• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014-15 TV Cancellations: Under the Dome canned, what will CBS do with CG cows next?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
All* of NBC's dramas look like action films

All* of ABC's dramas look like miniseries

All* of Fox's dramas look like generic procedurals with a sci-fi twist

CBS? CW? Stay tuned!

Sober

No, Fox's new dramas look like procedurals with a sci-fi twist to them. Because they can't get enough of sci-fi fans getting mad at them. And because Firefly because reasons.

VanWinkle

Hmm...I was really excited about The Grinder when I heard the description and that it stars Rob Lowe and Fred Savage, but that trailer kind of killed all of my hype.

ABC > FOX > NBC

Also, I can't believe I'm saying this, but ABC went overboard with the minorities.

From zero to like every show in 2 seasons. Two black sitcoms? Two Asian sitcoms?

Its great, but it is also blatantly transparent. I just wish this stuff could be more organic and natural rather than so forced.

Who is the lead for Quantico, that girl is gorgeous. Will watch just for her.

Priyanka Chopra (pronounced [prɪˈjaːŋkaː ˈtʃoːpɽaː];[2] born 18 July 1982) is an Indian film actress and singer, and the winner of the Miss World pageant of 2000. Through her film career, Chopra has become one of Bollywood's highest-paid actresses and one of the most popular and high-profile celebrities in India. She has received numerous accolades, including a National Film Award for Best Actress and Filmfare Awards in four categories.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Priyanka_Chopra

ABC > FOX > NBC

Also, I can't believe I'm saying this, but ABC went overboard with the minorities.

From zero to like every show in 2 seasons. Two black sitcoms? Two Asian sitcoms?

Its great, but it is also blatantly transparent. I just wish this stuff could be more organic and natural rather than so forced.
Which shows are you interested in?

Corpekata

Banned
What is the nautral and organic way for making shows starring minorities? They have two hits on their hands and are trying to expand that audience. That seems like pretty normal TV station behavior to me.

What is the nautral and organic way for making shows starring minorities? They have two hits on their hands and are trying to expand that audience. That seems like pretty normal TV station behavior to me.

Fox did it organically, and they were rewarded with Empire.

ABC feels like "oh shit this show was popular because it has minorities so lets make more!"

It's the same piss poor logic as "this show failed because it had minorities let's never do it again!"

It's like how in cinema you hear that they won't make an action movie with a lead female character because that one Catwoman didnt do well.

I really enjoyed the Muppets trailer so definitely going to watch that in the fall though I still need to check out the rest of the ABC trailers as well as the other networks.

Seems that The Family will be airing in the spring, if it's taking over Oil's spot, so I'll probably check it out as well once it airs. Just hoping that there are a few more twists that weren't revealed in the trailer.

Other than that, I'm glad for more Agent Carter as well as more S.H.I.E.L.D. coming in the next year.

Toothless

The Family could have been great but the trailer spoiled everything so never mind

I feel like The Family's trailer only spoils the pilot for some reason. I think I'll try to get into that just because it seems like a good soapy show to try to follow live for the first time. It looks fun, at least.

ivysaur12

Banned
I feel like The Family's trailer only spoils the pilot for some reason. I think I'll try to get into that just because it seems like a good soapy show to try to follow live for the first time. It looks fun, at least.

Because the pilot's the only thing that's been filmed :p

Sober

Aren't those trailers also for advertisers? So they get a better sense of what they're aiming for if they get a general sense of the pilot.

Wiktor

The Family could have been great but the trailer spoiled everything so never mind

That's the point of upfronts trailers. They release them publically, but AFAIR in reality theyre meant for advertisers, so they're spoilerly because they're supposed to give you condensed episode in few minutes.

THey only cover pilots though, so no worries about those trailers spoiling anything from later eps.

He's barely in the trailer and what little he is is talking about the fact he's got an eating disorder so probably plot related.

Yeah, it's just kinda weird that ABC's own press materials describe him as a "handsome" "varsity wrestler" when he looks about as schlubby as the teen kid on The Goldbergs.

Quantico looks like crap, mostly, but I do like that they made the cute nerdy guy gay.

Wiktor

I wonder if Rush Hour will be any good? We'll see today.

has the recent trend of turning movie IPs into shows produced any flop? There must be something, but I just can't think of any to be honest. As bad of an idea as it seems, it has worked so damn well in recent couple years.

Well, yeah, I know that. :p was just explaining so that the guy didn't think he was totally spoiled.

Heh, which makes tv trailers a bit more fun than movie trailers since they only spoil up to a point (which is basically just the pilot itself).

But yes, I'm interested to see if they can maintain the plot points for an entire season versus had they gone with like a miniseries or something.

Also I'm happy seeing Rupert on tv again, though technically it won't be until next spring.

Corpekata

Banned
has the recent trend of turning movie IPs into shows produced any flop? There must be something, but I just can't think of any to be honest. As bad of an idea as it seems, it has worked so damn well in recent couple years.

About a Boy was just cancelled.

I don't know if overall I'd say it's working that well really. It seems to produce a lot of mid tier shows but very few are outstanding critically or ratings wise (save things like Fargo and Parenthood and even those don't seem to get a lot of attention).

Corpekata

Banned
Yeah...but wasn't it actually pretty good? Didn't watch it, but that's what I've heard. By flops I meant critically ,not commercially.

It seemed to be met with relative indifference.

As far as critical flops there's 12 Monkeys. But really in general the trend seems to largely be middle of the road as far as critical reception goes.

Wiktor

It seemed to be met with relative indifference.

As far as critical flops there's 12 Monkeys. But really in general the trend seems to largely be middle of the road as far as critical reception goes.

What? 12 Monkeys got great reviews. At least everywhere I visit. It's shockingly good considering what people expected before it launched.

Corpekata

Banned
What? 12 Monkeys got great reviews. At least everywhere I visit. It's shockingly good considering what people expected before it launched.

It's sitting at a 57 metascore and a 61 on rotten tomatoes, which is pretty bad as sites like RT are honestly usually way kinder to shows than they are to movies (see the dozens of shows sitting in the 90s). It's probably one of the worst reviewed shows that got a renewal.

Karu

It's sitting at a 57 metascore and a 61 on rotten tomatoes, which is pretty bad as sites like RT are honestly usually way kinder to shows than they are to movies (see the dozens of shows sitting in the 90s). It's probably one of the worst reviewed shows that got a renewal.
I didn't check, but don't they often just list the pilot reviews?

Corpekata

Banned
I didn't check, but don't they often just list the pilot reviews?

It depends. Usually it's just the first few episodes, yes. But my point is really that TV reviewers are far kinder in general. They are like game reviewers, they rarely use anything but the upper tier of the ratings. So for something to get shitty ratings on a site like RT it has to be notably bad. Frigging Gotham is in the 90s even.

Wiktor

Both are useless at rating shows because most of the reviews they have are for two first episodes. If you look at sites that did episode by episode reviews (like IGN or AVClub) it's got surpringly good reviews.
Honestly, if you like more ambitious and hard sf this is one of the best shows that was released in quite some time.

Corpekata

Banned
Both are useless at rating shows because most of the reviews they have are for two first episodes. If you look at sites that did episode by episode reviews (like IGN or AVClub) it's got surpringly good reviews.

AVclub admits to having poor ratings and tailors them to the show. What doesn't get As and Bs there? Literally everything on their TV club home page right now is B- or higher. They aren't saying the season finale of Once Upon a Time was nearly as good as the penultimate episode of Mad Men. That Once episode might have an A- rating but it would be daft to say the show is in the good graces of critics anymore.

Pluto

I already love The Muppets and The Real O'Neills looks interesting, the actress who plays the daughter was awesome on The New Normal. But I'm not sure having the older son be anorexic is a good idea for a comedy, unless they have the actor lose a lot of weight it's just going to be jokes about not eating without any real consequences for the character and I'm not sure if that's a message they want to send. Although I have to admit I chuckled at him blurting out "I have a eating disorder!" again at the end of the trailer.

Lets make it official.

FOX
The Frankenstein Code: Concept is semi-interesting and the main dude is handsome. Not semi-interesting/handsome enough for me to watch it though. (Though if I had to choose anything new from FOX it would be this.)
Grandfathered: Don't care for the premise. Pass.
The Grinder: The dialogue is tedious and the concept is silly in a boring way. No.
Lucifer: A potentially interesting concept, but the execution looks really bad. Nope.
Minority Report: Never saw the movie so I can't say if this is an improvement or not, but the trailer did the premise no favors. Pass.
Rosewood: It's interesting to see Morris Chestnut play this type of character since he's usually the stoic guy. (At least from what I've seen of him.) Procedurals generally do nothing for me and this looks to be no exception. Pass.
Bordertown: Awful. No.

ABC
The Catch: Not quite sure how this has enough substance to be a series from what they've shown, but I really liked what I saw of Mireille Enos in the trailer so I'll give it a shot.
Dr. Ken: Didn't laugh once. The kid from Trophy Wife seems wasted here. No.
The Family: At first I was intrigued, but as the trailer went on I quickly lost interest. Pass.
Of Kings & Prophets: Looks super budget/SyFy and not in a fun way. Still looking for a sword and sandal epic to fill Spartacus' shoes and I doubt this will be it. Pass. (Oliver Rix is gorgeous though.)
The Muppets: Dig the concept, and I'm always happy to see The Muppets back on TV. I'll check it out for sure. (Though most of the voices didn't quite fit, I hope they work on that.)
Oil: Dallas clone without any of the things that made Dallas enjoyable. No.
Quantico: Interesting concept with a really magnetic lead. Will watch.
The Real O'Neals: I want to like this, and parts of the trailer made me laugh, but it didn't quite do it for me. A tentative yes.
Uncle Buck: Did nothing for me. No.
Wicked City: This looks gross. Not sure why it's a series as opposed to a mini-series. The trailer should of given much more attention to the people catching the murderer. Definite no.

NBC
Blindspot: I love Jaimie Alexander but this looks boring. I always feel bad for actors that get these "tattooed all over" parts, must be really tedious. Pass.
Heartbreaker: Grey's Anatomy redux? Not particularly into medical dramas anymore. Pass. (The cast is very pretty though.)
Heroes Reborn: Not again. No.
People Are Talking: ...but I'm not watching. Pass.
The Player: I like Philip Winchester and when I first read about this it sounded interesting, but the trailer makes it seem like a procedural. I hope not. Maybe?

So Quantico, The Muppets and The Catch, and maybe The Real O'Neals & The Player. (And maaaaaaaaaybe The Frankenstein Code.)

Corpekata

Banned
I think with Wicked City they're trying to go for The Fall vibes and the killer got a lot of the trailer simply because he's probably the only actor on the show that has much of a following. IIRC it actually is sort of a miniseries, it's going to be one of those True Detective type shows with a new cast every year.

CBS guesses. This will be the hardest one, for sure:

Sundays:

7 - 60 Minutes
8 - Madam Secretary
9 - The Good Wife
10 - Elementary

Mondays:

8 - 2 Broke Girls
8:30 - ANGEL FROM HELL
9 - Scorpion
10 - NCIS: Los Angeles

Tuesdays:

8 - NCIS
9 - NCIS: New Orleans
10 - CSI: CYBER

Wednesday:

8 - Survivor
9 - Criminal Minds
10 - CODE BLACK

Thursday:

8 - The Big Bang Theory
8:30 - LIFE IN PIECES
9 - Mom
9:30 - The Odd Couple
10 - RUSH HOUR

Friday:

8 - The Amazing Race
9 - Hawaii Five-0
10 - Blue Bloods

Did you forget Supergirl or leave it off on purpose? I'm pretty sure Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays at 8 (and maybe 9 for Tuesday too) are an obvious "no" in where it'll get put. Since I doubt DC/WB would be cool having it compete directly with other DC (or comics in general) properties.

Pluto

The Family: At first I was intrigued, but as the trailer went on I quickly lost interest. Pass.
I was interested in it when the trailer made it look like a drama of a son returning after being "dead" for 10 years and I liked that it didn't ignore the "killer" who was now being released from prison.

But then they threw all that shit in about the wife being an ambitious politician who's abusing the situation to further her career, the husband is having an affair, the doctor who did the DNA test doesn't exist and the "son" looks like a psychopath in the final scene.
What could have been a good family drama now looks like conspiracy bullshit because I doubt a teenager in pyjamas could fake a DNA test all by himself.

Or maybe the twist is "We misspelled Dr. Kwyjibo's name, that's why we couldn't find him, whoops. lol" but that would be even worse.

Zalasta

Well, I have to say that I was not excited by any of the ABC shows. Would it be too harsh to hope that it'll crash and burn this Fall?

Patryn

CBS guesses. This will be the hardest one, for sure:

Sundays:

7 - 60 Minutes
8 - Madam Secretary
9 - The Good Wife
10 - Elementary

Mondays:

8 - 2 Broke Girls
8:30 - ANGEL FROM HELL
9 - Scorpion
10 - NCIS: Los Angeles

Tuesdays:

8 - NCIS
9 - NCIS: New Orleans
10 - CSI: CYBER

Wednesday:

8 - Survivor
9 - Criminal Minds
10 - CODE BLACK

Thursday:

8 - The Big Bang Theory
8:30 - LIFE IN PIECES
9 - Mom
9:30 - The Odd Couple
10 - RUSH HOUR

Friday:

8 - The Amazing Race
9 - Hawaii Five-0
10 - Blue Bloods

Does Amazing Race do full seasons? I'm expecting Person of Interest to be a mid-season Friday show, so I'm trying to figure out where it would go.

Also, as mentioned, you forgot Supergirl. I'm curious if there's some arrangement such that it can't compete with Arrow or Flash, though.

EDIT: Sepinwall just tweeted that Big Bang Theory will be doing the Monday at 8 p.m. thing again while CBS is doing Thursday Night Football. Soon as football is over, Supergirl takes over the slot.

Penguin

CBS SKED

MONDAY
8 TBBT (early fall)
8:30 Life in Pieces

TUESDAY
8:00-9:00 PM NCIS
9:00-10:00 PM NCIS: NEW ORLEANS
10:00-11:00 PM LIMITLESS (N)

WEDNESDAY
8:00-9:00 PM SURVIVOR
9:00-10:00 PM CRIMINAL MINDS
10:00-11:00 PM CODE BLACK (N)

Thur
8:00 THE BIG BANG THEORY (RTP)
8:30 LIFE IN PIECES (NTP)
9:00 MOM
9:30 ANGEL FROM HELL (N)
10:00 ELEMENTARY

FRIDAY
8:00-9:00 PM THE AMAZING RACE
9:00-10:00 PM HAWAII FIVE-0
10:00-11:00 PM BLUE BLOODS

SATURDAY
8:00-9:00 PM CRIMETIME SATURDAY
9:00-10:00 PM CRIMETIME SATURDAY
10:00-11:00 PM 48 HOURS

SUNDAY
7:00 60 MINUTES
8:00 MADAM SECRETARY
9:00 THE GOOD WIFE
10:00 CSI: CYBER (NTP)

Hmm seems like tweeting this isn't the best
Also said that Supergirl may air Monday at 8 after football wraps

That's the point of upfronts trailers. They release them publically, but AFAIR in reality theyre meant for advertisers, so they're spoilerly because they're supposed to give you condensed episode in few minutes.

THey only cover pilots though, so no worries about those trailers spoiling anything from later eps.

Oh if everything shown was only the pilot anyway, thats ok then.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Kinda ballsy putting Supergirl up against Gotham.

Fretful, beleaguered Person of Interest fans will have to wait until midseason (prolly January) to watch its 13-episode season.

I'm surprised they left CSI Cyber in the 10 p.m. Sunday death slot. Or maybe I shouldn't be...

I don't think Angel From Hell has much of a chance launching in November at 9:30 p.m. Then again, I guess black-ish did OK for itself at that time of night, although I think Modern Family is a stronger lead-in than Mom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom