• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014-15 TV Cancellations: Under the Dome canned, what will CBS do with CG cows next?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
A 0.6 in 2014 does not equal a 0.6 in 2013.

Whatever else one might think, TVBTN got this right from the beginning. Comparing ratings across years only makes sense for macro-level trends, not for considering renewals, cancellations, or performance in any absolute sense. Roots got a hundred zillion people watching it; the worst-rated show in 1989 had more viewers that 90% of what's on TV today; shows targeted absolute ratings for a long time before shifting to targeting the demo. Lately we incorporate more longitudinal measures when we moved to Live to L+SD onward now to C+3 and onward still. Comparing UPN and WB ratings to CW ratings would be hilarious, and if shows were earning the ratings that got Veronica Mars shitcanned, today they'd be readily renewed.

The Affair: 0.14 demo, 507,000 total viewers. Thankfully Showtime doesn't care much about overnight ratings because that is awful. Definitely one of the biggest gulfs between quality and viewership ever.

Joni

A 0.6 in 2014 does not equal a 0.6 in 2013.
The difficulty being the only other new show on The CW this year just put in a record so it is kinda difficult to say this is in line with other The CW launches. A 0.6 in 2014 isn't really remarkable considering how the shows debuted last year, even if there are less live TV viewers.

If CW acts logical and renews the five shows everyone expects it to renew, places on next years line-up will also be more difficult to get. They have 8/10 spots, five of them will be filled.

Patryn

The difficulty being the only other new show on The CW this year just put in a record so it is kinda difficult to say this is in line with other The CW launches. A 0.6 in 2014 isn't really remarkable considering how the shows debuted last year, even if there are less live TV viewers.

If CW acts logical and renews the five shows everyone expects it to renew, places on next years line-up will also be more difficult to get. They have 8/10 spots, five of them will be filled.

Aren't there also rumors about them doing another DC show next season?

The real issue with JtV isn't that it premiered to a 0.6, since that's a perfectly acceptable number for the CW in 2014, it's seeing where the ratings are at in a month or two.

ivysaur12

Banned
so it is kinda difficult to say this is in line with other The CW launches.

But, it's not. Given ratings erosion, that's pretty much in line with you'd expect from a non-DC related show on the CW on a Monday night.

Whatever else one might think, TVBTN got this right from the beginning. Comparing ratings across years only makes sense for macro-level trends, not for considering renewals, cancellations, or performance in any absolute sense. Roots got a hundred zillion people watching it; the worst-rated show in 1989 had more viewers that 90% of what's on TV today; shows targeted absolute ratings for a long time before shifting to targeting the demo. Lately we incorporate more longitudinal measures when we moved to Live to L+SD onward now to C+3 and onward still. Comparing UPN and WB ratings to CW ratings would be hilarious, and if shows were earning the ratings that got Veronica Mars shitcanned, today they'd be readily renewed.

Also, given that CW will undoubtably renew CBS shows because, fuck, they co-own the network, all Jane really needs to do is beat Reign, Beauty and the Beast, and The Messengers. Not really the hardest task. And Jane the Virgin and Reign have much more oversees potential than anything else they have from CBS.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Predictions for Marry Me?

JtV numbers:

JANE THE VIRGIN debuts with 1.7M viewers and a 0.6 A18-49.

drinks are on me boyz!

The Affair: 0.14 demo, 507,000 total viewers. Thankfully Showtime doesn't care much about overnight ratings because that is awful. Definitely one of the biggest gulfs between quality and viewership ever.

Yeah thankfully Showtime doesn't care about that because that's pretty bad for L+SD.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise

Yikes. Did everyone watch it earlier on-demand or otherwise? I feel like it must have had some decent reach in the publicity department since even my mom had heard of it and was planning to give it a try, and she typically has no idea what's going on with cable/premium shows.

Cool. I've enjoyed the show well enough, although I'd like it to steer away from all the affair subplots, even if that means embracing increasingly unrealistic complications in the development of the bomb and other WWII era paranoias.

But, it's not. Given ratings erosion, that's pretty much in line with you'd expect from a non-DC related show on the CW on a Monday night.

Also, given that CW will undoubtably renew CBS shows because, fuck, they co-own the network, all Jane really needs to do is beat Reign, Beauty and the Beast, and The Messengers. Not really the hardest task. And Jane the Virgin and Reign have much more oversees potential than anything else they have from CBS.

Why would anyone overseas buy the cw remake instead of the popular original?

danielcw

by the way: 2 shows that do sell internationally:
http://deadline.com/2014/10/ncis-ne...n-cbs-sells-to-overseas-market-mipcom-850806/

Why would anyone overseas buy the cw remake instead of the popular original?

Why would anyone buy the original over the remake?
Why not both?

No idea who distributes the original around the world, but it may very well be,
that broadcaster who have access to the remake may have no option to get the original or vice versa.
Also even if it does not sell, CBS/paramount could sell them in output deals. If you want the latest packet of paramount blockbusters, you will also have to buy JtV

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I watched Marry Me and liked it quite a bit. Ken Marino is great.

Did anyone see Kingdom? I was pleasantly surprised, that Jonas kid wasn't bad and I think their whole family dynamic is kind if interesting.

And that's Luke Cafferty from Friday Night Lights?!? Dude got SWOLE since then....but I've got a soft spot for anyone who's FNL alumni....even IF they go on to do John Carter...

ramuh

Interested in Marry Me ratings. Heart was cut out by Happy Endings getting axed. Also watched The Affair on Showtime (Ep1 is free on Demand). It was really good. I still don't know what the big mystery is yet though. lol. And those The Affair numbers are crazy low.

ivysaur12

Banned
Did anyone see Kingdom? I was pleasantly surprised, that Jonas kid wasn't bad and I think their whole family dynamic is kind if interesting.

And that's Luke Cafferty from Friday Night Lights?!? Dude got SWOLE since then....but I've got a soft spot for anyone who's FNL alumni....even IF they go on to do John Carter...

Kingdom's my favorite new drama of the fall.

ivysaur12

Banned
Are you serious?

My options are a Jane the Virgin, which is a comedy. How to Get Away with Murder, which is… fine. And The Affair, which is writerly and I don't particularly love memory plays a means to convey story.

If we're counting Transparent, I'd count Transparent.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
My options are a Jane the Virgin, which is a comedy. How to Get Away with Murder, which is… fine. And The Affair, which is writerly and I don't particularly love memory plays a means to convey story.

If we're counting Transparent, I'd count Transparent.

How many episodes have you seen?

Didn't see Kingdom yet, but i saw Jonas on Hawaii Five-0 and he was decent, i was surprised.

Joe Adalian said:
It's official: THE FLASH is a big honkin' hit for CW. Episode 2 retains 100 percent of A18-49 from debut, with a 1.6. Viewers: 4.1M

FLASH did the same A18-49 rating as ABC's SHIELD last night (1.6).

EDIT: Correction:

Joe Adalian said:
FLASH's 1.6, while still very good, was down about 12% from debut. I transposed last week's A18-34 (1.6) with A18-49 (1.9)
So it didn't hold even with last week, but it's still very good for week 2.

Patryn

Good for the Flash. While I don't think it's a "great" show, it's damn entertaining and could turn into something special down the line if it avoids letting too much cheese in.

Vlodril

Does that mean the Shield might be fucked? I would kinda be glad because then I really don#t need to return to it at this point.

why would it matter to shield its on a different channel no?

Also the show is good now so i need to return mmkay? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom