• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014-15 TV Cancellations: Under the Dome canned, what will CBS do with CG cows next?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vert boil

animation1yhey8.gif

Penguin

Gotham's bleeding
Wk 1   3.2
Wk 2   2.8
Wk 3   2.5
Wk 4   2.4
Wk 5   2.2

luckily that's had no effect on Sleepy Hollow
Wk 1   2.0
Wk 2   1.7
Wk 3   1.7
Wk 4   1.7
Wk 5   1.8

The pattern remains the same, but gotham was adjusted up to 2.3 for the week.

When I read that the producers changed the direction of The Bridge from what FX wanted, I knew it was cancelled. Also, The Bridge was getting 15 second commercials during other FX programming, as opposed to the minute long commercials others shows were getting (like The Strain and Sons of Anarchy), and I knew it was done. :/

I liked The Bridge, very interesting (I live in El Paso, though so I am a bit biased). I talked to a friend about why he didn't like it. He felt it was too slow and that nothing happened in the episodes. I didn't disagree, though.

Ithil

I will argue that Gotham's level of violence is having a negative effect on viewership. I can usually handle that type of thing but it was getting out of hand by episode 3.

I would argue the show's level of being kind of terrible is having a negative impact on viewership.

Except if it were canceled, it'd be canceled. TVTBN could try to be professional, or they could continue ther quest to do the exact opposite at all given points.

There's a difference between "their ratings are really bad and there probably won't be a back order" and "this is canceled." Mulaney has not actually been canceled, even with grim ratings, and saying it has is stupid.

I think they explain this quite clearly:

DoA Mulaney got its order cut to 13 episodes (exactly as many as they already had finished). While shows have survived having their orders cut down before they premiered, episode reductions after shows have launched, and the ratings are in, are almost always a death sentence, as they indicate networks cutting their losses. Whether this should count as the first cancellation of the season is a murky answer. Let's be clear: Episode 14 of Mulaney will never be filmed, but everyone involved will have to go through the pretense that the show is still not dead until May.

Fox will finish airing the existing episodes. They will never film or air another episode of the show. Mulaney will not return to Fox next season. Technically, the show isn't canceled this season since they will burn through the first 13 episodes. Semantics.

- Tuesday numbers from TVbtN
On NBC, The Voice earned a x from last week's 3.4 adults 18-49 rating. Marry Me garnered a 1.9, down four tenths from last week's 2.3 adults 18-49 rating. About A Boy notched a 1.4, down three tenths from last week's 1.7 adults 18-49 rating. Chicago Fire matched last week's 1.9 adults 18-49 rating.

On CBS, NCIS garnered a 2.4, down a tenth from last week's 2.5 adults 18-49 rating. NCIS: New Orleans notched a 2.4, up two tenths from last week's 2.2 adults 18-49 rating. Person Of Interest matched last week's series low 1.5 adults 18-49 rating.

On ABC, Selfie scored a 1.1, up a tenth from last week's 1.0 adults 18-49 rating. Manhattan Love Story earned a 0.7, down two tenths from last week's 0.9 adults 18-49 rating. Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. earned a series low 1.5, down two tenths from last week's 1.7 adults 18-49 rating. Forever notched a 1.2, up a tenth from last week's 1.1 adults 18-49 rating

On the CW, The Flash scored a 1.4, down three tenths from last week's 1.7 adults 18-49 rating. Supernatural earned a 0.9, down a tenth from last week's 1.0 adults 18-49 rating.

Joni

For a network that programs 10 hours a week, thats a lot of repeats in what should be the busiest time of the year.

The point is, CW has PLENTY of space. If they need room, they have more than enough.
The slot on Wednesday is filled, they start The 100 there. They used those repeats for synergy between Arrow and The Flash. They don't have a place on the schedule, aside from occassional repeats just like everyone. I don't think people would like it if they started airing new series on the occassional days other shows are off. THey're already using a month less than all other stations to air their full length shows.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
MTV has picked up Todrick to series. I saw the pilot a few months ago and thought it was decent, for what it was. Todrick is a personable dude.

So Supernatural is 22 episodes and Arrow is 23 this year?

Probably 23 for each.

I honestly don't ever think we'll see that not in the bowels of summer/on a Saturday.

So is it shit? How did something like that attract such a large group of talented actors?

This is most CW shows though isn't it? I don't think any of them aspire to be anything more than light entertainment.

I've never seen any other CW show (not counting the ones that were held over from WB), so I don't know!

lol I saw that too. How annoying.

Where's hype for Ascension? I hope it's good. Even though it's a limited series, if ratings are good they'll renew it right?

If it's a limited series, that just means the episode count for each season will be lower (6-8) than normal (12-13). (I think? or maybe I'm thinking of event series? whatever that is? idk)

If it's a miniseries, then it's just a one and done.*

*unless it's a success and they decide to do more ala Downton Abbey, Top of the Lake, etc.

ivysaur12

Banned
I think they explain this quite clearly:

Fox will finish airing the existing episodes. They will never film or air another episode of the show. Mulaney will not return to Fox next season. Technically, the show isn't canceled this season since they will burn through the first 13 episodes. Semantics.

It is semantics. It's not canceled. There's a difference. Abide by it. It's so easy to say: "The ratings for Mulaney plus the fact that the order has been cut back make it highly unlikely that Mulaney will be renewed." versus saying "CANCELED!" when it actually hasn't been canceled. It may be semantics, but it's also an important part of their website.

It is semantics. It's not canceled. There's a difference. Abide by it. It's so easy to say: "The ratings for Mulaney plus the fact that the order has been cut back make it highly unlikely that Mulaney will be renewed." versus saying "CANCELED!" when it actually hasn't been canceled. It may be semantics, but it's also an important part of their website.

100% agree. Show some damn journalistic integrity.

Patryn

Also stranger things have happened. Who knows? Maybe Fox will be so engulfed in flames they'll have no choice but to renew it.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Steve Coogan To Succeed Philip Seymour Hoffman As Star Of Showtime Comedy ‘Happyish’

Eighteen months after the sudden death of actor Philip Seymour Hoffman, Showtime has found an actor to replace him in the network’s dark comedy project Happyish. British actor-writer-comedian Steve Coogan (Philomena) is set to topline a new pilot for Happyish, which will be filmed in New York this December.

Because of the long time that has passed since the original pilot, the rest of the cast has been released, but I hear Hoffman’s co-star Kathryn Hahn has had discussions to return.

The imbeciles also said that Siberia was cancelled and we know thats not the case. NBC just hasnt come to a decision yet.

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
Except if it were canceled, it'd be canceled. TVTBN could try to be professional, or they could continue ther quest to do the exact opposite at all given points.
I imagine this is because they're not entertainment professionals.

100% agree. Show some damn journalistic integrity.
They're also not journalists. They're a duo of a failed business executives who believe they're statisticians. If you have a livejournal and an SPSS license, you too can live the dream.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
The imbeciles also said that Siberia was cancelled and we know thats not the case. NBC just hasnt come to a decision yet.

Well, there's a difference between a show that is off-air and with all of its cast and crew released to do other things, and a show that is finished production but still airing and the cast and crew have not been released, which is what ivy is getting at.

It's sort of like how we knew* the week before the 2012 presidential election that Obama would win, but he didn't actually win until he won, and idiot bookies paying out bets a week in advance just because they're cocky doesn't really do much to inform public debate

* With reasonable certainty, given that no catastrophic events disrupted the process.

danielcw

Do we know, if the cast and crew of Mullany are released?
Can we even know?

It's sort of like how we knew* the week before the 2012 presidential election that Obama would win,

The show be cancelled is way more certain than any recent presidential election.
It also not based on statistics or polls or political musing, but some facts.

eggybob

Unconfirmed Member
I posted this in the wrong thread earlier but how likely is forever to get cancelled?
Last nights episode was really good.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
The show be cancelled is way more certain than any recent presidential election.
It also not based on statistics or polls or political musing, but some facts.

It's based on a fact (Mulaney had its order reduced) and an inference (Shows that don't get back orders don't get renewed). The inference is likely but not certain.

Alternatively, we could look at it without looking at the fact; we could use polls (Mulaney's ratings--ratings are polls--are bad) and an inference about polls (the sample is a reasonable proxy for the quantity we're trying to measure--in the election case, actual voter behaviour; in the TV ratings case, the commercial ad rate, which itself is an increasingly poor proxy for profitability and goodwill, which is what's actually driving renewals/cancellations) and an inference (Shows with bad ratings don't get renewed), but again the inferences are likely but not certain.

ivysaur is not going to make a bet with you that Mulaney will be renewed. Well, maybe if you offered him million-to-one odds, but certainly he would agree that it is extremely likely bordering on certain that the cancellation will occur. But what he's saying is paying out the bet prematurely makes no sense.

For TV shows we know that a show is cancelled: casts and crew are released, sets are struck, the show is pulled off the air. Even in cases where "networks haven't made a decision" like Siberia, the show has ceased to exist. Being released is important because there is a practice in Hollywood that you can sign contracts "in second position", meaning that you are contracted to two different shows. One of those shows has a higher priority and has a contractual right to expect you to show up to work than the other. The reason they allow you to sign two is precisely because often times there are cases where something is very likely but not certain, and they want people to be able to take advantage of opportunities that come up without making it so that if someone takes a contract elsewhere, the original show itself is hurt.

ivysaur12

Banned
It's based on a fact (Mulaney had its order reduced) and an inference (Shows that don't get back orders don't get renewed). The inference is likely but not certain.

Alternatively, we could look at it without looking at the fact; we could use polls (Mulaney's ratings--ratings are polls--are bad) and an inference about polls (the sample is a reasonable proxy for the quantity we're trying to measure--in the election case, actual voter behaviour; in the TV ratings case, the commercial ad rate, which itself is an increasingly poor proxy for profitability and goodwill, which is what's actually driving renewals/cancellations) and an inference (Shows with bad ratings don't get renewed), but again the inferences are likely but not certain.

ivysaur is not going to make a bet with you that Mulaney will be renewed. Well, maybe if you offered him million-to-one odds, but certainly he would agree that it is extremely likely bordering on certain that the cancellation will occur. But what he's saying is paying out the bet prematurely makes no sense.

For TV shows we know that a show is cancelled: casts and crew are released, sets are struck, the show is pulled off the air. Even in cases where "networks haven't made a decision" like Siberia, the show has ceased to exist. Being released is important because there is a practice in Hollywood that you can sign contracts "in second position", meaning that you are contracted to two different shows. One of those shows has a higher priority and has a contractual right to expect you to show up to work than the other. The reason they allow you to sign two is precisely because often times there are cases where something is very likely but not certain, and they want people to be able to take advantage of opportunities that come up without making it so that if someone takes a contract elsewhere, the original show itself is hurt.

I wasn't going to respond, but this is exactly what I would've said, except more eloquent than I could.

ivysaur12

Banned
Oh, right, of course. Thank you.

That's not to say that SHIELD will ever recover its ratings, just that, there's a reasonable reason to expect shows to face competition from another network that they otherwise weren't really competing with. SHIELD had been going against New Girl and Mindy, and now is going against the World Series. That's certainly not going to help.*

*hur dur Fan Excuse Bingo.

beat

What have you watched of it? It's honestly got some of the best fight choreography on network tv (I've heard Person of Interest is up there too but I haven't seen it). It still suffers from terrible lines, absurd love triangles, cliche' plot points though. I watch it pretty much exclusively for the action.
The AV Club called out the May-vs-May fight on SHIELD a week ago as being pretty awesome, and it was.

The AV Club called out the May-vs-May fight on SHIELD a week ago as being pretty awesome, and it was.

It was good as was May vs. Ward in S1 but overall Arrow's has been better much more often. I watch AoS, Arrow, and Flash and AoS is my favorite overall (as much as people crap on it for not featuring more everything-i-see-in-comics) but Arrow is definitely the best fight choreography of the three.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I didn't even know he had a pilot there. Really don't care for his videos. Unfunny and bordering on minstrel show territory.

I've never seen any of his videos (I really couldn't care less) but his pilot wasn't offensive or anything. Just an upbeat dude that does choreography with his friends.

ivysaur12

Banned
CBS just cut CSI's initial order from 22 to 18 and it's canceled and any reasoning for this is just silly pathetic fan excuse bingo.

ivysaur12

Banned
Basically, someone else make a website that has numbers as cleanly/quickly as TVBTN without the shitty editorialization and I will love you forever.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
American Horror Story was already renewed correct?

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
American Horror Story was already renewed correct?

Yeah I'm like 97% sure it was renewed already for another season.

I watched the Freak Show premiere, thought I would have the energy to stick with it, but I've lost interest already. Oh well.

DarkFlow

Banned
Where's hype for Ascension? I hope it's good. Even though it's a limited series, if ratings are good they'll renew it right?

S1A.jpg

I'm hyped for it, It's one of the shows I'm most looking forward too. As for it being limited, that just means if it stinks they can just lit it run it's course. Sleepy Hollow was limited, and since it did well they renewed it.

I remember when Fringe was on the Air. The last 3 season they pretty much made it a point to twist the knife has hard as they could to make it seem like it was getting canned every week. It was great fun to watch them be wrong for 3 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom