• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014-15 TV Cancellations: Under the Dome canned, what will CBS do with CG cows next?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Under The Dome was originally planned as a limited run series as well.

I also don't have faith in the people involved with Gracepoint to give me a proper ending.

Under the Dome was also supposed to be based off the book. And that never happened either.

Didnt the finale air last week? Ill watch it soon and let you know if it provides closure. Ive enjoyed the series so far, enough to jump into Broadchurch in the future (I believe someone recommended starting at episode 6 which is where the series diverge).

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Under The Dome was originally planned as a limited run series as well.

I also don't have faith in the people involved with Gracepoint to give me a proper ending.

Under the Dome was also supposed to be based off the book. And that never happened either.

Didnt the finale air last week? Ill watch it soon and let you know if it provides closure. Ive enjoyed the series so far, enough to jump into Broadchurch in the future (I believe someone recommended starting at episode 6 which is where the series diverge).

It does. I have no idea how Broadchurch went, but Gracepoint ended just fine. Not the most shocking of endings, but you find out what happened and they throw a couple twists in there.

styl3s

If it provides a real ending and closure i will happily give it a chance.

I can't stand watching something that gives no closure, as for Broadchurch, it's been sitting on my Netflix to watch list but between my blu-ray/amazon/netflix queue of Peaky Blinders S1/S2, Wentworth S1/S2, Orphan Black S1/S2, Americans Season 2 and Homeland Season 4 it might take awhile to get to them.

Although, given how disappointed i was with the first few episodes of this season of Homeland i might just drop the show. Hated last season :-/

And yes, I thought Selfie was irrelevant as well. It's just "pleasant" and mildly amusing. Cute isn't comedy, it's just cute. On the other hand, Undateable is punchy, it's got a strong POV, it's got a good cast, and it's a little crude. It's not perfect, but I certainly preferred it to Cougar Town, which is my least favorite work of Bill Lawrence's BY FAR.

You say that like it's a bad thing, but I'm actually OK with that. I don't necessarily want my comedies to fire joke after joke after joke. Especially if they never connect like on Undateable. Some comedies can pull it off really well, but I don't think there's anything wrong with a cute, amusing show that doesn't try to do serious drama, but at the same time doesn't try to have you on the floor laughing the whole time either. Maybe they shouldn't be called comedies? I'd be OK if they had a different name to differentiate themselves from true comedies.

I think the issue with Cougar Town is that once they realized the original premise was awful they over-corrected and ended up going diving headlong into the silliness that the later seasons of Scrubs has but did so twice as quickly, so it became this sort of silly surreal thing with no anchor whatsoever. It didn't earn it's ability to extend itself the way shows like Friends and Seinfeld (both hangout comedies) earned some of their more outlandish gags. I'd say S2 and 3 of Cougar Town were solid but once it switched over to TBS it kind of went of the rails with the silliness.

I can agree with this. Sometimes they go too far with the silliness and the later seasons are not as good as S2 or S3, but I still think they show is enjoyable for the most part.

Just to continue with this, and because I think you (Ivy) said you liked A to Z -- I think that show would actually be much better if they aimed to be entertaining and hit a specific vibe (in their case, romantic)... kinda like what "Married" does for 40-something disappointment and ennui. A to Z is remarkably bad at being funny*, but if they actually went for "pleasant" instead of trainwreck-stupid comedy, I'd probably enjoy the show a lot more.

* it even messed up doing cold opens right in the most recent episode! Two scenes because the first scene of the cold open didn't have a button joke!

I agree with this. A to Z is only tolerable when the leads are on screen on their own and those parts are usually not laugh out loud funny. As soon as you get any of the truly, truly awful side characters (maybe the worst in any sitcom ever) it all goes to shit pretty fast.

styl3s

Thats life bro.

Sometimes the girl of your dreams leaves you and you live the rest of your life wondering why
Except in the TV world i can choose what to watch and what to not watch.

I won't get burned again and it's why i am extremely picky at what i watch and it's why a lot of my shows in my backlog are going into season 3 and i still haven't seen season 1. Why would i waste my time watching something that gives no closure? I can spend that time reading or watching something else.

beat

I agree with this. A to Z is only tolerable when the leads are on screen on their own and those parts are usually not laugh out loud funny. As soon as you get any of the truly, truly awful side characters (maybe the worst in any sitcom ever) it all goes to shit pretty fast.

Mixology.

Maybe also Dads, but I never watched that.

I haven't had the "pleasure", I find it hard to believe, but I'll trust you.

There was nothing wrong with Mixology. A few people here watched the trailer and decided they hated it. Also, someone wrote an article about how its sexist and promotes rape (as the plot of the story involved people at a bar looking to get laid) so the show became the worst thing ever.

Patryn

There was nothing wrong with Mixology. A few people here watched the trailer and decided they hated it. Also, someone wrote an article about how its sexist and promotes rape (as the plot of the story involved people at a bar looking to get laid) so the show became the worst thing ever.

I watched a couple episodes out of inertia, and I can say there was something wrong with it: It wasn't funny.

beat

I watched four episodes and it was really quite terrible.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man

I watched the whole show. It was dumb and crass, most of the humour was driven by American Pie sort of gags, which mostly comes off as piggish, and there's no real narrative stuff that compensates for that or suggests the authors see any problem with it. I also don't think the pathos mixed well with the humour. Characters were thinly drawn. And I also don't see anything wrong with saying "Wow this is a dumb premise for a show", as critics did. *shrugs*

I watched a couple episodes out of inertia, and I can say there was something wrong with it: It wasn't funny.

I dont think a sitcom has to be funny to be good. Like suburgatory.

I watched the whole show. It was dumb and crass, most of the humour was driven by American Pie sort of gags, which mostly comes off as piggish, and there's no real narrative stuff that compensates for that or suggests the authors see any problem with it. I also don't think the pathos mixed well with the humour. Characters were thinly drawn. And I also don't see anything wrong with saying "Wow this is a dumb premise for a show", as critics did. *shrugs*

I agree with this assessment.

But the point still stands that claims of "worst sitcom ever" are vastly overstated. Many critics made it seem like it was the reincarnation of the nazi sitcom.

I wouldnt go out and recommend the show to anyone, but it was at least 10 or 12 episodes of tolerable material. Thats something I wasnt able to say of this years crop of (now cancelled) shows.

beat

I wouldnt go out and recommend the show to anyone, but it was at least 10 or 12 episodes of tolerable material. Thats something I wasnt able to say of this years crop of (now cancelled) shows.
It's been a great calendar year for sitcoms, almost entirely on cable. Most of the new fall network sitcoms have been bad.

But Mixology was bad for its crop of network sitcoms too, and I actively disliked it for as long as I could bear to watch it. Also, in this context I wasn't bringing it up as a terrible show -- although I do think it was terrible -- but specifically that its side characters were really awful, because they were.

ivysaur12

Banned
Execution aside, a woman in her 40s trying to reenter the dating world is a far more interesting premise than people in their 40s drinking wine and thinking that's silly. Especially if show about dating is a little darker and examines why it's tough to be a woman in her 40s, even in 2009. You're the Worst is younger and gender neutral in its POV, but that tone and setting would work very well for the initial concept of Cougar Town. Instead we got a show that I find tailored to watching while folding laundry :-/

(Also, beat, I soured on A to Z after it never lived up to its premise so you can stop holding that over my head :p)

Tamanon

Banned
Gracepoint was billed as a limited series, complete with closure. But the concept of it meant it could easily have spun off another season or two, just with a different case.

beat

Execution aside, a woman in her 40s trying to reenter the dating world is a far more interesting premise than people in their 40s drinking wine and thinking that's silly. [...]

(Also, beat, I soured on A to Z after it never lived up to its premise so you can stop holding that over my head :p)

Noted. =)

More generally, though, I think a sitcom's worth is far more in the execution than the premise. The premise gets a show picked up*, and it might even be the reason people try it out, but I think it's almost never why people keep coming back. And Cougar Town's execution - of a very low-stakes situation - is pretty solid.

* Which is literally how Cougar Town happened. But high concept sitcoms are often a devil's bargain IMO.

Happy Endings and Bitch in #23 are still the best comedies that died prematurely.

I can agree with this. However what I think really worked against the Bitch in Apt #23 was airing the episodes out of order. It was a really stupid decision by the network, since there was a continuity there that got totally screwed around.

Watched the finale of Gracepoint.

The important stuff gets wrapped up. Ie, the premise of the show is who killed Danny. That question does get answered.

Other things are left open that COULD be milked into another season, so if you dont like ANY loose ends and cliffhangers you wont like the finale. But its not major enough to cry about not getting any more.

Overall, Id give the show a B+. would recommend.

(have not seen Broadchurch for comparison).

So Broadchurch was excellent and I'm excited about a second season.

Gracepoint seemed like a pointless remake from the get go. It has barely even been a year since the original aired.

So Broadchurch was excellent and I'm excited about a second season.

Gracepoint seemed like a pointless remake from the get go. It has barely even been a year since the original aired.

Only reason I watched Gracepoint was because until just now, Broadchurch was not available in the US

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
is the kevin bacon show still a thing? I dont see ANYONE talking about it, ever

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
The Following? It's a January show, coming back next month.

oh its not a fall show? my bad

funny note, The Following is the only show ive EVER started and stopped midway through the first season, I always follow through even if I hate the shows...

...but I couldnt with The Following :(

Rekwest

The Following is the only show ive EVER started and stopped midway through the first season, I always follow through even if I hate the shows...

I fucking hate that they do the monologue and the previously on.

Stupid lowest common denominator

On principle I'm not opposed to previously on segments since I watch so many shows at the same time. And I think they should be a requirement after a long break.

However that's not an excuse to make them boring. I think Supernatural does this best. Cool music while the relevant scenes play out. It can be a bit spoilery sometimes though, like when they show specific stuff from many seasons ago, you know what the episode is gonna be about right away. But still, mostly pretty well done.

oh its not a fall show? my bad

funny note, The Following is the only show ive EVER started and stopped midway through the first season, I always follow through even if I hate the shows...

The Following is the only show ive EVER started and stopped midway through the first season, I always follow through even if I hate the shows...

Déjà vu.

I managed to finish season 1. Tried the first episode of season 2 and just couldn't do it anymore. I think the pilot showed promise, but then it all went to hell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom