• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014-15 TV Cancellations: Under the Dome canned, what will CBS do with CG cows next?

Status
Not open for further replies.
According to Hulu, the pilot was 47, with episodes 2 and 3 being 44 minutes.

Considering 44 minutes used to be the standard, I would say that limited commercial interruption is a lie.

Fringe was 50 minutes when it was limited commercial interruption, if Im remembering right.

kulapik

According to Hulu, the pilot was 47, with episodes 2 and 3 being 44 minutes.

Considering 44 minutes used to be the standard, I would say that limited commercial interruption is a lie.

Fringe was 50 minutes when it was limited commercial interruption, if Im remembering right.

less commercial blocks, but with more ads on each one.

G0523

I really, truly think ABC is out of ideas.

#StopPaulLee2015

We should've stopped Paul Lee in 2013 when he kept on moving Happy Endings around the schedule to the point where the ratings got so bad that USA didn't want it and then cancelled it. AND that there's still no proper DVD release of season 3! *shakes fist*

He's basically saying that like Konami talking about GuitarFreaks should have been Guitar Hero. Rubicon was the formula that could have been Homeland or even just a much more watched show in today's political climate, but it arrived too early. :(

Still, interesting article.

So when do they make the Rock Revolution of TV shows?

beat

We should've stopped Paul Lee in 2013 when he kept on moving Happy Endings around the schedule to the point where the ratings got so bad that USA didn't want it and then cancelled it. AND that there's still no proper DVD release of season 3! *shakes fist*

USA doesn't know how to deal with sitcoms anyways. See dithering on Playing House and sending Benched out with no support over the holidays.

ivysaur12

Banned
BREAKING: Oh man these broadcast drama pilots

BREAKING: I never want to read anyone as described as "sexy" or "beautiful" in a script again, unless it's absolutely important to that character. Ditto for "sexy, but she doesn't know it." If she's sexy… she knows it.

Sober

BREAKING: I never want to read anyone as described as "sexy" or "beautiful" in a script again, unless it's absolutely important to that character. Ditto for "sexy, but she doesn't know it." If she's sexy… she knows it.
Gonna make a note to stop using those myself. tyvm ivy

Never met a girl that was sexy but didn't know it.

There's some truth here.

Not surprised by Agent Carter's dwindling numbers at all. It was off for a week, and even though last night was the best of the four episodes aired so far it's still boring.

She just can't stand on her own against ABC's history of powerful female woman. Though I would love to see what Shonda could do in the Marvel Universe!!!

I'm not surprised to see Agent Carter drop a bit, but it's still really disappointing. Taking a break so early in the run was silly. Should just pushed it an hour earlier.

I hope it rebounds next week, it's a great show.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I...actually do too.
Hey, what about Amy Sherman-Palladino?

What if it was an older superheroine who moves to a small town in California and trains some teenaged girls who are also trying to become superheroines, but one of them ends up pregnant and then the show ends on a cliffhanger.

#SaveBunheads

Sober

Hey, what about Amy Sherman-Palladino?

What if it was an older superheroine who moves to a small town in California and trains some teenaged girls who are also trying to become superheroines, but one of them ends up pregnant and then the show ends on a cliffhanger.

#SaveBunheads
But all the Marvel fans would hate it.

Which means it might be good.

maxcriden

But all the Marvel fans would hate it.

Which means it might be good.

Eh. Seems like a wide brush. I think a couple of Marvel's movies have been pretty fun (though I find plenty very over-rated), S.H.I.E.L.D. has improved considerably, and Carter has been a very clever and fun throwback show.

This is not necessarily true. The ugly duckling syndrome is a real thing. I personally know at least one woman who suffers from that.

The opposite can also be true. Some sexy on her teen years that then lets herself go, but still thinks she's hot.

I just finished watching Ascension. I remember reading here that it was crap, but I liked it quite a bit. I guess it helps I went in blind. Some of the characters are useless, but the premise was interesting enough that I kept watching and now I want more. Feels like it ended too soon.

Given Carter flopping, SHIELD declining from S1, and Flash tying/outperforming SHIELD some nights despite being on a much lower-rated network (and hopefully Supergirl becoming a hit for CBS), maybe Paul Lee will start to reconsider his stance on Marvel. Perhaps superhero-adjacent espionage dramas don't actually appeal to a broader audience than actual superhero shows after all?

Given Carter flopping, SHIELD declining from S1, and Flash tying/outperforming SHIELD some nights despite being on a much lower-rated network (and hopefully Supergirl becoming a hit for CBS), maybe Paul Lee will start to reconsider his stance on Marvel. Perhaps superhero-adjacent espionage dramas don't actually appeal to a broader audience than actual superhero shows after all?

I think it has a lot more to do with season 1 of SHIELD being absolutely terrible. Once you lose people is really hard to get them back. Even though it's found its groove, I think starting off with monster of the week and really low stakes was a mistake. A mistake they might not be able to recover from.

I don't get why this is surprising. The rap industry is colossal in this country. Huge. A decently written show that revolves around that industry was bound to do huge numbers.

I feel like black character shows are running TV right now.

Empire
Blackish
House of Lies
Scandal
HTGAWM

It can't be a coincidence, especially since 5 years ago you were lucky to even get a relevant black character on a long running TV show.

Patryn

I think it has a lot more to do with season 1 of SHIELD being absolutely terrible. Once you lose people is really hard to get them back. Even though it's found its groove, I think starting off with monster of the week and really low stakes was a mistake. A mistake they might not be able to recover from.

But wasn't a lot of those early mistakes the fact that it was doing its best to not be a superhero show?

A lot of the reason this season has been great is that it's been really embracing its comic origins and not trying to be a generic action-adventure series.

I feel like black character shows are running TV right now.

Empire
Blackish
House of Lies
Scandal
HTGAWM

It can't be a coincidence, especially since 5 years ago you were lucky to even get a relevant black character on a long running TV show.

I like to point out that in one season, 2012 maybe, the only black lead character on network TV was Cleveland, of the Cleveland Show, who is voiced by a white guy.

Can you imagine the ratings for The Walking Dead if they didnt have a 1 male black character limit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom