• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014-15 TV Cancellations: Under the Dome canned, what will CBS do with CG cows next?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
What about everyone else?

I gave up on a bunch of things this season. Some for time, some just because I lost interest.

Elementary, Sleepy Hollow, Scandal, How to Get Away with Murder, Workaholics and Mom.

You could also count The Odd Couple, which I sampled due to my Give Former Friends a Chance rule, but woof.

I also keep going back and forward on Gotham, I don't know that I would watch season 2, unless something big changes.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Brooklyn Nine-Nine though. :/ This season hasn't been nearly as good as last year's and it really seems as though everything is being phoned in. Shocking since it's only on season 2. I'll give it another season but if it doesn't improve I may have to drop it.

I was tempted to put BNN on my list. It's not very good anymore, but it's still pleasant enough to watch so I'll stick with it for at least another season. Gina is still hilarious more often than not.

I feel like I need to give up on Orphan Black. It's just an absolute chore to watch plot wise. Of course Tatiana Maslany is amazing and she's on screen all the time so I keep forcing myself to watch it but the show itself is terrible.

Belfast

That's from Michael Ausiello. Please tell me he's wrong. I don't think I could handle POI being cancelled.

I am not completely caught up on this season, but POI seems like it could use one more season to wrap everything up and have a complete story. After that, it would just be dragging things out, I think.

G0523

I was tempted to put BNN on my list. It's not very good anymore, but it's still pleasant enough to watch so I'll stick with it for at least another season. Gina is still hilarious more often than not.

Agreed! And even though Holt is now kinda overused (it also relates to the phoning it in thing) he's also my favorite.

BrightLightLava

Unconfirmed Member
I feel like I need to give up on Orphan Black. It's just an absolute chore to watch plot wise. Of course Tatiana Maslany is amazing and she's on screen all the time so I keep forcing myself to watch it but the show itself is terrible.

It's really fallen off the rails hasn't it? I don't know if there's a show that has used the word "sister" as much as the first three episodes of this season has.

Tatiana is still amazing, though. Maybe I'll just stick to watching season one over and over.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Man, one day I wanna hear the entire Helix story.

Ivysaur12 Presents: The Final Hours of Helix (available only on iOS devices)

Two of my favorites shows (Justified and Mad Men) are done this year, so I actually have more room for shows.

Yeah, there are a few more holes in my schedule thanks to all the cancelled/ending shows this year:

Looking
Helix
Justified
Mad Men
Strike Back

TripOpt55

I don't know if I'm watching anything still that I might drop, but I did drop these after trying them:

How to Get Away With Murder: I just stopped caring after five episodes.
Empire: Watched a few, but a bit too ridiculous for me.
Dig: Seemed very dumb so only got through one episode.
Battle Creek: Seemed very dull so only got through one episode.

Not even sure if those last two count since I only watched the pilot. Haven is the only show I've been watching for years that I haven't kept up with this past season. My interest had been waning for a few years, but I feel I'm too far in to throw in the towel. I will probably catch up at some point. Once I've watched enough of something it is hard for me to quit even if it is pretty bad.

Sober

No joke post, I hate that garbage. That's why my opinion is unpopular. I try not to bring it up unprompted.
Sorry, misread, didn't realize it was your opinion about comic books/comic book shows. But yeah, The Flash/Arrow/even Daredevil are mostly just fun shows, nothing really more.

Do let the hate flow through you though.

Sober

People in comic book show threads overreact way too much. Someone actually posted saying they thought the first season of The Flash was the best first season of any TV show ever. Talk about saying something you can't take back.

Sober

I saw that so it might be the best 1st season of any comic book show so far though. I truly don't know what is the best first season ever. So many shows start out great and turn straight to shit so that will mess up my judgement.
I would probably say Daredevil is easily better then The Flash, if not iZombie (it's still only halfway through) in the comic books show for the year. And even then I wouldn't consider Daredevil to be better than much else except against other comic book shows.

There were quite a few better first seasons just this year in fact. It's just that The Flash has all the pomp and (no pun intended) flash of comic books and I guess it knows who to pander to with all its bad meta humour. So of course people are going to get excited by that.

I forgot that Revenge was still a thang.
I do this a lot. When that...thing happened with Grey's Anatomy recently and blew up Facebook and other places, I was slightly surprised to realize that it still existed.
Since the network TV season is winding down, which shows are you planning on dropping, if any?

I always have a hard time dropping shows, even ones I don't much like, but I think I've finally had enough of Scandal. It's been terrible (and boring - the cardinal sin of soaps) ever since season 3 began and it only too rarely verges upon the sudsy goodness of season 2.

I also would like to drop Arrow, since it was never anywhere near as good as people on GAF insisted it was, with this season in particular being a terrible mess. I am still deriving some enjoyment out of the passably entertaining The Flash though, so I'm not sure I can quit Arrow due to all the crossover episodes and such.

Scandal was so bad that I was veritably dragged through season 3 against my will by another person, and I dropped Arrow quite a while ago. I stopped watching The Vampire Diaries a season or two back, too, around the time of The Originals - it's not bad, but I just have no interest anymore. I don't think American Horror Story is even a fun trainwreck anymore. The Walking Dead had probably its best season yet, but I'm getting so tired of it that I'm not sure I'll continue to bother. That all sounds super negative, but I follow around 15 shows consistently and have my eye on several more. I have to be so choosy these days with the massive amount of decent-to-good stuff available. :x

For some reason I fell behind on Louie for several seasons, but I oughta catch up. When I did keep up with it it was always funnier and more insightful than the vast majority of TV.

Brooklyn Nine-Nine though. :/ This season hasn't been nearly as good as last year's and it really seems as though everything is being phoned in. Shocking since it's only on season 2. I'll give it another season but if it doesn't improve I may have to drop it.
Agreed! And even though Holt is now kinda overused (it also relates to the phoning it in thing) he's also my favorite.
So i'm not alone. I missed the last 5 or so episodes. It's just not as good.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
People in comic book show threads overreact way too much. Someone actually posted saying they thought the first season of The Flash was the best first season of any TV show ever. Talk about saying something you can't take back.

Yeah, you have intensified reactions in comic movie and TV show threads. Two episodes into Daredevil, and I already liked that more than any other comic show on the air.

I'm actually kinda perplexed about how positive the reaction to The Flash is across the board. It's alright, about on the same level of Arrow Season 1 to me. The writing is just super lazy sometimes. It can be fun, but sometimes villains just get away with no explanation. Actually it happens almost every episode.

danielcw

Once I am into a show, I don't really drop it.
The most recent show I dropped was probably 2 Broke Girls in early season 2.

I only watch The Simpsons because I watch almost all of Animation Domination, and some episodes caught my interest. But I am losing interest on it again.

Netflix is not a verb.
Who decides when a subject can be used as a verb?
Tivo seems to be fine, why not Netflix?

One thing I like about the modern English language is how subjects can become verbs.

There were quite a few better first seasons just this year in fact.
Which ones?

Tucah

you speak so well
I'm definitely dropping Scandal, skipped out on it after the midseason break and haven't looked back since. I'll give B99 a little into the third season but if it doesn't improve it might be on the chopping block. I haven't seen the past episode yet but Orphan Black is getting dangerously close to that level after the past season, but I'll see if this season rights some of the issues I had last year. New Girl will probably be gone from my DVR next year. Everything else I'm iffy on (that I can think of at this time) is either ending or unlikely to get renewed.

OH FUCK. About Aquarius.
The episodes will only be available for the first four weeks of the run. And it makes sense considering producers have cut two versions of the series. Sources tell The Hollywood Reporter that one will be more broadcast friendly with the other intended to push the envelope on streaming.

Joni

Since the network TV season is winding down, which shows are you planning on dropping, if any?

I always have a hard time dropping shows, even ones I don't much like, but I think I've finally had enough of Scandal. It's been terrible (and boring - the cardinal sin of soaps) ever since season 3 began and it only too rarely verges upon the sudsy goodness of season 2.

I also would like to drop Arrow, since it was never anywhere near as good as people on GAF insisted it was, with this season in particular being a terrible mess. I am still deriving some enjoyment out of the passably entertaining The Flash though, so I'm not sure I can quit Arrow due to all the crossover episodes and such.

It will honestly depend more on the placement within the week. I'm overloading on Thursday shows which I can't drop because I like them, I have way less shows on the other days. But if I drop something:
- Castle keeps having very little interesting case of the week episodes. It is 80% boring episodes that I hardly watch anymore with a couple of gems.
- Homeland: I have to accept it won't go back to the political intrigue of previous seasons, because everyone seemed to like the 24-lite Season 4.
- Agents of SHIELD: Still can't stand Coulson-May so with the Mockingbird spin-off it seems like a good idea to leave and switch exclusively to the antics of Hunter.
- Also American Crime, The Mentalist, Community, Constantine, Agent Carter, Glee, Mad Men because they won't be on television anyway.

Drop shows?

Never. I'll just continue to watch everything I currently do and bitch about the stuff that's become terrible. As others have noted, a ton of shows have finished their runs in the last year or so, which means the amount of stuff I'm watching will naturally decline.

Yeah, I assume that would be the likely case. Then that at least makes the situation vastly more interesting instead of simply "lolnbc".

The whole thing just makes me less likely to watch the show at all.

I'm not interested enough to binge watch it in four weeks and I refuse to watch a watered down broadcast friendly cut if another one exists, so I guess I'll just file the show under the "maybe watch someday years down the road" category.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Drop shows?

Never. I'll just continue to watch everything I currently do and bitch about the stuff that's become terrible. As others have noted, a ton of shows have finished their runs in the last year or so, which means the amount of stuff I'm watching will naturally decline.

I used to be like you man, maybe I still am, but for the sake of my sanity I feel like I have to at least try!

The whole thing just makes me less likely to watch the show at all.

I'm not interested enough to binge watch it in four weeks and I refuse to watch a watered down broadcast friendly cut if another one exists, so I guess I'll just file the show under the "maybe watch someday years down the road" category.

If it turns out to be terrible, then you won't have to sweat it!

After Hannibal happened and with the rise of premium cable channels I'm not really sure what content boundaries are left to be pushed on television anymore.

What, just dicks everywhere?

Card Boy

Banned
Not surprised Revenge got cancelled. Season 1 was amazing, basically Count of Monte Cristo with a female lead. Season 2 was Prison Break 'The Conspiracy' writters strike stuff, interesting but much weaker than Season 1. 5 eps into Season 3 is where I stopped, just became some Melrose Place shit. Can't comment on Season 4.

Yeah I'm like you in that I find it hard to drop shows, even if they're not very good.

That said, I'm planning to clean house this season. Quite a few shows ended on their own, thankfully.

Arrow had a pretty mediocre season. I think I'll still check out where they want to take the story next year but if it seems boring, I'll drop it in between. Gotham is gone for sure. That show is rubbish. Still not sold on iZombie so I might drop that depending on how the rest of the season goes. Dropping Agents of Shield as well. They seem to have no idea what kind of story they're telling. Think I'm done with Nashville as well. Vampire Diaries and Originals are both gone. I also watched Scorpion but that never rose above middling so that's gone too. And definitely dropping Scandal. That show has gone insane.

I loved Orphan Black so much in the first season but the second one made absolutely no sense at all. Struggled through it but I couldn't get myself to even bother with the third season.

Not surprised Revenge got cancelled. Season 1 was amazing, basically Count of Monte Cristo with a female lead. Season 2 was Prison Break 'The Conspiracy' writters strike stuff, interesting but much weaker than Season 1. 5 eps into Season 3 is where I stopped, just became some Melrose Place shit. Can't comment on Season 4.

Was it the second season that had the Initiative storyline? I couldn't believe a show could drop in quality as badly as Revenge did and I continue to be baffled at how it survived 2 more years after that.

Zalasta

I don't consciously choose to drop a show, I just drag my feet in catching up on the new episodes that eventually when they are no longer available to stream for free, I would stop watching.

Patryn

I think (hope?) people are saying that because people's definitions of "best" differ. To some, best implies "quality" for lack of a better word. For others, best implies enjoyable or fun.

For instance, I'd say Schindler's List was a high-quality film, but it's not fun or enjoyable to watch. It's actively uncomfortable at times.

Personally, I'd agree that Flash has had one of the most enjoyable and fun first seasons I've ever seen. I'd never argue that it's high "quality" (the writing for Iris is terrible, the writers have Barry often forget that he's super-fast, etc, etc.), but it almost never fails to entertain me and put a smile on my face. On that definition I can see classifying it as one of the "best".

Does that make sense?

Does that make sense?

Completely.

I used to be like you man, maybe I still am, but for the sake of my sanity I feel like I have to at least try!

How much stuff are you still watching? It seems like so much stuff ended, or is ending soon. If you took away the CW and the Sunday premium cable shows I really wouldn't be watching all that much.

Summer looks to be pretty light viewing for me, even a lot of shows I like have really short orders. 6 Rectify, 7 Hell on Wheels, those shows will be done as soon as they start.

After Hannibal happened and with the rise of premium cable channels I'm not really sure what content boundaries are left to be pushed on television anymore.

What, just dicks everywhere?

Until we're like the rest of the world where the tits come out at 9pm on free tv we have a long distance to go.

Actually, forget that. The fact that the walking dead could theoretically show a baby being skinned alive and that's ok, but they still can't say fuck is a serious issue.

Watch the It Crowd which is extremely family friendly but they'll still use fuck when appropriate and it's very natural

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Until we're like the rest of the world where the tits come out at 9pm on free tv we have a long distance to go.

Actually, forget that. The fact that the walking dead could theoretically show a baby being skinned alive and that's ok, but they still can't say fuck is a serious issue.

Watch the It Crowd which is extremely family friendly but they'll still use fuck when appropriate and it's very natural

Well, the British also say "cunt" on their sitcoms from time to time and well, we know how that would go over here.

Tucker's Law is still my favourite thing:
"If some cunt can fuck something up, that cunt will pick the worst possible time to fucking fuck it up because that cunt's a cunt"

Even Veep doesn't have anything like that. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom