• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014-15 TV Cancellations: Under the Dome canned, what will CBS do with CG cows next?

Status
Not open for further replies.

berzeli

Banned
Uh, so Backstrom is airing soon. Is anyone doing an OT or is there that little interest for it? (to be very clear, I'm not volunteering). I'm kind of interested in it, if only to see how badly they butcher the source material.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Uh, so Backstrom is airing soon. Is anyone doing an OT or is there that little interest for it? (to be very clear, I'm not volunteering). I'm kind of interested in it, if only to see how badly they butcher the source material.

The advertising campaign of "Dwight as Dr. House but he's a detective not a doctor" is laughably horrendous.

I've got a season pass set for Backstrom, but I can't imagine it will last long enough or be popular enough to warrant an OP.

Hell, there's almost no Bones chatter on GAF and that has aired 200 episodes (and I've watched 'em all).

Not just the ratings, the quality of the show is way down, as well. It's too bad since S1 was a lot of fun.

Exactly. The wife and I fell in love with season one. It was damn entertaining, and you had no idea what would happen from one episode to the next. We've both jumped ship this season, never to return.

Walmart jumping into the fray could be my big break. Then I could do my Fifty Shades of Grey meets Atlas Shrugged pitch. It uses BDSM and sexual fantasies as an allegory for economic and political ideology!

TheOddOne

I've got a season pass set for Backstrom, but I can't imagine it will last long enough or be popular enough to warrant an OP.

Hell, there's almost no Bones chatter on GAF and that has aired 200 episodes (and I've watched 'em all).
I'm looking forward to it. Reviews have been terrible so far, though.

beat

There's just so much #content

Can't wait for our LinkedIn originals and TargetStudios.

On the one hand, this gives more opportunity for actors, writers, directors, crew, etc. On the other hand, it also gives more opportunity for execs, say like deposed network presidents or something.

TheOddOne

ALSO, with the final numbers, both 12 Monkeys and Helix did pretty poorly:

12 Monkeys: 1.35 mil, .43
Helix: 1.03 mil, .30

OH WELL.
when-youre-making-fun-of-someone-behind-their-back-and-they-turn-around.gif

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Both version too, in french (third and last season) and in english (second season).
Oh weird, I assumed the French version was done because they took it off Radio Canada's website.

I'm a little disappointed that the English version of the school shooting episode was exactly the same as the French version, for the most part.

Sober

Oh weird, I assumed the French version was done because they took it off Radio Canada's website.

I'm a little disappointed that the English version of the school shooting episode was exactly the same as the French version, for the most part.
It's the last thing they're adapting from the French-Canadian series according to the showrunner. So moving out of that episode and the events are supposed to be different and original from now on. There's a few details in that episode that are different from both versions, some are for later stuff down the line, some were added in because Radio Canada did not want that included for their version but the director wanted it.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It's the last thing they're adapting from the French-Canadian series according to the showrunner. So moving out of that episode and the events are supposed to be different and original from now on. There's a few details in that episode that are different from both versions, some are for later stuff down the line, some were added in because Radio Canada did not want that included for their version but the director wanted it.
That's fair, since I remember the ending of the French S2 and I was wondering if they'd actually do that again.

But I'm speaking specifically to the choreography of the shooting. It's the same building with nearly the exact same movement, so if you've already seen the French version, it's a bit disappointing. I know it probably would have been too much work for them to actually plan out a new scene, but I kind of wish they did.

(Although I'm sure the crossover between French and English viewers is fairly small)

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I really, really wish i could see that here in america.

How does this show survive with no dvds or blu-rays or digital version?
The French version used to be free on the Radio Canada website but they pulled all of them to sell them on iTunes.

The English version is now being streamed on something called "Crave", which I assume is a Canadian competitor to Netflix.

Sadly, if you are American, you have to find various means to watch it... :(

That's fair, since I remember the ending of the French S2 and I was wondering if they'd actually do that again.

But I'm speaking specifically to the choreography of the shooting. It's the same building with nearly the exact same movement, so if you've already seen the French version, it's a bit disappointing. I know it probably would have been too much work for them to actually plan out a new scene, but I kind of wish they did.

(Although I'm sure the crossover between French and English viewers is fairly small)
lol, we were there:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=108086169&postcount=6203

styl3s

The French version used to be free on the Radio Canada website but they pulled all of them to sell them on iTunes.

The English version is now being streamed on something called "Crave", which I assume is a Canadian competitor to Netflix.

Sadly, if you are American, you have to find various means to watch it... :(
Is it possible for americans to buy off canada itunes? I notice the new series (season 1 complete) and the first episode of season 2 are on it from a quick google search.

I noticed amazon.ca and futureshop etc. both sell the french version of the show but no remake on dvd/blu-ray anywhere which blows my mind. It's like Transporter all over again (luckily they brought it over)

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Is it possible for americans to buy off canada itunes? I notice the new series (season 1 complete) and the first episode of season 2 are on it from a quick google search.

I noticed amazon.ca and futureshop etc. both sell the french version of the show but no remake on dvd/blu-ray anywhere which blows my mind. It's like Transporter all over again (luckily they brought it over)
I think you need a Canadian credit card or a Canadian iTunes card if you want to go that route. If you do, pick Alberta as you will pay less tax.

Canadian TV seems to be tough in terms of disc releases sadly. No money in it, since it's hard enough to get people to watch in the first place.

Sober

Don't think I've seen a home release of the english version just yet (dvd/br), but given the state Canadian television is in I'm frankly not surprised. And it's broadcast on Bravo here, so it's kinda up in the air how they want to do it. Bravo in Canada is maybe like FX or AMC in that it's like a cable network but has commericals. I don't think 19-2 has any frontal nudity from what I could remember, but plenty of f-bombs.

edit: also I think the only source of the long tracking shot was posted on GAF a while back but the actual source was removed and I could never find a substitute. Hopefully the English version gets more love.

Sober

So, a little birdy has the English version of the long take on one of them websites:
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2f6jgz_19-2-shootout-from-season-2-episode-1_tv

If you can still access the French version somehow, it's interesting to do a direct comparison between the two shots.

(I can edit out this link if it's not cool).
I was at an early showing of the English version, a few changes are like JR showing up in the long take (to carry out the girl and see but not shoot at the shooter), the last victim at the end of the episode I believe wasn't in the French version either (because let's be honest that was pretty intense). I'm sure there's a few more minor changes I can't remember.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I was at an early showing of the English version, a few changes are like JR showing up in the long take (to carry out the girl and see but not shoot at the shooter), the last victim at the end of the episode I believe wasn't in the French version either (because let's be honest that was pretty intense). I'm sure there's a few more minor changes I can't remember.
Oh yeah, there are other changes in the scene after the long take as well.

Might be time for one of you to make a thread for 19-2...
I would, but the problem is that it'd be a pretty dead thread since it's limited to Canadians and those with "sources" to watch Canadian TV.

But if you are a fan of Southland, you really should be watching this show.

Kevin

ALSO, with the final numbers, both 12 Monkeys and Helix did pretty poorly:

12 Monkeys: 1.35 mil, .43
Helix: 1.03 mil, .30

OH WELL.

You mean the power of GAF didn't push this show into SUPER OMFG AMAZE SAUCE ratings?

Jokes aside, that sucks. I haven't had the chance to check out the Helix premiere yet (been working) but looking forward to seeing it. Heard the premiere was pretty solid. Hopefully the ratings will go up or at the very least not continue to drop. Hard to say with SyFy shows.

Helix has it's problems but showed some potential. I hope it finds it's potential and that it's enough to potentially stabilized the ratings. Best wishes to you and the rest of the team on that front.

Patryn

Nono, Rake was an asshole criminal defense lawyer, Backstrom is an asshole detective. Totally different.

So both are basically reskins of House, got it.

Rebuilding brand will take some time. Syfy has bad reputation and an adaptation of bizzare old movie isn't propably high on people's interest. Hopefully they stick with it for a while.

I remember when Sci-Fi was one of my favorite channels.

They really burned that whole thing down, didn't they?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom