• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 NBA Off-season |OT| Our cap is tellin me NO! But my fandom is tellin me YEAH!

Cloudy

Banned
This is some bullshit Miami is doing. Why are people praising obvious collusion by players with other income streams to drive down wages for a competitive advantage? Now the idiotic media will be expecting this from other players and teams gain another tool to strong-arm players with

Vestal

This is some bullshit Miami is doing. Why are people praising obvious collusion by players with other income streams to drive down wages for a competitive advantage? Now the idiotic media will be expecting this from other players and teams gain another tool to strong-arm players with

What exactly is wrong with it. Are you bitching at exactly what Duncan, Manu and Parker do?

PBY

Banned

The players are taking back the power from the owners. If anything, be mad at the owners for putting in such a low max ceiling that incentivizes players to do this.

Cheddahz

Banned
If Wade wasn't opting out, I would highly think that Lebron would be leaving, but it just looks like they'll be taking smaller paychecks to hopefully bring in a deeper bench or something (shame really, I was hoping Lebron would go somewhere else)

Cloudy

Banned
What exactly is wrong with it. Are you bitching at exactly what Duncan, Manu and Parker do?

Those guys never took less on their primes. Long term this is bad for the players. Guys will now feel undue pressure to do collusion deals like this instead of everyone just worrying about their own contracts

PBY

Banned
Those guys never took less on their primes. Long term this is bad for the players. Guys will now feel undue pressure to do collusion deals like this instead of everyone just worrying about their own contracts
Fix the CBA.

Pimpwerx

What is your moral, ethical or even logical reason for the seemingly arbitrary distinction you make between the different points on their careers. I'll disagree with you with regard to Parker as well. It's the same action. You're being hypocritical.

Also, how is it collusion? Lawyer Stern doesn't agree with you, and he had basketball reasons. PEACE.

Cloudy

Banned
Only Heat fans would think this is good for the players long term. You will just have teams pressuring guys to take less to keep the team together instead of the owner manning up and paying the luxury tax! And they will have the "LeBron, Wade and Bosh did it" excuse to give to fans and media if a guy refuses.

PBY

Banned
Only Heat fans would think this is good for the players long term. You will just have teams pressuring guys to take less to keep the team together instead of the owner manning up and paying the luxury tax! And they will have the "LeBron, Wade and Bosh did it" excuse to give to fans and media if a guy refuses.

Players will not give a single fuck about the "media pressure"if they want more money. The problem is this- they can't reaaally get that much more cash. If they raised the max, this wouldn't happen.

edit: oh, okay, this is a kobe thing.

Siegcram

So in your world owners are just lining up to pay lux tax, but the evil players won't let them?

I'm pretty sure OKC fans would rather have KD, WB and Harden colluding than what they got.

I doubt it will be that high. I guess its 4 years/ 45-50 mil

I'd be shocked if Wade opted out for $5 million extra.

Anyway I have no problem with players colluding and taking some leverage back from the shitty owners. This is the bed they made after the last CBA. They pushed for these dumb max contracts to save themselves some money but in the long run took away the incentives for players to take max deals. Get rid of that shit if you don't want these super teams.

Cloudy

Banned
Players will not give a single fuck about the "media pressure"if they want more money. The problem is this- they can't reaaally get that much more cash. If they raised the max, this wouldn't happen.

edit: oh, okay, this is a kobe thing.

How is it a Kobe thing? What does Miami finding new ways to stack their team have to do with Kobe?

All I know is that something is seriously wrong if the guy regarded as the best in the game isn't making the most money. And that is bad for players long term

Bowser

NOT SO FAST MY FRIENDS [/Lee Corso]

Woj says LBJ wants the max:

In an effort to make a future work together with LeBron James, the Miami Heat's Dwyane Wade, Chris Bosh and Udonis Haslem will opt out of their contracts and become free agents, league sources told Yahoo Sports.

While Bosh, Wade and Haslem could ultimately take less money with the early termination outs in their deals, James, the NBA's four-time MVP, is seeking a full maximum contract extension – or something close to it – to stay with Miami, sources told Yahoo Sports.

James is eligible to sign a five-year, $130 million extension with the Heat.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/dwyane...-keeping-lebron-james-in-miami-173919540.html

PBY

Banned
How is it a Kobe thing? What does Miami finding new ways to stack their team have to do with Kobe?

All I know is that something is seriously wrong if the guy regarded as the best in the game isn't making the most money. And that is bad for players long term

I totally agree. The problem is, the "most" money isn't so much more than the discount that its worth it to give up the help. If the owners paid up, and raised the max, then we wouldn't be here discussing this.

Cloudy

Banned
So in your world owners are just lining up to pay lux tax, but the evil players won't let them?

The luxury tax is purposefully punitive to discourage stacked teams. Circumventing it by players taking less instead of the owner paying more is not good for players in the long term. This seems fairly obvious

rinse82

I'd be shocked if Wade opted out for $5 million extra.

Anyway I have no problem with players colluding and taking some leverage back from the shitty owners. This is the bed they made after the last CBA. They pushed for these dumb max contracts to save themselves some money but in the long run took away the incentives for players to take max deals. Get rid of that shit if you don't want these super teams.

Yep, more like 5/75

The luxury tax is purposefully punitive to discourage stacked teams. Circumventing it by players taking less instead of the owner paying more is not good for players on the long term. This seems fairly obvious

The luxury tax is punitive to put a limit on how much owners want to spend because they want to pocket as much revenue as possible.

Cloudy

Banned
The luxury tax is punitive to put a limit on how much owners want to spend because they want to pocket as much revenue as possible.

Either way going around it with the players making the sacrifice instead of a billionaire owner paying more is not a good look

Either way going around it with the players making the sacrifice instead of a billionaire owners paying more is not a good look

Well the owners got their way last CBA so if it's not a good look that's on them. Maybe they can fix it next time around if they are really trying to insure a "competitive balance" instead of being more concerned with their bottom line. If a team could offer LeBron or Melo $30 or $35 million a year it might make them think twice, but when you force these max ceilings the difference is to small for players to give a shit. Especially when you factor in the Florida tax situation. For LeBron (who makes like 2-3 times his salary in endorsements anyway) why is a matter of a couple million gonna sway him when it comes to deciding where to go?

Tom Penny

Haslem will get a suitcase of money like Kirilenko did from the Nets. Dude is total trash and doesn 't want 4.6? Shady business obviously.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Just read through the draft thread (was on vacation this past week) and some of you are overreacting the the whole Napier thing. Given his experience in college and overall skill level, he was drafted about where he should be, and Charlotte got ample compensation for the pick since they wanted PJ all along and Miami only had to move up 2 spots.

I've only seen him play in college, but if he is a decent ball handler and passer, and can play some D, then its a win for Miami.

Normally I'd point out to Charlotte that their UNC homerism in the infancy of the franchise helped put it in the position it was in. But I think PJ is a great pick for them. Decent size and can shoot. All he needs to do is not do dumb things. Things can go sour in your college career that can sink your hopes as a pro, he needs to realize he was pretty lucky.

Pay LeBron the max then pay everyone else the vet min , the incentive is put all the rings and trophies Pat has got throughout his NBA career and go

"You wanna get paid or get rings".

Then pay everyone under the table

Boom

Cloudy

Banned
One thing I've been hearing in the media and from fans is this notion that Kobe is somehow done so why would any FAs want to come to LA.

Maybe the Lakers were so bad and no one watched the games but this is Kobe's 6th and final game last season

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yj5RhCTufy0

Did Wade even look that good in any Finals game? Serious question

He was just starting to get back to form before he got hurt and the only problems were turnovers due to his timing IMO. He was also playing PG cos we had no healthy players at that position.

If he stays healthy, I have no doubt he will average over 20ppg (I'm assuming his minutes will be in the 30mpg range)

Pimpwerx

The luxury tax is purposefully punitive to discourage stacked teams. Circumventing it by players taking less instead of the owner paying more is not good for players in the long term. This seems fairly obvious
Doesn't matter. The players' split of revenue is percentage based. Any surplus goes in escrow and is split evenly among union members iirc. So this won't effect the players as a whole one penny. Matter of fact, this could mean better wealth distribution among league members. PEACE.

Pimpwerx

One thing I've been hearing in the media and from fans is this notion that Kobe is somehow done so why would any FAs want to come to LA.

Maybe the Lakers were so bad and no one watched the games but this is Kobe's 6th and final game last season

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yj5RhCTufy0

Did Wade even look that good in any Finals game? Serious question

He was just starting to get back to form before he got hurt and the only problems were turnovers due to his timing IMO. He was also playing PG cos we had no healthy players at that position.

If he stays healthy, I have no doubt he will average over 20ppg (I'm assuming his minutes will be in the 30mpg range)
They don't want to play with him because he's not a great player anymore, and still acts like it. He chased happy go lucky Dwight out of town. Dwight is getting along fine in Houston. I'm not sure what evidence you need besides another dry FA and season full of disgruntled superstars. PEACE.

Raptors 20th pick met the media today, I seem to appreciate the pick more based what people are saying regarding his work ethics and talent. I believe in MASAI. 2 years away from being 2 years away. We shall see. 2 years is all he might need. I hope the kid proves the critics wrong, and contributes to be a solid basketball player. Believe in Masai! Raps fans.

Raptors also made qualifying offers to Greivis Vasquez, Patrick Patterson, and Nando de Colo. I hope they accept the offers. Bench production was key to Raptors success. We shall see. I think Lowry signs with Raptors as well.

Furyous

This plays into the players are overpaid angle as well because fans expect players to just take less. I'm all for players making as much as possible. Why should three all-stars play on one team anyway? In your example, the media acts as an arm of the owners in driving fan opinion to the side of take less money. This plays into the resentment angle that some fans have that "these guys didn't earn it". I'll let everyone decipher those code words on their own. GTFOH ring chasing in your prime. As for Lebron...

... HE FUCKING DESERVES IT. He carried DWade to the NBA finals this year anyway. His biggest problem is finding a team with the cap space to afford him. Phil Jackson better have a google alert ready for the minute LBJ is free with pitch in hand. I'm glad we're gradually moving away from three all-stars teaming up to win a chip. Fans of small market teams have to deal with win now pressure forced upon them by stars signing short-term deals with opt out clauses. LBJ is right to demand the full max. He's already a champion future hall of famer right now. DWade can retire, sign a small deal or take a small stake in the team setup through an offshore dummy account. Everybody else needs to fall in line if they want to ring chase further into their careers.

*EDIT*

I like that Raptors pick of the dude that is two years away from being two years away. Teams do this all the time with euro players. They're bringing him to camp and guaranteeing him a roster spot next year according to probasketballtalk. Let him develop against real competition and eventually blossom.

Cloudy

Banned
They don't want to play with him because he's not a great player anymore, and still acts like it. He chased happy go lucky Dwight out of town. Dwight is getting along fine in Houston. I'm not sure what evidence you need besides another dry FA and season full of disgruntled superstars. PEACE.

Gasol has made it clear that he'd love to stay in LA. CP3 was happy to come to LA before Stern nixed the deal. Dwight was happy till the LA media turned on him cos his game is garbage. Not sure exactly who Kobe chased away

PS: Kobe will be a great player till he retires. He is that skilled

Cloudy

Banned
In your example, the media acts as an arm of the owners in driving fan opinion to the side of take less money. This plays into the resentment angle that some fans have that "these guys didn't earn it". I'll let everyone decipher those code words on their own.

Exactly. Here is a prime example:

http://hangtime.blogs.nba.com/2014/06/28/opt-out-and-wade-remains-king-of-miami/

While the overwhelming focus is on what James will do, it is Wade who controls the Heat’s future. He can follow Kobe Bryant and gobble up a significant percentage of his team’s cap space. Of course, Wade, who has earned more than $121 million in salary alone during his 11-year career, can, like the rest of us, gauge Bryant’s title chances over these next two seasons.

No acknowledgement of the fact that LA has enough money to sign TWO max guys to play with Kobe. Just bitter that Kobe is getting paid even though he's earned it 10 times over with what he's done (and will still do) for the team on and off the court...

Cloudy

Banned
Did you just compare one guard's 6th game of the season to another guard's 90~-ish game in the season?

Stay Cloudy.

One game coming off one of the worst injuries you can have as a player while being guarded by Tony Allen mostly. Not like Leonard was guarding Wade in that series...

Not trying to shit on Wade but just showing that skill trumps athleticism and Kobe will age gracefully unlike less-skilled players

A part of me want Bron to get max as an FU and pay me message toward Arrison. Heats market value definitely increased when Bron and Bosh joined Wade (not to mention Wade contributed to it too before 2 arrived). Want them to win more chips obviously but them taking a pay cut just doesnt seem fair a amount of compensation compared to what they have brought (and will bring) to Arrisons franchise.

I cannot blame Dwade either if he doesnt take a pay cut. He deserevs all the money he is getting.

Notlikethis.gif

Pimpwerx

One game coming off one of the worst injuries you can have as a player while being guarded by Tony Allen mostly. Not like Leonard was guarding Wade in that series...

Not trying to shit on Wade but just showing that skill trumps athleticism and Kobe will age gracefully unlike less-skilled players
Wade had his most efficient season of his career last year iirc. Talk of his demise is overblown. PEACE.

Enker

GM position and coach, plus a pay raise. Brooklyn is the crazy one. I thought he did pretty good getting those corpses to the 2nd round. PEACE.

Billy King hasn’t exactly done a bad job. What does Kidd think he’s going to do with a capped out roster? They can’t exactly all opt out tomorrow.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Raptors also made qualifying offers to Greivis Vasquez, Patrick Patterson, and Nando de Colo. I hope they accept the offers. Bench production was key to Raptors success. We shall see. I think Lowry signs with Raptors as well.

Other then Nando neitehr 2Pat or Greivis are going to accept those offers, those are both way below what they should be making and can be making on the open market.

Raps were just doing their due dilliegence to make sure they become RFAs.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
WindhorstESPN
Bucks coach Larry Drew & front office was unaware Jason Kidd was about to interview for their jobs, sources told ESPN

lolllllllll

poor jabari. he would have been better off in cleveland.

Pimpwerx

Billy King hasn’t exactly done a bad job. What does Kidd think he’s going to do with a capped out roster? They can’t exactly all opt out tomorrow.
Agreed, but the Bucks have a few young pieces he can build around. He'd probably want to trade away everyone else.

I'll say this. Kidd was always regarded as one of, if not the smartest players in basketball. He was always pegged as a head coach, and he did a solid job getting the team ready for the playoffs. He's certainly better than Larry Drew who has looked overwhelmed by every coaching job he's ever had. I'd give Kidd the job of I was Milwaukee. Shake things up to get off the treadmill.

Why didn't Kidd do this when Cleveland was looking for a HC?
Because Dan Gilbert is s crazy person. PEACE.

Top Bottom