• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014-15 TV Cancellations: Under the Dome canned, what will CBS do with CG cows next?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joni

The trailer gives very little hope, but they hopefully skimped budget on that because it is not something from the show itself.

That would be a good idea. The show has been running on fumes for seasons.

Oh, and The Catch will take over for How to Get Away With Murder once it wraps season 2.
Makes sense, Shonda nights remain popular. But they should try to get as much as possible out of both shows. Run them both without interruptions.

bryehn

Yeah, I think I'm okay with Muppets. WTF is Uncle Buck with Mike Epps? Can't see the trailers from that link in Canada.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Yep, Muppets looks pretty OK. I wish it were airing at a time that's better for me, though.

Quantico looks like it should be a movie. I don't know how they'll fit all of that premise in the pilot episode. It seems like the protagonist is blackballed pretty quickly, so why would the show be named for the academy she's blackballed from?

Wicked City looks really quite good, well shot too, which is in stark contast to most of trailers of the past couple days.

And it goes without saying the Muppets looks great too.

Pachimari

Yeah, that's what they're saying. Supergirl trailer at the CBS upfronts. Dunno if it is true though, I have only seen one report it on Twitter.

ivysaur12

Banned
Of those ABC trailers: YASS MUPPETS, The Real O'Neals gave me PTSD (and got a few chuckles out of me), Wicket City looks like a good limited series (but like, the plot of a movie), while The Family, head and shoulders, looks like the best of the bunch.

Good job, ABC.

Oh one more thing, Supergirl trailer tomorrow?
I think I read about it on Twitter.
Yes.

Trailer Impressions:
The Family- Still confused on the concept a bit but it looks interesting.

Oil - Meh. I'll check it out later in the season.

The Real O'Neals - Could be interesting. Will definitely watch the first couple of episodes.
Also nice to see the Raising Hope actress on another show.

The Muppets - Yes. Everything about this is awesome. Will watch for sure.

Quantico - Maybe. I'm not really feeling it.

Uncle Buck - This looks hilarious. Will definitely watch. Mike Epps is funny as hell to me.

Wicked City - I liked it. Interesting lead.

ABC somehow always has the most shows that I want to watch each season.

Matush

I actually liked almost every trailer for ABC (maybe expect Oil and Of Kings and Prophets, I don't like historical show), sure, some of them sounds dumb (Quantico), but I'm sure to look out for The Catch, The Family and Wicked City. I'll also try all of the sitcoms. ABC suprised me actually, after last two days and promos from FOX and NBC I thought that we would get another meh year, we will see tomorrow what CBS brings.

NimbusD

I'm bored at work so:

FOX shows:

Frankenstein Code: Another show that the concept on paper sounds like I'd totally love it, but as usual they squish it into a 'tried and true' (aka boring) tv formula that means I'll never watch it. Unless it turns out to be crazy like Sleepy Hollow.

Grandfathered: Uh, opposite of above. On paper I'd have no interest in this show, but the mixture of John Stamos nastalgia and light comedy/feel goodness actually has me interested.

The Grinder: Well, it looks like it has potential but it's gonna be a rough start. Fred (Ben? too lazy to google) Savage just doesn't look like he's up to snuff for the type of comedy they're going for and there doesnt' seem to be great chemistry between him and Rob Lowe. Lowe looks funny as always but he'll be doing it on his own.

Lucifer - Oh, huh. Didn't expect to like this. Seems like it has a nice mix of comedy and something more serious looming. I like that mix. Leads don't really jump out at me as all that charismatic, but writing can make up for that either way.

Minority Report - On the fence. I would love for this to work out and be good... but I just don't see anything like this working on network TV. It'll get bogged down in episodic storytelling and avoiding the main storyline. Prove me wrong Fox.

Rosewood - Well, couldn't make it through the trailer. Good luck to it, I'm sure it'll do decently, being a procedural and all. I like the main actor so I'm sure he'll carry it well.

Bordertown - Another surprise? I think? About halfway through the trailer my thoughts went from 'eh, I'll watch it if it's on, just like current simpsons/family guy." to "wtf these jokes are funny?". I think it's after they got past all of the obvious race stuff. I mean, the humor's still pretty basic, 'lolz I don't want to sleep with my wife lolz', but the execution was funny. Will live and die by it's gags that's for sure. Probably die. I'm realizing I just had such low expectations I might be tricked into liking it.

ABC Shows:

The Catch: Much in the same vein of How to Get Away With Murder or Scandal, my girlfriend will love it and I won't understand why.

Dr. Ken: Awww, fuck. I was excited. Then I realize it's multicam. Then the first joke is a lazy fat joke. And the second joke is a lazy fat joke. And the third joke isn't even a joke but is vaguely racist? They really hyped the beginning of the trailer with how crazy Ken can be in his roles only to show him in what looks like the most boring role possible for him. Another actor that I hope, for his sake, that his show is successful.

The Family - Didn't finish it. Bored.

Kings & Prophets - Did a decent job apeing the GoT feel, but ultimately looks cheap because... well it's a network show. Biblical stuff isn't for me anyway.

The muppets - fuck yeah! With the exception of the fact that I didn't laugh once, I love it. I'll give this show a million chances to work. Dear god I hope those voices grow on me though, they all sound like such lazy imitations of their original voices.

OIL - zero interest in this.

Quantico - I think I'll actually watch this. One of the few shows out of all these trailers with a female lead and she looks like she'll do fine carrying this show. That's not saying it doesn't look cheesy as hell.

The Real O'Neals - man, so few comedies in this lineup so far. This looks very promising. Dealing with a gay character in a network comedy that doesn't make horrible lazy gay jokes the thing that's 'funny'? Definitely worth a watch.

Uncle Buck - Probably a show I won't watch, but the dude who plays uncle buck looks pretty funny.

Wicked City - Yeesh. Looks boring. I'm not sure what the hook is supposed to be. Serial killer who preys on women. Rape. Necrophelia. Ooo, edgy?

Jesus, I feel exhausted watching all of those trailers. Network television, man. Overall I'm left wondering where all the comedies and female led shows went. A lot of really boring stuff here. Even the stuff that looks good doesn't look all that interesting on paper.

mm04

I'll watch the Muppets for the simple fact that Wynn Duffy is in the trailer. Also, the speed of the trailer must be high because Jere Burns does not sound like that normally either.

Quantico - awesome. HTGAWM of this season. FBI students instead of law students and terrorist plot instead of a murder. Will definitely watch.
The Catch - new show from Shonda. Trailer is ok. Will watch.
Wicked City - interesting lead. Looks beautiful, especially at night, will watch,
Oil - looks pretty, will wait for reviews.
The Muppers - trailer didn't impress me, but i will watch, i'm sure it will be fun.

beat

The Grinder: Well, it looks like it has potential but it's gonna be a rough start. Fred (Ben? too lazy to google) Savage just doesn't look like he's up to snuff for the type of comedy they're going for and there doesnt' seem to be great chemistry between him and Rob Lowe. Lowe looks funny as always but he'll be doing it on his own.
Fred Savage has an incredible resume as far as directing sitcoms over the last five-ten years. Hopefully that means he gets comedy.

Also, I don't get what you mean about having what it takes. He's in the straight man role. From what little I saw there, I don't think Dave Foley or Jason Bateman could have done much more with the material.

NimbusD

Fred Savage has an incredible resume as far as directing sitcoms over the last five-ten years. Hopefully that means he gets comedy.

Also, I don't get what you mean about having what it takes. He's in the straight man role. From what little I saw there, I don't think Dave Foley or Jason Bateman could have done much more with the material.

It seems like they're going for a type of comedy that's popular lately with the quickly delivered lines that takes a certain delivery to nail that it doesn't look like he's quite hitting on the few jokes of his present in the trailer. Not saying he doesn't have comedic chops or they won't find out how to make his character work opposite Rob Low. But Rob Lowe does excel at it, so they have that going for them. I mean, I've only seen a few minutes of a trailer so who knows, just my impression thus far.

beat

Dr. Ken: Awww, fuck. I was excited. Then I realize it's multicam. Then the first joke is a lazy fat joke. And the second joke is a lazy fat joke. And the third joke isn't even a joke but is vaguely racist? They really hyped the beginning of the trailer with how crazy Ken can be in his roles only to show him in what looks like the most boring role possible for him. Another actor that I hope, for his sake, that his show is successful.
This show looks super terrible and is almost definitely going to be an embarrassment for both Jeong and Dave Foley. I'll skip the first episode, catch the second only because of Asian-American obligation*, and then I'll see whether or not to stick with it.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Are there seriously 4 seasons of Scandal already?
Is it worth following up on?

Yes, there are four seasons of Scandal. No, it's not worth following up on. Maybe watch the first two seasons if you like over the top soap operas, but after the second season ends drop it.

Muppets looks amazing! Can't wait for that.

Quantico looks pretty good too, although I can't determine whether it's because the overall plot looks interesting or the fact that the lead is one of the most gorgeous women I've ever seen in my life.

EDIT: The Real O'Neals looks funny as well. Like the lead kid, he has a lot of charm.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

The Catch: Yep, it's a Shondaland show. And like those other shows, it looks like it could be fun for at least a season or two before it goes wildly off the rails.

Dr. Ken: It looks like your standard multi-cam. Whatever.

The Family: This seems like a concept better suited to the miniseries format. I have no idea how they'd keep this going for an entire season, much less multiple ones. Maybe it's an anthology series? Anyway, it looks properly over dramatic and soapy. This year's 'Betrayal'?

The Muppets: The trailer was cute, I guess. I was never really a fan of The Muppets (except as a small child), so I doubt this will be for me. I might still check out an episode or two to see if it grabs me,
but only because it's one of the highest profile shows of the year and everyone else will be watching it.

Of Kings and Prophets: I love me some period pieces, and I'm always excited by the prospect of seeing Biblical stories told through a secular lense, so I have hopes for this. The trailer made it look a bit cheap, but I'm enchanted by the idea of a Biblical soap opera, so I'll probably check it out unless reviews are awful. The key art is hideous btw

Oil: This isn't what I was hoping it'd be at all. It looks like a generic ABC soap, only set in an oil boom town.

Quantico: How to Get Away with Murder: FBI Edition. ABC really has this genre on lock, don't they? And again, seems like a concept better suited to a miniseries.

The Real O'Neals: I thought this looked pretty solid, even laughed a couple times. I'll probably check it out.

Uncle Buck: Awful.

Wicked City: Worse version of 'The Fall' with a generic cast and a horrible rendition of "Do You Really Want to Hurt Me". No thanks.

ABC > NBC > Fox

TripOpt55

ABC's slate of dramas looks pretty good. Not sure what will end up being good or what I'll watch, but the concepts are at least interesting. The Family and Wicked City are the best looking I guess. I'd probably try those plus The Catch and Quantico. Oil looks bad though.

The Muppets looks good. The other comedies didn't do much for me. And Dr. Ken looks particularly awful.

Toothless

Trailer reactions:

Scream - ... I kinda expected more of an actual trailer?

The Catch - I'm not into Shonda-land, and this looks more like a movie than a show.

Dr. Ken - Jeong gets annoying fast and nothing in this looked that amusing to me.

The Family - This looked generic at first, but then they threw in like 80 complications and Rupert Graves... IDK, I actually think it looks fun in a trashy way.

Of Kings and Monsters - Nope. Even with Ray Winstone... nope.

The Muppets - YES YES YESSS. Looks even better than I expected.

Oil - cool concept and it looks different so I might try it.

Quantico - Dougray Scott... :lol: Not my tempo.

The Real O'Neals - Looks kinda confused in tone... could be good, but it's a toss-up really...

Uncle Buck - I'll admit I chuckled a bit but I don't see myself enjoying this as a weekly thing.

Wicked City - another dull one...

Is it just me, or does the "handsome" "jock" older brother in The Real O'Neals look, um, rather miscast?

Granted, I haven't watched the trailer with the sound on yet (work), so maybe this is a plot point of some sort.

Valhelm

contribute something

Cool. The Catch looks sleek and well-produced, but I don't expect it to be particularly noteworthy. Dr. Ken looks unredeemable, with characters even more generic than the Big Bang Theory. That being said, it's awesome to see more Asian American representation. That makes this a good alternative to the Goldbergs or whatever three-camera sitcoms are on the air now.

The Family looks melodramatic, but has a very cool premise. Something tells me it's a response to both Gone Girl and Broadchurch. But it's disappointing to see such a major twist revealed in the trailer. There's nothing much to say about Of Kings and Prophets. Looks like another middle-budget Biblical drama probably trying to capture some of the Game of Thrones audience.

The Muppets looks cute, but I doubt it will be more than that. Oil seems a little interesting, a and it's a really cool setting that I've never seen explored in the media before. It looks like a continuation of ABC's darker turn, following the phenomenal ongoing drama American Crime. I doubt Oil will match its quality.

Quantico looks cool! But I'm a sucker for anything cinematic. A South Asian woman protagonist is a cool change of pace, and the plot seems kind of new. The Real O'Neals looks bad, but I like that it has actual camerawork. It's nice to see a show about a gay teen, I suppose?

Uncle Buck seems okay. I'm not a fan of TV adaptations, especially of 30-year-old films, but black representation is cool, especially of a middle class family. That being said, it doesn't seem like any other series has a single noteworthy black character? That's a bit suspect. Wicked City probably captured my interest more than any other new show, and looks like a possible attempt to compete with the cable big boys. I'm skeptical of how far the series will go with the crime and disturbing content simply because of the network, but this is a bold move on ABC's part. I'm reminded of Zodiac, a movie I adore, and it's interesting to see a horror thriller come to television.

This is much better than the usually ABC fare, and I laud the network's decision to push the boundaries of network television. Here's hoping that Wicked City and The Family aren't much worse than their trailers suggest.

Corpekata

Banned
ABC's dramas look better than Fox but a lot of them seem like TV movie or miniseries length, not long running shows.

Dr. Ken looks like something the type of hacky sitcom Community would make fun of when they have write Jeong out of the show.

Is it just me, or does the "handsome" "jock" older brother in The Real O'Neals look, um, rather miscast?

Granted, I haven't watched the trailer with the sound on yet (work), so maybe this is a plot point of some sort.

He's barely in the trailer and what little he is is talking about the fact he's got an eating disorder so probably plot related.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom