• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014-15 TV Cancellations: Under the Dome canned, what will CBS do with CG cows next?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Lost Girl has a lot of "shits" in it. They can just say shit wily nilly in Canada huh?

ivysaur12

Banned
So, I had been looking up Rick & Morty, because I was curious why it wasn't covered under the WGA. Animation is actually an entirely different union -- Animation Guild, that covers everyone in animation, including writers. And being WGA does not bar you from working for another union.

But -- not all animation is under the Animation Guild. Fox's primetime shows are all covered under WGA. Not sure about ADHD, but I would guess that the same would follow? From what I've been able to tell, Father of the Pride was Animation Guild, but was trying to get WGA before it was canceled. And Sit Down & Shut Up was Animation Guild.

But most of the originals that Cartoon Network -- and Adult Swim -- air are either not in primetime, or are not 30 minute shows. But Rick & Morty is a 30 minute show airing in primetime. If anything, it resembles a Bob's Burgers or Family Guy much more than anything else on Adult Swim. It also has a more traditional writers room as opposed to other Cartoon Network shows, where the animators seem to also write.

So...

(I don't watch anything on Cartoon Network or Adult Swim or even Rick & Morty. This is what I think about at 1am)

beat

So, I had been looking up Rick & Morty, because I was curious why it wasn't covered under the WGA. Animation is actually an entirely different union -- Animation Guild, that covers everyone in animation, including writers. And being WGA does not bar you from working for another union.

[...]

(I don't watch anything on Cartoon Network or Adult Swim or even Rick & Morty. This is what I think about at 1am)
Then you might have missed this story (about the animators, not the writers): http://www.cartoonbrew.com/artist-r...tor-justin-roiland-fuck-the-union-103723.html

Edit: that said, earlier in 2013, about the writers:
Roiland: It's weird because it's not a union show, and it's not writers' guild. Like I know on Community, it's almost like you're in the military and you have your two stripes, your three stripes; your levels.

Harmon: It all comes out in the wash for me because on a network sitcom that is WGA, I'm empowered with the right to not only do Page One rewrites on everyone's stuff and put their name on the cover sheet, which is what I choose to do because if you work on Community, you work your ass off and you deserve a credit on a script 'cause you can take that somewhere and build a career off of it. But I'm also empowered to, if I wanted to, it would be legal for me to take someone else's work and put my name on it, which I do not do. So then on a non-union show, it's like, well, you're not even supposed to be doing any of this actual work on it. But it's like, I'll do it anyway. What is my point? I sleep like a baby at night because if I'm producing a show, that means I'm writing it. It would be nice to be union signatory, though.

Roiland: One of these days, hopefully. Fingers crossed. Get that bigger writers' room.

But -- not all animation is under the Animation Guild. Fox's primetime shows are all covered under WGA. Not sure about ADHD, but I would guess that the same would follow? From what I've been able to tell, Father of the Pride was Animation Guild, but was trying to get WGA before it was canceled. And Sit Down & Shut Up was Animation Guild.

But most of the originals that Cartoon Network -- and Adult Swim -- air are either not in primetime, or are not 30 minute shows. But Rick & Morty is a 30 minute show airing in primetime. If anything, it resembles a Bob's Burgers or Family Guy much more than anything else on Adult Swim. It also has a more traditional writers room as opposed to other Cartoon Network shows, where the animators seem to also write.

So...

The point that should be taken away here is that you should start watching Rick and Morty as soon as possible.

ivysaur12

Banned
Speaking of which, are Chicago Fire and Chicago PD good? Like a procedural good? Worth a watch?

They're good enough IMO. Some of the cross-over events are lame though. I don't find PD as bad as some of the other posters here, as far as procedurals go, they're fine.

A shame Backstrom might get cancelled. I quite liked it as a procedural as well.

You mean his death compared to his absence for 1,5 seasons?

They're killing him off too?

Man that hospital has got to be the unluckiest place on the planet. How many of the doctors working there have died under horrific circumstances? You've got people getting run over a bus, killed by a crazy maniac with a gun, an assortment of plane crashes and car accidents and I don't know what else, because I haven't followed the show in years. But seriously, those are some really unlucky people.

Joni

They're good enough IMO. Some of the cross-over events are lame though. I don't find PD as bad as some of the other posters here, as far as procedurals go, they're fine.

A shame Backstrom might get cancelled. I quite liked it as a procedural as well.

They're killing him off too?

Man that hospital has got to be the unluckiest place on the planet. How many of the doctors working there have died under horrific circumstances? You've got people getting run over a bus, killed by a crazy maniac with a gun, an assortment of plane crashes and car accidents and I don't know what else, because I haven't followed the show in years. But seriously, those are some really unlucky people.

George Martin keeps following lessons from Shonda.

BkMogul

Revenge has been cancelled, per Variety. The finale better give me some type of closure. I've invested too many tears in Emily/Amanda's quest for vengeance!

ivysaur12

Banned
Helix has been canceled. I'm so happy for the people that I met. I'm so happy it's gone. One day you'll all know the story. Not now.

But jesus Christ. Bye, Felicia.

I will be writing a comment on Deadline.

danielcw

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Now that Revenge is cancelled, is the show points to it ending properly?

“We can officially tell our fans that this will be the end of the story,” executive producer Sunil Nayar tells EW. “We’ve been talking to the network and we all just wanted to make sure that we felt very confident. Now that everybody has seen the finale—which is fabulous—everybody understands that as much as we all adore the show, it has hit exactly the mark it needed to to end. This is the series finale of Revenge that will be airing in a couple weeks.”

Kaladin

I started watching Revenge earlier this year and didn't make it far because I was watching too much else at the time. Might pick it up again since I know it's getting a real ending now.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Since the network TV season is winding down, which shows are you planning on dropping, if any?

I always have a hard time dropping shows, even ones I don't much like, but I think I've finally had enough of Scandal. It's been terrible (and boring - the cardinal sin of soaps) ever since season 3 began and it only too rarely verges upon the sudsy goodness of season 2.

I also would like to drop Arrow, since it was never anywhere near as good as people on GAF insisted it was, with this season in particular being a terrible mess. I am still deriving some enjoyment out of the passably entertaining The Flash though, so I'm not sure I can quit Arrow due to all the crossover episodes and such.

What about everyone else?

Since the network TV season is winding down, which shows are you planning on dropping, if any?

I always have a hard time dropping shows, even ones I don't much like, but I think I've finally had enough of Scandal. It's been terrible (and boring - the cardinal sin of soaps) ever since season 3 began and it only too rarely verges upon the sudsy goodness of season 2.

I also would like to drop Arrow, since it was never anywhere near as good as people on GAF insisted it was, with this season in particular being a terrible mess. I am still deriving some enjoyment out of the passably entertaining The Flash though, so I'm not sure I can quit Arrow due to all the crossover episodes and such.

I'm not dropping anything, that i didn't stop watching during the season. Hawaii Five-0 was very bad this season, there were only like 3 good episodes out of 22, and i stopped after episode 13, but caught up last week. It's still fun enough to watch.
And everyone should watch Black-ish. It's so good.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

Scandal is fiercely terrible at this point, and if you want Shondaland, HTGAWM seems more interesting.

Well, my opinion on comic book stuff isn't popular on GAF, so I probably won't elaborate on this.

Besides Scandal, I'm probably going to drop The Nightly Show from my regular rotation. I'm now over a season behind Episodes and House of Lies. Girls went from something I watched routinely to a summer catchup. Halt and Catch Fire I think I'll probably catch up on later. I stopped watching Jane the Virgin so I'll catch up on that. Madam Secretary I won't be watching next season. If Marry Me somehow returns I'm 50/50 on if I'd watch another season. Masters of Sex I don't watch anymore. I'm trying with every fibre of my being to encourage my partner to drop New Girl--she finally gave up on 2 Broke Girls this year. Nurse Jackie is mercifully ending. I don't think I'll be live-watching Orphan Black for much longer. Portlandia is definitely past its prime. If they do another season of Sherlock I probably won't watch. I'm behind on the 100. Also House of Cards--way behind on that. And I dropped Homeland just before this season but if you're somehow still watching that... Hoping the Derek special will be the end of the show. Wouldn't watch another season of Cosmos. Community--haven't watched any of the Yahoo season but definitely won't be bothering going forward.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Scandal is fiercely terrible at this point, and if you want Shondaland, HTGAWM seems more interesting.

Heh, I'm not sure that I do. If did I want another Krazy Soap, I think I'd go for Empire.

Well, my opinion on comic book stuff isn't popular on GAF, so I probably won't elaborate on this.

You're safe in here!

Besides Scandal, I'm probably going to drop The Nightly Show from my regular rotation. I'm now over a season behind Episodes and House of Lies. Girls went from something I watched routinely to a summer catchup. Halt and Catch Fire I think I'll probably catch up on later. I stopped watching Jane the Virgin so I'll catch up on that. Madam Secretary I won't be watching next season. If Marry Me somehow returns I'm 50/50 on if I'd watch another season. Masters of Sex I don't watch anymore. I'm trying with every fibre of my being to encourage my partner to drop New Girl--she finally gave up on 2 Broke Girls this year. Nurse Jackie is mercifully ending. I don't think I'll be live-watching Orphan Black for much longer. Portlandia is definitely past its prime. If they do another season of Sherlock I probably won't watch. I'm behind on the 100. Also House of Cards--way behind on that. And I dropped Homeland just before this season but if you're somehow still watching that... Hoping the Derek special will be the end of the show. Wouldn't watch another season of Cosmos. Community--haven't watched any of the Yahoo season but definitely won't be bothering going forward.

Whoa dude, that's...a lot.

A couple more:

I forgot about Marry Me. I thought it was mostly terrible but I would probably still watch it if NBC renewed it (which they won't, thankfully). I do wish they had aired the final few episodes though, just for completion's sake.

Community is way past its prime but it still has the occasional moment of brilliance every now and then. There are only 5 episodes left so I'll stick it out til the end.

Derek's special was decent but not great. I'm glad the show is over despite really liking the first season.

I started watching Man Seeking Woman when it first premiered but stopped when things got too hectic. I'll try to catch up on the rest of it when there's a lull.

Oh yeah, and Netflix's Marco Polo. Still need to watch the rest of that. The first two episodes weren't too exciting but the period is far too interesting and obscure for me to ignore it.

Hard for me to drop shows if I watch them beyond 2 seasons. Hell a lot of shows I watch won't be lasting anyway for the next couple of years.

Revenge is gone. Stalker will surely be cancelled. Pretty Little Liars is gone in 2017. The Following might get one more season or be possibly cancelled this season. Sleepy Hollow might make it to a fourth season. I think the next season of Castle might be the last since I think it's apparent the two leads want to move on. Has Stana Katic even signed on for the upcoming 8th season?

The Vampire Diaries might last at best 2 more seasons, same thing with Grimm. Teen Wolf might last another 2 seasons and who knows how long Supernatural will go on.

That's about 10 shows I probably won't be watching anymore in the next 2 years or so.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that

I'm pretty much done with Gotham, I'm finding it hard to work up the desire to watch the three most recent episodes.

I was almost done with The Flash, but it had a really good episode this week, so I'm on boars again. The meta human of the week episodes are generally terrible though, especially that Bug Eyed Bandit one.

Two of my favorites shows (Justified and Mad Men) are done this year, so I actually have more room for shows.

Syriel

Weird.
Why would they do that?

NBC gonna ... NBC?

NBC = Not Broadcasted Correctly?

I might check the show out, depending on the reviews, plus the fact that it has Claire Holt (I miss her so much on The Originals) and that it's airing before Hannibal. Even if I watch I doubt it'll be something I want to rush through so, um, whatever NBC. Seems like a pretty weird strategy to me.

What? Why?

The Netflix effect.

It has worked extremely well for Netflix so it's no surprise that traditional broadcasters are starting to experiment with that model.

DrEvil

not a medical professional

I have all eps of this season of Hell's Kitchen in my DVR but I have zero interest in watching it anymore. I think I'm done with my Gordon Ramsay era. Having watched every season as they aired...

Oh well.

G0523

Arrow has not been as good this season as it was in the first two but I'll still stick with it since I also have a hard time of dropping shows. And The Flash crossovers help it immensely.

I'm thinking of dropping 2 Broke Girls since it really hasn't been going anywhere this season. Sure, Max and Caroline got new jobs at some fancy-ass pastry shop but this entire season has been about Sophie and Oleg's wedding. And they're just awful characters. Shame since it's one of only two CBS shows I watch (the other being Mom).

I was also thinking of dropping New Girl and The Mindy Project after this season but New Girl got so much better and The Mindy Project looks like it's either on its way out or has one more season left in it so I'll stick with them.

Brooklyn Nine-Nine though. :/ This season hasn't been nearly as good as last year's and it really seems as though everything is being phoned in. Shocking since it's only on season 2. I'll give it another season but if it doesn't improve I may have to drop it.

Community has been draaaagging for me this season. I don't understand how so many people keep saying it's a return to form or that every new episode is still good. I'm struggling to get through them and am not laughing much. Too much has changed and I really hope that this will be the last season.

As for others? Well, Cougar Town, Revenge, Parks and Recreation, Marry Me, and Looking have all decided for me that they're ending so those are done.

And I'm still keeping The Last Man on Earth, The Flash, Veep, Game of Thrones, The Middle, Modern Family, Black-ish, and Nashville.

Hmm, that doesn't seem like a lot of shows to me. I've watched more before. Hopefully there will be new shows that are good this fall. Hopefully.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom