gotham is great

Pachimari

Stop what you're doing and start The 100 immediately.

And no Bob's Burgers? Or is that just a given?

Also Gotham is great

I already got Gotham but haven't started it yet.
I don't know what Bob's Burgers is, I'll look into it.
And I really liked of what I saw of The 100, so I already got the whole first season.

And started up Fresh off the Boat a few hours ago and it were an instant hit here in the house. Watched 5 episodes so far.

I already got Gotham but haven't started it yet.
I don't know what Bob's Burgers is, I'll look into it.
And I really liked of what I saw of The 100, so I already got the whole first season.

And started up Fresh off the Boat a few hours ago and it were an instant hit here in the house. Watched 5 episodes so far.

If you give Bob's Burgers a shot, just know that it takes awhile for the first season to warm up, but it's basically great after a certain point.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
It's hard to go back to CSI; a lot of the groundbreaking and interesting stuff about it is sort of passé now. But honestly I think it was pretty much the benchmark for procedural television for pretty much its first 4 or 5 seasons. Good tension at times, confident performances, interesting cases of the week, nice dark visual tone all around. I'm not sure I'd go back to watch it now, but at the time, good stuff.

I feel the same way about JAG.

Really old Law and Order is the same way. So is LA Law.

Wiktor

Lately, sure. This year they've given out two series orders (Outcast and Quarry), but before those, their last series order was for The Knick way back in summer of 2013 - but why nothing in 2014? Cinemax pls.

I think a lot of stuff didn't pan out. In 2012-2013 they announced lots and lots of shows. Like that Sandbox series. And all have fallen through. Something must have gone really wrong back then. Even Quarry got weird, because they filmed the pilot like two years ago.

Wiktor

I put it on and but sort of lost attention 10 or 15 minutes in. I'll go back to it because I like Jason Isaacs and I like the premise. Hope the geopolitics overshadows the looney tunes nonsense.

Loney tunes being bad? I mean...the previous show by Isaacs became great precisely when looney stuff started happening :D
Awake-%D4%C7%F4-1x06-1024x576.png

Pachimari

It's absolutely adorable/sad that people are listing what they watch overall and it's less than I DVR on Sundays.

Television addiction is real.
And here I thought I watched a lot of shows. My 10 shows are insane to me seeing how I went from The Vampire Diaries only.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom