• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014-15 TV Cancellations: Under the Dome canned, what will CBS do with CG cows next?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fuck that. SLIDERS.

I wonder who has the rights to Sliders these days. Would be pretend season four and five were alternate version of the original cast and the Professor
is alive after being stranded on another Earth while his double took his place and was the one who died
? And retcon the S5 bullshit fuckery?

TheOddOne

- Variety: ‘Castle': Will Nathan Fillion & Stana Katic Return for Season 8?
With “Castle” on the bubble, fans are anxiously awaiting a renewal. Variety has learned that the ABC drama has yet to be handed an eighth season — however, if it does return, Nathan Fillion is set to come back.

But what about Stana Katic?

A spokesperson for ABC tells Variety that while Fillion’s deal is done, Katic has yet to sign a new contract for a new season. Both leads’ existing contracts are up at the end of this season, which is still a solid performer for the network.
Fillion is locked.

Patryn

You say Constantine have a chance of a second season? Let's hope so!

No.

See also:

Because they have no intention of bringing the show back, and just because they have the courtesy to be in a meeting means shit when what they're saying behind closed doors between WB and NBC.

It's one thing to be a fan. Don't be that guy. She's the best in the business, and there's no reason to doubt Kate. She's VERY good, and for a reason.

EDIT: To quote someone in the know who I just sent that link to:

"[that article] makes me really uncomfortable. Oh no."

ezekial45

Banned
The second season of Turn: Washington's Spies premiered to 827K viewers and a 0.2 A19-49 rating on AMC last night.

Season one never dipped below one million viewers (premiere - 2.12 million 0.5. finale - 1.60 million 0.4), though last year the show aired on Sundays instead of Mondays.

Still, I'm surprised that AMC's strategy didn't even give the show a small boost. They changed the name of the show by adding the 'Washington's Spies' subtitle, aired repeats after Hell on Wheels, put the entire first season up on AMC .com/VoD, and, finally, on Netflix just a few weeks ago.

That the ratings would go down, this much, is really quite shocking. AMC is now, of course, all about the L+3's, so we'll see how it does there, but the premiere's ratings really were spectacularly bad.

Yikes. That's not great at all. I'm wondering if the Monday schedule hurt it.

ivysaur12

Banned
Interesting how much money Drop Dead Diva has made in revenue versus other Sony shows.

Also, goes to show you how much money lost on 3rd season shows that don't make it to syndication: Happy Endings, which made about 11 million in off-network sales, has made less than Justified, which is a cable show. I imagine you'd see the same (probably a little less) on something like Body of Proof.

Makes Universal finding a new home for Mindy an imperative.

Interesting how much money Drop Dead Diva has made in revenue versus other Sony shows.

Also, goes to show you how much money lost on 3rd season shows that don't make it to syndication: Happy Endings, which made about 11 million in off-network sales, has made less than Justified, which is a cable show. I imagine you'd see the same (probably a little less) on something like Body of Proof.

Makes Universal finding a new home for Mindy an imperative.
Did I miss something? Is Mindy not coming back?

To be fair, this season has been hit and miss. Not sure I'd stick with it regardless.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
The second season of Turn: Washington's Spies premiered to 827K viewers and a 0.2 A19-49 rating on AMC last night.

Season one never dipped below one million viewers (premiere - 2.12 million 0.5. finale - 1.60 million 0.4), though last year the show aired on Sundays instead of Mondays.

Still, I'm surprised that AMC's strategy didn't even give the show a small boost. They changed the name of the show by adding the 'Washington's Spies' subtitle, aired repeats after Hell on Wheels, put the entire first season up on AMC .com/VoD, and, finally, on Netflix just a few weeks ago

Just doesn't seem interesting to me, sorry. I mean the Culper Ring could be good and all, but every promo I've seen of it is just "meh... maybe later."

Joni

CW sent it out to die. What a disgrace by them.
What else can they do? They have a full schedule and they had seen all thirteen episodes when planning it like they had with iZombie. One of them was given a good slot, the other wasn't which should give a clear indication. They could hurt one of their succesful shows or throw a bad one under the bus.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
The Messengers was super crap. I suspect they sent it to die because it's a boring unoriginal premise with wooden acting, super obvious mythology hooks that no one will find interesting, and bad writing. Absolutely no potential for an audience or critical acclaim.

The premise is that a meteor lands on earth and a bunch of people pass out and when they wake up they have superpowers (just like every other superpower show ever) and when they walk in front of reflective surfaces they have angel wings and there's the implication that they are god's angels. Also there was a guy inside the meteor and he's Lucifer. Lucifer lands in the meteor nude, obv, so he murders a mechanic he finds by the side of the road to take his clothes. The effects are bad across the board, especially the "angel wings" and Lucifer's glowing red eyes at the end of the episode.

The plot was stretched thin because it had to jump from angel to angel, but that's pretty typical of a pilot, so I wanted to give it some slack. But the acting was quite poor. The characters are:
- A DEA undercover agent in Mexico;
- a high school swimmer who is in love with the hot girl;
- a television mega-church preacher
(whose wife is pregnant with his dad's child)
;
- a SETI scientist;
- a single mom just trying to make it in the world (it's actually shocking, even for television standards, how trite this is)

Also the military is telling everyone the meteor was a solar flare and they're HIDING something about it!!!!! <mythology hook so you keep watching the series>

The best-worst scene is when
the television mega-church preacher gets into an argument with his dad and then the next scene is the pregnancy reveal where the wife is crying and the father walks up behind her and puts his hand on her shoulder and then the wife said "you were away... i was weak..." and then the father says, to his son, "WHETHER THIS BABY IS YOUR SON OR YOUR BROTHER, HE'S STILL FAMILY" with an evil grin on his face
That was the moment where it became clear to me that this wasn't just bad pilot syndrome, but was actually a poorly made show.

Another particularly bad part is when
the high school kid uses his super-strength to kill a bully that was giving him a hard time and calling him gay. He then enters a crowded party with a face full of blood, walks to the hot girl he has a crush on her, and tells her what happened. She literally, without changing inflection, goes "what are you talking about? ... it was self defence" Like, she goes from not knowing he killed a guy, to internalizing it with no doubt or reaction at all. And then he's like "I DON'T KNOW WHAT'S HAPPENING... BUT THE ONLY THING I KNOW IN LIFE IS... I LOVE YOU!!!!!"

Yep.

abundant

The Messengers was super crap. I suspect they sent it to die because it's a boring unoriginal premise with wooden acting, super obvious mythology hooks that no one will find interesting, and bad writing. Absolutely no potential for an audience or critical acclaim.

Agreed. CW only had room to save this or iZombie and they choose to save the latter. Having watched both shows, CW made the right decision.

The premise is that a meteor lands on earth and a bunch of people pass out and when they wake up they have superpowers (just like every other superpower show ever) and when they walk in front of reflective surfaces they have angel wings and there's the implication that they are god's angels. Also there was a guy inside the meteor and he's Lucifer. Lucifer lands in the meteor nude, obv, so he murders a mechanic he finds by the side of the road to take his clothes. The effects are bad across the board, especially the "angel wings" and Lucifer's glowing red eyes at the end of the episode.

The plot was stretched thin because it had to jump from angel to angel, but that's pretty typical of a pilot, so I wanted to give it some slack. But the acting was quite poor. The characters are:
;
- a SETI scientist;
- a single mom just trying to make it in the world (it's actually shocking, even for television standards, how trite this is)

Also the military is telling everyone the meteor was a solar flare and they're HIDING something about it!!!!! <mythology hook so you keep watching the series>

the television mega-church preacher gets into an argument with his dad and then the next scene is the pregnancy reveal where the wife is crying and the father walks up behind her and puts his hand on her shoulder and then the wife said "you were away... i was weak..." and then the father says, to his son, "WHETHER THIS BABY IS YOUR SON OR YOUR BROTHER, HE'S STILL FAMILY" with an evil grin on his face
That was the moment where it became clear to me that this wasn't just bad pilot syndrome, but was actually a poorly made show.

the high school kid uses his super-strength to kill a bully that was giving him a hard time and calling him gay. He then enters a crowded party with a face full of blood, walks to the hot girl he has a crush on her, and tells her what happened. She literally, without changing inflection, goes "what are you talking about? ... it was self defence" Like, she goes from not knowing he killed a guy, to internalizing it with no doubt or reaction at all. And then he's like "I DON'T KNOW WHAT'S HAPPENING... BUT THE ONLY THING I KNOW IN LIFE IS... I LOVE YOU!!!!!"

Yep.

This sounds amazing.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

;
- a SETI scientist;

Yep.

oh my god

Maniac

Banned
I haven't watched yet, let you know tomorrow. Thing is, if the network doesn't respect the show's how can the audience?

Fox didn't at all respect Firefly, so an audience can definitely respect a show even if the network doesn't.

Of course... Whenever a show is sent off to die, it's often with good reason.

Just saw the index for Backstrom... Damn, I say. Watched two episodes with a friend and I really, really liked it.

Boo, I say.

Tagg9

Fox didn't at all respect Firefly, so an audience can definitely respect a show even if the network doesn't.

Of course... Whenever a show is sent off to die, it's often with good reason.

Just saw the index for Backstrom... Damn, I say. Watched two episodes with a friend and I really, really liked it.

Boo, I say.

Backstrom is in no way a defensible show. The writing, acting and overall production is just incredibly poor. The humor is meant to be edgy but somehow is about 5 years too late.

Backstrom is in no way a defensible show. The writing, acting and overall production is just incredibly poor. The humor is meant to be edgy but somehow is about 5 years too late.

Backstrom is not only defensible, it's totally great. I love the cast and it makes me laugh multiple times every single week. It's neck and neck with iZombie as my favorite new show of 2015 so far.

It's the only show getting canceled this spring that makes me sad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom