• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014-15 TV Cancellations: Under the Dome canned, what will CBS do with CG cows next?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wiktor

How were they similar? I might not be remembering Reaper correctly.

Thing about it. Two loosers who work at local superstores. Both suddenly got magical powers to fight evil. Both pine over beautiful coworker. And both shows mixed comedy with action.
After both shows got enough episodes to stretch their creative wings they both forged their own unique indienties. But when they were starting they felt like just a different spins on the very same pitch. Reaper aproached it with horror elements, while Chuck did the same with spy genre.

ivysaur12

Banned
So now that the dust has settled:
Can somebody explain, why Galavant and Agent Carter were renewed?

That's surprising, but I expect there will be a follow-up post, when all upfronts are done

Because international sales are huge and both of them do well internationally and never did terribly here, and they're both internal favorites. Compare that to Forever, which is also an internal favorite that also does well abroad, but not owned by ABC Studios so they don't care. Or Cristela, which sort of lost the love of the network.

beat

Dr. Ken got picked up?

I can see Dave Foley getting the text, saying "seeya boys!' and jumping out of a moving car while the rest of the Kids In The Hall plummet off a cliff.
Will this kill Dave Foley's incredibly terrible Canadian sitcom? (I mean, more than JP Manoux already did.)

ivysaur12

Banned
Such a bad year for Warner. No comedies, shut out at ABC, nothing at Fox save Lucifer, NBC has Blindspot and... Love is a Four Letter Word? Maybe? And Supergirl. That's it. Maybe Rush Hour?

tim.mbp

When is NBC going to give us the news? Only thing I really care about there is About a Boy, but it seems like it's dead. I'll miss having a Katims show on TV.

Krakn3Dfx

Uncle Buck picked up at ABC

My only thought at the moment.
why-god-why.jpg

Is Constantine still cancelled, despite William Shatner's tweets?

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Hell Yes ! So glad Agent Carter got renewed. Agents of SHIELD was practically confirmed for renewal.

There is a 0.0000% chance that they would renew Agent Carter without renewing Agents of SHIELD.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Vulture - The State of Network Television: 10 Trends That Will Guide the 2015–16 Season

Ratings still matter — but not as much as they used to.

“As recently as five years ago, [TV] was still 80 percent about winning and being competitive,” one industry vet says. Today, the equation has changed. Nets still want Nielsen numbers, and they want to draw more of the right kinds of viewers (i.e. young people) than their rivals. Nearly as important now, however, is what Hollywood suits like to call “asset creation.”

That means using the network platform to create shows that bring in revenue from sources other than advertising — sales to international markets, U.S. cable networks, and, increasingly, streaming players such as Netflix or Hulu. Even programs that don’t grab that many viewers when they air on traditional linear TV — think NBC’s Hannibal or the second season of CBS’s Under the Dome — can still turn into moneymakers for networks through these alternative revenue streams. Ideally, of course, networks want every show to be like Empire or How to Get Away With Murder — a blockbuster that prints money every which way. But since such big hits are increasingly an exception, broadcasters are figuring out new ways to get by.

Owning the shows you air is crucial.

All of the aforementioned alternative revenue streams only kick in if a network has some sort of financial stake in a show. If a series is produced by an outside studio, the network only has one big way to make money from it: selling ad time. That’s fine when a show is a big hit, but with so many series now getting by with modest ratings, broadcasters don’t have any interest in modestly performing shows they can’t fully exploit. That’s why Fox axed Almost Human last season (the show came from Warner Bros. TV) and why ABC pulled the plug on Cristela (which actually improved ABC’s Friday ratings). The downside of this corporate synergy: Some really good pilots may die next week because they were produced by the wrong studio.

Reruns are so 2010.

Except for a few comedies and procedural dramas, the low ratings generated by “encore” showings of programs in prime time increasingly don’t make financial success. Broadcasters will battle rerun fatigue by investing in more first-run hours. In some cases, this might be more new shows (ABC and NBC both rolled out about a dozen freshman series this season, to mixed results). “You need to get more trips to the plate,” one industry analyst says. But it could also mean bringing back bubble shows for limited runs, or splitting seasons into two or three cycles (as Scandal and some ABC serials have done for years).

Much more at the link.

Zalasta

So with a bunch of supposedly canceled series being renewed, does that mean we're going to see a lot less new shows for the coming Fall?

Enosh

looking through the picked up shows for next year, wow everything sounds utterly awful

maybe I'm just getting old but this is the first time in years that I'm not really looking forward to any new show... maybe when trailers come out some of it will look less shit, I hope

Sober

I usually prefer it when the 3-5 minute long trailers for shows come out. I think they sorta do better justice for what the show might be even if it pretty much plays out the pilot really quickly. I never really get a good sense of the show with a trailer full of out of context action scenes and some cryptic voice over (I'm looking at you, Sense8 trailer).

bryanee

Just watched the Forever finale. Man I love this show and I'll be sad if I never see it continued on another network.

Malvingt2

Joe Adalian @TVMoJoe ·
CBS DRAMA ORDERS

Limitless
Rush Hour
Criminal Minds: Beyond Borders
Code Black (@Beloving2 medical drama)

Joe Adalian @TVMoJoe ·
CBS COMEDY ORDERS

Angel from Hell (Jane Lynch)
Life in Pieces (Diane Wiest, @ColinHanks)

both single-cam!

Joe Adalian @TVMoJoe ·
CBS DRAMA ORDERS

Limitless
Rush Hour
Criminal Minds: Beyond Borders
Code Black (@Beloving2 medical drama)

Joe Adalian @TVMoJoe ·
CBS COMEDY ORDERS

Angel from Hell (Jane Lynch)
Life in Pieces (Diane Wiest, @ColinHanks)

both single-cam!
Yes, Rush Hour. Love Bill Lawrence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom