• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 NBA Finals |OT| Some dude guarantees they will win it all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Particle Physicist

between a quark and a baryon
I'm saying prove me wrong bro, prove me wrong.

How can I prove a straw man wrong? A) Preferring the Spurs to win is not the same as hating Lebron and the Miami Heat B) I was able to vote more than once just now on those polls. C) The world-wide vote count is around 13,000 and I seriously doubt those are all unique votes.

You still have not proven that the world hates the Miami Heat.

How can I prove a straw man wrong? A) Preferring the Spurs to win is not the same as hating Lebron and the Miami Heat B) I was able to vote more than once just now on those polls. C) The world-wide vote count is around 13,000 and I doubt those are all unique votes.

You still have not proven that the world hates the Miami Heat.

I certainly offered more than you have so far. Your side of this argument is basically find me something and then I'm gonna find ways to invalidate it while providing nothing of my own. I'm not sure how I'm supposed to work with that.

Particle Physicist

I certainly offered more than you have so far. Your side of this argument is basically find me something and then I'm gonna find ways to invalidate it while providing nothing of my own. I'm not sure how I'm supposed to work with that.

Dude. You said that the world hates Lebron and the Heat. The poll you posted says nothing about hating the team.

but if you really want another fucken online poll, how about this:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...as-most-popular-player-according-to-espn-poll

How can the world hate Lebron and yet he is the most popular NBA player?

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!

Particle Physicist

Dear god, please stop. I feel like I'm back in 3rd grade.

Are you kidding me? Bam Bam is acting like a little kid."Your opinion is invalid because the whole world hates Obama. Here is an online poll showing that people have an unfavorable view of his current decision with regards to Afghanistan"

Fjordson

You guys realize how childish it is to openly say, how much you hate and dislike people you have never met, right?

I hate...so/so because he doesn't play for my team.

Just breathe, please. Enjoy the competition.
I'm not sure why people are getting so heated over it. It's been a part of sports since forever. Unless they know Lebron personally or something. I mean think of all the bitter rivals over the years in the major sports. It's part of the fun.

So with that being said, fuck Lebron and da Heat :)

HiResDes

I used to kind of dislike the Spurs, but I can't deny being wowed by their ball movement and Tony Parker's play over the years

Jonm1010

Banned
Our views are those of the majority of basketball fans around the world. Please stop belittling other peoples valid posts saying it's just for reactions. We are here to have discussions if you don't like the topic of the discussion that's an issue of your own.
I think what people have time and time taken issue with is arguing without valid evidence to back it up.

And no, posting an online poll is not valid evidence. Anyone who has taken any sort of political science or statistics class should know that(though to be fair he did ask you for a poll).

If online polls meant anything Ron Paul would be president right now.

But frankly I could give two shits what the global feeling toward lebron is. It is a silly conversation. Then again plenty of mine have been too so I guess I haven't any room to talk.

I suspect though that feelings toward him are rather polarizing. However he does have the top selling jersey so when it comes to putting your money with who you support, lebron has more people out there wearing his jerseys then anyone else...then again how many other players have such vehement detractors and memes about his shortcomings?

Fjordson

The team or player at the top is always polarizing. People hate the Yankees, the Lakers, the Patriots when they were winning Super Bowls, Duke and Kentucky basketball, Real Madrid. Yet they're also among the most popular teams in their respective sports. It's nothing new. It's just a bit more focused with Lebron because a single player can be a much bigger factor on his own in basketball than in some other sports like football or baseball.

Man, no one is arguing that online polls are scientifically valid. But Gallup doesn't do daily Lebron polls so you can't have such standards when it comes to this conversation. ESPN didn't think that way when they made a daily hour long show literally based around these polls. Having said that does my statement that a majority dislike the Heat strike any of you as so unrealistic that I would need to go out and prove it scientifically?

http://www.businessweek.com/article...-the-nba-finals-just-to-see-lebron-james-lose

This is what the latest poll from ESPN suggests, anyway. Despite multiple titles and Most Valuable Player awards, Miami’s small forward is nowhere near Michael Jordan’s peak popularity. In fact, among casual fans, James was more popular before he left Cleveland and won all those titles; the now-infamous 2010 Decision seems to have permanently tarnished the King’s crown.

According to ESPN, its poll results suggest that these viewers are not tuning in to watch James win:

An interesting thing happened in last season’s playoffs. Over the Eastern Conference finals and NBA Finals, ratings went down four of six times after Heat victories. That’s tough to accomplish considering that ratings tend to go up as a series progresses.

Not just an online poll:

The ESPN Sports Poll is conducted via telephone 350 days per year among a random nationally representative sample of Americans age 12 and older, including landline and cell phone-only respondents, and English and Spanish language interviews. In this study, interviews were selected from the first day of the NBA regular season through the last day of the NBA Finals for each year.

Who here likes Lebron James? I hear he's the king.

No!

Paul is the King!

l.jpg

"I am the King"

;) Might need to live in my area to know who that is.

The team or player at the top is always polarizing. People hate the Yankees, the Lakers, the Patriots when they were winning Super Bowls, Duke and Kentucky basketball, Real Madrid. Yet they're also among the most popular teams in their respective sports. It's nothing new. It's just a bit more focused with Lebron because a single player can be a much bigger factor on his own in basketball than in some other sports like football or baseball.

People hate the team at the top WHO SPENDS ABSURD AMOUNTS OF MONEY and uses strange tactics to get by that may be considered cheating or below the belt for some. People don't just hate top teams. There are legions of good top teams loved the world over, but usually dynasties are bought with a lot of money, bringing in some hate. If they showboat well then you have a perfect storm.

Yup and guys like Battier, Haslem, and Allen used to be considered great veterans. But now they areven all "unlikeable".

Funny thing is the Heat also play really efficient team ball. You know the same things people bring up when they claim Spurs basketball is so fun to watch. But the Heat are unlikeble be a use reasons.

If you say they are unlikeable because of foul crying or flopping then that's 99% of the teams/players in the league.

They also never get into any trouble outside the sport. Are excellent teamates who all sacrificed their games to fit this system. Some took less money to be a part of a great team. They do everything right, they don't trash talk other opponents.

But yes they are hated. Shows how pathetic most people are that they let one dumb event cloud their judgement on everything.

I didn't know all those other guys were "hated". LeBron, I could see, he's just too good. Wade, because of 2006 finals. I like everyone else on that team but I like the spurs more even though they knocked off my Blazers.

Particle Physicist

Man, no one is arguing that online polls are scientifically valid. But Gallup doesn't do daily Lebron polls so you can't have such standards when it comes to this conversation. ESPN didn't think that way when they made a daily hour long show literally based around these polls.

http://www.businessweek.com/article...-the-nba-finals-just-to-see-lebron-james-lose

Not just an online poll:

Your link also says this:

If the trend ESPN observed holds (and with the appropriate caveats about statistical significance, sample size, etc.), we would expect to see ratings go up after Heat losses. Instead, the ratings went down after each Heat loss. And the ratings went up after two of the three non-elimination Heat wins. It’s too soon to tell if this pattern was an aberration, or an indication that rooting for LeBron to lose has lost some of its appeal.

Their conclusion about why viewership dropped is not necessarily correct either. People also like to watch the underdog win. It could also very well be that casual viewership drops when the underdog loses.

That article also links to this: http://espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2014/story/_/page/mindoffan/how-fans-see-lebron-james

nba_Slide201jr_576x432.jpg

nba_Slide301jr_576x432.jpg

White people hate LeBron:
The reluctance of white fans to embrace LeBron again is the principle reason his overall popularity lags behind what it was with the Cavs.

Granted, I also did say poll, but I assumed people here were intelligent enough to understand how completely unreliable online polling is.

Having said that does my statement that a majority dislike the Heat strike any of you as so unrealistic that I would need to go out and prove it scientifically?

You completely dismissed Vorheez by stating he was belittling people due to the majority of the world hating LeBron. That was my issue, but considering that LeBron not only has the top selling jersey worldwide, but also the top selling shoe, I seriously doubt your statement is correct.

I get it, lots of people hate LeBron with a passion. Mainly white folk I guess, but stop dismissing peoples opinions and conflating your own opinion with that of everyone else.

Pastry

Banned
At the game, traffic was terrible. Took an hour to get here, there's a high school graduation next door. I can confirm the AC is working though.

Fjordson

I get it, lots of people hate LeBron with a passion. Mainly white folk I guess, but stop dismissing peoples opinions and conflating your own opinion with that of everyone else.
Wtf lol, now this is a race thing?

Edit: didn't see that poll. That's...really weird. Not sure what the difference is between Lebron and all the other black players in the NBA.

Your link also says this:

Their conclusion about why viewership dropped is not necessarily correct either. People also like to watch the underdog win. It could also very well be that casual viewership drops when the underdog loses.

That article also links to this: http://espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2014/story/_/page/mindoffan/how-fans-see-lebron-james

nba_Slide201jr_576x432.jpg

nba_Slide301jr_576x432.jpg

White people hate LeBron:

Granted, I also did say poll, but I assumed people here were intelligent enough to understand how completely unreliable online polling is.

You completely dismissed Vorheez by stating he was belittling people due to the majority of the world hating LeBron. That was my issue, but considering that LeBron not only has the top selling jersey worldwide, but also the top selling shoe, I seriously doubt your statement is correct.

I thought I was supposed to be the strawman here. Also, nice subtle jab there on the intelligence bit. Highest selling jersey and shoe doesn't mean much other than he does have a die hard following. Unless you think the majority of NBA fans are buying his gear.

Particle Physicist

Wtf lol, now this is a race thing?

Edit: didn't see that poll. That's...really weird. Not sure what the difference is between Lebron and all the other black players in the NBA.

Yeah, I was referring to that poll. Kinda weird. I wonder why that is? Maybe they don't like his hairline?

Particle Physicist

I thought I was supposed to be the strawman here. Also, nice subtle jab there on the intelligence bit. Highest selling jersey and shoe doesn't mean much other than he does have a die hard following. Unless you think the majority of NBA fans are buying his gear.

You ignored everything else, nice.

But personally, sold jerseys and shoes speaks to his popularity and is a bit more reliable than online polls. Do you know how merchandizing works? Die hard fans are not usually enough to propel sales of an item above the rest. The sales of his jersey has actually been trending upward. It was number 3 or so last year I believe.

There is really not much else to say. This whole shit is pretty ridiculous as is.

C4Lukins

You ignored everything else, nice.

But personally, sold jerseys and shoes speaks to his popularity and is a bit more reliable than online polls. Do you know how merchandizing works? Die hard fans are not usually enough to propel sales of an item above the rest. The sales of his jersey has actually been trending upward. It was number 3 or so last year I believe.

The Dallas Cowboys are probably the most loved and most hated franchise in football, and the same applies to the New York Yankees. The same applies to Lebron and the Heat, who apparently passed up the Lakers as the favorite NBA team in the US, but yet around 65% percent of the country is routing for the a Spurs. Not because they love the Spurs, but they hate them less.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom