• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014-15 TV Cancellations: Under the Dome canned, what will CBS do with CG cows next?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Happy for The Flash, though of course it was getting a full season, disappointed by The Bridge, though of course it was getting canceled.

Joni

And Beauty and the Beast. And Hart of Dixie.

The 100 is only doing 16, and I assume that The Messengers will go there.

Hart of Dixie or Beauty and the Beast could probably replace Whose Line Is It Anyway on Friday. And I forgot they weren't on just yet.

That is interesting. Where will they actually place iZombie and The Messengers now?
I don't know brah but I'm worried. Love what the CW is doing. Maybe Nina leaves VD and they put it out of its misery to free up some space. Lord knows they'd continue anyway if she left. The Messengers and iZombie just have that potential to be breakout hits.

I'm kinda in love with Kingdom. It's rare to find a show where you actually like and are invested in every character. And it's a surprise to me because the subject matter is not something I'm generally the least bit interested in. (MMA stuff.)

I wonder if I should make an OT...
Plz do! So others can hop on this fantastic show xD

anaron

Yay for Jane and Flash orders

iZombie should be fine fitting in somewhere. AFAIK the pilot has been incredibly well received and the CW clearly wants to be in business with Rob Thomas

benjipwns

Banned
It's like they just mashed his last two shows together:
The project, from Universal Cable Prods, centers on a young programmer, Elliot (Rami Malek), who suffers from a debilitating anti-social disorder and decides that he can only connect to people by hacking them. He will find himself in the intersection between a cybersecurity firm he works for and the underworld organizations recruiting him to bring down corporate America.

ivysaur12

Banned
BTW, this is my guess for Fox's schedule this Spring. Just guesses:

Sunday:
7:30 - Bob's Burgers
8 - The Simpsons
8:30 - Brooklyn Nine-Nine
9 - Family Guy
9:30 - BORDERTOWN

Monday:

8 - Gotham
9 - Sleepy Hollow/The Following

Tuesday:

8 - Glee
9 - New Girl
9:30 - The Mindy Project/WEIRD LONERS (could also go at 9 and flip with New Girl)

Wednesday:

8 - American Idol
9:30 - LAST MAN ON EARTH

Thursday:

8 - American Idol
9 - EMPIRE

Friday:

8/9 - Some combination of Bones and Hell's Kitchen Nightmares of Hotels

abundant

If theres one thing the CW doesnt lack is space. They can fit them into their 11 months of reruns.

Again with this? CW's schedule is as full as any of the other networks. Yes, they may take some breaks in the spring, but so does everyone else. Yes, they have nothing to show in the summer, but so does everyone else.

This idea that the CW barely has new programming makes no sense when they have 7 shows that have a full 22 episode order.

ivysaur12

Banned
Again with this? CW's schedule is as full as any of the other networks. Yes, they may take some breaks in the spring, but so does everyone else. Yes, they have nothing to show in the summer, but so does everyone else.

This idea that the CW barely has new programming makes no sense when they have 7 shows that have a full 22 episode order.

And only program 10 hours a week versus Fox's 13 and every one else's 19.

Last week:

They aired a repeat on Friday
They aired a repeat on Wednesday

Week before:

They aired a repeat on Friday
They aired a repeat on Wednesday
They aired a repeat on Monday

For a network that programs 10 hours a week, thats a lot of repeats in what should be the busiest time of the year.

"But xx airs repeats too!"

Thats besides the point.

The point is, CW has PLENTY of space. If they need room, they have more than enough.

abundant

The point is, CW has PLENTY of space. If they need room, they have more than enough.

This I agree with. Sorry for misreading your post.

If they need space, they can run shows on Friday, which they probably will in the spring, and if that's not enough time, they can expand to Sunday Nights, like all the other networks.

Clevinger

Patryn

What is this nonsense on TVBTN about Mulaney already being cancelled? Are they really impatient and itchy to pull the cancellation trigger or are they looking for some hits?

To be fair, it is obvious that Mulaney will be cancelled but stuff like TVBTN posting that shit kinda makes them sound less credible than they are.

They reduced the episode order for it. Sounds like they're going to air the full 13 and then it's done.

Basically, it's a dead show walking.

ivysaur12

Banned
They reduced the episode order for it. Sounds like they're going to air the full 13 and then it's done.

Basically, it's a dead show walking.

Except if it were canceled, it'd be canceled. TVTBN could try to be professional, or they could continue ther quest to do the exact opposite at all given points.

There's a difference between "their ratings are really bad and there probably won't be a back order" and "this is canceled." Mulaney has not actually been canceled, even with grim ratings, and saying it has is stupid.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Sooooooooo

Arrow kind of sucks

like, the action scenes are decent, I guess, but everything else is...really bad. tv gaf told me this was gud what gives

Sooooooooo

Arrow kind of sucks

like, the action scenes are decent, I guess, but everything else is...really bad. tv gaf told me this was gud what gives

What have you watched of it? It's honestly got some of the best fight choreography on network tv (I've heard Person of Interest is up there too but I haven't seen it). It still suffers from terrible lines, absurd love triangles, cliche' plot points though. I watch it pretty much exclusively for the action.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
How far did you get?

What have you watched of it? It's honestly got some of the best fight choreography on network tv (I've heard Person of Interest is up there too but I haven't seen it). It still suffers from terrible lines, absurd love triangles, cliche' plot points though. I watch it pretty much exclusively for the action.

I just finished season 3 episode 1. So almost all the way caught up.

And I mean, it does have some of the best choreography on network tv, but that really isn't saying much when its competition is stuff like NCIS and The Blacklist. lol

watch Person of Interest instead

I've heard that it's good, but, like, the same people who recommend it are the same people who recommend Arrow. So. I DON'T KNOW WHO TO TRUST ANYMORE

oh? season one is decent. Season 2 is the real deal.

It's weird because I kept that in mind while watching the show but I never noticed any big leap in quality when season 2 rolled around. It's still the same show but with a slightly decreased amount of CW trappings (and a new anti killing moral code that is just soooo dumb).

It's not a wholly unenjoyable show but it completely falls apart when you stop to think about any aspect of it. You really have to turn your brain completely off to enjoy it.

Though, it did at least give us that bizarre wall flip gif, which is probably the greatest thing that has ever happened in a television show.

I just finished season 3 episode 1. So almost all the way caught up.

And I mean, it does have some of the best choreography on network tv, but that really isn't saying much when its competition is stuff like NCIS and The Blacklist. lol

I get your point but you don't have to cherry pick shows with terrible action. ;p

Compare it to stuff like Nikita, AoS, hell even stuff like Alias back when it was on the air. It's great action (with the occasional "wtf was the point of that?" stuff like the wall flip). In a sea of shows that just aren't very action-y or are filled will subpar gunplay stuff, it's a good performer. That it's a comic show is a bonus for some of us.

Clevinger

I've heard that it's good, but, like, the same people who recommend it are the same people who recommend Arrow. So. I DON'T KNOW WHO TO TRUST ANYMORE

I wrote this in an Arrow praise thread half a year ago and I still stand by it (with a couple edits, since I think even less of it now):

I don't think Arrow deserves to be called a great good show. The acting generally ranges from god awful to passable with a few exceptions. The dialogue is usually clunky and bad; I honestly can't think of a show with worse dialogue. Character motivations are frequently stupid. The plot is usually idiotic and rushed. It has one of the worst-written heroines I've ever seen in television. It's still an enjoyable show because it (usually) has good action and it throws a bunch of plot twists at you, which helps distract from and make you forget the glaring flaws.

Meanwhile Person of Interest is a great show. It starts off procedural, but as it goes on it becomes more and more serialized. It's well-acted thanks to great performances from Michael Emerson, Amy Acker, and a whole host of great recurring and guest stars (though Jim Caviezel kinda sucks at that whole talking thing). The dialogue is well written. The plot is well written. The characters and their motivations are good. In fact, when PoI is firing on all cylinders there are a a lot of character moments where the show is straight up beautiful. It's just a much, much, much better and more competent show than Arrow.

Bladenic

wish I could see why yall like Jane the Virgin so much, the pilot was bleh. I mean, it's good for what it is, but that doesn't mean it's good overall

Just IMO

RIP the bridge I can continue watching it now I guess (or did it end inconclusively?)

BTW, this is my guess for Fox's schedule this Spring. Just guesses:

Good schedule, but Fox would be insane to move Bones to Friday. It's one of their strongest performers. Glee should go there. The season finale got a damn 0.6. That's not a show you air on Mon-Thurs, even if you're Fox in the 2014/2015 season.

Don't they have Backstrom to air sometime as well, or do you think that will be a summer show?

ivysaur12

Banned
Good schedule, but Fox would be insane to move Bones to Friday. It's one of their strongest performers. Glee should go there. The season finale got a damn 0.6. That's not a show you air on Mon-Thurs, even if you're Fox in the 2014/2015 season.

Don't they have Backstrom to air sometime as well, or do you think that will be a summer show?

Oh shit, I forgot Backstrom. I could see it being a summer show, though. They just don't have a lot of room.

I think the problem is that people realize that shows about men in tights can hold the attention of young teen males for maybe 90 minutes but after that theres just no substance to keep people coming back. The stories are too cliche and known.

This isnt the 70s. People expect more from TV than repeat of the week, which is all that superheroes are good for. Keep those shows on cartoon network, where kids dont mind watching the same thing over and over again and are too young to understand quality.

Or, alternatively, on CBS.

The fuck? Arrow does a fine job at having a serialized story and not just a villain-of-the-week kind of thing. So did the DCAU, especially once they got to Justice League Unlimited.

It's extremely narrow-minded to say that an episodic villain-of-the-week format is all superheroes are good for.

Kevin

Oh shit, I forgot Backstrom. I could see it being a summer show, though. They just don't have a lot of room.

Hey ivy, I was wondering if you had any idea how many episodes Supernatural and Arrow are getting this year? The CW announced that the Flash was picked up for 23 episodes but I didn't hear anything about how many episodes Supernatural and Arrow were getting. Have you heard anything?

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Hey ivy, I was wondering if you had any idea how many episodes Supernatural and Arrow are getting this year? The CW announced that the Flash was picked up for 23 episodes but I didn't hear anything about how many episodes Supernatural and Arrow were getting. Have you heard anything?

They're both 22/23 episodes.

anaron

It's weird because I kept that in mind while watching the show but I never noticed any big leap in quality when season 2 rolled around. It's still the same show but with a slightly decreased amount of CW trappings (and a new anti killing moral code that is just soooo dumb).

It's not a wholly unenjoyable show but it completely falls apart when you stop to think about any aspect of it. You really have to turn your brain completely off to enjoy it.
Haha, pretty much

This is most CW shows though isn't it? I don't think any of them aspire to be anything more than light entertainment.

danielcw

Except if it were canceled, it'd be canceled. TVTBN could try to be professional, or they could continue ther quest to do the exact opposite at all given points.
I want to agree with you there,
but I am not quite sure what is the definition of cancelled, so I think TVBTN might have a point.

We know production has been cancelled, is that enough to say the show is cancelled?
I guess it is also save to bet that FOX has made its decision.

To call it cancelled?
Do we have to wait until the final new episode has aired?
Until it is removed from the schedule?
Until a press release says "final episodes" or something to that effect?
Until some one who speak for FOX says: "it is cancelled"?
(those two things may never happen)
Until the next upfronts, when Mullany is not announced as renewed?

Aka, the scooby doo formula. New episodes, sane exact thing.
[...snip....]
There's a place for super heroes, and it's Nickelodeon and CBS.
Do you even watch shows on Nick or CBS?
I don't watch many, but those I do, do not fit a Scooby Doo formula, as far as I can tell.

It's extremely narrow-minded to say that an episodic villain-of-the-week format is all superheroes are good for.
I would like to add, that an episodic villain-of-the-week format is also not a inherently bad thing.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Gotham's bleeding
Wk 1   3.2
Wk 2   2.8
Wk 3   2.5
Wk 4   2.4
Wk 5   2.2

luckily that's had no effect on Sleepy Hollow
Wk 1   2.0
Wk 2   1.7
Wk 3   1.7
Wk 4   1.7
Wk 5   1.8

I will argue that Gotham's level of violence is having a negative effect on viewership. I can usually handle that type of thing but it was getting out of hand by episode 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom