• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014-15 TV Cancellations: Under the Dome canned, what will CBS do with CG cows next?

Status
Not open for further replies.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I put it on and but sort of lost attention 10 or 15 minutes in. I'll go back to it because I like Jason Isaacs and I like the premise. Hope the geopolitics overshadows the looney tunes nonsense.
Feinberg said it was worse than a Dan Brown novel, so I wouldn't have too many expectations.

It's absolutely adorable/sad that people are listing what they watch overall and it's less than I DVR on Sundays.

Television addiction is real.

I'm a TV plebeian. The wife and I struggle to stay current on a handful of shows. For this year that will include Game of Thrones, Marco Polo, True Detective, Justified, Outlander, Broadchurch, and Daredevil. As in total. If Sherlock returns that will jump to the top of the list.

There might be one surprise addition, but those get offset when we abandon a different show. We just retired Gotham to the future Netflix queue, for example. The one thing in common with our TV viewing is an obvious preference for shorter seasons (10-13 episode). I can't be damned to keep up with 26 episodes of mostly filler. We only watch a few episodes a week, and tend to run through an entire season sequentially.

In fairness, I do watch quite a lot of sports and my wife loves HGTV, so I'm underestimating my total viewing a decent amount. I'm also slowly catching up on Breaking Bad.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I think a lot of stuff didn't pan out. In 2012-2013 they announced lots and lots of shows. Like that Sandbox series. And all have fallen through. Something must have gone really wrong back then. Even Quarry got weird, because they filmed the pilot like two years ago.

Which is why it surprises me that they didn't import any miniseries so they could maintain their momentum and to help reinforce their new branding. It surprises me that they let things stagnate this early in the game.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I work from home, but my attention is do divided during work that I can't enjoy television that requires focus. I'm actually surprised by how many shows I juggle now. Weekly I watch:

The Americans
Justified
Gotham (ready to drop this)
Flash
Arrow
Better Call Saul
The Walking Dead
The 100
Black Sails
Saturday Night Live

And I mostly keep up with Bob's Burgers and Family Guy...not even sure why on the latter.

Luckily my watch list is pretty nicely spread out. I usually only have 1 or 2 shows to watch when I get done with work. But now Bates Motel is coming back, going to make Mondays more crowded.

maxcriden

Weekly shows? Hmm....

Brooklyn 9-9
Better Call Saul (tentative)
Jane the Virgin
S.H.I.E.L.D. (and Carter when it was on)
Masterchef/Jr. when they're on
Flash
Person of Interest
Middle
Black-ish
Nashville
Top Chef when it's on
Slap!
Blacklist
Allegiance ;__;
American Crime (tentative)

Man, that's a bit less than I thought. We've watched like 23 J-dramas since August, though. We also watched TVD and The Originals but those we wait for the full season to air, then rewatch the entire series, then the new seasons. :)

Karu

My weekly shedule is probably on an alltime low.

The Good Wife
Shameless
Brooklyn Nine-Nine
New Girl
Marvel's Agents of SHIELD

And for whatever reason still after three episodes...
The Odd Couple

Though I fill the rest of my time with Netflix & stuff
The Sopranos (S4)
The West Wing (S3)
Parks & Recreation Rewatch (S2 & S3)

So... at the end of the day, I'm quite happy.

If we're all doing this...

In order of care most to care least

Sitcoms
Community
Bob's Burgers
Parks and Rec (I'm behind)
Galavant (RIP)
Brooklyn 9-9
Last Man on Earth (Could rise)
New Girl (I don't know why I bother)
Family Guy(I don't know why I bother)

Dramas
The 100
Gotham
Grimm
House of Cards (I'm on Season 2)
The Walking Dead (I'm starting season 5)
Sleepy Hollow (I don't know why I bother)
Once Upon a Time (I really don't know why I bother)
Jane the Virgin (I'm really behind)

Pachimari

I have literally just started up Season 1 Episode 1 of Game of Thrones. I have never seen this show before but all of the talk and cinema showings in USA have made me a little bit curious finding out what all the buzz is about.

I finished Episode 3 of The Last Man of Earth and really enjoyed it again. The woman is really annoying but I felt bad when I found out she had done so much for the wedding. And that new girl in town.. Oh yeah baby.

As for the discussion above. I have binge watched a lot myself but I also really prefer one episode a week instead of dumping them all at once.

As for the discussion above. I have binge watched a lot myself but I also really prefer one episode a week instead of dumping them all at once.

But why? Tradition? Lack of self control? Why not just watch one episode per week?

I don't understand how giving you complete control over how you watch a show could possibly be a negative. And that's coming from a guy who never binge watches.

I...I don't understand. What? Sarcasm?

How does giving you the choice to watch any episode whenver you please affect you in a negative way? Do you lack self control or something?

It kills the community.

Compare the House of Cards thread with The Walking Dead thread.

HoC is 500 people talking at nothing. Theres almost no conversation because it's a pain to go back and discuss.

IE: On Page 9, you might find the following posts

Ep3
Ep1
Ep9
Ep1
Ep12
Ep4
Ep4
Ep2
Ep5
Ep12

So say you just watched episode 5 and want to discuss something and see how other people discussed the episode.... you really cant.

Maybe youll read the first 10 pages in a thread and skip all the posts that talk about episodes past 5. Are you ever going back to read them? Of course not.

Then look at the Walking Dead. 5 pages of in-episode discussion, and then 10 pages of follow up and predictions. Rinse and repeat every week.

I think Netflix should try a compromise model.

15 episode season

Release 5 episodes at once one week
5 episodes at once the next week
And 5 episodes the final week.

Binge watchers still get to have fun, but theres breaks to allow for smooth conversation.

Even better: Netflix gets added press

Right now you get the following article:

HoC to release on xx!
HoC is a week away!
HoC is live!

Now imagine the proposed format

HoC to release on xx!
HoC part 1 is a week away!
HoC part 1 is live!
Predict what happens in part 2!
HoC part 2 is live!
The thrilling final part of season 3 is out tomorrow!
HoC part 3 is live!

More media exposure.

Pachimari

I can control myself. And I will love when the whole season of Daredevil comes out on April 10 and me and the girl can watch it over the weekend. But with some shows I just prefer the unified speculations and gossip online, and most of all the cohesive discussion threads here on GAF. At least I know we're all on the same page and watch it together. :)

And to me binge watching is not negative, I never incidsted that. It's just another option.

[edit]
Just as he said above.

I can control myself. And I will love when the whole season of Daredevil comes out on April 10 and me and the girl can watch it over the weekend. But with some shows I just prefer the unified speculations and gossip online, and most of all the cohesive discussion threads here on GAF. At least I know we're all on the same page and watch it together. :)

And to me binge watching is not negative, I never incidsted that. It's just another option.

Can you imagine if Lost was just dumped all at once?

How many pages were spent on speculation, digging into each episode, zooming into minor details...

That would have simply not been possible with a season dump because everybody watches at their own pace and nobody is on the same page.

I mean, for a show like Unbreakable Kimmy, who cares, it's a sitcom, theres very little discussion to be had. But a drama? Come on.

It kills the community.

Ah, I see. I guess I never consider the watercooler/community aspect any more, as my coworkers watch a zillion different shows and nobody is even close to being on the same sheet of music. I see the trend moving that way, where our usual TV conversations go, "Have you seen True Detective yet? Oh man, you have to watch it!" The binge model works fine for that.

The wife and I aren't social TV viewers and are typically well behind on shows, so I love the option to turn on Netflix and fire up a show at any pace I want to. If you are keeping up with weekly discussion, that makes sense. I'm so far behind on shows that I just avoid show specific threads altogether.

Link

The Autumn Wind
I finished Episode 3 of The Last Man of Earth and really enjoyed it again. The woman is really annoying but I felt bad when I found out she had done so much for the wedding. And that new girl in town.. Oh yeah baby.
I'm giving up on it. I liked the premise, but once Kristen Schaal's character showed up, it almost became a chore to watch. She's far too grating and I just don't enjoy the dynamic she brings.

I...I don't understand. What? Sarcasm?

How does giving you the choice to watch any episode whenver you please affect you in a negative way? Do you lack self control or something?
My issue with it is that unless you binge all the episodes right away, it's very easy to get spoiled. You can't even discuss the show with others until you're through.

Pachimari

So how do you anti-bingers discuss recently released books then?
I don't read.

But then again, I'm not an anti-binger. I just prefer the weekly episode to the dump them all on day one.

Actualkyy I'm trying to get back into reading books but I don't discuss them with anyone, like I do with TV shows.

My issue with it is that unless you binge all the episodes right away, it's very easy to get spoiled. You can't even discuss the show with others until you're through.

Yeah this is an issue in real life.

I rarely discuss TV shows, but if someone brings up "hey have you guys seen House of Cards" the IMMEDIATE response from someone will be "YES BUT IM ON EPISODE 2 DONT SAY ANYTHING"

End conversation.

Weekly Lost talk?

WHO IS SMOKE MONSTER? And everybody is on same page. If youre not, well its your fault because it aired last night bro.

.............who discusses books?

And if it's anything like the movies, people who do discuss books do so in an arranged fashion. IE, dont book clubs have everybody be at page 450 by the Tuesday so the discussion can happen?

Edit: I do remember discussing Harry Potter. Of course new seasons of that book series were 2-4 years apart... They werent all dumped the same day

I'd be cool with Netflix putting up an episode every three or four days.

I'm giving up on it. I liked the premise, but once Kristen Schaal's character showed up, it almost became a chore to watch. She's far too grating and I just don't enjoy the dynamic she brings.

I'll probably keep watching but I agree.

FoneBone

But why? Tradition? Lack of self control? Why not just watch one episode per week?

I don't understand how giving you complete control over how you watch a show could possibly be a negative. And that's coming from a guy who never binge watches.

There's a good (if slightly hyperbolic) AV Club piece about this from a few years back:

But I’ll still miss the idea of everybody watching everything together. With every new freedom comes a kind of loss, and sometimes, those can’t be quantified. We’ve been consuming content in serialized fashion for centuries now—people made weekly visits to theaters long before the novel was even a glint in Cervantes’ eye—and that habit will likely die hard. And maybe I’m being a stick-in-the-mud here, tied to a method of TV watching that was already in its death throes when I was a child. But when I can watch a great episode of TV with my watercooler—real or virtual—around me, that increases the value of it to me, increases the sense that I’m a part of something. Watching tweets about various pieces of House Of Cards fly around, with no real conversation taking place, because everybody’s watching at a different pace, I really miss that. Perhaps my children will find that attitude strange, but to me, that idea of a great, imagined audience, gathering in the dark for its favorite program… Well, that idea will die hard.

IMO having a whole season dumped on you at once makes working your way through it more intimidating (I mean, I never got around to finishing the first season of OITNB), but that's my personal psychology.

Wiktor

When they finish it? Books don't get discussed the way tv shows are. If there's big community for a series it's almost completely dedicated to trying to predict what will happen, while tv communities mostly discuss what has happened.

And yeah....I agree....dumping all eps at once kills the community aspect of the show. Of course, at the same time, I doubt most people are part of more than couple shows' communities. Binge'ing the rest wouldn't bother them.

Yeah, I think you guys are vastly overestimating the impact of a show's community because we post on a forum together. I still haven't finished Breaking Bad and missed the community train entirely, but that hasn't hampered my love for the show one bit.

I can only think of one show that people actively sit around and discuss at work, and that is The Walking Dead. Since I've seen exactly zero episodes of the show, I just avoid talking about it.

----

For the record, a ton of us discuss books on here all the time. There are probably as many active members in the "What Are You Reading?" thread than we have in here. People discuss everything, including the latest releases. They just use spoiler tags where appropriate.

beat

It kills the community.

Compare the House of Cards thread with The Walking Dead thread.

HoC is 500 people talking at nothing. Theres almost no conversation because it's a pain to go back and discuss.
This is partly a forum organization issue. Over on Previously.TV, where pretty much every show gets a sub-forum, every episode gets its own thread and discussing subsequent episodes is strongly discouraged. Works out well enough.

By the way, does this work as the general TV show thread?
Yes, pretty much.
This is partly a forum organization issue. Over on Previously.TV, where pretty much every show gets a sub-forum, every episode gets its own thread and discussing subsequent episodes is strongly discouraged. Works out well enough.
Yeah, I like their forum for tv shows. They also talk about pretty much every show on TV too.

Youre absolutely right. GAF is the only forum I visit, so my frame of reference was the way the threads here work or don't.

While I would guess that one thread per episode format does work much better, I'd be wary of assholes and spoilers.

Not just blatant stuff (voldermort dies), but things like

"Wow, I can't believe Bob was killed"
"Lol, just wait for episode 6!!!"

"Im so sad that gary broke up with mary"
"Episode 7 will make you happy :)"

People LOVE doing that shit.

Here at GAF, in the walking dead thread, half the posts are like this because the story follows the comics which people know. It can really suck sometimes.

So it would be nice for Netflix to break up their releases a little. Not one a week, but as I mentioned, maybe 5 episodes a week for 3 weeks. That way GAF can have three threads which make the discussion easier to follow.

beat

Youre absolutely right. GAF is the only forum I visit, so my frame of reference was the way the threads here work or don't.

While I would guess that one thread per episode format does work much better, I'd be wary of assholes and spoilers.

Not just blatant stuff (voldermort dies), but things like
Yeah, but P.TV has fairly strict moderation to cut down on stuff like that happening. It's not an unregulated free for all.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Veronica Belmont ‏@Veronica 7m7 minutes ago
YES!! AMC's 'Walking Dead' Prequel Lands Two-Season Order http://buff.ly/1wmgaqF #TheWalkingDead

so is this because TWD has such ridiculous ratings they just assume the spin off will at least be worth a second season off the bat?

FoneBone

so is this because TWD has such ridiculous ratings they just assume the spin off will at least be worth a second season off the bat?

It's about as safe a bet as it gets, even if the spinoff's ratings are significantly less than the original series.

Jigorath

Banned
Veronica Belmont ‏@Veronica 7m7 minutes ago
YES!! AMC's 'Walking Dead' Prequel Lands Two-Season Order http://buff.ly/1wmgaqF #TheWalkingDead

They did the same thing with Better Call Saul when they ordered a second season before it even premiered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom