• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014-15 TV Cancellations: Under the Dome canned, what will CBS do with CG cows next?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ivysaur12

Banned
Wife and I started watching Resurrection from the beginning. Together time, so I sacrificed an hour of football......... now I kinda wish they'd cancel it. It's just like Under The Dome for me; started out with a good premise, then just got weird. I'd much rather they just focus on the lives of the people, and do away with the conspiracy stuff.

That's par for the course for that type of show, though. It's an IDEA! (people coming back!) without any actual emotional resonance to it or what it means. So it becomes a convoluted mess that digs deeper into The Conspiracy instead of trying to build actual emotional storytelling with people who act like humans.

(I've seen one episode of Resurrection, the first season finale, so I have no idea if this is true or not)

For a 3 season show, Mindy Project sure has had a ton of casting changes.
Really? Who has changed? I've been watching since the beginning and I don't recall changes. Certainly not to the main cast.

By the way, very funny show. Really hit its stride in season 2. Unlike New Girl, which completely hosed the romance between two characters, Mindy has gotten funnier with Mindy and Danny together.

And New Girl recognized it and has returned to form after splitting Nick and Jess up.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Really? Who has changed? I've been watching since the beginning and I don't recall changes. Certainly not to the main cast.

Are you kidding? Richard Schiff got cut after the pilot then they got rid of Mindy's blonde friend then got rid of the older nurse then brought back the older nurse then added Adam Pally then added the African-American nurse then got rid of the quiet younger nurse now they're getting rid of Adam Pally. That's just the main/supporting cast and I'm probably missing a few. Also I think Stephen Toblowosky bobbed in and out of the cast during this period. Oh also the first receptionist.

Are you kidding? Richard Schiff got cut after the pilot then they got rid of Mindy's blonde friend then got rid of the older nurse then brought back the older nurse then added Adam Pally then added the African-American nurse then got rid of the quiet younger nurse now they're getting rid of Adam Pally. That's just the main/supporting cast and I'm probably missing a few. Also I think Stephen Toblowosky bobbed in and out of the cast during this period. Oh also the first receptionist.
:jnc I don't even remember Schiff being in it.

I sort of remember Mindy's blonde friend but obviously don't miss her.

Now that you mention it, the young nurse who had the hots for the doctor is gone. Huh. Again, hadn't noticed. No big loss.

Didn't realize Pally was leaving the show. That's a bummer.

The older nurse and the African American nurse have been somewhat mainstays, though I remember them firing the older nurse and then bringing her back. Actually thought it was part of the storyline, not a cast change.

I guess I consider the core cast to be Mindy, Danny, Morgan and Jeremy. And yes looking through the cast on IMDB just now they've definitely recycled the nurses quite a bit. I guess the fact that the show really revolves around the core... I just never noticed all the ins and outs.

G0523

For a 3 season show, Mindy Project sure has had a ton of casting changes.
Fixed! Stump named pretty much everyone. Also sucks how they don't really give anyone anything to do except for Mindy, Danny, and Morgan to tack on the weird. Even Jeremy who is one of the leads from the very beginning just seems to meander about.

I'm also noticing a lot of "pretending to be someone else to get my way" storylines this season. It's getting kinda tiring. Hopefully they'll freshen it up a bit soon.

Emphatic yes. I mean, there's your teen drama, but I think it's one of my favourite queer positive shows in recent years. It even covers a topic - in a serious, non-trivial manner - that I have only seen once before on television (specifically Japanese television), which makes it even more exciting that what you might think a typical teen gay and lesbian MTV soap opera might be.

Plus, it's only 20 minutes per episode, so it's not that huge a commitment.

Yes. It's not a must watch, but it's fun, characters are nice and acting is good.

Yes, fun show. Goes well with Awkward.
Thanks, I think I might give it a go. I gave up on Awkward though. :/

Zizbuka

Banned
That's par for the course for that type of show, though. It's an IDEA! (people coming back!) without any actual emotional resonance to it or what it means. So it becomes a convoluted mess that digs deeper into The Conspiracy instead of trying to build actual emotional storytelling with people who act like humans.

(I've seen one episode of Resurrection, the first season finale, so I have no idea if this is true or not)

Unfortunately, that's about the jist of it. I tried to keep myself from getting too negative, too quickly..... I mean people rose from the dead, decades later, and you'd think it was an every day thing. Same with Under The Dome, they dropped a dome on your city and you're immediately figuring out a way to benefit from it?

ivysaur12

Banned
I… hm… hmmm

http://www.hitfix.com/the-fien-print/hitfix-first-look-love-hurts-for-jay-baruchel-in-new-man-seeking-woman-promos

qmggD6H.jpg

Sober

A.V. Club: The worst TV of 2014

I'd agree with their assessment in pretty much everything that I watched from the list. Bit surprised they say that Selfie had promise. I thought it was predictable and kind of stupid in the few episodes I watched before dropping it.
I would say the Selfie pilot was kinda misrepresentative of what the show was supposed to be about, as it sorta led off with MY FAIR LADY a bit too strongly without making Cho's character much of anything except the man to save it all. It quickly course-corrected but guess first impressions are sometimes really important.

Also re. the canceled rom-coms:

MLS = boring rom com about white people from Manhattan being white and first world problems amplified to unfunny levels. I mean the second episode was like the 3 siblings bickering about who made more money.

A to Z = charming as hell but probably too saccharine for most people's tastes

Selfie = bad first impression, the name probably works against it too for people not familiar with Kapnek (or like her style to begin with to stick with it)

Also I'm mostly ambivalent to voice overs and only the really bad ones really get to me but it is true that Jane The Virgin's VO pretty much just shames the shit out of everyone else's.

beat

A to Z = charming as hell but probably too saccharine for most people's tastes
Strongly disagree. The saccharine was confined to the Andrew + Zelda interactions, and not even 100% of them, but for a show called "A to Z" about "Andrew" and "Zelda" and purporting in the title sequence narration to be an account of their relationship, the show was almost never actually about the lead couple. Huge amounts of time were spent on painfully unfunny sidekicks, some episodes were actually titled for sidekick plots, and the workplace comedy was gruesomely unfunny too. They cast the two leads well, the romance was passably written, and then they surrounded it with big heaps of garbage to fill it into a complete show.

I will agree that the few times A + Z were onscreen together were charming, though.

ivysaur12

Banned
I honestly think some of the critical love that circled back for Selfie was due to the show's underdog status and the fact that critics seem to connect with cute over funny or POV. See Trophy Wife, which I never found funny, but was charming and had no idea what it was. Charm - funny + low ratings = Critical love.
Fuck you, get off my lawn, basically.

beat

I honestly think some of the critical love that circled back for Selfie was due to the show's underdog status and the fact that critics seem to connect with cute over funny or POV. See Trophy Wife, which I never found funny, but was charming and had no idea what it was. Charm - funny + low ratings = Critical love.
Fuck you, get off my lawn, basically.

IMO Trophy Wife was reasonably funny, definitely charming, and had far more sense of what it was/wanted to be than A to Z or Selfie. All the adult characters and most of the kids were well-defined characters. With A to Z or Selfie, most of the characters were wild caricatures that varied from episode to episode as jokes required.

Selfie, I dunno, I gotta circle back and watch the later episodes, but eps 1-3 were kinda floundering, IMO. (I've heard 4-6 were really good.) For me, Kapnek's last two shows have been wildly inconsistent because they pitch well (I assume) but have unsustainable premises, further burdened (to my taste, anyways) by an extremely stylized world that doesn't quite have the completeness (?) of a top notch Bryan Fuller show, say. I mean, Fuller's shows have even more stylized, weird worlds than Suburgatory or Selfie, but I accept those. Or consider Don't Trust the B in Apt 23: also a unique worldview, but it's more internally consistent and a more solid foundation for comedy than either Suburgatory or Selfie had.

tl;dr: I didn't really like Selfie that much.

TripOpt55

I thought the early eps of Selfie were pretty rough, but it really grew on me a lot. The latest episode which didn't air and was just uploaded online was my favorite. David Harewood is especially hilarious for a side character too. His delivery is fantastic. Eliza is really fun too. It is way better than A to Z in my opinion. I even like it better than Marry Me based on what I've seen so far. Not that it has been a great group, but it is my favorite new network comedy this Fall other than Black-ish which I think is clearly the best of the bunch.

beat

NBC is gonna run the final season of Parks and Recreation in seven hour long blocks over seven weeks. They're saying this is to "event-ize" the final season, which is one of the dumbest euphemisms for "burn off" I've ever heard. And it makes me wonder if whatever Zucker had been huffing was left behind for the execs who followed him

ivysaur12

Banned
NBC is gonna run the final season of Parks and Recreation in seven hour long blocks over seven weeks. They're saying this is to "event-ize" the final season, which is one of the dumbest euphemisms for "burn off" I've ever heard. And it makes me wonder if whatever Zucker had been huffing was left behind for the execs who followed him

I sort of get it -- it's a very low rated show in its final season. It's not a launching pad for anything and it got a 7th season by the grace of everything else doing poorly. It's to the point now where its ratings are prohibitive towards the cost of NBC keeping it going, and it probably won't make a huge splash no matter where it goes.

Mr. Robinson will get similar treatment and One Big Happy will go in the summer with Undateable. There really wasn't any other place for it, and it does solve a bit of a problem they have when The Voice isn't around in the Winter.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Selfie grew on me. It had a pretty decent supporting cast. I consistently laughed at every scene David Harewood was in.

I do have to agree with a lot of the points in that article, especially in regards to The Simpsons/Family Guy crossover. I know people saying both shows are long in tooth is cliche, but that episode was actually physically exhausting to watch. Neither show was really bothering me until that point. I'd watch them on Hulu if I got bored, but I wouldn't really be upset if I missed an episode of an entire season even. But now I just want to avoid both shows, it really soured me.

I would have liked A to Z more if the relationship had built a little slower. I know the entire premise is us watching their relationship, but courtship is part of that process. That's just a personal preference on my part.

I think biggest winner this Fall for me was Black-ish.

Parks and Rec burn off is fine with me. There isn't really a lot of buzz about this being the end. Anecdotal, but I know a lot of 20 somethings that watch the show, but not one of them watches it live, or has even kept up on Hulu. Lots of Netflix binge types. I probably won't keep up with the final season until it's done. Hour long comedy formats wear me out, I was never in love with it when The Office did it.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
when IS parks & rec coming back anyway?

- Monday numbers from SBD:
NBC: After THE VOICE crept up 0.1 from last week to 2.7 (down 20% from the parallel night last season), STATE OF AFFAIRS grew by 0.1 to 1.6, enough to win its hour pending afternoon adjustments. However, that win comes with multiple asterisks: it had half the rating THE BLACKLIST did on the same night last year (and was 30% or more below recent BLACKLIST ratings), it faced a weak rerun on CBS, and it declined through the course of the hour so that it was tied by ABC from the 10:30PM mark on. None of these are promising signs.

ABC: The CMA COUNTRY CHRISTMAS special was up 0.1 from last year’s edition to 1.6, but it didn’t do much for CASTLE, which fell 0.2 to 1.5.

FOX: After a GOTHAM rerun (1.0), the fall finale of SLEEPY HOLLOW rose 0.1 to 1.5.

CBS: A night of reruns, with 4 back-to-back MIKE & MOLLY episodes (all at 1.1-1.2) followed by a run of SCORPION (1.0).

CW: Both the night’s rerun holiday special GRANDMA GOT RUN OVER BY A REINDEER and the new GREATEST HOLIDAY COMMERCIALS were at 0.4.
More via the link.

Patryn

I'm sure a good number of people who dropped Selfie were expecting Amy Pond and then didn't get Amy Pond.

I'd be curious to see how it did in a world where they let her keep her native accent on the show.

I don't expect remarkably better, but I think it would have been higher.

I'd be curious to see how it did in a world where they let her keep her native accent on the show.

I just found Selfie to not be funny at all. However, I think having Karen keep her accent would've helped some.

beat

Would the dialogue have still been as clunky? Would the portrayal of internet culture have still been as weirdly wrong?

A.V. Club: The worst TV of 2014

I'd agree with their assessment in pretty much everything that I watched from the list. Bit surprised they say that Selfie had promise. I thought it was predictable and kind of stupid in the few episodes I watched before dropping it.

I really don't understand the universal hate towards Stalker. It's not any worse than the dozens of procedurals out there. It's completely harmless, there's nothing offensively bad about it, it's just another meh show. I could name dozens of worse shows with little effort.

Sojgat

I really don't understand the universal hate towards Stalker. It's not any worse than the dozens of procedurals out there. It's completely harmless, there's nothing offensively bad about it, it's just another meh show. I could name dozens of worse shows with little effort.

AV Club article makes me feel like a bad person for actually liking it (mainly for the leads).

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
I watched two episodes of Bad Judge. Didn't enjoy it. Glad it's gone because now there's hope that Kate Walsh will return to Grey's Anatomy.
Is there though? I thought she made it pretty clear she was glad to move on from that character. A guest appearance or seven could be nice, but I doubt she'd make a full-time return, as much as I would love that.

EDIT: Just looked her up and found a more recent interview that said she would be interested in coming back. Hm. One can hope.

Sober

I don't know what's dumber, TVBTN editorializing or TVBTN comments.

Probably the second by virtue of sheer volume.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
I don't know what's dumber, TVBTN editorializing or TVBTN comments.

Probably the second by virtue of sheer volume.

The Cancellation Bear sure spewed some smarmy bullshit about the media concerning Red Band Society:

The Cancellation Bear said:
Red Band Society has been canceled. No more episodes will be ordered, and the show is off Fox's schedule after only 10 of the 13 episodes ordered have aired.

Yet, TV Guide, The Hollywood Reporter, and Entertainment Weekly, among other members of the kiss up TV media maintain that a second season is merely "unlikely" or "in doubt", as if there were some chance it might happen. Why anyone pays any attention to those purveyors of nonsense is beyond the comprehension of the Cancellation Bear.

This from the guy who thought The Millers was a sure thing for renewal.

Penguin

The Cancellation Bear sure spewed some smarmy bullshit about the media concerning Red Band Society:

At this point, I have to imagine it is some weird meta-commentary or parody.

Eh, TVBTN is pretty damn annoying, but it does get really tiring reading articles where sites act like something that was as big a flop as RBS has a shot of coming back, so I can understand the "smarmy bullshit".

Seems like Toy Story/Charlie Brown proved fruitful to SHIELD's ratings

It was probably more due to the fact that CBS was reruns.

G0523

Red Band Society has been canceled. No more episodes will be ordered, and the show is off Fox's schedule after only 10 of the 13 episodes ordered have aired.

Yet, TV Guide, The Hollywood Reporter, and Entertainment Weekly, among other members of the kiss up TV media maintain that a second season is merely "unlikely" or "in doubt", as if there were some chance it might happen. Why anyone pays any attention to those purveyors of nonsense is beyond the comprehension of the Cancellation Bear.

Did you see what they posted about Constantine? They're writing that show off as cancelled too!

Constantine has been canceled. NBC opted to not pick up the back 9 episode order for the rookie drama. In recent memory, every Fall premiere rookie show intended for a full season that was ended after 13 or fewer episodes (in a non WGA strike season) was canceled.

Against that reality, the PR Jedi at Warner Brothers have mounted an impressive (most impressive) mind tricks campaign that has maintained the delusions of many of Constantine's desperate fans in their internet echo chamber.

Here's a sample of the mind tricks in the Constantine fan echo chamber:

"It has the full support of the network!" - Like all shows still on the air, always.
"It's still in production!" - Canceled rookie shows typically produce their entire 13 episode orders. This season, only Selfie & Manhattan Love Story won't produce 13 episodes.
"The stars were in the Macy's Thanksgiving Parade!" - Show promotion continues until ads are no longer being sold.

What the hell?! I will laugh my ass off if NBC decides to renew Constantine like they have with Hannibal.

Did you see what they posted about Constantine? They're writing that show off as cancelled too!

What the hell?! I will laugh my ass off if NBC decides to renew Constantine like they have with Hannibal.

I'd put down Constantine as coming back for sure.

It's the community of demon slaying

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom