• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 High-Res PC Screenshot Thread of the Last Hope for Image Quality

14209427410_5597405ca1_o.jpg

14392660611_0c1714c1bf_o.jpg

Pakoe

11520x6480 -> 1920x1080:
https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3911/14396657405_9b69e6761a_o.png[IMG]
[IMG]https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2938/14395301782_2351a5b874_o.png[IMG][/QUOTE]

Mind = nuked at the possibility of 12k. Jesus have mercy.

Tnecniv

Neo Member
Mind = nuked at the possibility of 12k. Jesus have mercy.
It is crazy for sure.

Wow! And all it takes is 12K. That IQ almost makes me want to play Star Trek...almost. I think I only got to about where you are in these last shots before losing interest, does it get any better?
Will have to say, no. The story is decent but that's about it, imo. Gedosato and screenshot nerd in me are the only things keeping me going.

So many pngs. why.png
To help save bandwidth, I can start uploading jpgs? My next batch of pics (Dishonored) are still in png though.

Tnecniv

Neo Member
It is crazy for sure.

Will have to say, no. The story is decent but that's about it, imo. Gedosato and screenshot nerd in me are the only things keeping me going.

To help save bandwidth, I can start uploading jpgs? My next batch of pics (Dishonored) are still in png though.
Scratch that. Decided to delete those pngs, and will just recapture with 100% jpg. Going forward, I'll start posting 100% jpg to help save bandwidth since I post so many screenshots.

The problem isn't PNGs per say. It's the MASSIVE PNGs for no reason. The last page had 1920x1080 PNGs that were 8MB.

I uploaded a few PNGs myself to show that they don't have to be huge. On average, max quality JPGs only save me about 500kb per image at 1080p.

2.5MB
cKUIlDd.png

2.8MB
ViIzyYs.png

BONKERS

ahahahahah Transferring of my kick to your face. 90% complete!

I have been selected for the Closed beta last night.

Tried for half an hour and my feeling is that this game is a stupid BF4 dlc sold at full price.

Nothing special anyway, same graphics, same gameplay...Maybe even a little worse.

I'd just be happy if they could deliver something as solid and balanced as Bad Company 2 after all the patches, but with a 60Hz tickrate and 60Hz update rates for everything else.

That'll never happen though.

midhras

Oh shit yeah, I've been enjoying 120Mbit internet for too long to appreciate load times. That's also why I think I stopped posting here for a good while. I hate having to put these on a flickr (where I essentially backup my shots) and reduce them to 1080p. I'll have to find another place to host the shots I want to share here then.

That said, I agree with neoenigma. If you use a good PNG crushing algorithm (like the ones built into Photoshop, Faststone) or when you use dedicated software to reduce the size, while keeping them lossless, they come very close to 100% jpgs. And well... lossless beats lossy.

Tnecniv

Neo Member
The problem isn't PNGs per say. It's the MASSIVE PNGs for no reason. The last page had 1920x1080 PNGs that were 8MB.

I uploaded a few PNGs myself to show that they don't have to be huge. On average, max quality JPGs only save me about 500kb per image at 1080p.

2.5MB
cKUIlDd.png

2.8MB
ViIzyYs.png
Yeah, most of my pngs are in the 3-5MB range. If that's acceptable, should I just stick with png?

Just to be clear I'm not trying to be a fun or quality sponge, but when max quality jpegs in Photoshop are indistinguishable from pngs and my 50Mb connection can't load the page, there is something wrong.

midhras

I didn't have problems when I was on a slower bandwidth than that. Not that filesizes without limit are what I'm trying to propose, but the problem might be RAM related? Or something else? All it took for me when I had a slower line was time. And I usually let this page load while I did some other stuff.

Spazznid

So when I try downsampling in Skyrim with all my mods and ENB on, my character's face is covered in black. Like a really black shadow or something. Go back to 1080p and it's normal, 1620p or 4K and black... wtf?

midhras

So when I try downsampling in Skyrim with all my mods and ENB on, my character's face is covered in black. Like a really black shadow or something. Go back to 1080p and it's normal, 1620p or 4K and black... wtf?

I just bet that this is a RAM issue. You're out of memory perhaps. Usually the black face bug is present in NPC's after editing them in some way. But seeing as this is resolution-related... yeah... RAM.

Spazznid

I just bet that this is a RAM issue. You're out of memory perhaps. Usually the black face bug is present in NPC's after editing them in some way. But seeing as this is resolution-related... yeah... RAM.

CTRL+F4 a bunch fixes the issue :p I overclocked a bit and now I'm almost Peachy...

Anywhays, Skyrim crashed, which means take a break and weed out the screenshots, and post the survivors. So here.

14215026660_4d57d11eae_o_d.png

14214973809_c964690c63_o_d.png

One3rd

ahahahahah Transferring of my kick to your face. 90% complete!
I'm glad you got that! Since I can't seem to get rid of the enhanced reality HUD tags that hover over everything, I've been trying to incorporate them into some of my shots.

Oh shit yeah, I've been enjoying 120Mbit internet for too long to appreciate load times. That's also why I think I stopped posting here for a good while. I hate having to put these on a flickr (where I essentially backup my shots) and reduce them to 1080p. I'll have to find another place to host the shots I want to share here then.

That said, I agree with neoenigma. If you use a good PNG crushing algorithm (like the ones built into Photoshop, Faststone) or when you use dedicated software to reduce the size, while keeping them lossless, they come very close to 100% jpgs. And well... lossless beats lossy.
Firstly, loving your shots, please continue posting. The DS2 shots are sublime!

120Mbit! I'm lucky to get 12Mbit on my ADSL2+ line here. Australia loves technology but our politicians hate the internet.

So ya, I agree with trying to minimize image sizes if not too much trouble, the recent spat of 4k PNG's people posted a couple weeks ago takes a chunk out of my download quota. Links to the full images are always welcome!

14400572314_03544c78a9_o.png

14398306731_942305d60e_o.png

I really like the satin finish on metal surfaces...textures are not so bad after all.

120Mbit! I'm lucky to get 12Mbit on my ADSL2+ line here. Australia loves technology but our politicians hate the internet!

Believe me, in Italy is much worse than in your country. Dont complain yourself! :p

Tnecniv

Neo Member
120Mbit. It more than doubles my connection speed at home and work, combined; I get 30Mbit at home, 20 at work.

14217364138_0a7381d9e4_o.png

14400767671_bf6581da20_o.png

Star Trek, it's tough getting a good angle to capture - game has a lot of fugly textures and basic geometry.

"Metro: Last Light Pre Redux"

Already a stunning look game, I don't think the PC version is getting anything added to the graphics. My understanding is just the original game will basically be redone in the newer LL engine (and the consoles get the 'high' type PC settings I'd guess).

Amazing Wolfenstein shots Jim and Spawn :)

Tnecniv, image quality is superb. The face texture especially!

Midhras, awesome first Skyrim shot (on the horse), one of the best I've seen in a long time!

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
To make this easier for everyone, if you have photoshop, here's a really simple guide to taking a big group of images and saving them as max quality JPEG's and easily resizing.

Drag all your images into photoshop
Go to file>scripts>image processor
This dialog box will come up, select use open images, save in same location, save as JPEG, quality at 12, and if you want - resize to a specific resolution.

After that's done, there will just be a new folder within the original folder that says "JPEG" that has all the images saved at max quality with a much smaller file size.

Another really convenient option that comes from that is the 4th section, actions. So, if you need to do something in batch to your images (for example, crop two pixels off the right side to remove a weird border line) before saving, you can just have it automatically apply it to everything which can be a huge time saver.

Top Bottom