• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014-15 TV Cancellations: Under the Dome canned, what will CBS do with CG cows next?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doesn't that have more to do with the CW not exactly being a ratings magnet and the comic book shows attracting a new audience to the channel? Also, Disney has the Netflix shows coming so that's probably going to be the focus with live action for the most part.

to reiterate my earlier point what i'm saying is from my perspective marvels TV shows are not doing as good as DC comics TV shows on the CW.

TheOddOne

- Variety: FX and FXX Rev Up New Comedies to Build Distinct Brands
That tone dovetails neatly with a successful off-net run for “The Simpsons,” and helps clarify FXX as a home for youthful, off-kilter programming — the median age of “Sunny’s” audience is 28 — which also factored into the decision to relocate the second season of promising hipster-com “You’re the Worst” to FXX later this year.

Landgraf says even if the modestly performing “Worst” takes a ratings hit with the move (FXX is in 77 million homes versus FX’s 90 million, and often has a less desirable location on channel lineups), he’s prepared to stick with it for the long haul provided it demonstrates solid creative growth.
“(FX drama) ‘The Americans’ didn’t grow from season one to season two — the audience actually fell off a little bit — but man did it grow creatively. That’s what cemented its status and pickup for season three,” Landgraf notes of his overall philosophy. He points out that it took four seasons for “Sunny” to emerge as a true breakout success.

He’s willing to be similarly patient while FXX establishes its identity.
Come summer, FX will add Denis Leary’s “Sex&Drugs&Rock&Roll” which brings the star of “Rescue Me” back to the net, this time in a half-hour format. Then there’s the Louis CK-produced Zach Galifianakis topliner “Baskets” — which Landgraf describes as “City Lights” meets “Napoleon Dynamite.” It won’t be ready until 2016 because of Galifianakis’ film schedule but Landgraf calls the mix of physical comedy, silent movie humor and cinematic style “like nothing I’ve ever seen before.”

Wiktor

ABC needs to cancel agent carter and either re-tool agents of shield or cancel it also. the CW is on cloud 9 with their comic book shows and ABC is barely making it.

I think Agents of Shield poisoned the well when it comes to Marvel on TV. Agent Carter should have dedbuted far far stronger. Hopefully Daredevil will fix this brand problem.

It's a good thing The Taste probably cost next to nothing to produce seeing as ABC is giving it two hours with a sub 1.0 in 18-49 for both of those hours.

Good to see Brooklyn renewed.

Also good to see Landgraf talk about sticking with YTW for the long haul, one of my favorite freshman comedies last year (in a year filled with a bunch of fantastic new comedy).

kulapik

Wait, Secrets and Lies & American Crime are anthologies? I mean, American Crime I could see it, but Secrets and Lies? Isn't that a remake of an australian show?

Also, seemingly RBS is officially cancelled.

mreddie

Fox renewed Brooklyn, Empire, Gotham

headphones.gif

Not shocked FOX renewed Empire, the fact it rose in ratings it's second episode is insane. Looks like they're bouncing back after the Utopia bomba.

TripOpt55

Happy about Brooklyn (which I love) and Gotham (which has grown into something pretty good). Also good to hear there might be some creative tweaking for Sleepy Hollow. Season 2 has been a bore.

MONDAY'S ON FOX

8pm Prison Break
Jack Bauer breaks out of a Russian prison with the help of the War At Home guy who was in the fourth season of PB

9pm 24
Chloe and Sarah infiltrate Russia to try and break out Jack before a terrorist attack hits Istanbul

May event is a four hour crossover

Joni

MONDAY'S ON FOX

8pm Prison Break
Jack Bauer breaks out of a Russian prison with the help of the War At Home guy who was in the fourth season of PB

9pm 24
Chloe and Sarah infiltrate Russia to try and break out Jack before a terrorist attack hits Istanbul

May event is a four hour crossover

10 PM: The X Files
Kate and Dana try to investigate the terrorist's supernatural plans while using ghosts to help Jack.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus

I'll believe it when I see it Landgraf!

Then there’s the Louis CK-produced Zach Galifianakis topliner “Baskets” — which Landgraf describes as “City Lights” meets “Napoleon Dynamite.” It won’t be ready until 2016 because of Galifianakis’ film schedule but Landgraf calls the mix of physical comedy, silent movie humor and cinematic style “like nothing I’ve ever seen before.”

Holy shit? What? Wow. I need to see this.

TheOddOne

Shyamalan compares "Wayward Pines" to "True Detective" in terms of a stellar cast. Everyone grew protective of their characters. "Sometimes it's about asking the question, too -- would that make sense for that character?" says Dillon. "I'm drawn to the creative potential that television has, you have the ability to tell a story over a long period of time. Character development is story. Television is all about character, and that was interesting, because most of my career life has been three-act structure movies. In television, there really is no ending, there really is no beginning, it's all the middle part. There's a lot of potential."
supernatural-awkward.jpg

ivysaur12

Banned
My guess is that New Girl and Mindy weren't renewed because there's more involved with a show going into its fourth year and later than going into the second or third, where you can just call and say "we're picking up the option for another season, it'll be on deadline in 5 minutes byeeeeee". Now, low-rated shows can have their licensing fees discussed (see: Last Man Standing between season 1 and 2), but if a show is doing fine and nothing needs to be renegotiated, it's easier.

They will be renewed, just not yet. And Sleepy Hollow will, just not yet, but for different reasons.

Tokubetsu

Glad Sleepy is getting retooled, it needs it. This whole second season has been a wash. Too much garbage Ichabod x Katrina drama and then they basically cut the balls off their imposing villain (horseman) by trying to make him human/sympathetic. Not to mention the introducing the most boring vanilla white bread Indiana Jones knock off I've seen for a love interest on a tv show in a long time.

Adalian said:
Scripted prime/late-night cable series in:

1999: 26
2004: 45
2009: 87
2014: 199

Increase '99 vs.'14: +665%
#TCA15
SOURCE: FX RESEARCH
Counting broadcast, cable and streaming services, there were 352 scripted series aired in 2014, per FX Research. #HugACritic #TCA2015

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
352 scripted seems excessive; are the researchers certain they're not including scripted unscripted content? I could easily see 352 counting Property Brothers: A Ghost Hunting Pawn Shop Trivia Show: International: Featuring the Kids of the Drummer from Def Leppard: Extreme

For example, IMDB has 181 shows airing Fall 2014 including unscripted, childrens', and daytime (quick scan suggests 135-ish scripted, being charitable and including Sesame Street and the Amazon kids shows). The Nielsen end-of-year network ratings lists is about 150-170 primetime shows including sports and unscripted.

The 350+ number has been thrown around for a while now, but I'm not sure if those are all coming from the same source. For example:
According to Variety research, broadcast and cable networks this year have aired 145 scripted original primetime series and miniseries, a 14% increase over the same frame in 2013. At least 350 new and returning scripted series have been ordered for the 2014-15 television cycle (including summer 2015), and that’s not including digital outlets.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
The 350+ number has been thrown around for a while now, but I'm not sure if those are all coming from the same source. For example:

I remain dubious

According to Variety research, broadcast and cable networks this year have aired 145 scripted original primetime series and miniseries, a 14% increase over the same frame in 2013. At least 350 new and returning scripted series have been ordered for the 2014-15 television cycle (including summer 2015), and that’s not including digital outlets

It seems bizarre that as of September 14th, 145 original shows had aired, but the next year they expected 350 shows to air? A 141% increase in number of shows? If one counted unscripted and one didn't then I'd believe it, but something like a 10-20% growth year over year seems about as fast as growth could possibly occur.

(To be clear, I'm not dismissing the overall point about a glut of television. I made a GAF thread on the subject a while ago that got like 30 replies, most telling me "lol first world problems #idiot #tvsucks #exceptforarrow #whyaren'ttheremorecomicbookshows"--or at least that's how I choose to remember it)

Edit: See my next post. They're right and possibly even conservative.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I'm seeing 112 scripted shows for Fall 2014-Summer 2015 (not counting stuff that's already been pre-cancelled, but counting stuff that hasn't yet aired) on Networks. Going to try to calculate cable and streaming now.

Netflix: 29 including TBA 2015 stuff, some of which will slip--also including young childrens programming which would not air in primetime if it wasn't streaming. Amazon: 13 including TBA 2015 and childrens programming which would not air in primetime (I excluded the Woody Allen show because I assume it won't make it, and The Cosmopolitans even though it's "still in contention"). HBO: 21 including TBA stuff that won't make it, Hello Ladies (which didn't air as a show during the 2014-2015 season). Showtime: 13 including Halo, which won't make it in season. TNT: 13. TBS: 7 including Your Family or Mine which isn't slated to premiere in-season. USA: 10. A&E: 2. SyFy: 13 including stuff that's TBA undated and might not make it. Sundance: 6. AMC: 8 including TWD spinoff which won't make it. FX/FXX: 24-ish. BBC America: 10-ish -- this number is very uncertain because their website is unclear and I don't have the time to try to confirm all the dates properly. IFC: 6-ish. Comedy Central: 13

WeTV, Bravo, Audience Network, BET, Centric, TV Land, El Rey, Lifetime, Logo, MTV, Reelz, Spike, TruTV, Pop, TV One, VH1, Hallmark Channel: 38-ish

That got me to 338. So I guess they're right. Can't find the last 14, but that's pretty close. I guess Crackle (6-ish) and Hulu (4+) count too. Yahoo has Burning Love and Community... Jesus. I didn't include Cartoon Network, Nick, or Disney Channel yet... or Starz.

VanWinkle

I have to say, I really like Agent Carter. Is it going to be safe, guys? I worry, as shows I really like usually end up having pretty bad viewer ratings.

Also really happy to hear that Brooklyn 9-9 got renewed. I honestly think season one was a decent bit stronger than season two, but it's still a really good show.

I have to say, I really like Agent Carter. Is it going to be safe, guys? I worry, as shows I really like usually end up having pretty bad viewer ratings.
Yes, it's fine. The ratings aren't stellar, but they're still on par with SHIELD. And it's expected to pull some very good Live+3/7 numbers, something ABC has started to tout for it's Marvel shows. And just the fact that it is a Marvel show and also draws in more male viewers to the channel also work in its favor.

It'll definitely finish it's limited run no problem. Whether or not they'll want to continue it afterward remains to be seen, but I don't think it's unfathomable by any stretch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom