• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014-15 TV Cancellations: Under the Dome canned, what will CBS do with CG cows next?

Status
Not open for further replies.
is TBS getting completely out of original sitcoms, or are there some new ideas coming down the pike? I enjoyed Men at Work and Cougar Town, but pretty much hated their others. I'd still like to see them try. What can I say, I like sitcoms...

Patryn

is TBS getting completely out of original sitcoms, or are there some new ideas coming down the pike? I enjoyed Men at Work and Cougar Town, but pretty much hated their others. I'd still like to see them try. What can I say, I like sitcoms...

Kevin Reilly just took over. Likely clearing the board for his stuff.

They have a pilot in development about survivors of the plane crash. Basically comedy-LOST.
Every week, I think Empire has reached its peak... and every week...

https://twitter.com/TVMoJoe/status/568441650629840897
DAMN. Is it good or what? Why so many people watch it?

Fladam

The new Rashida Jones cop comedy is still coming... Right?

They have a pilot in development about survivors of the plane crash. Basically comedy-LOST.

DAMN. Is it good or what? Why so many people watch it?

the show is a hot mess of a good time. you got lots of elements pulled from all types of shows and it's blended into empire. there's not one thing you can complain about the show because it does it so well.

Palmer_v1

Comedy-LOST? Lost was drama/scripted Survivor, and Survivor was unscripted/game-show Gilligan's Island, so...........

edit:

I think so. I'm actually looking forwards to this one.

Sooo.... we clearly need to remake Gilligan's Island. Benedict Cumberbatch for Gilligan, Idris Elba for the professor....

I have no idea what I'm doing.

Pachimari

I'm trying to catch up to all of the shows. The only ones I'm up to date with are Agents of Shield, The Vampire Diaries and The Originals. And tonight I will probably have caught up with Arrow and The Flash too. Then I got 2 episodes of Agent Carter to watch. After that I'm gonna catch up with Jane the Virgin and Constantine. I have wwatched one episode of Empire and it rocks, while I started up Broad City - Season 1 today and the first 15 minutes have been great.

I started watching tv shows 3 years ago with The Vampire Diaries, and I'm impressed with tthe quality on tv.

Empire adjusted up to a 5.2

It reminds me a conversation from the other day about how one can never have a hit these days because there are 1000 TV shows on 1000 channels and viewers have too many choices.

I said the problem is the networks arent making what people want.

Funny how that works.

Fladam

I am legitimately stunned at Empire. I've never seen anything like that since I started having a fleeting interest in TV.

Agreed. I've been reading TV ratings for too many years and I can't recall anything like this. Summer of Millionaire, maybe, but in this landscape it is really unprecedented.

ivysaur12

Banned
It reminds me a conversation from the other day about how one can never have a hit these days because there are 1000 TV shows on 1000 channels and viewers have too many choices.

Funny how that works.

Well, no. No one said that there can't be a hit. Just that in such a fragmented audience, having a hit is much rarer and with a smaller ceiling.

Saying "well, if Empire can do it, why can't the rest of our shows?" is a very short sighted and incorrect take away from Empire's success. It's an anomaly. Now, we can parse out WHAT made Empire successful, but trying to replicate or expect that success is extemely foolish.

beat

Funny how that works.
But viewers do have more choices. A viewer-hour spent on a niche cable show is one less to go towards a hit show. In 1998, albeit in an Easter week, NBC was the first-ranked network with an average above Empire's best-ever performance. In 1997, NBC's aggressively mediocre Union Square (which only had one season) had 20M viewers, which was disappointing. Empire had 13M and is a breakout hit. I actually watched an episode or two of it, and I guarantee you people were not clamoring to see Union Square.

Also, name any other show in TV history that grew steadily over five weeks.

^Walking Dead grew season to season which is even more impressive than week to week

Well, no. No one said that there can't be a hit. Just that in such a fragmented audience, having a hit is much rarer and with a smaller ceiling.

Saying "well, if Empire can do it, why can't the rest of our shows?" is a very short sighted and incorrect take away from Empire's success. It's an anomaly. Now, we can parse out WHAT made Empire successful, but trying to replicate or expect that success is extemely foolish.

I believe you said the Walking Dead was an anomaly that cant be replicated.

Empire is different in every way, and yet here we are, it's a mega hit.

You cant have all shows do it, because then they wouldnt be hits, theyd be average. But it just shows that being happy with a 2.1 doesnt make much sense because the audience is still there to do better.

Shrugging shoulders and saying the audience is gone is wrong.

ivysaur12

Banned
You cant have all shows do it, because then they wouldnt be hits, theyd be average. But it just shows that being happy with a 2.1 doesnt make much sense because the audience is still there to do better.

Shrugging shoulders and saying the audience is gone is wrong.

Nope. This is absolutely the incorrect assumption that you should take from Empire's success. If this is how television executives acted, we wouldn't have television anymore.

The best way to look at it is FX -- FX (had) Sons, which was one of the top shows on cable TV. Same with AHS. But they also had lower rated shows like Justified and The Americans, which still make money, though not as much as Sons. Is the answer -- cancel every show that doesn't do as well as Sons and AHS? No. Those are anomalies. You can't replicate that success.

I just want to emphasize that I literally couldn't disagree with what you're saying more. It's a huge fear I have about the takeaway from Empire.

Nope. This is absolutely the incorrect assumption that you should take from Empire's success. If this is how television executives acted, we wouldn't have television anymore.

The best way to look at it is FX -- FX (had) Sons, which was one of the top shows on cable TV. Same with AHS. But they also had lower rated shows like Justified and The Americans, which still make money, though not as much as Sons. Is the answer -- cancel every show that doesn't do as well as Sons and AHS? No. Those are anomalies. You can't replicate that success.

I just want to emphasize that I literally couldn't disagree with what you're saying more. It's a huge fear I have about the takeaway from Empire.

No, thats not what I said, at all.

Im just thinking of NBC a couple of years ago where launching a new show at 2.1 was considered fantastic and having a returning show do above 1.0 was good enough. And this is coming from someone who loves the low rated shows.

Whats dangerous is thinking that thats good enough and nothing can be done to bring in more viewers.

"2.0 is the new normal because Netflix and FX"

No. We had Netflix and FX 10 years ago and nobody in their right mind would have been happy with a 2. Empire and TWD show that they shouoldnt be happy today.

GTAV sold 40m

Cancel all AAA games that aren't swinging for that. Don't settle for less.

Yes, my point exactly.

For fucks sake.

ivysaur12

Banned
No, thats not what I said, at all.

Im just thinking of NBC a couple of years ago where launching a new show at 2.1 was considered fantastic and having a returning show do above 1.0 was good enough. And this is coming from someone who loves the low rated shows.

Whats dangerous is thinking that thats good enough and nothing can be done to bring in more viewers.

"2.0 is the new normal because Netflix and FX"

No. We had Netflix and FX 10 years ago and nobody in their right mind would have been happy with a 2. Empire and TWD show that they shouoldnt be happy today.

Yes, my point exactly.

For fucks sake.

Your point is that in a fragmented market, we should base all of our potential off of anomalies that can't be replicated and not stick with lower-rated but stable shows.

Instead of anything like a Goldbergs -- which is going to make Sony and ABC millions of dollars -- we should cancel them because we can do better than a 2.2!

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
do we know what the deal with Agent Carter is? I thought it was a 1 time only thing while Shield was off the air, but not only did it have little to do with Agents of Shield, Carter could easily have more seasons in it from what we've seen on the show. I for one really enjoyd season 1, so have there been any inklings that this might come back again next year?

Your point is that in a fragmented market, we should base all of our potential off of anomalies that can't be replicated and not stick with lower-rated but stable shows.

Instead of anything like a Goldbergs -- which is going to make Sony and ABC millions of dollars -- we should cancel them because we can do better than a 2.2!

Can you show me where I said we should cancel anything?

Also, now that our viewing habits are so fragmented, why is it that the box office is as strong as ever? I mean, what kind of chump would pay $15 to see a movie at a fixed time when they have access to thousands of movies free at home? Sure, back in the day it was the theater or nothing, but now a days, if we apply your excuse, movies should be seeing declines every year

Blaming everyone for your own problems is not going to lead to a solution.

You being the networks, not YOU

beat

Also, now that our viewing habits are so fragmented, why is it that the box office is as strong as ever? I mean, what kind of chump would pay $15 to see a movie at a fixed time when they have access to thousands of movies free at home?
Movies did decline when TV first came out. You might want to look into how many tickets used to be sold before TVs were a thing. (per capita)

As for now, well, the middle market in film has largely dried up, much as it has for games. It's blockbuster (AAA in videogame terms) or indie, but the mid-level performers aren't there any more. This might be why movie studios are going so full bore for superhero movies, BTW.

Ticket sales have been flat to slight decline for the last 15 years or so, which of course is even worse if you consider the population has been increasing over that time: about 40M more people overall.

(By the same token, total viewing hours of TV -- which I would say is equivalent to total ticket sales of movies -- has not collapsed, not at all. But it has fragmented. Congratulations, by your chosen analogy, there is no problem with TV!)

Anyways, TV is seeing some of the same issues in a different way. You got a TV station, you gotta fill the time somehow, and while reality shows might fill time here and there, they don't have very much moneymaking potential for syndication, etc. So you gotta do something scripted some of the time, but they won't be hits. Kind of like how mid-market movies aren't being made much any more.

ivysaur12

Banned
Empire is hitting series lows every week with white audiences. But it's doing a 24 share with African-American audiences that's higher than some Super Bowls.

So.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
They should get Macklemore to guest star. Now there's a guy with something to say. #auditthefederalreserve #wheresmyhistorymonth #tcot

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom