• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014-15 TV Cancellations: Under the Dome canned, what will CBS do with CG cows next?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
Has Constantine gotten any better? I don't think I even finished the second episode. My friend is on it tonight though, which I sort of want to see. Has it been very plot of the week, or should I catch up on everything before tonight's?

ivysaur12

Banned
A 2.3 is still higher than every single show on NBC, save for The Voice and The Blacklist, so…

Not to mention the DVD comes out in 10 days just in time for Christmas.

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
Ouch, thats a massive fall.

How about they use Broadway singers for their musicals?

Idina would have pulled 10+
To be fair, they used quite a bit of stage actors in this one. Williams was a total fail casting-wise though, as was the choice of musical itself.

A 2.3 is still higher than every single show on NBC, save for The Voice and The Blacklist, so...
Neither of those are incredibly hyped up one-time events though.

Isn't someone doing a live Grease soon? Fox maybe? I'll be interested to see how those ratings are in comparison.

Prompto

Banned
A 2.3 is still higher than every single show on NBC, save for The Voice and The Blacklist, so…

iiSf8z9.gif

Time to celebrate!

Just for fun, Community premiered to a 3.8

To be fair, they used quite a bit of stage actors in this one. Williams was a total fail casting-wise though, as was the choice of musical itself.

Agreed. Id never heard of any of the two main actors.

And after the Once Upon a Time shit-fest, who wants more Peter Pan?

Now, a live version of Wicked, featuring the original cast would compete with the Super Bowl

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
Now, a live version of Wicked, featuring the original cast would compete with the Super Bowl
Except for the fact that those actors are way too old for those parts now. I guess if you cover Idina in green she could still pull it off, but Cheno looked too old to begin with in the original production.

That musical is doing so well still that they can't even get a movie of it produced without fearing it will diminish Broadway box office returns. They'd never put that up on TV while it's still running in multiple productions around the world.

Except for the fact that those actors are way too old for those parts now. I guess if you cover Idina in green she could still pull it off, but Cheno looked too old to begin with in the original production.

Shes 46, not 90, and people love her.

That musical is doing so well still that they can't even get a movie of it produced without fearing it will diminish Broadway box office returns. They'd never put that up on TV while it's still running in multiple productions around the world.

I disagree. A movie can be a substitute to Broadway because you can buy it and watch it whenever. A one time TV event? Not so much.

Also, Im sure a TV event would drive more people to the theater show.

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
Also, Im sure a TV event would drive more people to the theater show.
They don't need a TV event to drive more people to see the show.

It's still on Broadway –– and a top grossing Broadway production each week at that.

It currently has two US national tours out. I believe one might be wrapping up, but the other is still going strong and has dates scheduled through Fall 2015.

It's playing in London and has a UK tour that is still up and running.

It has a production going around Australia right now, I think.

It's also been in Korea I believe, Japan, Germany, I'm not sure where else. If there was an easily accessible and comprehensive list of places that it's still running that I could post, I would.

And on top of all that, I would argue that a movie would be better for the Broadway show than putting the Broadway show itself on TV. You don't want audiences to see your exact product on TV. Why go see it live, especially when a trip to New York can get rather expensive, when you can just replay the DVRed recording? Or the DVD, which would surely be released just like Sound of Music was.

Anyway, sorry, didn't mean to derail the thread. I work in theater in New York. I am hugely supportive of them putting these live productions on TV. Peter Pan was a terrible choice though, and I would be shocked if Wicked happened anytime soon. Don't get your hopes up. A film adaptation would be far more likely to get off the ground first, and even that seems to be a ways off based on recent interviews with Stephen Schwartz.

Meier

Peter Pan did a 2.3, down from a 4.6 for Sound of Music.

Sounds like NBC is being very defensive about the number.

Kind of surprising.. seemed like a lot of folks were talking about it online on Twitter and I don't follow a huge number (like 290 people or something).

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Peter Pan was a terrible choice though
I'd argue that The Sound of Music was a worse choice. Yes it did great ratings wise but there was no way it could live up to the movie that everyone has seen multiple times and the casting of Carrie Underwood (who everyone naturally compared to Julie Andrews because she was so iconic in that role) had no shot of turning out well. Underwood's casting wasn't good but sadly she's probably why so many people tuned in while nobody gives a shit about Allison Williams in Peter Pan and that contributed to it doing way worse (as well as Peter Pan not being as beloved as The Sound of Music). That's my problem with the idea for live musicals like this on TV. They'll never have the top theatre talent headlining them because it won't sell to the average person watching at home and if they just use singers like they did with Underwood then the acting suffers while using known actors would most likely make the singing suffer because it's live and not studio recorded like with movies.

real talk. I like Forever :(

the main is charming, the girl is cute, the idea is cool. fuck all of youse! :(
Love this show. Ioan Gruffold has amazing screen presence. The way it plays with its concept with such whimsical but serious nature unmatched in television today. Like any good procedural or fine cheese, it feels like it's aged five years.

RetroMG

real talk. I like Forever :(

the main is charming, the girl is cute, the idea is cool. fuck all of youse! :(

Holy cow, this post made me think Forever had been cancelled. I think it's pretty okay, but my wife LOVES it. She would have been very sad.

Also glad that Legends got renewed. I liked that one.

I don't know what to make of Benched. Eliza Coupe is whacky and cute, with a little bit of trailer park in her which is fitting for the show. USA anetwork just seems to be going through puberty right now....

tim.mbp

I've only seen catch me if you can and antz

You should watch Pulp Fiction someday.

I think it fairly easy to not really know who Walken is. The Deer Hunter was in 78 and he doesn't take many lead roles. He's probably most known for Saturday Night Live hosting these days.

ggnoobIGN

Banned
Anyone watching this How Watson saved Christmas on NBC? Adult oriented Christmas animated tv special. I'm guessing it's going to bomb hard.

You should watch Pulp Fiction someday.

I think it fairly easy to not really know who Walken is. The Deer Hunter was in 78 and he doesn't take many lead roles. He's probably most known for Saturday Night Live hosting these days.

Really? I mean Balls of Fury, Hairspray, Click, and Wedding Crashers are pretty well known big name movies that, even if some aren't super recent seem like an average person could come across quite easily and end up watching on basic cable.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
That is not a mainstream list of credits he has.

What?

He was in Batman Returns, he was in a Bond film (A View to a Kill, as the main villain), he's been on Saturday Night Live like a hundred times ... this guy is in the public zeitgeist

Not even counting the movies others mentioned above — Pulp Fiction, Wedding Crashers, the one you saw him in (Catch Me If You Can).

I mean, shit, he was even in the PC game Privateer 2. I've been encountering this guy in media all my life, and you've never even heard of him.

Consider me stunned.

What?

He was in Batman Returns, he was in a Bond film (A View to a Kill, as the main villain), he's been on Saturday Night Live like a hundred times ... this guy is in the public zeitgeist

Not even counting the movies others mentioned above — Pulp Fiction, Wedding Crashers, the one you saw him in (Catch Me If You Can).

I mean, shit, he was even in the PC game Privateer 2. I've been encountering this guy in media all my life, and you've never even heard of him.

Consider me stunned.

I feel the same way, but most of his big stuff is pre-2000, so I wouldn't be stunned. I wouldn't expect people under 20 to know who he is, for instance.

tchocky

I feel the same way, but most of his big stuff is pre-2000, so I wouldn't be stunned. I wouldn't expect people under 20 to know who he is, for instance.

I think he is one of those actor even if you have not seen any of his movies you would be aware of them because they are iconic like Al Pacino and Meryl Streep and I would put Walken in that category (not necessarily acting talent but iconic status).

I don't get the confusion.

Dude could be in ten thousand movies.

If I only saw one where he played a cameo role, why would I know who he is?

Oh is that starting tonight...? saw some previews on Space and it looked cool.
Tomorrow. Finally bringing some entertainment to Sunday nights. It's like when everyone got to read The Great Gatsby in literature class. Finally a show with some plot and adventure to clear up such a murky night.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom