• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014-15 TV Cancellations: Under the Dome canned, what will CBS do with CG cows next?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I gave up on Masters of Sex one ep into season 2. It felt like any progress forward was reversed entirely by the end of the first episode. Was the rest of the season forward moving? I am sick of the focus being on the leads never getting together.

odiin

My Apartment, or the 120 Screenings of Salo
Until we're like the rest of the world where the tits come out at 9pm on free tv we have a long distance to go.

Actually, forget that. The fact that the walking dead could theoretically show a baby being skinned alive and that's ok, but they still can't say fuck is a serious issue.

Watch the It Crowd which is extremely family friendly but they'll still use fuck when appropriate and it's very natural

I haven't watched the walking dead in years, but they still can't say fuck? That's weird since it's been heard on Mad Men like 2 or 3 episodes in a row, as well as Better Call Saul a couple of times.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I haven't watched the walking dead in years, but they still can't say fuck? That's weird since it's been heard on Mad Men like 2 or 3 episodes in a row, as well as Better Call Saul a couple of times.
I forgot which critic said it, but apparently AMC has a "one fuck per season" rule on their shows.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I dropped The Nightly Show.

I hope to drop Girls and Homeland and not get suckered into watching more of those when they return. I was never huge on Girls, but it's really being utterly repetitive, asinine and obnoxious. Homeland is just a dumb 24 facsimile now with more excessive Carrie idiocy.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
How much stuff are you still watching? It seems like so much stuff ended, or is ending soon. If you took away the CW and the Sunday premium cable shows I really wouldn't be watching all that much.

Summer looks to be pretty light viewing for me, even a lot of shows I like have really short orders. 6 Rectify, 7 Hell on Wheels, those shows will be done as soon as they start.

At this very moment:

Turn: Washington's Spies
Community
The Flash
Agents of SHIELD
Arrow
Nashville
Modern Family
Scandal
Louie
Children's Hospital
Outlander
Orphan Black
Mad Men
Game of Thrones
Silicon Valley
Veep
Bob's Burgers
Brooklyn Nine-Nine

and Penny Dreadful comes back this week.

19 shows, but as you mentioned, a couple just ended (Justified, The Americans, Vikings, etc.). I looked at what's coming in May and there are only 3 shows that I'll definitely watch, which seems like an all time low for me.

I'm not really sure what content boundaries are left to be pushed on television anymore.

Female genitals

Unsimulated sex scenes

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Bates Motel
Black-ish
Brooklyn Nine-Nine
Childrens Hospital
The Daily Show
Game of Thrones
Last Week Tonight
Louie
Penny Dreadful
The Red Road
Silicon Valley
Veep

I think that's what I'm down to as of this coming Sunday. Someday I suppose I should give Community: S6 a shot.

Shows I'm currently watching .
  • HAVEN
  • Agents of SHIELD
  • Daredevil
  • Arrow
  • Flash
  • Hawaii Five- 0
  • NCIS: Los Angeles
  • 12 Monkeys
  • The Walking Dead
  • New Girl
  • Doctor Who
  • Mysteries of Laura

I'm disappointing that Covert Affairs Got canceled :(

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I think it was the season finale of season 4 where they they edited the fuck out of the very last line, lessening the impact.
It was notable in the Better Caul Saul finale, where there was an audible blank during a line of dialog. I don't know why they bother, because what kids are watching shows on AMC anyway?

Until we're like the rest of the world where the tits come out at 9pm on free tv we have a long distance to go.

Actually, forget that. The fact that the walking dead could theoretically show a baby being skinned alive and that's ok, but they still can't say fuck is a serious issue.

Watch the It Crowd which is extremely family friendly but they'll still use fuck when appropriate and it's very natural

America's weird, inverted attitudes towards sex & violence are one issue, but a cultural one. Culture can be changed. The problem is that with the existence of the FCC and its bizarrely archaic rules that apparently consider swearing and nudity to be indecent if not obscene, I'm not sure this is a boundary that broadcasters can feel comfortable in pushing without fearing fines or other legal action.

It's something I thought about but didn't really touch upon when I was writing that post. How are we ever going to alter the paradigm that extreme levels of violence and gore are acceptable but swearing and nudity are verboten if there is a legal body standing in the way of that? We're still operating in a world where M.I.A.'s middle finger (tantamount to a "fuck you") and Janet Jackson's nipple merited hundreds of thousands to millions of dollars in fines, but a man crawling out of the abdomen of a dead horse or Jack Bauer torturing people are a-OK.

ETA: So obviously, the big divide here is between basic channels and premium/streaming programming. On the former there are still many (noted above) restrictions, but largely legal ones that are going to be really difficult to change just by adding progressively racier content, while on the latter it seems like there really aren't many ways to shock anymore.

Hobbun

Shows I'm currently watching:

Revenge
Once Upon a Time
Madam Secretary
The Originals
The Following
The Returned
NCIS
NCIS: New Orleans
Person of Interest
Forever (going to miss this :( )
Agents of SHIELD
The Flash
IZombie
Chicago Fire
Arrow
Supernatural
Chicago PD
Vampire Diaries
Elementary
Blacklist
Nashville
Grimm
Hawaii Five-O
Lost Girl

Of course not caught up on all these shows, have a few in queue in my DVR.

I also have Dig and American Odyssey in the DVR. But thinking about dumping AO as it appears it is going to be canceled.

The Americans
The Last Ship
Legends
Falling Skies
Haven
Beauty and the Beast
Sleepy Hollow
Dominion
Defiance
The 100
Scorpion
Unforgettable (Yay, brought back again!)

These shows I watch as well, but in between seasons now.

I keep a .txt file of all the TV shows I'm following at the moment, and I'm not even sure it's comprehensive. lol.

Tier 1: I would sacrifice my first-born child to see these continued
---
Rectify
Hannibal
The Knick
Louie (ignoring that I fell behind a season or two)
Jane the Virgin
The 100
Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt
Rick and Morty
Last Week Tonight

Tier 2: Enjoy, not planning on dropping anytime soon
---
Outlander
Orange is the New Black
Orphan Black (this is about to be bumped down a tier)
Steven Universe
Drunk History
The Fall
The Good Wife (doing it's best to get bumped down as well wtf)
Gravity Falls
Inside Amy Schumer

Tier 3: Will maybe catch up at some point but good lord this list is already too long
---
The Walking Dead?
Teen Wolf
iZombie
Vikings
Banshee
Masters of Sex
How to Get Away with Murder
Person of Interest
Lost Girl (...judge me, I am trash)

DroppedT
---
Scandal
American Horror Story
The Walking Dead?
The Vampire Diaries
your favorite show

My shows are:
The 100 (real surprise, watched zero shows on the CW before this...)
iZombie (...and now I watch two!)
Person of Interest (don't you dare cancel this CBS)
Hannibal (enjoy this but not nearly as much as a lot of gaf seems to)
Wayward Pines (only saw premier and liked it, looking forward to the rest of the episodes)
Gravity Falls (and its abysmal schedule)
The Returned (French version)

British being British:
Sherlock
Luther

Show I really want to finish:
Better Call Saul

Shows that I'll get back to... someday:
Game of Thrones
Broadchurch
Orphan Black
Marco Polo
Haven
House of Cards

Dearly departed this season:
Justified

Going to guess there's not going to be another season (EDIT: Oh right, forgot what it was about so very likely not) so they're going to burn it and test the effects of it all going up and how it affects the ratings and maybe if it works well enough start doing it with other shows next season while getting a lot more money out of Netflix.

EDIT: Okay either I missed a new page or I had this topic open for eight hours and forgot to refresh.

I find it really had to drop shows... I stuck with Smallville for all 10 seasons, I can put up with a lot of shit though I doubt I'll keep up with Scorpion when it comes back.

Futurematic

Why? What's wrong with Scorpion?

Your basic CBS show with a little better acting/writing? Nowhere near Person of Interest we tricked CBS good level.

Nothing wrong with it for what it is, honestly, but you can find the same thing in NCIS and spin-offs and dozens of other CBS shows.

Nobility

Banned
That's from Michael Ausiello. Please tell me he's wrong. I don't think I could handle POI being cancelled.
Oh, he's wrong...he better be...CBS, prove him wrong...do you know what happens if they don't renew this revolutionary show...my prediction:

wtBfNQa.png

Hobbun

Yes, basically that.

Hey, if you don't enjoy it, don't watch it. :) I was just curious.

Where I certainly agree that POI has better writing than Scorpion, I do feel Scorpion has better writing than Smallville, so I do find it a little unusual that you watched all 10 seasons of Smallville. Maybe just different standards for a CW show?

But I am the same way and almost never drop shows, either.

It was just 22 episodes and like, nothing really happened. I stuck with Smallville because well, it was Superman related and by the end I did feel like I wasted my time with it.

Sober

Scorpion is bad because Walter O'Brien is a terrible person in real life and the show basically is (after watching 8 or 9 episodes) the Walter O'Brien show where his team is pretty much almost worthless, especially in the episodes telegraphed to be about them, because Walter O'Brien (the character) instead just takes over and saves the day to make real life Walter O'Brien look good.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
ids habbeding

NBC is the first broadcaster out of the gate with its 2015-16 season pickups, ordering to series Chicago Fire spinoff No. 2 Chicago Med, the Greg Berlanti mystery thriller Blindspot and medical drama Heartbreaker (FKA Heart Matters).

Blindspot centers on a beautiful Jane Doe (Thor‘s Jaime Alexander) who is discovered naked in Times Square, completely covered in mysterious, intricate tattoos with no memory of who she is or how she got there. There’s one that’s very clear, however: the name of FBI agent Kurt Weller (Strike Back‘s Sullivan Stapleton) emblazoned across her back. “Jane,” Agent Weller and rest of the FBI quickly realize that each mark on her body is a crime to solve, leading them closer to the truth about her identity and the mysteries to be revealed.

Lastly, Heartbreaker, from former Wonder Years Co-EP Jill Gordon, is being billed as a character-driven medical drama that follows Dr. Alex Panttiere (Good Wife and Grey’s Anatomy grad Melissa George), an outspoken world-renowned heart-transplant surgeon and one of the few women in her field. Stubborn and fearless, Alex always operates on her own terms. She revels in a racy personal life that’s a full-time job in itself, manages the daily demands of skeptical faculty and dutiful interns, and pushes the boundaries of medical science to impressive new heights.

RIP The Night Shift? #ShiftiesWeep

Another Berlanti series picked up? How many concurrent shows would that be? Off the top of my head there's... The Mysteries of Laura, Arrow, Flash, Supergirl, Arrow/Flash spinoff and now Blindspot. Does he have any other shows being considered?

Blindspot centers on a beautiful Jane Doe (Thor‘s Jaime Alexander) who is discovered naked in Times Square, completely covered in mysterious, intricate tattoos with no memory of who she is or how she got there.

In the opening scene of the series' pilot episode, a mysterious man wakes up on an island off the coast of Seattle, Washington, naked, with absolutely no memory of who he is or how he got there.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Doe_(TV_series)

Really NBC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom