• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014-15 TV Cancellations: Under the Dome canned, what will CBS do with CG cows next?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nudull

Banned
Enter at your own risk.

It's no American Dad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjXjqC-1Kvg

"From Seth MacFarlane..."

nope.gif

Hobbun

PoI AND Hawaiii Five-0 renewed.

So happy to hear this!

And not just for POI, but H50 as well. I was actually more worried about 5-0. This last season was it's weakest, but I would like for it to have good closure. That wouldn't have happened if it stopped here.

Hobbun

I did think it would be moved to Thursday, though. I'm kinda surprised they're keeping it on Wednesday. "We’d be crazy to move it," a FOX exec said. "We want to thank and reward our fans by leaving it in is [sic] timeslot."

[edit] And Fox is working on a new season of 24, heh: http://www.zap2it.com/blogs/fox_developing_another_season_24-2015-05

The question is will Kiefer Sutherland be in it?

http://deadline.com/2015/01/24-no-jack-bauer-kiefer-sutherland-1201352549/

And I remember Kiefer saying he didn't really plan on doing another 24.

Honestly, I can't picture 24 without Jack Bauer.

TripOpt55

Minority Report might make for a solid futuristic procedural.

Lucifer looked better than I expected.

I actually thought the trailer for The Grinder was pretty funny.

The rest didn't do much for me.

Lucifer and Minority Report look good enough to try and watch - although I'm still a little bummed about being psyched for Almost Human and it not pulling through. So I'm not sure I want to invest in Minority Report unless it takes off. Frankenstein Code looks okay, but not sure if the lead is strong enough to make it interesting.

Grandfathered actually looked pretty charming, too. I like John Stamos and Josh Peck, so I may give it a shot.

The rest of them were...eh.

Busty

Banned
That looks like absolute garbage.
Terrible art style, unfunny humor.
Yep, current Seth MacFarlane comedy.

What's even more bizarre is that American Dad did a Mexican episode (Stan furious that Steve plays with toys takes him to Tijuana to loose his virginity) which was more inventive than anything on display in Bordertown and that was just a single episode..., and they have the same executive producer. I think ol' Seth is too rich to give a fuck about his TV projects now. He's going to be a famous film person after that awful comedy Western ..., and Ted, I suppose.

And that art style is really jarring. It's verging on 'Worker and Parasite' in terms of how unpleasant it is to watch. Blargh.

styl3s

Lucifer is the only decent looking show out of that lot but i would rather just have rush back if im being honest. At least that show didn't feel as douche.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

The Frankenstein Code: Awful, generic looking cop procedural with dumb sci-fi twist. Pass.

Grandfathered: Cute concept but it didn't look funny or interesting at all? Besides John Stamos, I'm not sure what the draw is here?

The Grindr: I actually laughed a couple times at the trailer. Seems like it could be fun for a while.

Lucifer: Okay, Tom Ellis really is charismatic as hell. I'm not down with procedurals, yet even I'm tempted to watch for him.

Minority Report: Yet another generic looking cop procedural with a dumb sci-fi twist. Yawn.

Rosewood: The lead seems affable and there looks to be a nice dynamic between him and his female partner (it reminded me a bit of a less silly Jake and Amy in B99). Outside of that though, it looks to be your pretty standard medical/cop procedural, so I can't be bothered to care.

Bordertown: Putrid fucking garbage with an ugly as shit artsyle.

The Grinder - awesome. Rob Lowe is good, synopsis is funny and original, there isn't a lot of humor in the trailer, but overall atmosphere and impression are good.
Lucifer - it looks good visually. But Tom Ellis just plays his character from Rush 1:1. he talks the same, dresses the same, behaves the same and even drives the same car, or just a very similar one. I don't like Lauren German. Overall i'm interested, we'll see.
Grandfathered - not impressed. Pass.
Minority Report - actors with 0 charisma. No budget at all. Looks bad.
The Frankenstein Code - meh. The girl is hot though.
Rosewood - i liked it. Good chemistry between characters, humor, Miami. Should be a good, light procedural, like Forever.

beat

Lucifer doesn't look bad. Though I haven't read the comics, so I don't know how it compares to them.

I'm going to continue to be super disappointed. Mazikeen doesn't seem to have her key thing -- which I realize would be off-putting -- and it's overall just massively wrong to turn Lucifer into a slightly more devilish Castle*. The whole thing about the comics as I understood them is that he really only wants free will and freedom from God's plan**, and really doesn't care one way or the other about what humans do. (OK, except for the ones who personally affect him, but you're not going to build a procedural out of killing all his friends in LA, because again, he doesn't really have a lot of human friends.)

* I haven't watched Castle, but you know what I mean, amateur guy teams up with detective.

** OK, to be honest, the best part of the comics is the world-building, and the worst is Lucifer's character arc, because he doesn't really have one: the many events of the comic don't really change him in any way.

maxcriden

PoI 13 episodes, most likely final season.

13, surprising. Figured it was for a full season order. Glad to get even 13 though, should make for a good opportunity to wrap up, a la the extremely satisfying final season of another great Abrams-produced show.

(I'm talking about Fringe, ofc.)

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
You guys should be glad PoI is getting a final half-season to wrap things up rather than being unceremoniously canceled. It's been on for several seasons and has been suffering in the ratings for the last year.

Armadilo

Banned
These Trailers are awful and would even say they look cheap, it's like these channels don't even believe that they have a chance

Grinder could be amusing. Might check that one out.

Honestly I'll probably watch Blindspot and/or The Player before Minority Report.

The rest of the new Fox lineup is meh.

Really glad The Odd Couple was renewed. That show is hilarious... And it's actually Felix who is knocking it out of the park.

I also just noticed I do not watch a single ABC show.

Armadilo

Banned
Let's all cross our fingers that it's Bordertown.

I like that they are trying to do more animation to add to Sunday since it seems their Sunday animation is coming to an end, before it was the thing that made you stay up for to watch a new episode late night on Sunday. If Family Guy was coming out today people would treat it the same as Bordertown, Family guy might not be as popular as before but I like that it exists when theirs not much like it.

Wiktor

From those Fox promos:

Frankenstein - looks a bit generic, but the lead seems very fun, like really caveman-like :D Might be nice if they push towards mythology with other creatures roaming around. If they stick to just him then I doubt it will be nice.

Lucifer - nothing like comics, at all. But it seems promising. It looks beautiful, the guy playing Lucifer seems to be having a total blast and the "Lucifer Morningstar? Is that your real name" "God given, I'm afraid" line made me laugh more than any of the upfronys comedy promos :D. overall it seems to be quite funny. Again...this seems like a show that will live or die based on how much serialized elements/mythology it will introduce. But unlike Frankenstein this promo already had signs of those, with angels pestering him to return and demons and evil souls running away from hell. Still..hard to judge, considering new showrunner will take over from Ep2.

Minority Report seems like it could be set in Almost Human world. Very similiar style and atmosphere. But I don't see anything ther that could pull me in for the longer run, since even the leads seem pretty boring.

Rosewood - meh. Looks very generic and the twist doesn't help much. Plus it's sad that Anthony Michael Hall has been reduced to playing an ageing police captain. Could somebody in all the sequels/reboots insanity please give this man a new season of Dead Zone? :(

Overall..the obvious pattern is that if you use genre elements you need to build mythology and do serialized storylines inside procedural episodes. Lack of that is what killed Almost Human and Gotham got a lot better once they started to introduce serialized elements. From those promos Lucifer seems like it might have the longest legs and turn out into something interesting, especially since the showrunner knows how to mix procedural and serialized well. But we'lll see.

I try to watch pretty much everything genre for one or two episodes, to give it a chance anyway:D

The Frankenstein Code: I watched it 30 minutes ago and I cant even remember what it was about. Some ripoff of something?

Grandfathered: Will be successful. Not my cup of tea but I see a solid 40 year old fanbase

The Grindr: Will be successful. Not my cup of tea but I see a solid 30 year old fanbase

Lucifer: Better than what Ivy suggested.

Minority Report: So it's exactly the same as Tru Calling, but theyre slapping on the name of a movie nobody remembers anymore? I don't get it. I get theyre saving money by using the Almost Human props.

Rosewood: I thought CSI:Miami was cancelled. Leads look good though.

Bordertown: Jesus fuck lets hope it gets pushed to 2017

----
Absolutely nothing for me, but a much stronger lineup than NBC. Is TV dead?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom