• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014-15 TV Cancellations: Under the Dome canned, what will CBS do with CG cows next?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sober

The Messengers was super crap. I suspect they sent it to die because it's a boring unoriginal premise with wooden acting, super obvious mythology hooks that no one will find interesting, and bad writing. Absolutely no potential for an audience or critical acclaim.
I dunno, I'll give it a fair shake. But clearly you haven't seen the SyFy original series, Olyumpus.

Patryn

I dunno, I'll give it a fair shake. But clearly you haven't seen the SyFy original series, Olyumpus.

I feel strangely bad for Syfy.

One has to admire a channel that is supposed to be all about Sci-fi and genre television who chose to run from its charter just before genre television blew the fuck up. Now, instead of ruling the TV world, it's instead scrambling to do whatever it can and attempting to appeal to an audience that has no reason to trust them because Syfy has burnt them so hard and so many times.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Is Netflix's Narcos a English language show? Or a Spanish language show?

Pretty certain it's English...

Edit: Maybe I'm wrong. I see a newer report that it is Spanish, then another report saying it was being shot for English and Spanish. A show announced after Narcos was touted as Netflix's first Spanish-language series.

*shrug*

Pretty certain it's English...

Edit: Maybe I'm wrong. I see a newer report that it is Spanish, then another report saying it was being shot for English and Spanish. A show announced after Narcos was touted as Netflix's first Spanish-language series.

*shrug*
Yes, it's English, found ivy's post earlier in the thread.
It's an English language show.

ABCFamily has canceled Mystery Girls.

You do NOT penis size shame on a Friday night shows. Whatever potential audience you just shriveled up like a cold day. For those who are influenced and try to come to grips with the world through media, it was harsh realization. How many potentially great lovers are we losing from such a throwaway line?

danielcw

When the networks write pree releases that spin how good shows are doing in Live+3 ratings and beyond, who are they actually writing those for, who are they trageting?
Who is supposed to be impressed by the information?

Fox didn't at all respect Firefly,
Wasn't it one of the most expenisve pilots back then?
And when that one failed to impress they actually let them write and shoot a second pilot.

Is Netflix's Narcos an English language show? Or a Spanish language show?
Yes, it's English, found ivy's post earlier in the thread.
Pretty sure Netflix will order Spanish dubs, right?
In the best case with the original actors reprising their roles.
Shooting this kind of series in Engklish is probably the best option, because English language audiences don't seem to like dubs at all.

Pretty sure Netflix will order Spanish dubs, right?
In the best case with the original actors reprising their roles.
Shooting this kind of series in Engklish is probably the best option, because English language audiences don't seem to like dubs at all.
I'm sure there will be a lot of spanish in the show with hardcoded english subtitles.

danielcw

Who is supposed to be impressed by press releases in general?
Well, if a press release is about a date on the schedule, or a metric that is supposed to matter I see its value. You have to get information out there to have its effect.
For example a new schedule needs to be published so the potential viewers can see it, and some real success metrics may inspire people to buy your stock.

Apparently the networks think it is worth it to have somebody write a press release about Live+3 and beyond ratings. So their must be a value for them.
But many people (me included) think that those ratings don't matter, at least for business. And I would assume that ad-buyers think so as well, and would demand the real/detailed numbers.

So what am I missing there?

I'm sure there will be a lot of spanish in the show with hardcoded english subtitles.
Hardcoded?

ivysaur12

Banned
But many people (me included) think that those ratings don't matter, at least for business. And I would assume that ad-buyers think so as well, and would demand the real/detailed numbers.

That's also sort of incorrect, though. FX makes most of their renewals based on DVR/VOD numbers. A lot of cable network do. In fact, I'd sort of silly to say that "those ratings don't matter" since we're not really sure how to quantify their value.

How would you quantify the value of an L+3 rating versus an L+SD rating for, say, The Americans? The thing is, you can't, since neither you nor I have the data available to be able understand why people might find value in that number. Off the top of my head, it's a very important metric when trying to get streaming syndication revenue, among the actual revenue gained from those eyeballs on a first-run basis.

danielcw

How would you quantify the value of an L+3 rating versus an L+SD rating for, say, The Americans? The thing is, you can't, since neither you nor I have the data available to be able understand why people might find value in that number. Off the top of my head, it's a very important metric when trying to get streaming syndication revenue, among the actual revenue gained from those eyeballs on a first-run basis.

Thanks for that insight, gives me something to think about.

(I have no idea on the situation for The Americans (how often does it air, commercials, etc), so I can't comment on that.)

anaron

You do NOT penis size shame on a Friday night shows. Whatever potential audience you just shriveled up like a cold day. For those who are influenced and try to come to grips with the world through media, it was harsh realization. How many potentially great lovers are we losing from such a throwaway line?
lmao

danielcw

Subtitles encoded in the video itself. Most commonly used when a character speaks in a language different from language the show/movie was produced in.

I read that Netflix doesn't actually allow those, or at least does not prefer them.
http://newworlddistro.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/FullTechnicalSpecOperatorsManual-6-0.pdf
Our preference is to receive a non-subtitled version of the content. Netflix defines “non-subtitled” as the
presence of main titles, end credits, narrative text, location call-outs, and other supportive/creative text,
but no burned-in subtitled dialogue, regardless of the language in the primary video.

But for example Person Of Interest on Netflix in Germany has indeed a hardcoded German picture (seems to be the German broadcast master slowed down to 23,976p)

And while were at it, I wish Netflix would allow framerates that differ from the native framerate.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

1gC2zvz.gif

TheOddOne

Amazing.

ivysaur12

Banned
RUMOURS:

The Grinder (at Fox) a lock for pickup. Someone needs to give it a new name. You know. Because of the gay.

Heartbreakers (fka Heart Matters, the Melissa George/David Annabel medical show) came in super well, could complicate things for Chicago Med or, more likely, The Night Shift.

I'm also one of 3 people on Earth who likes Melissa George, so this makes me happy.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Are there worse fans than Marvel fans? Please advise.

I know there are worse but good lord.

I'd love to create a secondary Internet to quarantine all MCU discussions within... and I'm just going to leave it at that before I say anything too inflammatory.

Busty

Banned

The only two fanbases worse than Marvel fans are...,

HALO
fans are horrendous. The reverence they have for what is a good game with a 'by the numbers' space opera story is baffling.

But the very, very, very worst are, without doubt, hardcore
Nintendo
fans.

Seriously, a lot of those people should be on some kind of Government watch list.

*shudder*

The only two fanbases worse than Marvel fans are...,

HALO
fans are horrendous. The reverence they have for what is a good game with a 'by the numbers' space opera story is baffling.

But the very, very, very worst are, without doubt, hardcore
Nintendo
fans.

Seriously, a lot of those people should be on some kind of Government watch list.

*shudder*

Nah
Sony
fans are much worse.

Jigorath

Banned

I was going to say Nintendo but I think Amiibo fans are more accurate. Anyone who waits 6 hours in line at Best Buy to purchase a Lucina Amiibo needs to get their priorities straight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom