• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014-15 TV Cancellations: Under the Dome canned, what will CBS do with CG cows next?

Status
Not open for further replies.
- Adalian: Why You Feel Like There’s Too Much TV to Watch, in One Graph

HM7E3Cw.png

beat

Haven't read through it yet, but this is typically an entertaining and informative article:

- THR: 23 Network Chiefs on Frustrating Trends, Coveted Reboots and the Series They Can't Miss
The industry's comedy problem could be solved by:

[Comedy Central's KENT] ALTERMAN I'm not sure whether to be alarmed to learn there's a "comedy problem" or insulted that cable isn't considered part of the industry.
Yeah, to be fair, CC has been killing it this past year.

The genre I'd like to tackle next is:

GREENBLATT Live comedy.
Oh god, Greenblatt might be the exec most likely to greenlight long-form improv to TV.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
the only executive complaining about piracy is incidentally the executive whose network has the least carriage and access of all those profiled. hmmm I wonder if piracy could be ameliorated by improving legal access to content

NEVINS The incessant search for pre-existing intellectual property. I like writers with an original, closely held idea.

which is why my network picked up a halo television series

TASSLER I still believe in vampires. If we could do Moonlight again, I'd do it.

wow, you hear that moonlight fans, you were right, keep yelling, they'll uncancel you yet

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Haven't read through it yet, but this is typically an entertaining and informative article:

- THR: 23 Network Chiefs on Frustrating Trends, Coveted Reboots and the Series They Can't Miss

The project I'd like to reboot is:

COLLIER Rubicon.

:O

The project I'd like to reboot is:

LOMBARDO I don't think it will ever happen, but Six Feet Under. I don't think people were done with the Fisher family. I wasn't.

*gag*

bro

six feet under ended in the best way possible. it ended at the exact right time. the ending was perfect. let it go

The genre I'd like to tackle next is:

LANDGRAF Smart, hard sci-fi.

*GAF collectively dies of the most intense nerdgasm the world has ever seen*

Wiktor

ALSO, with the final numbers, both 12 Monkeys and Helix did pretty poorly:

12 Monkeys: 1.35 mil, .43
Helix: 1.03 mil, .30

OH WELL.
I think they're happy with 12 monkey at least.

12 Monkeys - Delivers Highest L+3 Lift Ever for a Syfy Series Premiere
Syfy’s critically acclaimed 12 Monkeys shattered channel records for a series premiere, soaring 85 percent among Adults 18-49, the highest lift ever based on L+3 data.

12 Monkeys delivered 1.0 million Adults 18-49, 1.1 million Adults 25-54 (+73 percent) and 2.3 million total viewers (+73 percent) from its Live+SD deliveries on Friday, January 16.
12 Monkeys also scored the highest Men 18-34 delivery for a Syfy series premiere since Helix in January 2014.

From what I undertand advertisers still pay very well for L+3, it's only +7 where they start to get cheap

Im still pissed the last 2 or 3 episodes of Undercovers never aired or were put online

Fuck you NBC
I think it was only 2 episodes, but I remember that I saw them with a translated version in French on TV.

Try to search in French or another language with subtitles if you want to see them.

Wiktor

Aren't TV ratings declining? Why are there more shows then? Or are "ratings" just moving to internet viewing and home video?

Even if they are declining there's more and more opportunities to make money on those shows. The international deals became more profitable and the rise of streaming gives shows long legs.

Joni

Aren't TV ratings declining? Why are there more shows then? Or are "ratings" just moving to internet viewing and home video?

There are new revenue streams and delayed viewing, but even more easily: look at that chart. If 100 million people watched TV 15 years ago and 150 million do now, average ratings would still be declining just due to the higher number of shows.

rakhir

Backstrom is SOOO BAAD
OMG

Pretty girl aside, i hated everyone, the main character especially. His shtick got tired the second time it was used. His gruff voice.... aaaaa

I feel bad. MTV has struggled to launch Eye Candy.....

If I had read this a month ago I would have had no confidence MTV could run a decent show, but I just finished watching Awkward and it was surprisingly good. I went in with no expectations, but all in all I found it pretty enjoyable.

This means now I'm willing to sample other MTV shows to see if they can replicate the magic.

If I had read this a month ago I would have had no confidence MTV could run a decent show, but I just finished watching Awkward and it was surprisingly good. I went in with no expectations, but all in all I found it pretty enjoyable.

This means now I'm willing to sample other MTV shows to see if they can replicate the magic.
Watch Faking It.

Yes. Faking It is absolutely incredible. The way it deals with modern social and gender issues while maintaining thoughtfulness and humor, is to be admired. Gay or straight, you will fall in love with these characters.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
If it was such a sure thing, why did we go like half a decade with no black shows?

Because nobody wrote any. It always boggled my mind. The market is there. Tyler Perry movies were gangbusters. Nobody put the effort into writing a good show.

As for Backstrom:

Backstrom delivered 8 million viewers and a 2.0 rating among adults 18-49. Nowadays, broadcasters are relieved by any ratings with a least a “2” in front of it, so this one squeaks over the bar by that measure. Backstrom also out-performed the premiere of Fox’s last “brilliant professional who’s not a nice person” Thursday drama—last year’s short-lived Rake—by 18 percent.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
He's basically saying that like Konami talking about GuitarFreaks should have been Guitar Hero. Rubicon was the formula that could have been Homeland or even just a much more watched show in today's political climate, but it arrived too early. :(

Still, interesting article.

I totally get that.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
He's joking. He made interviews before where he expressed regret how SyFy went away from genre shows, while everybody else jumped into that category and achieve success there.

OH. Ok, if that's sarcasm it makes sense then. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom