• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014-15 TV Cancellations: Under the Dome canned, what will CBS do with CG cows next?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ivysaur12

Banned
Transparent - A-
Kingdom - B+
Jane the Virgin - B
Marry Me - B
A to Z - B
The Affair - B-
How to Get Away with Murder - B-
Red Band Society: C+
The Flash - C+
Black-ish - C+
Selfie - C-
Manhattan Love Story: D
Mysteries of Laura: D
Stalker: F-

Seen every episode of these available.

maxcriden

Forever C
Gotham C-
How to Get Away With Murder C
Red Band Society C
The Flash B+
black-ish A-

I think those are all of mine. Oh wait.

Jane The Virgin B+

Forgot some more:

Selfie C-
Manhattan Love Story D (based on the trailer)
A to Z B-

Xater

I have not checked out many new shows so far. Most just don't interest me.

Flash - B+
Gotham - F (I even watched the first half of the second ep)
Selfie - C

I don't watch many pilots, too much returning stuff to watch:

The Affair: A-
Flash: B+
Gotham: C (for just the pilot, I'd raise it to a C+/B- including the other eps)

TripOpt55

Here are my grades for whatever I have seen of the new shows so far:

Red Band Society: B+
Selfie: C+
Forever: C-
Gotham: B-
Blackish: B+
How to Get Away with Murder: B
A to Z: B-
Survivor's Remorse: B
Gracepoint: C
Mulaney: F
The Flash: B
Marry Me: B
Jane the Virigin: C+

I'm surprised how many I like so far this year. I'm going to try and keep watching all of them except Forever, Mulaney and Gracepoint which I dropped (the latter mostly because I want to see Broadchurch first). I still need to watch The Affair.

maxcriden

Just out of curiosity, have those of you who found black-ish to be just okay checked out the second and especially third eps? The latest one in particular was a massive step up from the pilot.

Did anyone see Kingdom? I was pleasantly surprised, that Jonas kid wasn't bad and I think their whole family dynamic is kind if interesting.

And that's Luke Cafferty from Friday Night Lights?!? Dude got SWOLE since then....but I've got a soft spot for anyone who's FNL alumni....even IF they go on to do John Carter...

Luke from FNL has been in some great stuff since FNL. Matt Lauria's been on Parenthood (must-watch if you loved FNL) and The Chicago Code (very good short-lived series).

Man, I really hope Krysten Ritter finds a good role. She was great on Apartment 23!

She was great on Veronica Mars and Breaking Bad, as well, if you haven't seen those.

Just out of curiosity, have those of you who found black-ish to be just okay checked out the second and especially third eps? The latest one in particular was a massive step up from the pilot.
Yeah, I thought the 2nd and 3rd episodes were a massive step up from the pilot. I laughed many times but maybe it's just my kind of humor.
anyways
How to Get Away with Murder - B-
Gotham - B
Black-ish - A-
Marry Me - C+
Cristela - D
A to Z - C+
Scorpion - F
Stalker - F
Forever - C
Red Band Society - B-
Selfie - C

DarkFlow

Banned
Shield keeps going down, when does it no longer get to be treated as it's somehow "safe" from cancellation? Especially if it keeps slipping.

It's not going anywhere till Avengers 2 comes out at the least. It's likely too intertwined at this point to can it. Also it's 2nd place for it's time slot, also not a bad thing.

beat

What he couldn’t save, however, was himself. Reilly was relieved of his duties just after upfronts, and now it’s clear why. While he was publicizing the version of the job he wanted, he was neglecting the one he had. [...] His higher-ups saw the coming disaster and picked off the fall guy early, buying new broadcast bosses Dana Walden and Gary Newman plenty of time to restore order. Thus far, their work has mostly involved reversing nearly every one of Reilly’s decisions: walking back the proclamations about pilot season, ordering extra episodes of shows Reilly had intentionally capped in pursuit of quality, and staying conspicuously silent as Reilly’s passion projects flatline all around them.
=(

(Perversely, this probably is a good thing for fringey favorites like New Girl and Brooklyn Nine-Nine. NBC’s lost years led to long lives for non-blockbusters like Friday Night Lights and Parks and Recreation.)
I guess that's the silver lining then. Fox is the new NBC, and honestly, B99 feels like an NBC sitcom anyways. (Specifically, it feels like Parks and Rec.)

I 100% agree with his point about superheroes: give us the damn superheroes, not the side stories. (Smallville's "no flights, no tights" policy was fine for the first season or three, but by season fucking ten... sheesh.)

maxcriden

I guess that's the silver lining then. Fox is the new NBC, and honestly, B99 feels like an NBC sitcom anyways. (Specifically, it feels like Parks and Rec.)

Good point! Related to that same line of thinking, maybe watching Marry Me and About a Boy will change my mind on this, but I feel like NBC is now adopting the ABC/Fox model of pleasant, not hilarious or traditionally sitcommy half-hour comedies, with stuff like A to Z, About a Boy, and...others, I think.

cory64

How To Get Away With Murder: B+
The Flash: B+

Jane The Virgin: B
'black•ish: B

Selfie: B-
Marry Me: B-
Cristela: B-

Gotham C+

A to Z: C

Red Band Society: C-

Manhattan Love Story: D

Mulaney: F

Nothing really amazing but a lot of solid efforts.

beat

Good point! Related to that same line of thinking, maybe watching Marry Me and About a Boy will change my mind on this, but I feel like NBC is now adopting the ABC/Fox model of pleasant, not hilarious or traditionally sitcommy half-hour comedies, with stuff like A to Z, About a Boy, and...others, I think.

Marry Me is the next Happy Endings. The premise is kind of a single camera Mad About You (happily together couple is the center of the show, no will-they-won't-they) but Casey Wilson is playing this new role pretty close to Penny Hartz, the writing staff inherited a bunch of people from Happy Endings, the cast is top ranking comedy mafia...

(I still haven't watched About A Boy. Should I?)

TripOpt55

I thought it got to a really good place by the end of Season 1. But stump is pretty on point in saying you aren't exactly missing out on anything by not watching. It certainly isn't a must-watch.

Marry Me is the next Happy Endings. The premise is kind of a single camera Mad About You (happily together couple is the center of the show, no will-they-won't-they) but Casey Wilson is playing this new role pretty close to Penny Hartz, the writing staff inherited a bunch of people from Happy Endings, the cast is top ranking comedy mafia...

It's OK. Sweet but ultimately harmless.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Stalker - C
Forever - B+
Flash - B
NCIS: New Orleans - F
How to get away with murder - D

I'm happy that SHIELD seems to have stabilized, and that The Flash held up well. I'm not worried about either, but I would like them to settle into a nice groove.

Sad about Mission Control. I love Krysten Ritter. :(

Tamanon

Banned
Gotham - A
The Flash - A+
Scorpion - C (Only the big math nerd and the normal girl are even remotely likable on the show)
NCIS: New Orleans - B (It's a good NCIS spinoff, much better than LA)
Black-ish - B
Gracepoint - A

So far, I've been pretty satisfied with what I've watched.

Shit was getting real again. Why, damn it, why?! The plot was actually going somewhere for a damn change. Can we at least get some TV movies or something. Wouldn't be alien to the series to do that. I just want some damn closure after that finale.

This is a real bummer, still hoping someone picks this show up for a final season to wrap things up.

danielcw

So it didn't hold even with last week, but it's still very good for week 2.

Just wondering, why don't you wait for final ratings?

Those are your options.

I won't use grades, because I have no idea how to grade a show.

Gotham - like it and its style, but I feel it is getting worse. will keep watching
Gracepoint - liked the pilot but the first few minutes of episode 2. will probably check out the British original, when it airs in Germany.
How to Get Away With Murder - like Scandal, will watch once to see the plot and twists.
Madam Secretary - couldn't get through pilot
Star Wars Rebels - loved the pilot, will keep watching
The Flash - loved the pilot, will keep watching
The Mysteries of Laura - couldn't get through pilot, some descriptions/comments made me expect an half hour comedy

Not seen:
Z Nation - no interest
Forever - wasn't on my radar, now that cancelation looms, I will wait
Kingdom - not on my radar
NCIS: New Orleans - will wait until it airs in Germany
Red Band Society - will wait fro German adaptation and compare both then
Stalker - not on my radar
Scorpion - backlog
The Affair - backlog
Transparent - not on my radar

Shield keeps going down, when does it no longer get to be treated as it's somehow "safe" from cancellation? Especially if it keeps slipping.
It is doing average for ABC.
It is to early to ell, but if ABC would have to make a decision now, it is neither safe, nor in big danger. I believe it already has a full season order, doesn't it?

It's OK. Sweet but ultimately harmless.
Sweet is the first emotion that comes to my mind as well.
If you liked the movie (based on the same book) or comedies for the family give it a chance. The pilot more or less retells the movie.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
what is Transparent about, most people seem to like it

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Then why do the numbers work for foreign networks to air a mix of their own and foreign shows?
Probably because they don't have the depth of production talent that's available in the US to fill out an entire schedule. Also, the rest of the world cares more about what's popular coming out of the US than the US does about what others are doing for the most part.

danielcw

Simple Answer, They make more money this way.
The content is theirs to do whatever with.

What do you mean by the content is theirs?
They have a large say in their "original" shows, but they don't belong to the networks.

Then why do the numbers work for foreign networks to air a mix of their own and foreign shows?
It is cheaper to get foreign shows than to make your own.
But the U.S. does not seem to accept foreign shows.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I can't believe you guys like The Flash that much. The acting is dreadful.

The scene where his friend was pouring sugar into her coffee and he was flashing around the room whining about how he desperately wanted to tell her but couldn't was the most cringe-inducing scene I have watched in years.

maxcriden

I really liked Marry Me, actually. I thought it was pretty fleshed out for a pilot and very much the Happy Endings style of fast-paced humor. It was legit really hilarious to me.

As for About a Boy, I think it's a weird show. Parts of it work really well for me: i.e. the two main characters of Will and Marcus. Their chemistry is great, they're just really funny. The rest of the show doesn't work too well for me. I find pretty much all of the other characters really grating and not that funny. It's hard to want to keep watching the show because of that.

The scene where his friend was pouring sugar into her coffee and he was flashing around the room whining about how he desperately wanted to tell her but couldn't was the most cringe-inducing scene I have watched in years.

No offense intended, but you must not watch many superhero shows. They're kind of all corny like that. It's part of the charm (or, for you, lack thereof). Arrow's at least as cheesy.

beat

Hey, a thought about the end of pilot season and Mission Control -- Mission Control was a midseason show in flux and ultimately cancelled today because NBC had reservations about some of the recasting decisions. Well, it's not pilot season now. Every talented actor in the world who isn't currently locked down to a series contract is available. Isn't that exactly the situation that Reilly said ending pilot season would produce? And yet Mission Control still couldn't cast people that the network liked enough?

ivysaur12

Banned
Hey, a thought about the end of pilot season and Mission Control -- Mission Control was a midseason show in flux and ultimately cancelled today because NBC had reservations about some of the recasting decisions. Well, it's not pilot season now. Every talented actor in the world who isn't currently locked down to a series contract is available. Isn't that exactly the situation that Reilly said ending pilot season would produce? And yet Mission Control still couldn't cast people that the network liked enough?

"Casting issues" is just spin.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Gotham - A
The Flash - A+
Scorpion - C (Only the big math nerd and the normal girl are even remotely likable on the show)
NCIS: New Orleans - B (It's a good NCIS spinoff, much better than LA)
Black-ish - B
Gracepoint - A

So far, I've been pretty satisfied with what I've watched.

Really? I just took it off my watch list. The acting is terrible, the one liners are cringeworthy and I just hate the main cast (the younger agents at least). NCIS is by far the best, then LA and NO isn't even watchable IMO, and I'm a big fan of the series.

ryseing

Welcome to a CW show.

Malvingt2

I disagree. It is not the best and it is cheesy but that is part of the charm of the show. It is a very good show so far.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
And also, why are American networks incapable of airing a foreign show?

Some of these foreign shows actually do air in the US - for instance, Broadchurch was shown on BBC America and Moone Boy (which ABC is trying to remake) aired on PBS. There are so many channels in the US, that you can air the original on one network and air the remake on another. It doesn't always have to be one or the other.

what is Transparent about, most people seem to like it

An LA family with serious boundary issues have their past and future unravel when a dramatic admission causes everyone's secrets to spill out.

Some of these foreign shows actually do air in the US - for instance, Broadchurch was shown on BBC America and Moone Boy (which ABC is trying to remake) aired on PBS. There are so many channels in the US, that you can air the original on one network and air the remake on another. It doesn't always have to be one or the other.

I'm talking about network television.

I don't see how remaking Broadchurch is more financially prudent than just airing the original.

Comedy makes sense to remake, but a ten episode miniseries?

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I'm talking about network television.

I don't see how remaking Broadchurch is more financially prudent than just airing the original.

Comedy makes sense to remake, but a ten episode miniseries?

Broadchurch is getting a second series though.

I also fail to see why drama is unacceptable but comedy isn't. A remake is a remake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom