• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014-15 TV Cancellations: Under the Dome canned, what will CBS do with CG cows next?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jigorath

Banned
latest brooklyn nine nine was so good, I would like to announce the day the show is canceled, I am sacrificing Ivy to G'Naarghtmawl, the demon god of canceled tv shows

sorry Ivy :/

It's FOX's highest rated live action sitcom. It's going to be fine.

I'm getting nervous for the spring season of CW. They haven't announced any premiere dates yet and there are bound to be some Warners/CBS wars taking place.

Sober

Top 10 list is gonna be hard considering Shameless aired back at the start of the year. Also Cosmos was this year.

2014!!!

beat

Yeah, when you need to wind up an entire long-running series in the last 5 minutes you might want to ask the network for an extra 30. God, that episode was a mess.

The last season of HIMYM was a mess by design because they committed so hard to their planned ending that they ended up having to spend the final season spinning their wheels on the Barney-Robin wedding
that the finale undid anyways
. Not nearly enough flash-forwards in the final season, so then the finale has to do all that work. And even so, the last five minutes wouldn't have been that much better if it'd been an extra 30. They could have done more, yes, but I think structurally it would have come out about the same because they'd probably still want to save that final twist for the last few minutes and it still would have sucked if they did that.

Sober

Watch the alternate ending for HIMYM.

then be completely depressed that they actually considered that at least but doubled down on the ending they shot 6 or 7 years ago

Top 10 list is gonna be hard considering Shameless aired back at the start of the year. Also Cosmos was this year.

2014!!!

What's hard about it? Shameless has a definite spot in my top 10, the only question is how high it will be.

Hell, I'm going to have so much Showtime stuff on my list that I'll probably get accused of being on their payroll.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
guys... I forgot how good the americans was :(

when does season 3 start again? I know Justified is always early (january?), so is the americans spring-ish?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
The Americans starts Jan 28th. I posted a new trailer today in the thread, too.

oh shit, really? wait is Justified later then, or are both at the same time? that seems silly if so on FXs part. and I cant watch that trailer because I havent watched season 2 :(

ivysaur12

Banned
You guys finally gave Rafa a tag!

Truly one of the many gems of TV-GAF.

Its-so-beautiful-Happy-Endings.gif

oh shit, really? wait is Justified later then, or are both at the same time? that seems silly if so on FXs part. and I cant watch that trailer because I havent watched season 2 :(
Justified is on Tuesdays starting January 20th.

Season 2 of The Americans is fantastic.

Matush

How come I never heard of CCs "Review" up until now? It's amazing and humor is right up at my alley. Some "reviews" are really awesome.

Not sure if it counts as new.

Oh yeah, The Americans is not great, it's just a little bit better than The Bridge. It's leagues below Justified and Fargo. That season 2 ending? Lol.
I've gone into greater detail in my old post if someone is interested.
Season 1 is better than season 2. It's watchable, but i felt like there wasn't anything special about it. After all the praise this show got i expected something a little bit better.
Season 2 on other hand is a lot worse. It starts ok, but it drags in the middle, and closer to the end writing becomes just silly.
Season 2 spoilers
1) So Larrick becomes the one who sets things in motion. He kills guy on the phones and Kate. I don't even want to know how he found them. By some number in phone company? Where did he get it in the first place?
2) Paige church subplot? Just no. Any other show would get so much shit for it.
3) And finally BIG TWIST REVEAL. 2 trained spies and their daughter were killed by their son. WHAAAAAAAT?
But why? We'll know why in a 3 minute scene where son in question gets shot and is chocking with blood. "SO YEAH, THERE WAS THIS HOT RED HEAD KGB AGENT, THAT I WANTED TO FUCK SO BAD. BUT MY DADDY WOULDN'T LET ME DO IT, SO I KILLED THEM ALL".
Wow. I mean, it's not good writing.
I'll admit i'm a little puzzled by all the acclaim this show gets from critics and on GAF.

Rhaknar

I really enjoyed a lot about The Americans season 2, except for the ending, which I thought was truly stupid.

for as much as I liked season 1, I thought the ending was quite underwhelming

maxcriden

....Maybe I don't post here as much as I thought I did, but none of you guys congratulated me on *my* fancy new tag a month ago. ;__;

Rhaknar

what happened to that LA Noir (not related to the game) show with the dude from walking dead? that never happened?

Rhaknar

lol

it aired last December on TNT as Mob City. Cancelled after the first season.

oh, never even heard of that. oh well

next season of Justified is the last right? where am I gonna get my Goggins fix after? :(

Rhaknar

holy shit never even heard of that movie, dat cast o_O

Oh yeah, The Americans is not great, it's just a little bit better than The Bridge. It's leagues below Justified and Fargo. That season 2 ending? Lol.
I've gone into greater detail in my old post if someone is interested.

I thought season 2 was better than season 1 but I've never been able to see what so many critics see in it. It's in no danger of ever making my top ten for any year.

Tokubetsu

s2 of the bridge was exactly what I wanted out of the show. Basically a pulp version of The Wire. Complex and ambitious as hell, but they nailed it. Sad it got canned but it went out on a high note.

- Tuesday numbers from SBD

CBS: The 50th anniversary airing of RUDOLPH THE RED-NOSED REINDEER, despite being down 0.2 from last year’s broadcast to 2.8, didn’t just wallop the competing holiday programming on ABC, it convincingly beat THE VOICE–not bad for a differently abled, seriously aging reindeer. Even bigger, though, was the VICTORIA’S SECRET FASHION SHOW, which although once again down 0.1 from last year to 3.3, tripled its nearest competition–which was made up of new programming, not reruns. In between the two smashes, a rerun of NCIS had a strong 1.7.

NBC: The network’s rating last night was a whopping 40% below the parallel night last season. THE VOICE, which is swiftly moving into “moderate success” territory, hit a new series low, down 0.4 from last week to 2.2. That was naturally bad news for the sitcoms that followed, and MARRY ME fell 0.1 to 1.2, with ABOUT A BOY down 0.2 to 0.9 (tying its series low). No one had much interest in the infomercial for the network’s parent studio’s UNBROKEN movie, couched as an NBC NEWS SPECIAL about Angelina Jolie which drew a 1.0.

ABC: SANTA CLAUS IS COMING TO TOWN ran directly into the RUDOLPH buzz-saw, dropping half a point from last year to 1.1. With that lead-in, the midseason finale of AGENTS OF SHIELD did OK in slipping just 0.1 to 1.7. The midseason finale of FOREVER was also down 0.1 to 1.1.

FOX: After MASTERCHEF JR proved steady at 1.6, the night’s sitcoms continued their mild renaissance, with NEW GIRL up 0.1 to 1.5 (beating NBC’s sitcom by 0.3), and THE MINDY PROJECT up 0.1 to 1.2 (also ahead of NBC by 0.3).

CW: The midseason finale of THE FLASH maintained the show’s scorching pace at 1.5, down 0.1 from last week’s ARROW crossover. SUPERNATURAL’s midseason finale was up 0.2 to 1.1.

I'm just looking forward to putting The Following at number one, because true art deserves to be rewarded.
Classic dead souls

- A few Netflix numbers from a CBS presentation during the UBS Global Media Conference:
Poltrack, during his presentation, shared research about Netflix viewing habits. According to the research, Netflix users watched an estimated 1.1 billion hours' worth of Netflix's five original series last year, while streaming repeats of the CBS hit show "NCIS" on its own accounted for 800 million hours of viewing.

Poltrack also said that Netflix's original shows added up to just 6.6% of the service's adult viewership -- assuming viewers watched each episode just once.

Much of the rest of the viewing is of network shows licensed by Netflix.

NBC's "The Blacklist" and ABC's "Once Upon A Time" led the way, according to Poltrack's research, accounting for 7% of Netflix's viewership.

Also, another Netflix note:
At a conference on Monday, the streaming company announced a new plan to roll out up to 20 original series or seasons of original shows per year. Netflix chief content officer Ted Sarandos said the company's five-year goal is to premiere a new show or season every two-and-a-half weeks. That means a whole lot of binge-watching. But Sarandos noted that there won't be "a new show for everybody, every two-and-a-half weeks," but shows that cater to "specialized" audiences.

ivysaur12

Banned

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Will definitely make both our lists, right? :)

hell no :D

- A few Netflix numbers from a CBS presentation during the UBS Global Media Conference:

the streaming company announced a new plan to roll out up to 20 original series or seasons of original shows per year. Netflix chief content officer Ted Sarandos said the company's five-year goal is to premiere a new show or season every two-and-a-half weeks. That means a whole lot of binge-watching. But Sarandos noted that there won't be "a new show for everybody, every two-and-a-half weeks," but shows that cater to "specialized" audiences.

:O

wow

Let's remember this next time that GAF complains that Netflix is spending money on broadcast shows versus spending all of their capital making their own content.

Remember all the: "Netflix is spending $2 million dollars an episode for The Blacklist?! What a waste!" posts? Yeah.

Rhaknar

speaking of The Blacklist, whats up with them going on hyatus so early? the last episode was like 1 month ago, and I assume it wont be back until after the holidays by now

speaking of The Blacklist, whats up with them going on hyatus so early? the last episode was like 1 month ago, and I assume it wont be back until after the holidays by now
They, like most other dramas nowadays air their episodes straight through in the fall, have a winter finale then take a winter break and air the rest of the episodes in the spring straight through a couple of months later.
It's vastly preferable to having a whole bunch of small breaks through the season.
As to your question, The Blacklist returns February 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom