• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014-15 TV Cancellations: Under the Dome canned, what will CBS do with CG cows next?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It has the highest ratings of any show on the network in years.

It's safe.

I'm scared for Jane the Virgin. Though honestly, there's only so far you can take the material.

I'm going to guess the critical reception/attention it's been getting that CW shows typically don't get could play into having a better chance of making it to a second season despite its current ratings.

Joni

I'm going to guess the critical reception/attention it's been getting that CW shows typically don't get could play into having a better chance of making it to a second season despite its current ratings.
It will be more internal politics that decides on the faith of Jane.

ivysaur12

Banned
Happy Endings takes writers from last season of Scrubs, Happy Endings takes Cougar Town's timeslot, Cougar Town gets canceled, Cougar Town gets renewed, Happy Endings gets canceled, Undateable takes Marry Me's timeslot. WHAT DO BILL AND CASPE THINK OF EACH OTHER?!

(Undateable is better than Marry Me, but Happy Endings was better than Cougar Town. Which, I, like, still don't understand what the point is besides pleasant 40 year olds thinking drinking wine is fun)

Patryn

Cougar Town is kind of like if the cast of Friends grew up, got into wine instead of coffee, moved to Florida and things got vaguely surreal.

beat

(Undateable is better than Marry Me, but Happy Endings was better than Cougar Town. Which, I, like, still don't understand what the point is besides pleasant 40 year olds thinking drinking wine is fun)
Like Patryn said, Cougar Town is basically an older Friends. A hangout sitcom for 40 somethings. HE was a hangout sitcom for late 20s/early 30s, so basically same as Friends.

I really should watch Undateable. Can anyone describe it for me in terms of other Bill Lawrence shows, most of which I have watched?

explicit_snark

Neo Member
The Michael J Fox Show was actually pretty funny, plus it was nice to see Marie from Breaking Bad in a role that didn't make her look like an enormous bitch

ivysaur12

Banned
Like Patryn said, Cougar Town is basically an older Friends. A hangout sitcom for 40 somethings. HE was a hangout sitcom for late 20s/early 30s, so basically same as Friends.

I really should watch Undateable. Can anyone describe it for me in terms of other Bill Lawrence shows, most of which I have watched?

I've seen maybe a half dozen random episodes of Cougar Town and I found it twee and silly rather than pleasant. Dunno. Diff'rent strokes, I suppose.

I much prefer Undateable to Cougar Town.

ivysaur12

Banned
Also, let's remember that Undateable has the hottest showrunner in town, Adam Sztykiel.

IUOd61Q.jpg

G0523

I've seen maybe a half dozen random episodes of Cougar Town and I found it twee and silly rather than pleasant. Dunno. Diff'rent strokes, I suppose.

I still have it in my head that Cougar Town is a good mix of both Friends and Scrubs. It helps that it had guest stars from both shows. As a big fan of both, it was pretty surreal to see the casts mix. It was like the situation/premise of Friends and the comedy of Scrubs fused together to create a show about 40-year olds hanging out and drinking wine. It was awesome.

beat

Didn't they announce this back in May? Having Bad Judge and A to Z cancelled a month ago cemented it anyway. Not sure why The AV Club has an article about it now.
It's not really official until NBC sets their midseason schedule.

In one word, awful. It's about this horribly miscast "cool" guy that's a hit with the ladies showing his loser roommate tactics on how to date women. Throw an awful cast of loser friends around to round out the awfulness. I wouldn't bother with it.

I'll let this slide because you can't get the awesomeness that is Cougar Town from a few random episodes here and there. It took a while for the show to understand what it was, but once it did (around mid season 1, and also the time the name no longer described the show for what it is) it's been a great ride. My wife says she would absolutely love to hang out with the gang. You really buy that they're friends. And it's infinitely better than Undateable.

ivysaur12

Banned
In one word, awful. It's about this horribly miscast "cool" guy that's a hit with the ladies showing his loser roommate tactics on how to date women. Throw an awful cast of loser friends around to round out the awfulness. I wouldn't bother with it.

I'll let this slide because you can't get the awesomeness that is Cougar Town from a few random episodes here and there. It took a while for the show to understand what it was, but once it did (around mid season 1, and also the time the name no longer described the show for what it is) it's been a great ride. My wife says she would absolutely love to hang out with the gang. You really buy that they're friends. And it's infinitely better than Undateable.

Yeah, I've seen enough Cougar Town to be comfortable in really disliking it. Not funny at all and not for me. Undateable is more clearer, much punchier, and probably has a better cast. This also isn't me being contrarian -- Cougar Town exists in a world of "sweet" comedy that isn't actually funny, much like Trophy Wife (though, Trophy Wife was funnier because of Bert). There isn't really anything about Cougar Town that's appealing outside of Busy Phillips really trying to give it her best.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yeah, I've seen enough Cougar Town to be comfortable in really disliking it. Not funny at all and not for me. Undateable is more clearer, much punchier, and probably has a better cast. This also isn't me being contrarian -- Cougar Town exists in a world of "sweet" comedy that isn't actually funny, much like Trophy Wife (though, Trophy Wife was funnier because of Bert). There isn't really anything about Cougar Town that's appealing outside of Busy Phillips really trying to give it her best.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Is this real life? I can understand your not liking Cougar Town, it might not be for everyone (though I maintain it needs to be watched in order to see the dynamics of the characters evolve, which is the meat of the show), but Undateable having a better cast? Just no.

And Trophy Wife was very entertaining and I'm sad it got canceled. Last year's Selfie (which I'm gonna go ahead and guess you hate as well). I guess I don't need to be laughing all the time with the comedies I watch, just be generally entertained and amused.

I guess our tastes in comedy could not be more different (and that's ok!). I've yet to even chuckle at an episode of Undateable and I've watched 10 of them. Most of my time with the show is spent cringing or actively being offended by how bad it is. Among the worst comedies I've seen this year (I haven't seen them all though, so there might be worse stuff out there). The wife also hates it and doesn't buy the "cool" guy could ever get laid.

ivysaur12

Banned
Is this real life? I can understand your not liking Cougar Town, it might not be for everyone (though I maintain it needs to be watched in order to see the dynamics of the characters evolve, which is the meat of the show), but Undateable having a better cast? Just no.

And Trophy Wife was very entertaining and I'm sad it got canceled. Last year's Selfie (which I'm gonna go ahead and guess you hate as well). I guess I don't need to be laughing all the time with the comedies I watch, just be generally entertained and amused.

I guess our tastes in comedy could not be more different (and that's ok!). I've yet to even chuckle at an episode of Undateable and I've watched 10 of them. Most of my time with the show is spent cringing or actively being offended by how bad it is. Among the worst comedies I've seen this year (I haven't seen them all though, so there might be worse stuff out there). The wife also hates it and doesn't buy the "cool" guy could ever get laid.

Again, I've seen enough of Cougar Town to feel as if I can judge it impartially. Christina Miller is a truly poor actress, Courtney Cox just doesn't give a shit, and the guys are feel as if they're phoning it in as well. Dan Byrd and Ian Gomez are fine.

And yes, I thought Selfie was irrelevant as well. It's just "pleasant" and mildly amusing. Cute isn't comedy, it's just cute. On the other hand, Undateable is punchy, it's got a strong POV, it's got a good cast, and it's a little crude. It's not perfect, but I certainly preferred it to Cougar Town, which is my least favorite work of Bill Lawrence's BY FAR.

At least Modern Family and The Goldbergs make me laugh. I just don't understand their brand of pleasant single cams that aren't comedies.

beat

To me, Cougar Town is (comedically) like Scrubs without the anchoring of the hospital to drive plots. So basically a hangout show with a sort of Scrubs' vibe, albeit a decade or so later in life.

Selfie, well, I feel that one was a incoherent mishmash of a bunch of things and with a couple of bad ideas about what's funny to boot.

beat

Just to continue with this, and because I think you (Ivy) said you liked A to Z -- I think that show would actually be much better if they aimed to be entertaining and hit a specific vibe (in their case, romantic)... kinda like what "Married" does for 40-something disappointment and ennui. A to Z is remarkably bad at being funny*, but if they actually went for "pleasant" instead of trainwreck-stupid comedy, I'd probably enjoy the show a lot more.

* it even messed up doing cold opens right in the most recent episode! Two scenes because the first scene of the cold open didn't have a button joke!

To me, Cougar Town is (comedically) like Scrubs without the anchoring of the hospital to drive plots. So basically a hangout show with a sort of Scrubs' vibe, albeit a decade or so later in life.

Selfie, well, I feel that one was a incoherent mishmash of a bunch of things and with a couple of bad ideas about what's funny to boot.

I think the issue with Cougar Town is that once they realized the original premise was awful they over-corrected and ended up going diving headlong into the silliness that the later seasons of Scrubs has but did so twice as quickly, so it became this sort of silly surreal thing with no anchor whatsoever. It didn't earn it's ability to extend itself the way shows like Friends and Seinfeld (both hangout comedies) earned some of their more outlandish gags. I'd say S2 and 3 of Cougar Town were solid but once it switched over to TBS it kind of went of the rails with the silliness.

SI interview with Chris Collier about AMC scheduling, specifically on The Walking Dead and the NFL. I thought this bit was interesting:
But Collier did reveal something interesting about going head to head against the NFL during an interview with Sports Illustrated last week. He said his network scheduled this year’s show with deference to the NFL’s late-season schedule and playoffs, which is why The Walking Dead ended its run on Nov. 30 and will pick up again on Feb. 8, a week after Super Bowl XLIX. Collier said network research showed that there was a lot of crossover between The Walking Dead fans and NFL fans, and out of respect for those fans, the AMC show will go on hiatus during the NFL’s most important time. It also gave AMC the opportunity to build up buzz against the NFL early in its season. If the NFL is vulnerable at all as a television play, it’s prior to Thanksgiving.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom