• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014-15 TV Cancellations: Under the Dome canned, what will CBS do with CG cows next?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beant

I know absolutely nothing about this topic so I come to you all. Is The Comedians on FX in danger? The ratings don't seem too hot (neither does the show at times). Was a lot of potential there but I am just not seeing it come together like I thought it would.

Wiktor

A lot of the talent has moved to cable I guess. It's a lot more spread out.

Yep. Even small cable channels are getting in on the action and there's also more and more digitial sources that want their own content.
I've heard couple years back that the whole TV indistry has huge lack of showrunners. It's incredibly hard job to pull of and can be only learned when under other showrunner's wings and networks screwed it up. They just didn't raise a new generation of showrunners.

It seems to be slowly getting better and you can see people from one good show spreading to being showrunners on couple shows. Or complete newbies getting co-showrunner for a year before they go on their own. But all those improvements are still slower than the rapid expansion of number of shows being made.

A lot of the talent has moved to cable I guess. It's a lot more spread out.

What bothers me is how many good concept shows got destroyed by shit writing. Like absolute shit. Middle school tier writing (I'm looking at you, angsty teenage love drama on a flying carpet).

Remember Terra Nova? That could have been great. Fantastic concept. High budget. Shit writing = fast cancellation. (Angsty teenage love drama, check)

Revolution? That could have been great. Fantastic concept. High budget. Shit writing = medium speed cancellation. (Angsty teenage love drama, check)

Almost Human? That could have been great. Fantastic concept. High budget. Shit writing = fast cancellation.

The River? That could have been great. Fantastic concept. A budget. Shit writing = fast cancellation.

Hieroglyph? That could have been great. Fantastic concept. High budget. And I assume shit writing = why it never aired

Day One? That could have been great. Fantastic concept. High budget. And I assume shit writing = why it never aired

So now we're stuck with a bunch of cookie cutter procedurals that are stealing the entire plot from Tru Calling and John Doe. Oh, shows that were also quickly cancelled. WHAT COULD GO WRONG. (And I fucking loved Tru Calling, fuck you Fox for cancelling it)

Why not spend less money on whatever they spend too much money on and hire writers that can actually write?

Is time part of the issue? Maybe picked up in May -> Air in September isn't enough time. Rather than have so many one and done flops, why not give the writers another month to get their shit together?

Maybe that way, once September hits, the entire season has actually been properly planned out, and 10 episodes have already been filmed (and edited as necessary). Hell, throw in some time to get people to review it and say "fix this fucking plot hole" and "can the fucking teen angst"

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I know absolutely nothing about this topic so I come to you all. Is The Comedians on FX in danger? The ratings don't seem too hot (neither does the show at times). Was a lot of potential there but I am just not seeing it come together like I thought it would.

I don't follow the show and I don't keep up with the ratings, so I'll have to dig around...

Looks like its ratings are decent but not great, and I imagine it must be quite expensive given the two all star leads. It's not doing well critically either and there's no buzz or anything so I'd say it's probably not looking good, but then again, it might be doing well on VoD and maybe FX sees room for growth next season.

It's kind of hard to say.

I don't follow the show and I don't keep up with the ratings, so I'll have to dig around...

Looks like its ratings are decent but not great, and I imagine it must be quite expensive given the two all star leads. It's not doing well critically either and there's no buzz or anything so I'd say it's probably not looking good, but then again, it might be doing well on VoD and maybe FX sees room for growth next season.

It's kind of hard to say.
What Ratsky said.
Cable is very hard to predict.

Toothless

The Frankenstein Code - I actually liked it? Think it'd be a cool concept for cable, but on Fox, I'll give it a whirl.

Grandfathered - really turned me off at the beginning but the combination of Josh Peck and some very slight hints at visual comedy makes me put this on my "Wait for Reviews" list rather than "Avoid" list.

The Grinder - I really like the cast but the subject matter is eh... I don't know yet. Funny how both this and Grandfathered seem more like Disney movies than TV shows.

Lucifer - looks potentially fun, but not my type of show, especially since it'd become a procedural.

Minority Report - could be good, could be a procedural. I'll wait until the first season is done before jumping on board if I do.

Rosewood - It looks like a fun guilty pleasure. I'll try it out.

Bordertown - no

Toothless

Him and his writing partner are hired at staff writer level

Jealous! If I got to be on any show (studying right now to be a screenwriter/work in the industry), the Muppets would probably be my most wanted show to work on (no pun intended).

Congrats to him though!

Corpekata

Banned
Yeesh at those Fox dramas. Generic is about the kindest description I could give one (Rosewood). The non-animated comedies look pleasant enough.

I wish the networks would take more risks with serialized dramas instead of the procedural. I can't seem to care about any of the shows knowing that we're going to get bad guy of the week stories, especially when there's a ton of potential for serialized affair like with Lucifer, Minority Report, Blindspot

Armadilo

Banned
would you guys say that their is less competition with tv shows then films to make it in the entertainment industry ? You go to a school you can either learn about films or shows, this is for your future, your career to make a living. What do you choose ?

Palmer_v1

They'll bring Hieroglyph back only to cancel it again just to fuck with you.

90pYA8B.jpg

Have they put this girl in anything else yet?

Slayven

Like Frankenstein Code, sucker for cheesy scifi

Lucifer looks fun

Will watch Minrotiy report for the Female Alpha/Beta Male ness

Rosewood, snore

The Grinder? The jokes will flow.

Good lord. This was published???

As someone who's not on the industry, what exactly was so ridiculous about what they said? Seemed to make sense to me, but again, I have no clue.

A little disappointed POI only gets 13 episodes, but it should be enough to wrap it up satisfyingly.

beat

The idea that New Girl doesn't work in syndication because it's a show about a woman goes against a host of successes in syndication, like Mary Tyler Moore, Golden Girls, Roseanne, etc. It's not very successful in syndication because it's not very popular in its first run.
That's fair. Overall I thought the THR piece was a bit crass but hardly as offensively dumb as the anonymous Oscar voter pieces they've run in the past.

ivysaur12

Banned
Secrets & Lies will take over for Nashville during its split season.
Galavant will take over for Once Upon a Time during its split season.
The Family will go to Sundays once Oil finishes.
American Crime will go on Sundays once Of Kings and Prophets finishes.
Uncle Buck will do the same with Dr. Ken.

I'm assuming the same is true for Agent Carter.

Penguin

Secrets & Lies will take over for Nashville during its split season.
Galavant will take over for Once Upon a Time during its split season.
The Family will go to Sundays once Oil finishes.
American Crime will go on Sundays once Of Kings and Prophets finishes.
Uncle Buck will do the same with Dr. Ken.

I'm assuming the same is true for Agent Carter.

An interesting strategy

Means mostly always new shows on.

And from Carter/Galavant renewals, I guess not as much is expected?

Oh, and The Catch will take over for How to Get Away With Murder once it wraps season 2.
And Wicked City will take over for Quantico.
It's interesting, so instead of waiting to see if the show is performing good enough for a full season order, ABC is going to show several shows in the same timeslot with shorter 13-15 episode seasons from the get go.

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
I guess I should go watch American Crime now that it's gonna come back. It was good, but I got really busy a couple episodes in and stopped watching.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom