• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014-15 TV Cancellations: Under the Dome canned, what will CBS do with CG cows next?

Status
Not open for further replies.
And Supernatural is the one show left that was grandfathered in with the change to CW. It's basically that Middle Management guy that's been with the business forever. Doesn't perform like they used to but no one will fire them and they refuse to retire. So Constantine doesn't seem like it would have a real chance there even if there was room.

Oh god, the sentences I bolded had me guffawing. That's the perfect description of Supernatural in 2015.

I'll watch until the bitter end. If only Jensen Ackles wasn't so man crush worthy, then maybe I could quit.

Oh god, the sentences I bolded had me guffawing. That's the perfect description of Supernatural in 2015.

I'll watch until the bitter end. If only Jensen Ackles wasn't so man crush worthy, then maybe I could quit.
I tried a season and a half to get into Supernatural and it just wasn't clicking...

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Why "ugh"? I don't get it. If it's good, it's good. If it's bad, it won't change how good movies are. Pilot is written by Bill Lawrence, so i have hope.

It totally misses the point - the only reason anyone gives a shit about the Rush Hour IP is because of Chris Tucker and Jackie Chan. Without them, all you're left with is a generic buddy cop procedural with a "culture clash" premise, which I don't believe is tenable for long form television.

ivysaur12

Banned
Hmm. Just a hunch. And I don't want to throw people into panic mode. But I'm guessing CBS is trying to figure out which bubble show to nix, and since they own almost all their shows... I'd be a bit worried about Person of Interest. Based on nothing. But.

Patryn

Hmm. Just a hunch. And I don't want to throw people into panic mode. But I'm guessing CBS is trying to figure out which bubble show to nix, and since they own almost all their shows... I'd be a bit worried about Person of Interest. Based on nothing. But.

I'm hoping that the holdup is something like they're negotiating an abbreviated final season.

edba091f0d2b58616c8f3757b96f0cd9.jpg

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
To be honest we need two more seasons for PoI, Jonah Nolan has said sometimes that they have plans up until Season 7. Killing the series now would probably fuck many open storylines they have.

Patryn

To be honest we need two more seasons for PoI, Jonah Nolan has said sometimes that they have plans up until Season 7. Killing the series now would probably fuck many open storylines they have.

I guarantee if they get renewed it will be the final season.

Shows that aren't named NCIS don't really grow in their fifth season.

Averon

Supernatural isn't what it was before, but it is still enjoyable enough that I watch every episode. I do agree that it probably needs to end sooner rather than later.

G0523

It also could be about The Odd Couple. I could see them nixing it and ordering one more comedy.
I can see that. Especially since it aired two episodes last night and they were season lows. CBS doesn't want another The Millers situation and Matthew Perry needs to keep his one and done streak.

Malvingt2

I can see that. Especially since it aired two episodes last night and they were season lows. CBS doesn't want another The Millers situation and Matthew Perry needs to keep his one and done streak.

who in hell wanted to watch any comedy after how TBBT end it last night? no comedy could fix our heart last night...... :(

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
You'd be lucky to get another season, at this point. It's not doing great and CBS doesn't own any part of it.

To be honest, it's not like CBS is even trying to get more people interested, the way they schedule episodes confuse even invested fans. It's like they're sabotaging the show. Assholes.

To be honest, it's not like CBS is even trying to get more people interested, the way they schedule episodes confuse even invested fans. It's like they're sabotaging the show. Assholes.

They way the schedule POI is pretty much how they schedule all of their other shows and also how the other major networks schedule most of their shows.

ivysaur12

Banned

I mean, that's how every single broadcast drama is scheduled, outside of ABC. You have 52 weeks in a year (and something like 35 in a TV season) and only 22 episodes to fill.

They way the schedule POI is pretty much how they schedule all of their other shows and also how the other major networks schedule most of their shows.

Yes. Exactly.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Then, damn, all TV broadcasters are assholes!

I mean, that's how every single broadcast drama is scheduled, outside of ABC. You have 52 weeks in a year (and something like 35 in a TV season) and only 22 episodes to fill.

Yes. Exactly.
What he said.
Otherwise you run into the situation that B99 ran into where there was a full month in between new episodes.

Then, damn, all TV broadcasters are assholes!
Do you not understand that there's only so many episodes they can produce?

If you want straight through seasons, cable is over there. Just be prepared for half the amount of episodes.

Malvingt2

Stephen Amell ‏@amellywood
#SaveConstantine -- Hey TV Networks / Netflix and the like... If you pick up the show, I'll guest star.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Do you not understand that there's only so many episodes they can produce?

If you want straight through seasons, cable is over there. Just be prepared for half the amount of episodes.

Let me do jokes, man.

And to be honest, America broadcasts their show way too differently than it's done in my country, so I'm trying to understand this as best as possible.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
How do they broadcast over there?

They generally compromise with 2-4 owned series for the time prime, while in the afternoon they broadcast licensed shows from foreign countries like Brazil and Mexico. Now I do not know much about their ratings, but they've been doing this for quite some while, so I guess it has been working for them.

I also don't remember these channels cancelling one of their owned series, since they almost never work with seasons, apart from reality shows. And they barely change their schedules too. Then again, there are only two privately owned channels here, so it's simple for them to get an audience.

They generally compromise with 2-4 owned series for the time prime, while in the afternoon they broadcast licensed shows from foreign countries like Brazil and Mexico. Now I do not know much about their ratings, but they've been doing this for quite some while, so I guess it has been working for them.
I really meant like what type of shows? How many episodes? Are they big productions or are they like soap opera type?

POI is scheduled a bit worse than most shows IMO. Loads of random gaps that make no sense. Sometimes two shows a month, and sometimes with a two week gap, just because. Sometimes one show a month - for reasons.

I understand a six week break happening in some shows, and even an extra two week break to split episode up even more. I understand splitting the back 9 episode up into maybe three chunks of three when shows do that.

However POI rarely airs three weeks in a row at anytime during the year. Sometimes it is a bunch of singular episodes tossed out at random - even if an arc connects them all

ivysaur12

Banned
POI is scheduled a bit worse than most shows IMO. Loads of random gaps that make no sense. Sometimes two shows a month, and sometimes with a two week gap, just because. Sometimes one show a month - for reasons.

I understand a six week break happening in some shows, and even an extra two week break to split episode up even more. I understand splitting the back 9 episode up into maybe three chunks of three when shows do that.

However POI rarely airs three weeks in a row at anytime during the year. Sometimes it is a bunch of singular episodes tossed out at random - even if an arc connects them all

Nah, that's pretty similar to almost every single show on CBS.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I really meant like what type of shows? How many episodes? Are they big productions or are they like soap opera type?

Soap opera type mostly, in the afternoon. The primetime gets dramas and high profile reality shows. And I can't really say anything about amount of episodes, since each show lasts a lot of time. They can last about 8 months in a row, only having breaks in holidays, weekends, and in the middle of the year.

I think it stinks much more with POI due to its nature. While it's a procedural, it has serialized components in most episodes. Except perhaps this season because of one of the actresses unexpected pregnancy.

Probably. I would not know as POI is the singular one I watch on there. However this extreme level of scattershot scheduling is unique to them then - not something you see on all the major networks. Most of them can at least string together 3 or 4 before a break - which is reasonable. CBS never seems able too even approach that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom