• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014-15 TV Cancellations: Under the Dome canned, what will CBS do with CG cows next?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheOddOne

See everyone, it is like True Detective.
0016Rds.jpg

Penguin

I have to say, I really like Agent Carter. Is it going to be safe, guys? I worry, as shows I really like usually end up having pretty bad viewer ratings.

Also really happy to hear that Brooklyn 9-9 got renewed. I honestly think season one was a decent bit stronger than season two, but it's still a really good show.

I'm beginning to think that SHIELD will be renewed, but not Carter.. or they'll move it to a summer show

Grizzo

So it's been an awful Fall season for NBC, right? With even The Mysteries Of Laura, what are they even gonna renew from their slew of new shows? More importantly, once Parks & Rec is gone they won't have any comedies, be it old or new (except Undateable I guess).

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
So it's been an awful Fall season for NBC, right? With even The Mysteries Of Laura, what are they even gonna renew from their slew of new shows? More importantly, once Parks & Rec is gone they won't have any comedies, be it old or new (except Undateable I guess).

Deserved punishment for cancelling "Go On."

ivysaur12

Banned
I'm seeing 112 scripted shows for Fall 2014-Summer 2015 (not counting stuff that's already been pre-cancelled, but counting stuff that hasn't yet aired) on Networks. Going to try to calculate cable and streaming now.

Netflix: 29 including TBA 2015 stuff, some of which will slip--also including young childrens programming which would not air in primetime if it wasn't streaming. Amazon: 13 including TBA 2015 and childrens programming which would not air in primetime (I excluded the Woody Allen show because I assume it won't make it, and The Cosmopolitans even though it's "still in contention"). HBO: 21 including TBA stuff that won't make it, Hello Ladies (which didn't air as a show during the 2014-2015 season). Showtime: 13 including Halo, which won't make it in season. TNT: 13. TBS: 7 including Your Family or Mine which isn't slated to premiere in-season. USA: 10. A&E: 2. SyFy: 13 including stuff that's TBA undated and might not make it. Sundance: 6. AMC: 8 including TWD spinoff which won't make it. FX/FXX: 24-ish. BBC America: 10-ish -- this number is very uncertain because their website is unclear and I don't have the time to try to confirm all the dates properly. IFC: 6-ish. Comedy Central: 13

WeTV, Bravo, Audience Network, BET, Centric, TV Land, El Rey, Lifetime, Logo, MTV, Reelz, Spike, TruTV, Pop, TV One, VH1, Hallmark Channel: 38-ish

That got me to 338. So I guess they're right. Can't find the last 14, but that's pretty close. I guess Crackle (6-ish) and Hulu (4+) count too. Yahoo has Burning Love and Community... Jesus. I didn't include Cartoon Network, Nick, or Disney Channel yet... or Starz.

Thank you for capitalizing WHEN CALLS THE HEART like a true Patriot.

Also, I think the number includes late night.

TheOddOne

I rather not think about the amount of stuff I'm going to watch. Just let it pass like its nothin', maybe the brain won't freak out.

G0523

NBC still has Undateable, yes. They still also have About a Boy and Marry Me (but I'm not sure how much longer those two shows are going to last). Plus, Elisha Cuthbert is starring in a new NBC comedy called One Big Happy with Ellen Degeneres attached as a producer. Does anyone know though, is One Big Happy a single-cam or a multi-cam sitcom? So, yeah, while NBC does not have as many comedies as they used to, they still have a few left hanging in there.

This is quite possibly one of the worst posts I've ever seen on gaf.

I've tried both DC shows on CW. Sure enough, they feel like CW shows. They weren't bad, but I have to add a CW qualifier to that. I'm the right demographic for hero shows, but the wrong demo for that network. I want strong production values and not dudes flipping incessantly over parked vehicles. Attractive cast, at least.

In Netflix (and Daredevil) I trust. He's my favorite superhero, and I'm hyped beyond belief.

I'm almost as hyped for Iron Fist, but that's way off. If they announced a Punisher series, I'd be in television heaven, but that has zero chance of happening.

Yes, it's fine. The ratings aren't stellar, but they're still on par with SHIELD. And it's expected to pull some very good Live+3/7 numbers, something ABC has started to tout for it's Marvel shows. And just the fact that it is a Marvel show and also draws in more male viewers to the channel also work in its favor.

It'll definitely finish it's limited run no problem. Whether or not they'll want to continue it afterward remains to be seen, but I don't think it's unfathomable by any stretch.

As a limited-run "event" series, it would have to be doing a lot worse than it is to be in danger of cancellation (see: Killer Women), but its L+SD ratings are really not good.

I still think SHIELD is more likely than not to get a third season, but I'd be surprised if Agent Carter gets a second, or if ABC picks up another Marvel series again anytime soon (we can already say they won't next season, as it'd have been reported to be in development by now).

EDIT: also, FWIW, 1.5 L+SD for the second episode is not really "on par with SHIELD" - that's SHIELD's all-time low, and it didn't hit that number until the seventh episode this season.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I rather not think about the amount of stuff I'm going to watch. Just let it pass like its nothin', maybe the brain won't freak out.

Same. Out of the 352 scripted series on TV, I probably watch close to 1/3 of them. Holy shit.

what the fuck am i doing with my life

Looks like Helix got about a .5 and finding out this number was particularly amusing.

how did you find out?

As a limited-run "event" series, it would have to be doing a lot worse than it is to be in danger of cancellation (see: Killer Women), but its L+SD ratings are really not good.

I still think SHIELD is more likely than not to get a third season, but I'd be surprised if Agent Carter gets a second, or if ABC picks up another Marvel series again anytime soon (we can already say they won't next season, as it'd have been reported to be in development by now).

EDIT: also, FWIW, 1.5 L+SD for the second episode is not really "on par with SHIELD" - that's SHIELD's all-time low, and it didn't hit that number until the seventh episode this season.
The "on par" thing was from Paul Lee directly.

Edit: Correction, this is what he said...

And to have Agent Carter in the [SHIELD hiatus] gap doing sort of double what we were doing there last year is great for us.”

So more in relation to what was there during the last hiatus. Still a positive comment though.

Looks like Helix got about a .5 and finding out this number was particularly amusing.
Is this good for you guys? I'm hoping for the best for y'all.

The "on par" thing was from Paul Lee directly.

Edit: Correction, this is what he said...

So more in relation to what was there during the last hiatus. Still a positive comment though.

Yeah, I know what he said. But given that SHIELD has dropped from S1 despite being far better creatively, and given that Agent Carter will likely drop below 1.5 in the weeks ahead, I'm not quite ready to conclude that that's more than just talk.

Same. Out of the 352 scripted series on TV, I probably watch close to 1/3 of them. Holy shit.

what the fuck am i doing with my life

Dude. Duuude. Do you want us to stage an intervention?

I suppose if you're doing okay health wise and are happy, more power to you. But there's nowhere near a hundred good shows on TV.

Sandfox

I kinda doubt they would decline assuming the premise isn't trash.

What makes you so sure? :p

I looked at your list, haha.

It's mind boggling, but like I've said earlier in this thread, I'm glad you watch all those shows. It gives a lot of weight to your opinion on which shows are good.

Be honest, how many hours a day of TV does all that equate to. You're among friends, no judgment.

I kinda doubt they would decline assuming the premise isn't trash.

Disney wants Marvel on the network, plain and simple.

Yeah, I know what he said. But given that SHIELD has dropped from S1 despite being far better creatively, and given that Agent Carter will likely drop below 1.5 in the weeks ahead, I'm not quite ready to conclude that that's more than just talk.
I guess we'll see, but I think ABC is gonna leverage their Marvel stuff in any way they can.

Wiktor

Disney wants Marvel on the network, plain and simple.
I think this will keep AoS safe. It's a nice constant advertisement for universe.
Agent Carter though is propably done. Or more likely they will try to label it as one and done limited series that ran it's course. It's definitely a lot more expensive to make than AoS and it does't tie as much to current MCU.

ABC folk talk about recorded viewings, but from what I've heard advertisers pay penny for those (7+ that is, they pay decently for 3+). It would be cool if Netflix woul pick up Carter, but they're so densely filled with marvel shows that it's not an option.

Maybe if Carter gets canceled they wil try again with different time periods? It would be fun to see a series one-off mini series, each with differnent cast (altough some characters would reappar) and plotine

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I looked at your list, haha.

It's mind boggling, but like I've said earlier in this thread, I'm glad you watch all those shows. It gives a lot of weight to your opinion on which shows are good.

Be honest, how many hours a day of TV does all that equate to. You're among friends, no judgment.

XS

at least something good has come of it then!

im too scared to calculate it

ivysaur12

Banned
‏@BastardMachine
There are 352 SCRIPTED series on prime and late night TV. 199 on cable, 129 on broadcast, 24 are OTT (Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu).

What do we think the 24th is?

Netflix:

House of Cards
Hemlock Grove
Orange is the New Black
BoJack Horseman
MarcoPolo
Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt
Bloodlines
Daredevil
Grace & Frankie
Wet Hot American Summer
F is for Family
Sense8
Narcos
Longmire

Amazon:

Alpha House
Transparent
Mozart in the Jungle
Bosch
Hand of God
Red Oaks

Hulu:

The Awesomes
Deadbeat
11/22/63

Yahoo! Screen:

Community

Speaking of terrible ideas, MTV ran 12 hours of their programming in black and white.

AV Club said:
More than half a century ago, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. had a dream that one day, black and white would join together in harmony to create a world where one would be judged not by their color, but by the content of their character. Today that dream has been realized, as MTV devotes 12 hours to “color-blind” programming, in which little black and white pixels join together for a marathon airing of Catfish. Let freedom ring over a nation in which all men are at last truly equal, because they all lie about themselves on Facebook.

As the MTV schedule for today reveals, that expression of true color bravery will take place while watching episodes of the talking-head series Girl Code, in which female comics irreverently discuss “the wonders and woes of womanhood;” Catfish, in which people meet the shut-ins who have been pretending to be attractive, in order to lure them into online relationships; and an edited for television version of Scary Movie 3. Presumably, the bored, indiscriminate teens who would turn in to watch these things—only to find their picture drained of color—will simply assume their TV is broken, giving them ample down time to talk about what races they don’t like and why.

http://www.avclub.com/article/mtv-realizes-martin-luther-kings-dream-black-and-w-214053

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
What do we think the 24th is?
Wouldn't they include Netflix's UK imports, too? You could add Peaky Blinders, Happy Valley, etc. And then all of their kids shows, although I suppose the FX researchers might justify considering them outside "primetime".

benjipwns

Banned
Just found out about Covert Affairs. While the last season was pretty good, I'm going to pretend season four was the true finale. Winding the whole season down into a short confrontation in a random back alley in China was pretty great. I also liked the whole season opening in media res before flashing back.

Season five kinda went wild with the plots and characters and locations but it sucks there were all the hanging threads at the end of the season. Wouldn't want a short sixth season if it was going to be as garbage and horribly paced as White Collar's. Maybe they could do one movie that's like three or five years down the line.

I'm sure that'll be out right after they finish off the Deadwood movies.

ivysaur12

Banned
Wouldn't they include Netflix's UK imports, too? You could add Peaky Blinders, Happy Valley, etc. And then all of their kids shows, although I suppose the FX researchers might justify considering them outside "primetime".

But then it's more than 24. And I don't think they would, just original series. Netflix has a few announced for 2016 with AKA Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, Iron Fist, Flaked, Chelsea Handler's late night show, and Love, but also… that would take the total well above 24.

EDIT: OH! Difficult People on Hulu. That's the 24th.

Vert boil

Season two premiere of 19-2 last night. They did a great job recreating that episode. Everything after the long shot that was on youtube was just as powerful as the original bit I watched. *tears*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom